*Official* - the BIG Chelsea thread. Post all sorts of transfer crap in here, but no mentions of 'Chelski'

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

they've changed massively. I'll do my best from memory

Lazio: Peruzzi, Mihaijlovic (Couto), Stam, Favalli (Corradi), Oddo, Cesar, Liverani (Giannichedda), Castroman (Gottardi), Fiore, Lopez, Inzaghi (Rivaldo)

Chelsea: Cudicini, Johnson (Kitimarike), Melchiot, Huth, Babayaro (Keenan), Stanic (Cole) Lampard, Zenden, Grønkjær, Hasselbaink (Kneissl), Gudjohnsen (Forssell)

Not a bad result from what will no doubt amount to a Chelsea reserve side once the transfer window closes at the end of next month. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Junichi Inamoto:

they've changed massively. I'll do my best from memory

Lazio: Peruzzi, Mihaijlovic (Couto), Stam, Favalli (Corradi), Oddo, Cesar, Liverani (Giannichedda), Castroman (Gottardi), Fiore, Lopez, Inzaghi (Rivaldo)

Chelsea: Cudicini, Johnson (Kitimarike), Melchiot, Huth, Babayaro (Keenan), Stanic (Cole) Lampard, Zenden, Grønkjær, Hasselbaink (Kneissl), Gudjohnsen (Forssell)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, good enough for me. icon_smile.gif

didnt realise the match was on euro... didnt look like i missed much either.

Mornings papers say Vieri deal back on 4 a cut price of £20m and Emmerson from Roma will sign.

PERSONALLY... I think Bridge, Duff and Makaay will do perfectly. We dont want to do a Leicester and sign another squad.

SNAP UP MAKAAY HES GOING 4 £15m

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cassurai:

Hmmm, why didn't Geremi play?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He played in the Confeds Cup and needs rest.

Bridge will join for £7m, that is the fee. Le Saux may go to Southampton, but as no part of any Bridge deal.

On the Emerson front, Eurosport mentioned something about it being €20m + Hasselbaink. A little steep, but if we can go lower for Emerson it'll be a great buy - we need a ball winner.

Vieri is pretty much hopeless, but Makaay would be great, and more to the point, possible.

Finally, Duff could join soon as he's believed to be in a medical right now.

BRIDGE TO MOVE UP M3 ON MONDAY: AGENT

Southampton defender Wayne Bridge is set to complete his transfer to Chelsea on Monday.

The England left back's transfer request was reluctantly accepted by the FA Cup finalists and he has opened talks with the big-spending Blues.

The two clubs agreed a fee in the region of £7 million for the 22-year-old left back, who has spent his entire career with Saints.

And Bridge's agent Jonathan Barnett expects his client to agree personal terms and make the move to Stamford Bridge on Monday.

"I can't see any problems and hopefully everything will be sorted on Monday," said Barnett.

Bridge was given his international debut by Sven-Goran Eriksson in February last year against Holland in Amsterdam.

He was part of the World Cup squad, but has lagged behind Ashley Cole, who gets regular Champions League experience with Arsenal, in the England reckoning.

Chelsea, bankrolled by their new Russian billionaire owner Roman Abramovich, are Bridge will form a new-look left flank with Blackburn's Damien Duff.

icon_smile.gif

From the observer - best take on the Chelski 'thing' so far.........maybe should be in its own thread, but what the hell.........happy reading.

-----

It was meant to be the quietest close season in years, with no World Cup or European championship to get excited about. A few lower- division clubs, including Oldham Athletic and Wimbledon FC, went into administration and face an uncertain future. That was of little interest to Fleet Street's soccerati and a stagnant transfer market made life even more difficult for them, as well as depriving fans of the usual summertime speculation about who their clubs' new signings might be. Even the intrigue provided by the protracted nature of David Beckham's move to Real Madrid proved short-lived.

After that, only the drawn-out sagas of Ronaldinho's transfer and the identity of Harry Kewell's next employers looked likely to plug football's gossip gap during the long, lean news period between the 17 June announcement of Beckham's transfer and the run-up to the start of the new season next month.

And then along came Roman Abramovich.

The Russian billionaire bought a controlling interest in Chelsea and suddenly the papers had day after day of back-page stories and two, three or four pages of coverage inside. Chunks of the oil magnate's £3.6billion fortune were just waiting to be spent on the biggest stars in the Premiership and some of the top names in European football. Only the names and price tags changed with the passing of the days. That is the way it has been since 2 July. '

What's happened at Chelsea is incredible,' says Colin Gordon, a leading football agent. 'I can't think of any parallel anywhere else in football, ever.' Gordon, whose clients include David James and Shola Ameobi, thought he knew all the storylines and subplots this overhyped sport throws up. But he happily admits he was wrong.

'The way Chelsea are spending Abramovich's money, and planning to spend even more money, is utterly unique - buying almost an entire team of proven performers in a very short space of time. It's galling even for Manchester United and Arsenal because they can't compete, and I never thought I'd hear myself say that. Chelsea are probably now in a class of one in terms of being able to buy players. The implications could be huge.'

Indeed they could. Potentially, the past 18 days at Chelsea will have big repercussions, not just for the club and the rest of the Premiership. There is the question of the future of the England head coach, with Sven-Göran Eriksson having been widely touted as the man to take over from Claudio Ranieri at Stamford Bridge. More significantly, Abramovich's arrival may also result in a significant shift in the balance of power of English football and could even change the culture of the sport.

Senior figures within football are still stunned by the speed and scale of the Russian's revolution in SW6, where a new Chelsea team is quickly coming together. West Ham United have sold Glen Johnson for £6 million and Geremi has arrived from Real Madrid for £7m. Wayne Bridge's £7m move from Southampton is imminent and Damien Duff is pondering a £17m switch from Blackburn Rovers. A £14m deal to end Juan Sebastian Veron's largely undistinguished spell at Old Trafford is still a possibility - it would have gone through if Ronaldinho had signed for United last week - and a £20m offer to Arsenal for Patrick Vieira's services apparently lies on the table. And that's before serious sums have been invested to bring in one or two top-class strikers. Inter Milan were reported yesterday to have dropped their asking price for Christian Vieri from £30m to £20m, which is well within Chelsea's price range.

Chelsea lost their first significant match of the Abramovich era, 2-0 to Lazio, in a friendly in Rome on Friday night. Afterwards, Ranieri revealed that there would be five more new faces at the club, alongside Geremi and Johnson, before the new Premiership season starts on 16 August. 'I don't really want to talk about Bridge and Duff, but I am happy now and I am sure I will be happy in a month's time,' Ranieri said. 'And after them I want to make three more signings. This is the dawn of a new era, I am sure about that. It is very exciting for me to look and to choose.'

The Italian added that he was looking to recruit 'young players and some big champions' and that the club's new owner was 'working very hard to give me all my first choices'. Although the transfer window to sign players for domestic duty remains open until the end of August, it is likely that Ranieri will want all the pivotal new personnel wrapped up by 7 August, which is the deadline for signing players to compete in the Champions League. His aim is to make Chelsea 'the top club in Europe'. Given Ranieri's words and Abramovich's chequebook, it is conceivable that Chelsea's summer spending spree could stretch to £70m or £80m.

This frantic buying and chasing, the continued presence of Ken Bates as chairman, the un ashamedly hands-on role in the recruitment process being taken by Abramovich, Ranieri's increasingly precarious position as Chelsea head coach and his much-rumoured replacement by Eriksson have combined to make Stamford Bridge the Premiership's new soap opera. Leeds United, who have occupied that role with self-destructive gusto for quite some time, will be relieved.

Beyond the headlines, though, Abramovich's takeover raises a range of fascinating and important questions. Will his 'new Chelsea' gel? Will the Premiership be more competitive? Will it send transfer fees and salaries sky high again? Might it force clubs to spend money they do not have? Can all that money buy success anyway? And is there at last a serious new challenger to the total domination that Manchester United and Arsenal have exercised for the past five years?

'Chelsea changing hands has breathed fresh excitement into football. I think it's going to be an amazing Premiership contested by the same four or five teams [as last season], but with added fascination now,' says Paul Elliott, the former Chelsea and Celtic centre-half. 'Abramovich is building a mini-Real Madrid in the Premiership. I can see the vision he has long term, to dominate the Premiership with a European style.' Elliott says that it is impossible to evaluate how the creation of 'Chelski' will affect everyone else in the top flight 'because it is a unique deal'.

But that has not stopped the managers, chairmen and chief executives of many of Chelsea's Premiership rivals starting to worry that Abramovich's huge wealth will resurrect two damaging traits in English football - clubs paying over the odds to sign players and big names successfully demanding unreasonably high salaries. Just at the time of the long- overdue dawning of football's new financial realism, it has all gone haywire again.

'It's gone crazy,' says Gordon, 'just when they thought that things were settling down financially. That's been blown out of the water - or it will be if more well-off foreigners come in and buy clubs, like the Venezuelan billionaire who's interested in taking over Aston Villa or Tottenham. Salaries are going to increase at the other top clubs because star players at places like Newcastle and Man United will start saying: "So-and-so's on £100,000 a week at Chelsea. I want that, too." Top players, who could be targets for Chelsea will do that. And there could be a knock-on effect of other players in those teams asking for more, too.'

Glenn Hoddle of Tottenham is among a number of Premiership managers to have voiced his concerns in public. 'As far as Chelsea are concerned, the [transfer] market is inflationary. I'm not sure the game can afford it,' he said.

Elsewhere in north London, Arsène Wenger goes farther. While money being invested in football is in principle a good thing, the Arsenal manager says, the Russian's riches could force other clubs to return to the bad old days of relentless overspending. 'The interesting thing is that at the moment Chelsea are an inflated part of a deflated market,' says Wenger. 'They can push that up artificially because of their financial power, and that's dangerous.'

At Fulham, Chelsea's west London rivals, 33-year-old manager Chris Coleman is grateful that events at Stamford Bridge may stop people expecting too much of him in his first full season in charge. 'Chelsea may take the pressure off me a bit,' he says. 'They have blown the transfer market wide open. They look like they are going to spend a lot of money and there will be a lot of pressure on them to succeed.'

Jim Smith, the veteran managerial hand who is now Harry Redknapp's assistant at promoted Portsmouth, is more forthright. 'It could be a disaster for football if the financial wheel turns again. It's scary. The timing, just when football was starting to follow more sensible housekeeping, is unfortunate.'

Comparisons are being drawn between today's 'new Chelsea' and the Jack Walker-funded Blackburn Rovers team who pipped Manchester United to the Premiership title on the last day of the season in 1995. Kenny Dalglish's squad cost more than £25m to assemble, a fortune in those days, probably similar to the £70-80m Chelsea might spend this summer. Almost all of Blackburn's money went on British talent, including Alan Shearer and Chris Sutton. Henning Berg was the sole foreigner. But football has become much more cosmopolitan since then. So far, Chelsea - or, to be specific, the kingpin Israeli football agent Pini Zahavi, Abramovich's headhunter cum adviser - have bought or targeted both Premiership players (Johnson, Bridge, Duff) and foreigners (Geremi, Veron, most of Arsenal's French stars and many of Serie A 's big names).

There is another important difference. Barring the odd player recruited personally by a chairman, managers here have always had the biggest say in who was bought and sold. Dalglish found or approved all Blackburn's buys. Ranieri, though, was among the last to find out about Johnson's arrival and did not know about the informal approach for Veron. Abramovich has spoken openly of his desire to be involved in recruitment and team selection. The new way things happen at Stamford Bridge makes Chelsea the first big British club to adopt the principle - popular in Italy and Spain - that the owner, or president, or chairman buys the players.

While some pundits have predicted that Chelsea's rapid rebuilding will give them a decent chance of winning this season's Champions League, the lesson from home and abroad is that money does not necessarily bring success. Inter have spent tens of millions of pounds without landing the scudetto in years. Lazio have won a solitary Serie A title and are a mind-boggling £150m in debt. Closer to home, in the past decade Sir John Hall spent big at Newcastle United, Liverpool broke records for the likes of Stan Collymore during the 'Spice Boys' era, and Chelsea themselves previously tried to buy success through European stars such as Ruud Gullit and Gianluca Vialli. None of these clubs broke Manchester United's and Arsenal's stranglehold on the Premiership trophy.

Abramovich is clearly great news for Chelsea. He has wiped out their near-£100m debts and given them unimaginable clout in the transfer market. They surely have to be considered genuine contenders for the title this season. Opinion is divided, though, on whether the Premiership - now arguably the least competitive and most predictable of Europe's best leagues - will be more than the usual two-horse race.

'In terms of overall competition, it has only upped the ante for one club, and this league needs to be more competitive in general, not just at the top,' says Jon Holmes, the influential agent to stars such as Beckham, Alan Shearer and Michael Owen who briefly served as Leicester City's chairman during their recent takeover by a consortium fronted by Gary Lineker.

'I don't see Abramovich's spending making it a more competitive league,' adds Smith. 'For Portsmouth, the problem is that it makes it a less level playing field. Only the strong will get stronger. It'll make the top echelon of the Premiership more competitive. But if they are taking the best players from the likes of Blackburn and Southampton, then they consequently become weaker. We won't fully appreciate the significance for a year or so.'

It is unlikely that Ranieri will be around then. Football insiders strongly suspect that Eriksson will take over, perhaps as soon as he has steered England to the finals of Euro 2004. Chelsea's pursuit of players the England head coach admires or has worked with before - Veron, Geremi, Vieri, Bridge - suggests he may have presented the Russian with a list that is now rapidly being assembled. Eriksson's reputation has undoubtedly been tarnished by his now- notorious rendezvous with Abramovich, with several tabloids openly describing him as 'a traitor'. But his stock within football as a very good coach is unchanged. Chelsea now look odds-on to grant him the return to club management he craves. That could be bad news for England because there is no obvious successor-in-waiting, except possibly Steve McClaren at Middlesbrough.

The takeover of Chelsea is also bad news for Arsenal, London's undisputed top club for the past 15 years. At the end of last season, it seemed that William Gallas, possibly the best centre-half in the top flight, might move to Highbury. Now he is staying put. In a huge shift in power, it is now Chelsea who are trying to persuade Arsenal's prize assets to join them.

The Gunners' summer was already shaping up badly with Wenger talking to Real Madrid, uncertainty over Vieira's intentions, financial constraints blocking the arrival of any new players and the confusion over their proposed £350m new stadium. It has just got a lot worse. The possibility of Vieira, Thierry Henry or Robert Pires crossing the capital is no longer the laughable prospect it was on 1 July.

Heysel, Hillsborough, Bosman: moments or events that change football for ever are rare. The Russian revolution in SW6 is shaping up to be just as significant. Even Sir Alex Ferguson thinks so. He was asked on Friday to assess Chelski's likely impact. Will they change the Premier League forever? 'It's possible, but it depends on how well they do in their first season. That might activate a lot of things,' he replied.

That could be the understatement of the new season

There's absolutely no reason whatsoever that what goes on at Chelsea will make other clubs spend money they don't have. Obviously that doesn't mean they won't, but the past few years really ought to have told them not to.

As a Chelsea fan the most worrying thing for me is that Abramovich might want to make teams selections on match day. Also I'm a bit worried that we will have a shít season ahead because with so many new players, however good they might be, need time to adapt and the team needs time to gel. I wouldn't be surprised if we were knocked out of the CL Quals...

Today's first transfer rumour from planetfootball...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

FREE-SPENDING Chelsea have seen a 40 million euro (£28 million) offer for starlet Fernando Torres rejected by Atletico Madrid.

The 19-year-old striking sensation is rated as the hottest young property in the Spanish game, and enjoyed a memorable first full season in the Atletico first-team last term.

Torres, a Spanish Under-21 international, made 28 league appearances for 'los rojiblancos' last season and managed an impressive return of 13 goals.

His talents have not got unnoticed, and Real Madrid and Milan have already been credited with an interest in him, while Juventus were reported to have made a 15 million euro (£10 million) player-plus-cash offer for the youngster in May.

Torres though has repeatedly stated his intention to remain at Atletico, and the Primera club are adamant he will not be sold.

However, with the financial clout provided by new owner Roman Abramovich it remains to be seen whether Atletico will be able to resist Chelsea's overtures.

The Londoners' 40 million euro bid dwarves the transfer fees paid for both David Beckham (£25 million) and Ronaldinho (£21 million) this summer, and despite their reluctance to lose Torres, the Spaniards' difficult financial situation could force them to consider doing business with the Blues.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exciting player Torres, but £28 million for someone who hasn't done anything yet - b0ll0cks. icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by displaced_seagull:

Yep, Bridge confirmed as Chelski player.

Rupert Lowe's apparently confirmed that Le Saux has gone the other way, signing a 2-year deal.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good bit of business for Southampton - Le Saux is still playing well and although they've lost a great left back they can now stregthen in other areas.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by only one henry (thierry):

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markrowe:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nufc16:

Gronkjaer up to his old tricks. getting into good positions and delivering awful crosses.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is there anyone worse at crossing than Gronkjaer playing professional football anywhere in the world?

If there is, I hope Man U buy him as Beckham's replacement. icon_wink.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

His name's Matthew Etherington icon_smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was going to say exactly the same thing when I read that post.

damn u ppl must b sittin right next 2 ur computers when things happen, and when they do BANG...

Duff is a great signing, watch alot of jelous utd fans come here and express how **** hes gunna play next season icon_biggrin.gif

Apparently, Chelsea have told Newcastle to name their price 4 Dyer. I think it was in the Daily Mail sport. Bridge is worth every penny of the £7m transfer fee IMO.

Now, a striker or either a center mid, then we can bow out of the transfer market... for a few months icon_wink.gif

Shame Scott Parker signed a new Charlton contract, he would have done good.

Will this be the end of the spending or will you still be in the transfer market? As far as I can see, if you hope Hasslebaink and Gudjohnsen hit form next season, central mid field is the only position that needs new blood.

I have a feeling Geremi will play center mid along side Lampard with Duff & Gronkjaer.

I cant see Chelsea dropping Gronkjaer he had a good season and hes promising.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 36chambers:

I have a feeling _Geremi_ will play center mid along side _Lampard_ with _Duff_ & _Gronkjaer_ on the wings.

I cant see Chelsea dropping Gronkjaer he had a good season and hes promising.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just watching Sky Sports News, breaking news is that Damien Duff has officially completed the £17m move. He's stood in front of a camera wearing a Chelsea shirt inside Stamford Bridge. You lucky Chelsea fans icon_rolleyes.gificon_smile.gif

it's gonna be great from a neutral view watching chelsea next season,

cos either all these signings will click and we'l get something special,

or they are gonna mess up big style and it's gonna rule icon_biggrin.gif

From Ananova.com:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Raul turns down Chelsea

Chelsea have failed in an audacious bid to sign Raul from Real Madrid.

The Spain striker was asked whether he would consider a transfer to Stamford Bridge.

But Raul turned Chelsea down flat, insisting he had no interest in leaving the Primera Liga champions for the Blues.

Raul's agent, Gines Carvajal, said: "Fifa agent Marc Roger, on behalf of Chelsea, asked me if Raul would be interested in entering negotiations for a transfer to Chelsea.

"I spoke to Raul, my client, and he said 'no'.

"He's not interested in leaving Real Madrid. Raul's buy-out clause is 180 million euros (£128million)."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

steve - i think not. i don't care who chelski buy next season (and reality dictates they won't be buying many more players), it will take time for them to become a championship side. they're basically back to where they were during the gullit days. buying big, building a side. at least this time they are buying them a bit younger...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HD:

One query - was the £71.4m offer for Raúl the price of his release clause?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SSN are saying his release clause is £128m, whether that is true or not I do not know.

Archived