Training Youngsters & Coaches

Hi all, I am not sure which topic to post this in. So apologies if this isn't the right one!!

I am a bit of a novice at this game in comparison to most here, so this may seem a silly question!

I started my career at Chelsea, and in my first season won the PL, FA Cup, League Cup and the European Cup. I then left them in October to take over Swansea City in the Championship as they were in the relegation zone. I have had great success so far, in that I am up to 8th in the League now, though I am going through a difficult patch now, with 7 losses in 10 games!

My aim is to take Swansea into the PL with good young players, so I have sold a lot of my squad in the January transfer market, and bought in a lot of young talented players for cheap who should be good in the future. The thing is the best players I have a CA of around 110, whilst these new young players have potential ability of around 160/70, but are currently only around the 70-90 mark so have a LOT of improving to do. My coaches weren't great, and in 3/4 months I have yet to notice these new players with high PA's to improve - so I've got rid of my backroom staff, and bought in coaches with high PA's, but again, they are only in their 30's, and their current stat is around 90-100.

My question is will these improve over time? Is there anything I should be doing to help the coaches improve their stats?

If you have any tips in how I can further improve my young players please don't hesitate to let me know. As I said earlier, I am relatively inexperienced in this game, so I am probably missing quite a few tricks!!

Many thanks in advance

Do they have to be good older players? Just I don't have many of those!

Also, silly question, but how on earth do I do that? The only time I have ever used players to tutor a youngster is when my assistant has recommended I do so!

PS: Has anyone noticed a difference in results between watching the actual matches, and just having it on commentary? I prefer watching them, but whenever I do, I tend to either draw, or lose, despite being the better team. Then when I go through the games in commentary, I usually run out comfortable winners. I think this is primarily because one of my youngsters (Makengo) never scores when I am watching, but in commentary he seems to tuck them all away, and some spectacular goals too! Yet when I watch the matches he does very little!!

Don't worry too much about the training facilities, if they're getting regular games, you should be able to get more out of them. When I do a salvage mission with a lower league team, I always look out for big name players that are ending their contracts, if you're where I think you are, Andrea Barzagli should be available on a free soon, same as Dario Srna (6 months later). Constantly check 'expiring' contracts and you'll be able to steer them on the right course. If your young players already have a high determination attribute then don't bother unless the tutor has more in this area, it's defines the speed of CA increase. Tutors can also pass on preferred moves(check positions of a player to see moves), but make sure they are similar players in similar positions.

PS: Has anyone noticed a difference in results between watching the actual matches, and just having it on commentary? I prefer watching them, but whenever I do, I tend to either draw, or lose, despite being the better team. Then when I go through the games in commentary, I usually run out comfortable winners. I think this is primarily because one of my youngsters (Makengo) never scores when I am watching, but in commentary he seems to tuck them all away, and some spectacular goals too! Yet when I watch the matches he does very little!!

I'm sure its just a coincidence, since I think the match engine is the same whatever method you choose, it's just the graphical representation of it that changes.

I always look out for big name players that are ending their contracts, if you're where I think you are, Andrea Barzagli should be available on a free soon, same as Dario Srna (6 months later). Constantly check 'expiring' contracts and you'll be able to steer them on the right course.

How on earth do you get Barzagli and Srna to go to Swansea in the championship???!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh yeah, I had just been promoted with Q.P.R. and at the end of my first season. One of my best signings was Mchedlidze for free at the end of the first season. He's a good tutor and a goal machine. I only recommend that you try and sell him when the interest is still there though. He's been bench warming and on loan since my youth players took over, still gets more than 1 goal in 2 games, and has a phenomenal international record, but no-one ever wants to buy him!! Unfortunately, you need to get promoted asap!!

Archived