*OFFICIAL* FMS 2006 Challenge #1 - The Challenge of the Ages by Bobbev

Peacemaker7

The Challenge Of The Ages

"You win nothing with kids" - Alan Hansen

"If they're good enough, they're old enough" – Bill Shankley

Two alternative viewpoints regarding the merits of youth versus experience. But what would your choice be? Would you favour a team of fearless youngsters with their boundless energy and enthusiasm? Or would you go for the experience and the cool head that comes with maturity? Whichever route you prefer your objective remains the same - take charge at any club in any country, as long as they are in the lowest playable league within that country. And then, using either youth or experience, guide your team to the pinnacle of domestic success by securing the title in the top-flight league of your chosen country. If you can win some other silverware along the way then more power to your elbow, but the priority is that Premiership/First Division crown.

However, for each of the two paths some restrictions apply.

Path 1 - The Path Of Youth

If you follow this path then none of the players in your first team squad may be over the age of 24. Any over-age players must be moved to the reserves and made available for transfer. Once a younger player reaches the cut-off age of 25 then he too must be moved and listed. You may sign up to three players each season for a fee but you are allowed an unlimited number of free signings and loans. Any players signed must be 24 or under. Graduates from your Youth Academy do not need to be moved to the first team straight away but can be kept in the reserves for as long as you see fit.

Path 2 - The Path Of Experience

If you follow this path then none of the players in your first team squad may be under the age of 30. Any under-age players must be moved to the reserves. All players under the age of 25 must be transfer listed - those 25 and over can be kept on but cannot be put in the first team until they reach the age of 30. You may sign up to four players each season for a fee but you are allowed an unlimited number of free signings and loans. Any players signed must be 30 or older. Graduates from your Youth Academy must be released immediately.

Note

If you take The Path Of Experience then don’t start in Scotland as there is s restriction in the SPL that your match squad must have at least two players under the age of 21.

The Challenge Of The Ages

"You win nothing with kids" - Alan Hansen

"If they're good enough, they're old enough" – Bill Shankley

Two alternative viewpoints regarding the merits of youth versus experience. But what would your choice be? Would you favour a team of fearless youngsters with their boundless energy and enthusiasm? Or would you go for the experience and the cool head that comes with maturity? Whichever route you prefer your objective remains the same - take charge at any club in any country, as long as they are in the lowest playable league within that country. And then, using either youth or experience, guide your team to the pinnacle of domestic success by securing the title in the top-flight league of your chosen country. If you can win some other silverware along the way then more power to your elbow, but the priority is that Premiership/First Division crown.

However, for each of the two paths some restrictions apply.

Path 1 - The Path Of Youth

If you follow this path then none of the players in your first team squad may be over the age of 24. Any over-age players must be moved to the reserves and made available for transfer. Once a younger player reaches the cut-off age of 25 then he too must be moved and listed. You may sign up to three players each season for a fee but you are allowed an unlimited number of free signings and loans. Any players signed must be 24 or under. Graduates from your Youth Academy do not need to be moved to the first team straight away but can be kept in the reserves for as long as you see fit.

Path 2 - The Path Of Experience

If you follow this path then none of the players in your first team squad may be under the age of 30. Any under-age players must be moved to the reserves. All players under the age of 25 must be transfer listed - those 25 and over can be kept on but cannot be put in the first team until they reach the age of 30. You may sign up to four players each season for a fee but you are allowed an unlimited number of free signings and loans. Any players signed must be 30 or older. Graduates from your Youth Academy must be released immediately.

Note

If you take The Path Of Experience then don’t start in Scotland as there is s restriction in the SPL that your match squad must have at least two players under the age of 21.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by attjen:

btw, why "Ashes"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm I might have made a wee mistake there icon_razz.gif

Thanks for the sticky Terk icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:

Originally posted by attjen:

btw, why "Ashes"?

Erm I might have made a wee mistake there </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn,and I was hoping to start another Aussie game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by attjen:

btw, why "Ashes"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm I might have made a wee mistake there icon_razz.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fixded icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the votes everybody. I'm pleased that this was selected as I think it could offer some interesting possibilities. Mods, would you like me to maintain the Challenge Log here or open a new thread for it? I guess here as this thread has official status.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Peacemaker7:

Yeah keeping the logs in the official threads makes archiving them easier and future generations have everything together for their viewing icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK - on that basis would anyone who starts a story based on this Challenge please post a link in this thread.

Glad this challenge won - I was meaning to get on and vote for it, but never got around to it in the end.

Since it goes straight to the core of what I most enjoy (the youth route obviouosly) I might well give it a go if I can find time to write a story alongside playing.

Are we allowed to use a team not in the league in real life? I have just started a game, putting Wick Academy into Scottish Div 3 (no other editing apart from strip colour and design :p) I might not make that my challenge story anyway, but just thought I'd ask.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

Glad this challenge won - I was meaning to get on and vote for it, but never got around to it in the end.

Since it goes straight to the core of what I most enjoy (the youth route obviouosly) I might well give it a go if I can find time to write a story alongside playing.

Are we allowed to use a team not in the league in real life? I have just started a game, putting Wick Academy into Scottish Div 3 (no other editing apart from strip colour and design :p) I might not make that my challenge story anyway, but just thought I'd ask. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glam - as far as I am concerned I have no issue with editing a team into the game as long as it comes in at the lowest league level and you don't mess with the reputation to make it artifically easy to get new players.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BobBev:

Glam - as far as I am concerned I have no issue with editing a team into the game as long as it comes in at the lowest league level and you don't mess with the reputation to make it artifically easy to get new players. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not much danger of that - their reputation makes East Stirling look like Real Madrid in comparison icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Macca_SAFC:

A question regarding the youth path - is it necessary to transfer list a player/coach if you don't have him in any match squads? I'm starting the challenge with Farnborough so will be very tough! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would say that it is fine to keep a player/coach on the coaching staff. You could try to offer him a new coaching-only contract or just keep him on his current contract and put him in the reserves. I'd be quite happy for people to treat their first season as transitional as they move towards a first team squad that meets the criteria of their chosen path. The only slight problem being that I'd like to see any promotion obtained using a valid squad. But I don't want to be anal about it and put folks off and if it is really difficult to follow the letter of the law then follow the spirit of the law. As long as you end up with an interesting story then it really doesn't matter too much.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by -Xenon-:

Would have loved to do this challenge with Young Boys in Switzerland, sadly top flight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Especially good if you followed the Path of Experience!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Knattspyrnufélag Siglufjarðar </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bit of a mouthful!

I've decided to abandon my search for an appropriately named team, although i was tempted to add "Quick Boys" into the lowest Dutch league.

Opted instead for Fiães in Portugal's Second Division B, story to follow along with updates for my other two.

Great challenege by the way Bob icon14.gif

Just to float an idea...

Is anyone interested in "pairing up" for the challenge by taking the same club, but one person taking each route, just to see how the two go from the same starting point? It'd have to be someone willing to take the "Grandads and has beens" route though because I would only ever do the challenge with the kids icon_smile.gif

Not sure which team or country - I tend to be fussy who I manage, but if anyone is interested I am open to negotiation. (My Wick game also has me managing Hibernian as part of a different offline challenge with a friend so isn't really suitable for this challenge after all)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glamdring:

Just to float an idea...

Is anyone interested in "pairing up" for the challenge by taking the same club, but one person taking each route, just to see how the two go from the same starting point? It'd have to be someone willing to take the "Grandads and has beens" route though because I would only ever do the challenge with the kids icon_smile.gif

Not sure which team or country - I tend to be fussy who I manage, but if anyone is interested I am open to negotiation. (My Wick game also has me managing Hibernian as part of a different offline challenge with a friend so isn't really suitable for this challenge after all) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be up for that Glam - I am still toying with exactly how I want to do this one anyway and I am in the early stages of each path in two different saves but I'm not set on either one yet. I'm pretty easy about which club so I'd go with your choice.

OK, time for the first official log entry I believe.

Attjen was the first to pick up the gauntlet taking the Path of Youth at Boldklubben Skjold of Copenhagen - read all about it here.

Terk quickly followed and is in Madrid with Rayo Vallecano - follow his progess in Wallace's Weans.

Fresh from his triumph at the annual awards Spav was next to show as he tests out my magic potion with KVK Kortrijk in Belgium - you can drink in all the details here.

Faramir has not just been polishing his awards - he has also kicked off his attempt by returning to Harrow.

-Xenon- has gone a bit crazy in Portugal at Fiães - follow his albino adventures here.

Well my Icelandic game crashed and though it's tempting to restart, I feel there are some serious impracticalities with the challenge, considering there was not one free transfer under 24 who would even contemplate joining us. Will instead post a story with an English Football League club that is yet to be decided.

I'm playing this challenge with the youths, at nuneaton borough. I'm not gong to enter a story, but I have something I'd like to share.

I'm still in the conference north after two seasons. I'm not actually that good. Just starting my third season, and this popped up...

Click!

WTF??

Did a search for unemployed scottish managers and the only one i recognised was craig brown. Surely the SFA could have prised a scottish manager out a contract!

My ststa are pretty crap

Click!

Game keeps surprising me!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BobBev:

Just to float an idea...

Not sure which team or country - I tend to be fussy who I manage, but if anyone is interested I am open to negotiation. (My Wick game also has me managing Hibernian as part of a different offline challenge with a friend so isn't really suitable for this challenge after all) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be up for that Glam - I am still toying with exactly how I want to do this one anyway and I am in the early stages of each path in two different saves but I'm not set on either one yet. I'm pretty easy about which club so I'd go with your choice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if you are up for it - I wouldn't mind trying Lofoten in Norway (I think they are still in bottom division in FM 06 - I haven't checked).

When I managed them in CM 03/04 they had quite a decent mix of young and old, but I'm not sure about now. Obviously it'd be better to start with a club who have a good mix

Just to float an idea...

I'd be up for that Glam - I am still toying with exactly how I want to do this one anyway and I am in the early stages of each path in two different saves but I'm not set on either one yet. I'm pretty easy about which club so I'd go with your choice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if you are up for it - I wouldn't mind trying Lofoten in Norway (I think they are still in bottom division in FM 06 - I haven't checked).

When I managed them in CM 03/04 they had quite a decent mix of young and old, but I'm not sure about now. Obviously it'd be better to start with a club who have a good mix </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds OK to me - I'll email you and we can discuss the details.

Just a point of clarificationn that ocurred to me - the challenge as set suggests that you must stick with one team but that is not essential. I see no reason why you couldn't change jobs if you wanted to, but within the following restrictions.

1. You must achieve at least one promotion with your original team.

2. You can only accept a job that is offered (so you can't apply, you have to wait for an offer).

3. You must immediately implement the squad restrictions for your chosen path.

This should allow you to take up a position at a bigger club once you have established something of a reputation but the need to meet the squad restrictions immediately could create some interesting scenarios.

I will be doing this in attempt to piggy back to another award on the back of one of Bobs challenges. At the moment though have gotten caught up with Civ 4 but as soon as the Scots have conquered the world FM comes back icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking of your Lisbon Lions story and if I remember correctly you took on Rangers but only used young players - are we going to see something similar for this one?

Sent you an e-mail Bobbev.

I seem to remember PM7's Lisbon Lions kids challenge being with Forfar, but he may have done more than one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Adam - replied. You may well be right about Forfar - my memory is not what it once was icon_wink.gif

I will be doing this in attempt to piggy back to another award on the back of one of Bobs challenges. At the moment though have gotten caught up with Civ 4 but as soon as the Scots have conquered the world FM comes back icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking of your Lisbon Lions story and if I remember correctly you took on Rangers but only used young players - are we going to see something similar for this one? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're both right, you and Glamdring. I originally started that challenge with Rangers, then re-did with Forfar which was the story that went on to win awards. I'm thinking of something similiar, but different icon_wink.gif

Archived