[FM11] FC United of Manchester Thread - The Red Rebels!

TacticalGenius

Guys, I'm BAAAAAAAAAACKKKK!!!!!!!

I abandoned my first FCUM save due to a corrupted downloaded database. I restarted with L9 Bedlington Terriers until I got a fatal crash dump by which I could not progress beyond Aug 31 2011 (after 7 days' gametime). Third time lucky (?), I'm going with the Uncle Ron db and back with FCUM. The highlight of my last FCUM save was drawing Man Utd at Old Trafford in the FA Cup third round - can't see that ever happening again.

I'm way behind you guys, and what with work commitments and my habit of micro-managing, I'll make very slow progress, but I'll report in. By the way, I used the editor to create Ten Acre Lane stadium, cap. 5,000 (and a few more - got the exact figure off wikipedia), due to move in Aug 2012. Should save a bit on the rent.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just managed to get back into my FCUM save. In my 3rd season now I think and currently 8 games into the Blue Square Prem. Won 5 drawn 3 so far, so all is going well for now! Even though i'm predicted to finish 24th I think I have the team to fight for play-offs, so that's what i'm aiming for.

Nice to see some of you taking FC United all the way to the top!

I used the editor to put about 20 15 and 16 year olds into my squad, giving them 0 CA and -7 or -8 PA. I'd got quite attached to them in my Bedlington Terriers save (what with the player pics I'd made 'n' all), so when it crashed I imported them into my new FC United campaign. But 2 levels higher up they're finding it quite a struggle. At least I've got fans now; with the Terriers we got 100 supporters, filling 2-3% of the stadium. now I get 2000, and at away games they often outnumber the home fans - and they make noise! I'm into October 2010 and chasing Northwich and Halifax. If the kids can keep going (and that's a big ask) I hope to be good for a play-off place.

Season 5 - League One

Whilst the league started and finished abysmally, the middle part of the season was absolutely golden, propelling us to another consecutive league title and promotion to the Championship! The new signings from last year's spending spree took a little while to bed in but proved well worth the outlay in the end, with three of my regens now being pursued by half of Europe :(. The 4-4-2 I've been using for five seasons now is finally starting to look a little shaky and it seems as if the defence needs a bit of investment. However, odds are I'll spend all of my budget on a striker as per usual.

Other Competitions:

Nothing of note... again. Had a great win over Premier League Sunderland in the League Cup (causing Drogba to be sacked in the process), before crashing out to Watford. Couldn't care less about JPT and succumbed pitifully to Leeds in the FA Cup 3rd round.

Pre-Season

The board cancelled my Youth Academy again :( - should have seen it coming really but I am so fed up of getting 20 half star regens. Managed to snap up Ravel Morrison from Utd on a freebie and with his determination up to a beastly 19 I'm hopeful I can get him to progress nicely with first team football. My record goalscorer Lewis Field also finally retired into a nice coaching role with us, with his 123 goals in 180 a great outlay for someone who was a free transfer way back in season one!

Season 6 - Championship

New League, same story - predicted 24th as always but we raced to the top of the table within the first six games having switched almost seamlessly to a 4-2-3-1 in pre-season. New signings Ravel Morrison and two loanee CBs had slotted in brilliantly, business as usual. However, we started to struggle around Xmas, partly due to my fixture overload thanks to the bad level 11 installation, partly because the squad doesn't have much quality in back-ups. Whilst Wigan raced away with the league, we dropped into a fight for second place with Burnley which effectively ended with a 3-1 defeat at Turf Moor. Happily, we picked ourselves up for the playoffs, beating Bolton 2-1 at theirs with 10 men, and securing a final spot with a 1-1 draw AET at Gigg Lane. In the final, Toni Silva pulled his best Clive Mendonca impression, single-handedly taking us to the promised land.

fcunitedvpeterboroughin.th.png

npowerchampionshipinforx.th.png

Other Competitions:

We had a stunning League Cup run, making it to the semi-finals with wins over Barnsley, Fulham, Wolves, Chelsea and Arsenal before losing 4-0 at home to West Ham despite beating them 2-1 away. A great money-boosting run although it definitely hindered our league form somewhat. In the FA Cup, we beat Sheff Weds 4-1 but then Wolves gained their revenge, knocking us out in the Fourth Round 1-0.

Pre-Season

Had my ups and downs with the board this year, with them selling one of my best players for 5m without my consent in January when we could have really used him. Happily I've found another little South American regen to replace him for half the price so I'm not too cut up. Then, after the playoffs, best news yet!

stadiumj.th.png

:D

Only problem is, that leaves me with a transfer budget of 7m for 'avoid relegation' and a wage budget of 68k, which i'm basically already at with little chance of trimming... not cool

Prediction for the season: 20th (of course)

Edit: After a little chat with the board, I now have £25k wages to play with! Woop woop!

• 2 weeks later...

Well i got FC United to the Championship, but after a year where i avoided to get them relegated i got sacked, a month before the end of season i rejected a contract because it only would last for one season. I wanted a 3 year deal.

I never could get a new contract because the board interaction thingy was greyd out. Is that really possible...???

I'm disappointed, ive used alot of time on that save game and in the end i got sacked because i didn't have the option to renew my contract.

I've completed my first season (slow, I know). We were nip 'n' tuck with FC Halifax. I got off to a great start, but we couldn't do winter. My two terrific DCs got injured and we fell apart, compounded by my 2 main strikers going all Torres. Come February we rediscovered our mojo and in the final month Halifax lost theirs, leaving us a free run to claim the top spot (with Halifax justifiably gaining the play-off spot).

Now we're in the BSN, tipped by the media to finish 17th; by me to claim a mid-table finish. Deep down I think we can win this one too, but my squad of teenagers, now a year older, will be more fully taxed this time out.

I got nowhere in the diddy cups, but in the FA Cup I went out in Round 2 away to Brighton, which funded my monthly shortfalls to leave us in credit at the end of the year.

I'm up to December 2011 now, after a slow start, now comfortable at the top of BSN. For the second season I've been knocked out of the FA Cup by a League One side, this time Rotherham in the First Round. Last year it was Brighton who were riding high, this time Rotherham who are struggling in L1 yet still comfortably controlled the game. Despite a year's progress, this seems to be a glass ceiling for me. Never mind, the kids are still growing and hopefully in three years we'll be on an equal footing.

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd chime in again with where i'm up to. Not really sure who's still playing their saves, could do with reading the last page of this thread!

2016/2017 season and i'm in the Championship. Brought in 11 new faces to help, some first teamers, some for a bit of depth. Fair few being regens so obviously would be unfamiliar, but some you may know; Paul Pogba - Got on a free and I am hoping for him to be my first choice MC, Gaby Mudingayi - Signed for £2k, he is 34 but going by stats still has a lot to offer, Jonathan Grounds from Middlesbrough on a free, slotted into the LB slot nicely.

Anyway, 12 games in and i'm 2nd just lost my first game 3-2 to Wigan after being 2-0 up, nightmare! And into the 4th round of the League Cup after beating West Ham 4-3 in the last round, scoring the winner in the 86th minute. Got Sunderland in that game who are also in the Championship.

Not much else to report back otherwise. Got Everton as a parent club, they only want to send me useless looking players though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've created an 11.3 savegame, with:

England: Down to BSN/BSP

France: Ligue 1

Germany: Bundesliga

Spain: La Liga

Holland: Eredvisie

Italy: Serie A

All Level 7 players loaded, Top players from all continents, All other European leagues on View-Only, as well as Argentina and Brazil.

Savegame: http://www.gamefront.com/files/2060884/FC+United+SaveGame

I'll be starting with this savegame today!

I've just started a new game with FC United! I'm trying not to use the player search, just using scouts and assistant reccomendations, and any players that I already have knowledge of or notice. I'm hopeful of a good season, and think Norton looks like a cracking player up front.

Just need to work out the best formation, tactics etc now!

Been rather productive with signings, we have an ex-Tottenham CB, an ex-Charlton RB, ex-Villa LB, an ex-Fulham AMR and some other good signings, but the one player I expected things from - Norton - couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo :(

Jerome Wright as an AML Inside Forward (Support) is working wonders though - 7 games, 6 goals, 3 assists, 4 MoM :)

Looks like they've fixed the loophole I abused in 11.1 regarding players becoming coaches and going over the coaches limit; they've rejected Chadwick's proposed player/coach contract as we already have two coaches, despite him potentially being a 3* to 4* defence coach. Time to beg the board for more coaches...

Well hello! After a long absence I'm back too with a new 11.3 campaign. I will confess to using the editor to create Ten Acres, having replicated the details off wikipedia; due to move in June 2012. I'm a very slow FM player so probably won't have much reportage to contribute. Suffice to say I'm getting a lot of draws at the start of the campaign but after Christmas when the squad has gelled I'm hopeful of making a surge (threadbare first team squad of 17 permitting). My stand-out player is Scott McManus - I've pushed him up to play as a defensive left-winger and he's getting the majority of the assists.

Signed Spanish u21 international Ignasi Miquel on a free 6 months after his release from Arsenal, and he will go straight into the starting 11. He rejected much bigger clubs to come here, such as Rotherham, in L1...

EDIT: Lost Carlos Roca as his contract expired, leaving me with one AMR, the ex-Fulham kid. So what happens next match? He breaks his f*cking ankle. Luckily I had an AMR and a MR on scouting file, who haven't already been signed, so they get a 17 month contract each, as neither would take a 'end of season' contract.

End of 2011-12:

League table:

bsntable1112.png

Won the league with two games to spare. Also conceded the least goals :)

Cups:

FA Cup: Third Round, beaten 3-0 by Brighton.

FA Trophy: Second Round, beaten 2-1 by Droylesden.

Players:

Ex-Burnley CM Joe McKee is top scorer with 12 in 39 games, followed by Jerome Wright with 12 in 43 games.

Jerome Wright was top of the League assists chart with 19 (22 in all comps) and also earned the most league MoM awards with 9 (11 all comps).

Jerome Wright had the highest Av.Rating in the League with 7.39, followed by DC Matt Pike with 7.31 and Joe McKee with 7.29

Well played Tactical Genius, living up to your name there!

Set up my own house rule to try and only sign players from Greater Manchester or commutable distance from place of birth. Not sure i would be comfortable creating a team of southerners ;)

I usually only sign northerners in years one and two, but I want to get the first couple of seasons out of the way comfortably without going any further than being a little more liberal with scouting, so I'm only limiting it to England this time round.

The first three months of the 2012-13 BSP season:

augoct12fcum.png

Fantastic results in terms of scoring, but conceding too many for my liking. I'm experimenting tactically, and going forward, the results are obvious. But the presense of two front men means I'm not using an anchorman, and I believe that is the problem. I've made the starting shape a 4-4-2 now, which ends up more a 4-2-3-1 in possession. Hopefully we can aim for a few more clean sheets now.

Star Players so far:

Hallam Hope:

http://i1234.photobu...e/hope18aug.png

Jacopo Sala:

http://i1234.photobu...e/sala20aug.png

Adam Boyd:

http://i1234.photobu...e/boyd30aug.png

End of 2012-13 season review:

Final League table:

bsntable.png

As you can see, we won the league comfortably, only losing on the final day against Barnet. I was named manager of the year, but somehow neither Ignasi Miquel nor Hallam Hope won Player of the Season, despite being a class above all season, which has led to teams like Leicester, Leeds and Newcastle enquiring after Hope, and Barcelona At, Sevilla At and several Championship and Scottish Premier teams looking at Miquel and making enquiries...

We won the FA Carlsberg Trophy, beating Cambridge 2-1 in the final :)

Next season is when the real work begins, where we should turn Professional, and be playing teams much better than we have faced so far. And it'll be even harder if we don't manage to hold onto Hope and/or Miquel...

August 2013:

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/aug2013.png

Not a fantastic month, going out of the Carling Cup in the first round on our debut was disappointing, and the morale dip followed us into the next game =/

September 2013:

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/sept2013.png

Better - towards the end, anyway. Another competition debut, only to go out in the first round again. The Walsall game was epic. Two goals down, two men down. Came back to win 3-2 :D

October 2013:

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/oct2013.png

A massive improvement, we're moving in the right direction in the league, and we're currently top by a point, too :)

Next month is about continuing the October trend, though it will be difficult!

Transfers so far:

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/transum13.png

Ex-United academy kid Fornasier will partner Miquel in defence, while the others are squad players, replacing the ones who left at the end of the season.

November 2013:

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/nov13.png

A solid month in the league, but Dag&Red were too much for us in the FA Cup :(

December 2013:

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff417/TG_Jamie/dec13.png

Another good month that, although we faltered in the final games, given the fixture congestion and tiredness (despite me resting the whole team from training where possible) I'm still very pleased.

We lead Notts County by a point at the top of the league. January's target is to open up that gap...

I'm up and running, trundling away in my first season. Up to December 2010 and have slipped into top spot. Suffered a very embarrassing 0-3 reversal to a Level 10 side in the FA Cup 3rd qualifiers, but to be honest my thread-bare squad wasn't coping with 2 games a week. Still in the FA Trophy (after narrowly overcoming BSN strugglers Workington and Boston) and Pritt-stick thingy, tho'.

Story of the season so far is Stocksbridge getting hammered 0-9 by Matlock and topping the table the week after! They're still my nearest rivals. I have a lot of talented but very inconsistent youngsters, but if I can man-manage them well and avoid bad luck with injuries, I should sail through this league.

Archived