FM11 - Leeds United FC Thread - "We're not famous any more!"

Coen

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quick update from me - 4th season in the Premier League and we finish 3rd (but still 12 points or something behind the winners so not really challenging for title)

And we won the FA Cup - beating Fulham 2-1 in the final!

Sanogo finished with 38 goals, exceeding the previous seasons total of 32. Top player.

I've only signed 1 new player for the next season, an argentinian regen striker who will hopefully be the top creative forward to play along side Yaya Sanogo.

I am thinking I might well start again once I've won the league (if I can actually manage it within the next few seasons), as I know I've made a lot of mistakes in the 6 seasons I've played so far in terms of bad signings, wasted money etc. I'm doing ok, but I could be doing do much better! :D

Hi guys,

Im now into my 3rd season with Leeds, heres my team:

GK: K.Schmeichel

DR: Coelho

CB: M.Richards

CB: P.Jones

DL: J.Mattock

MR: R.Snodgrass

CM: A.Poli

CM: J.Rodwell

LM: A.Johnson

CF: Y.Sanogo

CF: T.Guarch

L.Guilherme

J.Woodgate

A.White

F.Delph

J.Howson

T.Cairney

R.Soder

A.Bruce

D.Gosling

R.Nunez

M.Gradel

R.McCormack

As you can see i've been reading this thread and took some tips from you guys on who to sign. I've also been buying players that have done well for me in previous seasons like Mattock, Richards, Rodwell and Guilherme. I also like to buy English players if I can and also bring back former Leeds players my next target hopefully being Milner. This seasons buys were Rodwell, Poli, Johnson and Richards costing:

Jack Rodwell - £22M

Andrea Poli - £23.5M

Adam Johnson - £4M

Micah Richards - £2.2M

Both Johnson and Richards were transfer listed at those prices and a steal if you ask me. I play Rodwell at CM with his role set as a Ball Winning Midfielder set to defend and play Poli at CM with his role set as a Advanced Playmaker set to attack. It works really well with Poli being my stand out player this year having played 14 games with 4 goals, 10 assists and a average rating of 7.72. If i were to tell you all to get one player who hasn't already been mentioned in this thread it would be him, he cost abit but is worth ever penny he's very young too.

Were 6th in the table at the moment and my top score is Sanogo with 17 goals in 22 games (Thanks Coen).

back to winning ways with a 5-3 away win at norwich - simeon jackson scoring a hatrick for them, but ross mcCormacks 1st goal of the season, armani's 1st in a decade it seems, maresca with a pen and a double from sub torassa won us it, downside been kyle walker got sent off on the 94th of 93 minutes

Hi All

Just started my career game on this years FM (although will probably start again with the next patch), and thought it was time to get involved in the best thread on the boards!

Had a good pre-season and think i've done a reasonable job with the current squad / budgets given. Transfers below.

Out

Hughes - Loan

Grella - Scunthorpe (210k)

Johnson - Bristol City (800k)

Kilkenny - Burnley (1.8m)

White - Loan

In

Goncalves - Free Agent

Kyle Walker - Loan from Spurs

George Elokobi - Loan from Wolves

Jordi Gomez - Loan from Wigan

Yilidray Basturk - Free Agent

Jeremie Aliadiare - Free Agent

Jorden Spence - Loan from West Ham

Jay DeMerit - Free Agent

Gerard Lifonda - Free Agent

Keith Fahey - Free transfer from Birmingham

Have started the season very well, unbeaten and on top of the league with wins over Norwich & Cardiff away and Millwall, Forest & Swansea at Home. Also a nice 1-0 win over Wigan in the league cup.

I can see that scoring is going to be a massive problem for me, DeMerit is my top scorer at the moment (deadly from set pieces), with Aliadiere injured and out for a month or so and Snoddy not yet fit. I've been reading through the thread and would be grateful for some advice on where / who i should be looking at in January / end of season free's ?

No money left in the pot, it all went in fees, and budget adjustments. Bloody agents.

Also, what kind of transfer budget do we get in the second season in the Championship? As well as i've started, I can't see promotion on the cards this year.

Cheers

Also, what kind of transfer budget do we get in the second season in the Championship? As well as i've started, I can't see promotion on the cards this year.

Cheers

I got about £4.5m for a mid table finish 2nd season.

Finished the 1st season a disappointing 20th, but managed to avoid the sack! Made a fair few signings this season as the defence is obviously a bit suspect, going along nicely in 5th so far after 14 games.

Got a pretty good squad now and dont need any specific position strengthening but just looking out for that extra quality player in any position if you guys have any good reccomendations?

Signings - huuu.jpg?t=1290025714

In regards to the match preparations, I find that TEAM BLEND really does something. It's obvious that my team knows more what it's doing now than before, and I give props to a regular first team lineup and the team blend preparation.

Glad to see some of you guys doing really well, and great job beating ManUtd! Although that's my team in RL =P

In regards to the match preparations, I find that TEAM BLEND really does something. It's obvious that my team knows more what it's doing now than before, and I give props to a regular first team lineup and the team blend preparation.

Good advice, i'll try that.

Yorkshire22, looks like a lot of actvity, your free's look pretty strong and I think Shorey will be a good solid signing. Have a look for a young lad called Mauricio Pereyra (MC/AMC), my scouts liked the look of him, but i got denied a WP in first season, he looks like a quality prospect.

Welcome to to the thread Macca72 - I found scoring goals to be a problem in my first season as well, despite spending far too much money on 5 strikers at the start of the game, McCormack ended up as my top scorer 1st season but with only 9 goals.

2nd season two of the guys I'd bought at the start came good, Etien Velikonja (who cost £150k at the start) ended up top scorer in the 2nd season with 22 goals, and Torstein Andersen Aase (£750k at the start) got 14 goals. Martin Galvan is another good striker prospect who seems to be cheap early on but I've not signed him myself. Leigh Griffiths seems a popular Championship striker, I'll probably try him if/when I get around to starting a new save, and there may be other decent free ones but I didnt really manage to find any (but I wasn't looking as I was happy with Velikonja and Andersen Aase for my 2nd season.)

It's also worth looking out for Calum Davenport who becomes available for a free in the first season, and Jonathon Woodgate on a free at the start of the 2nd season. Key signing for me in the 2nd season was Tom Cairney for about £2m, also Herold Goulon for £500k (looking at my 2nd season signings I signed about 20 players, but apart from those guys they were all rubbish .:D)

Guys, goalscoring is no problem ;) Just use the minimalfuss tactic from the tactics forum. Has made me the top scoring team in the league. The only bad thing is that you concede a bit more too, but that comes with being more offensive I guess.

I would have loved to sign that Bueno guy, can't remember his first name. He scores loads and plays for one of the worst teams in the league. Alongside him I'd like Billy Sharp. He's always been a target of mine, but I never got him either.

Andersen Aase was magic for me in FM08, it's a shame he wouldn't come to me this time. :(

Bah, being beaten by Burnley now. Balls...!

EDIT: Oh, and welcome Macca!

Thanks Coen, appreciated.

I've got Davenport & Goulon on my shortlist now, and just had a look at Griffiths. He looks quality, 16 finishing, 15 pace and 14 composure for a 20 year old, looks very good, might see if i can get anywhere near him in January.

My laptop power is average, so a couple of the names you mentioned aren't on my game, but Galvan is, I'll check him out.

NB: Still unbeaten in the league, but out of the cup on penalties at Burnley....Snoddy is back now, so I'm looking to him to step in and make a difference...

Ha! Rhodes came on after 85 minutes and made it a draw. =) Down to 4th place now though, looks like I'm gonna achieve play offs at least.

What tactics do people here use?

I'm using a 433 / 451 dependant on your opinion...

My issue really is that Becchio isn't really complete enough to do everything in that role well, but to give him his dues, he's doing ok until Aliadiere gets fit again. Best piece of advice i've picked up so far is the use of opposition instructions, never really paid much attention to them in FM10, but it looks like they make a big difference this year.

Amazingly, i'm 9 points clear at the top after 9 games, surely it won't last....DeMerit has 6 goals in 9 games, hope this isn't some sort of glitch in the game, i'll feel cheated if it is !

Thanks Coen and Nicko, I'll look those books up.

On the subject of playing the game in a realistic way - yes it is sooo difficult not to give in to temptation, but on the other hand it makes it last longer and you don't end up with the same taem as everybody else.

Thanks Coen and Nicko, I'll look those books up.

On the subject of playing the game in a realistic way - yes it is sooo difficult not to give in to temptation, but on the other hand it makes it last longer and you don't end up with the same taem as everybody else.

And, it's not as hard on FM11 with agents touting their clients around. You sometimes find some real gems this way.

And, it's not as hard on FM11 with agents touting their clients around. You sometimes find some real gems this way.

That's true, the agents would make it much easier to play a "realistic" game, i.e. only sign players that are brought to your attention by scouts etc. I'll probably give it a go myself with a save at some point, it will be interesting to see which players I end up with.

In a way I end up playing this way anyway after a few seasons as the only players I sign are regens that my scouts tell me about, and I actually prefer that - not quite knowing how they'll turn out etc, instead of signing real players based on forum recommendations that are pretty much guaranteed to develop in to great players. Having to take a risk when signing players makes it more interesting for me.

That's true, the agents would make it much easier to play a "realistic" game, i.e. only sign players that are brought to your attention by scouts etc. I'll probably give it a go myself with a save at some point, it will be interesting to see which players I end up with.

In a way I end up playing this way anyway after a few seasons as the only players I sign are regens that my scouts tell me about, and I actually prefer that - not quite knowing how they'll turn out etc, instead of signing real players based on forum recommendations that are pretty much guaranteed to develop in to great players. Having to take a risk when signing players makes it more interesting for me.

When I filter agents I only look for future prospect players, its the best way.

Right Leeds game up & running

So far 3 wins out of 3 (so far so good)

Heres the team

GK Schmeichel Antal

DR Coelho Raul

DL Dodo Bessone

DC Fabricio Coates Spence

MR Milano Nlundulu

ML Peralta Assulin

MC Pacheco Mingazzini Nunez Mahoto Adriel

ST Armani McCormack Guarch Torassa

Managed to get rid of most players except Higgs Connolly Parker Kissy Bruce Collins Clayton Faye & Snoddy. Will look too offload ASAP

Thought most people played with masked attributes here. That's the fun way! =)

I think I do - that just means you can only see attributes once you've scouted players right?

Right Leeds game up & running

So far 3 wins out of 3 (so far so good)

Heres the team

GK Schmeichel Antal

DR Coelho Raul

DL Dodo Bessone

DC Fabricio Coates Spence

MR Milano Nlundulu

ML Peralta Assulin

MC Pacheco Mingazzini Nunez Mahoto Adriel

ST Armani McCormack Guarch Torassa

Managed to get rid of most players except Higgs Connolly Parker Kissy Bruce Collins Clayton Faye & Snoddy. Will look too offload ASAP

Looks a decent squad there Elland, good luck!

I think I do - that just means you can only see attributes once you've scouted players right?

Looks a decent squad there Elland, good luck!

Cheers Coen.

Yes ground out a couple of 1-0 against Sheff Utd (H) & Barnsley (H) loads of shots all over them like a rash. Won LC 2-0 against Carlisle using Reserve team Carlisle had 1 shot again all over them like a rash.

Problem was 3 strikers were injured Mc Cormack Guarch & Torassa so had to play Armani & Milano every game!!! But they are coming back now albeit slowly.

Apparently Stoke have been showing interest in Bradley. Im not sure why they'd be interested (have they really seen him play?!), but if they are it would explain why he'd be wanting a move.

Its debatable whether he's up to it in the Championship, never mind the Premier League!

Quick update from me, just finished my 4th season in charge and my 2nd in the premiership...

I set the aim of top half finish for my board and where able to do that and so lot more, ended up in 4th place after a really nice season where i was in the continental spot for almost the whole season.

So i am very happy with my progress beating City by one point for the 4th place but still 16 points to the first place, so there are some more work to do.

For the next season i am clearing the squad of some of the overpayed and older players and still going to push up higher to be a contender for the 1st place.

Never really payed much attention to the league cup nor the FA cup and played more the veterans and younger players yet i was able to get to the finals in both winnning the league cup 2-1 against Liverpool, but losing the FA cup to the Weaker United of manchester :(

My main performer was my regen in defence Tidiane N'Diaye

Other great performer are:

Fabian Delph

And my long term injury Mickael Loustaunau who for the second season in row was out for 4 months :( yet able to score 17 (Fernando Torres syndrome much?)

Quick January update (would post some images, but don't know how!)

I'm really shocked at how well it's going, bar an absolute disaster, it's looking like first season promotion. My form has dipped slightly since Christmas, but nothing to panic about, as it stands i'm 18 points clear at the top with 32 games played.

All of my signings have performed, but special mention to DeMerit who is the leagues top scorer with 18 goals (I'm a bit dubious about this, but i've not read anywhere about set piece bugs, so i'm taking it as a bonus!).

The board let me review my expectations, so I told them top half finish (didn't want to tempt fate) and got an extra 3.6m to spend. I bought in Bodde from Swansea (750k), Griffiths from Dundee (500k) and Gosling on Loan from Newcastle to see me through the season. They've all fit in well, especially Griffiths who has 4 in 6 since he joined.

If anyone's interested I'll post some screenshots, providing you can tell me how, preferably without using some online storage site.

6 games to go until the end of the season.

Currently in 2nd place, 4 points behind leaders Ipswich. Had a spell of no wins in 6, so 2nd place is a pleasant surprise!

Lack of goals is my only real problem.. Velikonja has just come back from 8 months out! Guillermo France has 17 in 35 games, and Niflore 12 in 22 games.

Probably going to jinx myself here!, but any recommendations for the step up to the Prem, players/staff e.t.c?

Thanks guys!

Finished top! Last game, needed a win to secure promotion.. Nottm Forest went 1 up which put me in 3rd and play-offs.

Thought i'd tempted fate by asking for Premiership advice until Jeremie Aliadiere bagged a hatrick and Kyle Walker got a late goal also.

So there we have it, finished top on goal difference!

Premiership, bring it on :)

Nice one on promotion KingCarlsen, and great work on getting a top 4 spot in the Premier League Thorovic - you guys are all doing this much quicker than I managed to! :D Sounds like Macca is looking good for a first season promotion too, good stuff!

In terms of signings for the Premier League the key players for me in the Prem have been:

- Tom Cairney (only around £2m)

- Bernardo (but he cost £15m)

- Vaclav Kadlec (he was only £2m)

- the great Yaya Sanogo (over 100 goals for me now over 3 seasons)

- Phil Jones in central defence (he cost me about £9m I think from Blackburn)

- Gonzalo Rodriguez (did a job in defence for a few seasons, he was free)

- Guillermo Ochoa in goal (he cost £7m but I sold him after 1 season after picking up an amazing regen keeper)

- Ogjen Vukojevic in midfield (free)

Apart from those guys the rest of my squad is regens these days.

Good job on the promotion KingCarlsen

When i came first to the premiership i bought mainly regens so wouldnt be able to give much of a advice but i bought:

Simon Church (Reading) and he did well scoring 25 goals in 30 games so he is a good signing if available

Fabian Delph (A. Villa) just bring the boy home he belongs in Leeds

Also some freebies like Jermaine Jenas, Júlio Baptista, Paulo Ferreira, Ognjen Vukojevic and some more, good to just take a look at the transfer history of the clubs in the premiership to find out who they let go...

Hope you will do well in the top fight

Ha! I won the league as well! =D

Manager of the year and two players on Team of the Year (Schmeichel and Kapo).

Now I need to strengthen the squad significantly for the Prem. Looking mainly for right+left back, defensive midfielder and another striker.

For DM I'm thinking about signing Kara from Tromsø in Norway, and I wanna see if I can get Lukaku as well. Defensively I have no idea though. Perhaps some loans, I'm not sure...suggestions?

Scrap that, just signed Sanogo :) £8.5 million over 48 months? should hopefully be worth it!

So, so far:

Tom Cairney - £2.7m

Sebastien Bassong - £3.1m

Yaya Sanogo - £8.5m over 48 months

Looking for a couple of centre mids and a winger now! Could also do with a keeper and some full backs but don't really think I have the money :(

Good Job KingCarlsen, I'm just about to hit August in my first Prem season.

I won the Championship and managed to get to the FA cup final, losing to Everton 2-1 in the final. Had a great run in that though, beating West Ham 6-2 at Upton Park, and beating Chelsea on penalties at Elland Road after a replay!

Life in the Prem is going to be tough, i've bought some decent players in, but i've blown my whole transfer budget (around 27m) and maxed out my wages at 500k per week!

In's

Smithies - Huddersfield (1.4m)

Aissati - Ajax (2m)

Garrido - Lazio (1.7m)

Adam - Blackpool (1.9m)

Delph - Villa (Loan)

Gosling - Newcastle (2m)

Sanogo - Auxerre (Loan with an option to buy for 8.75m)

Kadlec - Prague (1m - Bargain IMO)

Faubert - West Ham (1.8m)

Palacios - Spurs (3.4m - should be very important for me this year)

I'm still woefully short of quality at centre half, with Goncalves and DeMerit still the first choice pairing. Coen, I went after Jones, but at 9m seemed a bit much given how many signings I needed to make.

Also, not much on the right, Snodgrass and McCormack will have to rotate until some more money comes from somewhere. Lescott and Kompany both agreed to talks, but we're looking for upwards of 70k per week...Not today thanks...

KingCarlsen, if you've got the "unrealistic" checkbox ticked, turn it off and bid anyway, that's how i got Aissati and Palacios.

Onto the first friendly, a glamorous trip to Darlington...

Got me some solid signings before the Prem kicks off:

Yaya Sanogo (ST)

Romelu Lukaku (ST)

Henning Hauger (DM)

Guilherme (DL)

Trying to get my hands on Obertan and Cleverley as well. Assulin doesn't have enough potential to do well according to my scouts, so he's gonna be replaced.

EDIT: No good wingers want to come to my club. :( Not even Bellamy lol

macca i assume blackpool got relegated - how did adam perform overall last season? cause I was thinking about him for if and when i get promoted?

They did get relegated, rock bottom with 6 wins and 9 draws. He was poor to be honest, 28 apps and only 3 goals & 2 assists. He was obviously playing in a shocking side, but his stats fit my Advanced Playmaker role. He's a bit of a punt, but at 1.9m that seemed like a decent deal.

EDIT: Salvio is at At Madrid on my game, transfer listed at 3.7m !

yeah maybe worth a try, good back up if nowt else, just got back so gunna have a scout, other wingers may include lubos kalouda, sergei krivets, maybe wijnaldum, not sure about marquinhos whether he will be at a too high profile team but we shall have to see, im only in january 1st season

Archived