FM11 - Leeds United FC Thread - "We're not famous any more!"

Coen

I need to keep it at a certain level of realism for me to stay interested, I need to feel a bond between my players. How sad am I?? ;)

Nah I do know exactly what you mean, I'm reluctant to sell certain players as well even though I know in FM11 terms they're not actually that good.

I've not really tried to sell Howson. Yet.... :D

Nicko is ruthless though, he'd have no hesitation in selling the lot of em to bring his South American all stars in.

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nicko would sell his own mother for £1.2m!!

Not that much surely :p

I only tend to keep the Leeds youngsters who could get in the team, but again you have got to be realistic. What is the point of keeping players that won't get a game?

I personally do not have any sentimentalism, surely the only aim is to get Leeds as high as you can!!!!

So done a load of transfers, not really ended up with what I'd hoped as I couldnt seem to get any of the defenders I was after, but so far it's played 5 won 5 in the League so doing ok. Got stuffed 3-0 by Bolton in the League Cup though.

My first window transfer were:

LeedsUnitedTransfers_History-1.png

I was maybe overdoing it by signing 5 strikers, but 3 were injured in pre season (Guarch is out for 5 months) so I did end up needing them all!

Edit - just to add a few comments on the players I got:

Mingazzini is a defenisive CM, well worth it on a free

Montano is a young prospect, cheap so worth a punt

Signorino is a leftback, another decent free signing

Horava is a very promising CM

Torstein Anderson Aase is probably my favourite of the lot, 6'4" Norwegian striker, he's only 18 but looks like he could develop in to a great target man

Soder is another young scandinavian striker that my scouts rate very highly

Guarch is the young mexican that Nicko found in the demo, I possibly overdid it forking out £2.5m for him and broke his leg in pre-season anyway :D

Velikonja is one of my favourite players from FM10, has the potential to be an excellent striker and at £150k it had to be done

Galitsios is a versatile defender who I picked up when I missed out all my other defensive targets.

I'll need to sort the defence out in January, could still do with a DR (the guy I was after actually failed his medical due to injury but hopefully I'll get him in Jan) and a DC.

(I wasn't too happy with Aidy going to Man Utd but what can you do, I needed the money.I also wasn't actually planning on selling Becchio but because I went a bit over the top on signing strikers he had to make way as I also needed the money)

Currently playing 4-3-3 and it's going ok so far!

I prefer to keep it semi realistic too, don't like leaving players I love behind, has anyone got a 4-5-1 with Becchio uptop working?

I'm using a 4-5-1 and doing pretty well, although I sold Becchio.

My defense is the standard back 4, then in central midfield I've got:

Faye - ball winning (defend)

Howson or Horava - advanced playmaker (attack)

Mingazzini or Clayton - central midfield (support)

The lone striker is either a target man (support) or complete forward (support), with either side of him:

McCormack/Kakuta - AML - inside forward or winger

Nunez/Snodgrass (when fit) - AMR - winger

Overall team strategy is standard with direct passing.

I'm using a 4-5-1 and doing pretty well, although I sold Becchio.

My defense is the standard back 4, then in central midfield I've got:

Faye - ball winning (defend)

Howson or Horava - advanced playmaker (attack)

Mingazzini or Clayton - central midfield (support)

The lone striker is either a target man (support) or complete forward (support), with either side of him:

McCormack/Kakuta - AML - inside forward or winger

Nunez/Snodgrass (when fit) - AMR - winger

Overall team strategy is standard with direct passing.

Ahh cheers mate, I think I'll end up keeping hold of Becchio for now, money needs to be spent else where

Only 2 signings made so far,

I signed Shefki Kuqi on a free, and also signed Emmanuel-Thomas on loan from Arsenal (£0) wages.

I was going to sign DeMerit on a free but he wanted 11k per week ffs!

I think that will do me, at least until January. I just hope to finish mid table this year so the squad should be good enough. Somma has been doing well in pre season and is pushing for a starting spot.

I have just set up a simple 4-4-2 with Targetman at the moment, either Becchio or Kuqi as TM.

Anyone looked at a French kid called H Goulon (spelling) on a free, looks an excellent defensive mid

Just checked him out and he does look very good, he's gone to Blackburn on my game and is now valued at £2m.

Just checked him out and he does look very good, he's gone to Blackburn on my game and is now valued at £2m.

I'm about to load up, him and that Portguese defender are my 2 big free targets, I like my teams to have an English core, so I'm going to sell Killa and replace him with maybe Wellens, who has all the passing of Killa but he can tackle too

Can anyone recommend what leagues to load etc.

Looking for long term save with good regens

I go for most of the leagues from the big European countries, plus Argentina and Brazil, but only with the English ones as playable, the rest as view only. This seemed to work ok for a long term game on FM10.

It will depend on how good your PC is I suppose as to how many you'd want to play with.

I go for most of the leagues from the big European countries, plus Argentina and Brazil, but only with the English ones as playable, the rest as view only. This seemed to work ok for a long term game on FM10.

It will depend on how good your PC is I suppose as to how many you'd want to play with.

Cheers Coen,

I found a post by Amaroq after searching through Forums & this is what was recommended.

All playable (more regens)

Top Leagues Argentina,Brazil,France,Germany,Holland,Spain & Italy.

Plus, Second tier of league you are managing eg. England if Leeds (championship) then League 1

Top division of feeder clubs in your league eg. Poland & Belgium

Plus I loaded all S.American players

Total Count 75000

rbird you got the full game then? how is this possible, i want it :( - works at game or somewhere i bet?

Yes I work for a game store company :D

Just finished the first season and won the Championship!. Was really close with Nott Forest. We would tie a game, they would tie, We would win,they would win. Came down to the second last game of the season we went up on Barnsley 3-0 in the first half then Barnsley stormed back and tied it up then De Guzman scored on a 40 yard shot in extra time! Nott Forest tied at home to Norwich who were bottom of the league!

Just thought I would pop in and say hi. Avid Leeds fan (can't wait for tomorrow, will be a great atmosphere, 6000!). STruggling in the full game though, I quit one game out of frustration after 15 games, in which I was 20th. This time, I lost to Hull first game, but will try to stick to this.

I try to play realitstically with my transfer policy, so I have only signed Jose Concalves and Guillermo Franco. My usual habit hits me, as both get injured for a month 1 week after I sign them. Happens every FM game I have! Its my curse :p

Just thought I would pop in and say hi. Avid Leeds fan (can't wait for tomorrow, will be a great atmosphere, 6000!). STruggling in the full game though, I quit one game out of frustration after 15 games, in which I was 20th. This time, I lost to Hull first game, but will try to stick to this.

I try to play realitstically with my transfer policy, so I have only signed Jose Concalves and Guillermo Franco. My usual habit hits me, as both get injured for a month 1 week after I sign them. Happens every FM game I have! Its my curse :p

Welcome to the thread mate, I'm really looking forward to tomorrows game as well, should be a cracking atmosphere - it's set to be the biggest crowd at the Ricoh Arena in over 2 seasons, and the biggest away support they've ever had there. :D

I can understand not wanting to go over the top with transfers on FM11, but the problem I have is that the Leeds squad is really pretty poor in game so I end up wanting to make major changes anyway. The most success I've had with the starting squad is playing 4-5-1, but having tried that a bit I'm probably going to go back to 4-4-2 long term as I just prefer playing with 2 strikers. I just need to sign some half decent defenders though, the current ones are shocking!

bit of a problem, I've done what you've done with selecting countries as view only but I still cant find certain players such as your 18 year old scandinavian striker and I have all danish norwegian and swedish leagues loaded up? is there a way we can load up all players from a certain nation or am i blind, Im posting now as I wont be able to play now until later on so fingers crossed i will actually get started :)

bit of a problem, I've done what you've done with selecting countries as view only but I still cant find certain players such as your 18 year old scandinavian striker and I have all danish norwegian and swedish leagues loaded up? is there a way we can load up all players from a certain nation or am i blind, Im posting now as I wont be able to play now until later on so fingers crossed i will actually get started :)

I think it must be to do with the custom database - you said you'd loaded all south american players, I think on mine I also selected "Players from Top Division Clubs" in Europe (as well as south american players)

Can anyone recommend what leagues to load etc.

Looking for long term save with good regens

I loaded a LOT of leagues and it runs ok, despite dropping to 1.5star performance, but I have 6GB ram.

I loaded:-

England

Scotland

Italy

Spain

France

All south America

Turkey

USA

Holland

Denmark - all Scandinavian leagues

Greece

Russia

from the top of my head.

with a large database!

Sweet! Leeds united thread... Nice post btw Coen.... See a few faces i remembered from the 2010 thread, time to get started then i think!

-Edit

Just a quick question what database are you guys using the default or the updated 11.1.0? As on the demo I had no trouble what so ever on getting rid of Hughes, Robinson etc. but with the new update nobody seems interested no matter how hard I try!

And, Tugboat your a star! Some of the staff you suggested are real improvements on the current backroom staff. Sadly I only managed to get the board to widen the scouting area but better than nothing.

Pre-season gone pretty well managed to draw with werder bremen not too sure how but scraped through, then beat aston villa 3-2 and got praised by houllier if only the season goes this well. (i doubt it)

Hi JJSaxton, good to see you!

I am on the 11.1.0 database and the only way I was able to get rid of Robinson was to let him go on a free and pay some towards his wages, Hughes I could only get out on loan. I'm in January now and I'm still struggling to shift people like Bruce and Bromby, think I'll give up and just let em rot in the reserves.

Bruce is never playing for me again after getting a match rating of 3.3 in one game, I think that's the worst performance I've ever seen in all my years of FM .:D

Found a 35 year old AML, Gabriel Urdaneta, who my scout rated as 4* current ability only to get gazumped at the final hour and him go elsewhere, so still on the hunt.

Have also brought in a few of the players mentioned in the thread earlier, Goncalves, Signorino, Soder and Horava. On top of these i have added Kyle Walker on loan and Gary O'Connor also on loan from birmingham. Working well as the complete forward in a 4-5-1.

Decided to transform the team, my strongest 11 so far will be once everyones fit:

---------------------Kasper

Connolly--Kisnorbo--Jose G--Parker

---------------------Stock

----------Goulon----------Wellens

Snoddy--------------------------McCourmack

----------------------Griffiths

Howson and Clayton will be brought in slowly, as well as White, plan is to get through balls ontop the pace of Griffiths, could do with another RB and Winger still, and some younger defenders but need to shift more players first, also want a back up for Goulon as I won't be renewing Fayes deal

any news on that awesome RB nicko or is it jonathan from cruzeiro?

trying to sign: -

torstein andersen aase

fredson

horava

old favourite Walter Garcia - still on a free

jose goncalves

kakuta on loan

Kyle Walker on loan

mingazzini

signorino

soder

velikonja

just wondering if I was to get everyone, what would be the best formation, would love to partner the 2 scandinavians together up front

I'm trying to sell

Johnson

Gradel

Fray Bentos

Kilkenny

White

Grella

Somma

Becchio

Bromby

Naylor

so hopefully I will gain enough money to deal with this season

I'm trying to selll

Johnson

Gradel

Fray Bentos

Kilkenny

White

Grella

Somma

Becchio

Bromby

Naylor

Fray Bentos lol is that not a pie in a tin?

In terms of an AML John Fleck looks like an ideal candidate and will join on loan, i just need to wait for him to get back to full fitness then i can get him. Soder is a must get from what i have experienced so far is holding his own in the championship playing upfront as a lone advanced striker.

Geesus - just to say actually, those 2 scandinavian strikers are good prospects but are still only 18-19, so are just back-up for me for now. McCormack is my main man!

I'm in February now and currently 4th, been in the play off spots for most of the season but I'm probably not going to be able to get a top 2 spot this season. Which is fine really as my defence is still rubbish.

I managed to pick up Calum Davenport on a free in January, he's recovered from that long term injury now and has been excellent for me since he came in.

Edit - ah maybe Soder is better than I give him credit for. To be fair he's only started 9 games for me so far, and has 6 goals....which, err, is actually pretty good. In fact, McCormack has 23 starts and only has 9 goals.....blimey, ok Soder, you're starting a few more games son :D

I've sort of ended up playing 4-4-2 at home and 4-5-1 away.

Still not really working as well as I'd like, only 4th in league after 30 odd games now. But I suppose that's decent enough!

Edit - I'm still playing around with the other settings really, still not sure what works best for me. The only thing I have done is changed passing to "more direct" cos I figure we're probably not the best at fancy short passing stuff.

Soder is a definite i managed to get him at 650 and 10% Future profit which i think is a bargain for his current form. Horava is a nice sub and pretty cheap at 280k. On the Aidy White front i managed to get 2.1mill for him from Arsenal, didnt want to sell but hes not gonna be worth that for a few years.

Im playing 4-5-1 at home and away atm and iv got to say its going good, winning at home and getting draws away from home so cant complain. Havent changed muched either from the default tactic, just changed the left winger to an Inside forward and told him to cut inside, McCormmack seems to do ok in this role. And swapped the DM to an Anchor man defend.

so what do you do for 4-4-2? Target man and Advanced Forward for the strikers and I assume you will take the support midfielder out?

I usually go for a poacher (McCormack and Soder both seem well suited to that) and a target man or deep lying forward (Guarch seems good as a deep lying forward). Then I stick the 2 CMs as ball winning midfielder and support, with the 2 wide men on attack.

Soder, Guarch, Aase, and Horava are all shaping up to be really good players for me. I always prefer to sign the promising players cheap in FM - give it a few seasons and these lads will be holding their own in the Premier League I reckon :D

Struggling to find any decent defenders myself mate, Collins aint bad but Bruce has been terrible for me.

I did sign some 32 year old Finnish DC called Rami Hakenpaa in around December on my game, when his contract expired with his previous club - him and Calum Davenport are my starting central defenders at the moment!

well ive signed jonathan from Cruzeiro for 5.75 mil over 48 months for RB - also just signed for 1.2 mil over 48 month mauricio molina who i was linked with at the start who looks awesome - can play anywhere in midfield but predominately on the left mid which will free up mccormack for upfront, just hope I have enough for gaurch when his appeal comes through for a WP so I'll then have 3 strikers to choose from, otherwise ill have to loan a striker or 2

I'm doing just as badly in the full game as i was in the demo even though i bought player which would improve the squad. No combinations of formations or player instructions can get my team a victory. I currently lie 22nd position after 14 games. Any kind of help or ideas are welcome at this stage :D For instance, zonal or man marking? direct or default or short passing? tempo quick normal or slow? any kind of individual instructions i should use?

seriously guys I reckon despite his age Molina is worth every penny of the 1.2 mil and 17k wages plus 9k appearance fee, He could be the difference for me this season

Yes, I've got him shortlisted at the moment, waiting on Nicko. Looks pretty good though.

Guarch has overpriced himself IMO, but Edgar Ivan Pacheco is still fairly cheap as AMC.

Calling Nicko are you ready yet!!!

i got guarch for 1 million - may be worth it, ill have to see, Ive got enough players but im 20k overspent on wages lol - however in january ill look to offload the likes of bruce, collins, crowe, sam, paynter, possibly mcCormack and Clayton, and see what I end up with afterwards

I know that its only friendlies but Molina has scored 4 in 3 so far albeit Crawley 1 in a 3-0 win, Wycombe 2 in a 2-0 win including a reet free kick and Guisley 1 in a 2-0 win (I know this is a low score but Guisley never had a shot and I had 20 odd shots although about 10 of them were from distance

i got guarch for 1 million - may be worth it, ill have to see, Ive got enough players but im 20k overspent on wages lol - however in january ill look to offload the likes of bruce, collins, crowe, sam, paynter, possibly mcCormack and Clayton, and see what I end up with afterwards

I know that its only friendlies but Molina has scored 4 in 3 so far albeit Crawley 1 in a 3-0 win, Wycombe 2 in a 2-0 win including a reet free kick and Guisley 1 in a 2-0 win (I know this is a low score but Guisley never had a shot and I had 20 odd shots although about 10 of them were from distance

I think there could be better than Guarch for the price. Good return for Molina though

Archived