Youth Development

Can anyone point me to a thread that will give me all I need to know about developing youth players. I have a promising u18 team ( Brighton L1 ) in first season and have 3 players that are not on contracts and need to know things like when/why should I sign them, who should go out on loan, should I scout other under 18's and sign them, how the yearly intake works etc etc

when/why should I sign them

When : As soon as you see a promising youngster in your team

Why : To prevent other teams from stealing him.

who should go out on loan

Someone who is just a little away from your first team/just needs some experience.

Should I scout other under 18's and sign them

Ofcourse. Why not?

Provided they are/will be good enough

how the yearly intake works etc etc

Every year, every team in the world(on different dates depending on the leagues), will get new youth players, whose talent depends on the Youth Facilities rating, Youth academy & squad reputation.

Every year, every team in the world(on different dates depending on the leagues), will get new youth players, whose talent depends on the Youth Facilities rating, Youth academy & squad reputation.

.... and luck too, if I am not mistaken. Which means that good players can be found in smaller clubs once in a while :)

There are no reports as they aren't under contract so I guess I will just need to decide whether they are likely to improve their poor stats

But it should still be there.:confused:

Try changing the youth team view to "Assistant Manager Report". :thup:

The standard of youth players is normally rubbish. I play as Liverpool with top of the range youth set-up and facilities and have to sign most of my youth team as the regens that join every season are just not good enough

Not really mate.

I and many others have played lots of save taking BSS/BSN clubs to CL with only youth player that come from the academy.

BTW, I have a couple more questions for experienced players about youngsters; I've been playing since FM2009 so I'm an average player;

a) After three-four years I always end up having in the U18 team something like 30 to 40 players, since youth contracts use to last 5-6 years. Which is the best way to get rid of the half-star youngsters that I do not want? I suppose the more youngsters the less efficient the prep team is in forming each of them since they have to disperse their work, sadly including the ones that I want to promote, so they somewhat lose the focus I'd like for them.

Since I use to pick lower level teams I don't want to spend money in paying them to get out, I've found that the best way is to sign them for the shorter span available (usually a year) and just wait until it expires. Or I offer them at 0 cost but in many cases I can't even get rid of them since anybody wants. Which is the best way you've found to solve the crowded U18 affair?

b) I have a 1 star / 3,5 potential 14 yo midfielder, and a 0,5 star 1 potential 16 yo defender. But the 16 yo even if less skilled plays better matches, specially since he has something like 16 talent and has a good game vision IMO. I've even signed him to play as a reserve for the main team because he uses to play acceptable matches in my category. I do not doubt that the 14 yo is too young and he'll get better, but he has very few talent compared to the other one, something like 4 or 5. My question is, does "talent" represent the potential a youngster can develop, or it's another trait like determination, etc... that affects the stats but not specifically the future development of other skills? And, if I train my 0,5/1 16 yo midfielder to death can I make him reach 2 stars or more someday?

My question is, does "talent" represent the potential a youngster can develop, or it's another trait like determination, etc... that affects the stats but not specifically the future development of other skills? And, if I train my 0,5/1 16 yo midfielder to death can I make him reach 2 stars or more someday?

There is no 'talent' attribute. Your 16 year old has a fixed potential ability, which he will not be able to improve on.

There is no 'talent' attribute. Your 16 year old has a fixed potential ability, which he will not be able to improve on.

OK, excuse me, I play the game in another language that is not English, so things may vary in name, when I meant "talent" I meant the "flair" mental attribute. But anyway I understand what you mean.

OK, excuse me, I play the game in another language that is not English, so things may vary in name, when I meant "talent" I meant the "flair" mental attribute. But anyway I understand what you mean.

Flair means the chances of doing something unexpected/ flashy.

Ronaldinho flicks.

OK thanks, then I guess it's possible for a let's say 4 star player to have a low flair attribute.

Yes definitely. The stars are all you need to worry about when it comes to potential. Reaching that potential is a different story, hidden attributes and determination are needed.

and flair is irrelevant, for example flair 4 for an anchor man or CB is a good thing.

best definition i've heard is that creativity is the ability to create chances for others, fair is the ability to create chances for yourself.

Nice, many thanks!

What about the crowded U18, any thoughts on that?

a) After three-four years I always end up having in the U18 team something like 30 to 40 players, since youth contracts use to last 5-6 years. Which is the best way to get rid of the half-star youngsters that I do not want? I suppose the more youngsters the less efficient the prep team is in forming each of them since they have to disperse their work, sadly including the ones that I want to promote, so they somewhat lose the focus I'd like for them.

Since I use to pick lower level teams I don't want to spend money in paying them to get out, I've found that the best way is to sign them for the shorter span available (usually a year) and just wait until it expires. Or I offer them at 0 cost but in many cases I can't even get rid of them since anybody wants. Which is the best way you've found to solve the crowded U18 affair?

Players that come straight into your youth team have a contract until they are 17. If you do not offer them pro terms, they usually leave when that expires. If you want to get rid of them sooner, all you can do is release them, it doesn't really cost much. You are correct that if you have an overcrowded youth team, the better prospects will suffer.

Of course this is all based on managing in England, it may be different in other countries.

sure, but they're limiting and repetitive, i like to have more control over this,

for example i like my wingers to go dribble down the wing fast and cross to my target man, so "run with ball down left/right" and "run with ball more often" helps and flair is very important for this

i'm putting boys with flair 17 and higher on 'dribble goalkeepers' but how effective they are at this probably also depends on a host of other attributes, e.g. balance, technique.

"first time shots" i find are rarely done by players and i'd like to encourage them to do this; what attibutes influence this, composure perhaps?

sure, but they're limiting and repetitive, i like to have more control over this,

for example i like my wingers to go dribble down the wing fast and cross to my target man, so "run with ball down left/right" and "run with ball more often" helps and flair is very important for this Requires dribbling pace acceleration....

i'm putting boys with flair 17 and higher on 'dribble goalkeepers' but how effective they are at this probably also depends on a host of other attributes, e.g. balance, technique.

"first time shots" i find are rarely done by players and i'd like to encourage them to do this; what attibutes influence this, composure perhaps?

You know it quite well.

Dribble goalies - It also requires dribbling

First time shots - don't really use it. gives away possesion easily. Think it will be good with long shots, finishing or something.

Flair work better with tries killer ball often.

Make sure you untick the option on "manager options" that empowers the assitant manager to offer under 18s contracts, that way, when they do expire, you get the choice whether to offer them a contract or not

I guess this comment is for me; yes, I'm aware of this option already, the bad thing I found out is that it seems in the country I play (Brazil), all the newgens that usually appear when they are 14-15 yo, come by default with a 5 year contract, and this really sucks since I don't even have the chance to think and renew or not any contract. I'll be waiting for FM2011 to see if this has changed and if it doesn't, calculate what's the most economical; eitherrelease them or offering them a single year contract with default increased salary.

I guess this comment is for me; yes, I'm aware of this option already, the bad thing I found out is that it seems in the country I play (Brazil), all the newgens that usually appear when they are 14-15 yo, come by default with a 5 year contract, and this really sucks since I don't even have the chance to think and renew or not any contract. I'll be waiting for FM2011 to see if this has changed and if it doesn't, calculate what's the most economical; eitherrelease them or offering them a single year contract with default increased salary.

Snap! I've ended up at Flamengo on my current save and it's infuriating - they also always seem to end up with low minimum fee release clauses which doesn't help the situation

Snap! I've ended up at Flamengo on my current save and it's infuriating - they also always seem to end up with low minimum fee release clauses which doesn't help the situation

Yep, you got it. Although you may have better luck in getting good revenues from selling those players since you play in the first division and can even compensate the release clauses fees, but in my case I like to play with third or second division teams and it's a bit more difficult. :p

Archived