*Official* - the BIG Chelsea thread. Post all sorts of transfer crap in here, but no mentions of 'Chelski'

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Serious question about Mutu, what are the feelings down at the Bridge about him. He looks a tidy enough player, but not a prolific goalscorer by any means.

I appreciate that he is going to take time to settle, but he just doesnt seem 'at it'.

Gudjonsson must be pretty aggrieved that he gets left on the bench so often.

• Administrators

I'm biased towards Mutu because I saw him a lot for Parma last season, and he was awesome. When we signed him I was over the moon as it's not all the time your team will sign one of your top five favourite players in world football (although we'll probably set some sort of precedent icon_biggrin.gif ).

He's so energetic, so willing to work for the team, and has fabulous quality. He's going through a lean spell, but so is

Michael Owen. He'll score and go on a run exactly when we'll need him to.

Eidur is fb too. In fact, all our strikers (Mikael and Carlton included) are. icon14.gif

Gudjohnsen really impressed me the yesterday, even though he only got 20 minutes icon14.gif

Mutu is quality, no doubt about it. Granted he hasn't scored as many as he'd want to but e gives us far more than goals imo.

• Administrators

More postaging icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Betis turn down Chelsea bid

by Morgan Pitt

According to the Daily Star, Real Betis have turned down a £25 million bid from Chelsea for Joaquin, who is also being chased by Manchester United.

The Spanish club also denied reports suggesting that the 22-year old winger has agreed to join the Red Devils for £14 million in the summer.

Betis value Joaquin, who has 11 caps for Spain, at £40 million

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

• Administrators

BATES DINNER RANT SHOCKS CHELSEA FANS

Bates dinner rant shocks Chelsea fans

CHELSEA chairman Ken Bates is being frozen out of Stamford Bridge after allegedly calling super agent Pini Zahavi a "d***head".

Outspoken Bates is believed to have made the jibe at one of his boozy £35-a-head supper clubs at Chelsea's ground even though Zahavi is a close friend of Blues' owner Roman Abramovich.

Bates interrupted a speech being given by Claudio Ranieri as the Chelsea boss mentioned Zahavi and his involvement in the club's transfer policy after the Israeli agent helped sign a string of multi-million pound superstars.

The remark was heard by the 100-plus diners, Ranieri, and was also filmed by the club's own TV channel, Chelsea TV, although it has never been broadcast.

It came just five days before Bates was told that his regular column in the Chelsea matchday programme was being axed along with his Chelsea TV. Bates, 72, who took over as chairman after buying the club for £1 22 years ago, made the remark even though Zahavi is the man who brought Russian tycoon Abramovich to Stamford Bridge and negotiated his take-over of the club.

Bates, who earned £17million from the take-over, has been replaced by Bruce Buck as chairman of the plc and allegedly told the new regime to "shove it" when told his notes were being axed.

It comes as former Manchester United chief executive Peter Kenyon has taken over at the club and is determined to improve the club's image - and Bates is now being forced out.

That is a move which has been welcomed by Chelsea legend Ron "Chopper" Harris. Bates banned Harris and Chelsea legends Peter Osgood and Alan Hudson after he tried to belittle their achievement of winning the 1970 European Cup Winners' Cup.

But Harris said: "He called the team a bunch of lager louts. He banned me because I had the nerve to respond. He's history now."

Here are some of Ken Bates' famous programme rants:

Mar 00 - "What about the Chelsea Independent Supporters Association? What have they done in the last 18 years? They run a crap fanzine which never misses an opportunity to lambast both Chelsea and myself."

Jan 02 - "I've had many complaints from fans about the Mirror's coverage of Chelsea and my answer is simple. Don't buy the rag."

May 03 - "The 'Cracked' Mirror is a newspaper in serous decline."

Oct 03 - "What is happening to disciplinary proceedings at the FA?

"At first it was just a shambles, now it has descended via farce to make it a laughing stock."

Dec 03 - "Now that Sepp Blatter, President of FIFA, has gone completely mad, let us review his latest outlandish proposals.

"Namely that the Premier League should be reduced to a maximum of 16 clubs."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

• Administrators

Chelsea sign Rennes goalie

by Morgan Pitt

Chelsea have completed the signing of Rennes goakeeper Petr Cech, according to BBC.

Rennes sporting director Pierre Dreoss would't say how much the Blues paid for the Czech goalkeeper.

However, newspapers suggest that Chelsea paid £9 million for the 21-year old shotstopper.

Cech will not move to London until the summer.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

• Administrators

02/10/2004. Damien Duff is prepared to risk aggrevating his shoulder injury and delay an operation to correct the problem until the summer.

The Irish winger hasn't started a match for Chelsea since he dislocating a shoulder in December.

"I am hoping the shoulder will heal itself with a lot of rehabilitation work," he said.

"But the doctors say there is an 80% chance the injury I had before Christmas will come back."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

• Administrators

Just an addendum to that Bates story, courtesy of the Mi**or icon_rolleyes.gif

The Mirror's unfavourable depiction of ex-Chairman Bates of course has nothing to do with his previous twitterings about Piers and co. Indeed only a cynic would attempt to find a link from the Mirror's gleeful reporting to previous extracts from Bates programme notes, such as:

"I've had many complaints from fans about the Mirror's coverage of Chelsea and my answer is simple: Don't buy the rag" and last May's observation: "The 'Cracked' Mirror is a newspaper in serous decline."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gificon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juni:

YAS! icon_cool.gif

Apart from Ryan, Matt, myself, Henrik, and Okkas, there's no-one else icon_biggrin.gif (apologies if I've forgotten anyone icon_frown.gif )<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You forgot me! I didnt know a chelsea thread existed until yesterday, was always considering starting one...

PS chesea are "Fb".

• Administrators

Long interview with Peter Kenyon. Questions in bold. www.chelseafc.co.uk

The thoughts of Peter Kenyon

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2004

New chief executive Peter Kenyon gave his first Chelsea TV interview last night. Subjects ranged from new signing Petr Cech, the management issue and Ken Bates to the question of fan involvement. He was talking to Neil Barnett. Here’s what he had to say.

Peter Kenyon, welcome. Let’s get straight to the nitty gritty. Petr Cech, the goalkeeper, what’s happening?

We concluded the deal on Friday and announced it just, I think. He’s joining us from the start of next season. He’s got a great reputation and we think he’ll be a great addition to the goalkeeping squad.

Will he be number one, will he be number two? How will it work out with Carlo?

Well that’s for Claudio to decide, but I think Claudio’s view, when I talked to him, is that he wanted to strengthen the goalkeeping part, and he thinks that Petr Cech is the man, and I’m glad that we’ve got him.

A five year contract for seven million pounds, yes?

Yes, that’s right.

Let’s talk about you. Peter Kenyon. Manchester born, a Manchester United supporter, Manchester United chief exec, why are you here?

I think the opportunity. I’m not hiding away from the fact that I am a United supporter. I’ve had a great time there, and in many ways, a lot of my friends said, I had the dream job, and I did. It was a big club, it was regarded I think, as one of THE biggest clubs in Europe, but the opportunity that I was presented here, both professionally and personally was too good to miss, because the one story, the one piece of news that rocked the world during last summer, was the taking over of Chelsea by Mr Abramovich, and that led to then what he wanted to do with it.

What was the feeling at a major club like Manchester United when it happened? Because at that stage, you couldn’t have had any idea that you could be involved in the near future?

No. I think it was interesting because if you looked at the sort of previous eighteen months, I mean the industry had gone very flat. There were issues around the ability of clubs in Italy, the transfer market had collapsed effectively, and places like Italy and Spain had been over the past five years the real inflationary countries for moving up football, player wages and transfers, and those markets had collapsed because of television monies. The UK market, the Premier League, was coming into its own television negotiation, and if you looked at most of the deals around, there weren’t many; a lot of them were loans. I think United seemed as the only club who’d got money to spend, and there was one deal done that year, and that was Rio. So the whole market was flat, and was destined to be flat for some time coming, and then all of a sudden, you get Chelsea, which is a big club, a well known club, London based, being bought, and a spending spree of a hundred million on players, and that just reignited the market, and I think what that did was send shock waves throughout the industry in terms of ‘wow, what’s going to happen here?’

I just want to ask you one question only about United. Alex Ferguson said whenever we do well against Manchester United, which we always did at Old Trafford, as you well know, Alex Ferguson was always very, very complimentary about Chelsea, much more so than he ever got the recognition for. But when we beat them this year at the Bridge, he wasn’t, and he was complaining about the penalty, and he felt that they deserved something, and I just thought for the first time, he thinks we’re real rivals now.

I think that’s right, and I think if you start to talk to people now generally about Chelsea, they’re starting to in words of ‘there’s now three clubs that will contend for the Premier League’, whereas up till last summer, there was only ever two.

Were we a third club in 1999 when we came within four points of United?

I don’t think you were. I think on a one-off basis possibly, but that third and fourth spot was always one of four or five clubs, and I think what’s now starting to happen and you talk to people, it’s seen that United, Arsenal, Chelsea; Chelsea, Arsenal, United, it’s going to be one of those three, and that’s because of the overall power that potentially those clubs have got to pull away.

We’ve had loads of emails. A lot of them, the majority of the,m have been on the question of our management. Is there a deal with Sven-Göran Eriksson to come to Chelsea?

No there isn’t, no there isn’t. Huge speculation! And I’ve lived with speculation around managers for a long time, and I know how disruptive they are, and I know some of the comments made with regards to winning a trophy have been linked directly with ‘does that mean that Claudio is over?’ you know, ‘win a trophy or move out’, and those links have not been made by anybody at the club, those have been made by the press. The issue is there isn’t a deal. Claudio has got a contract through to 2007, and where are we today? We’re still in the FA Cup, we’re third in the League, the win yesterday [sunday] kept us really in contention for the Premier League title, and I have to say that we are further along in the Champions League than I think people expected. The squad has definitely come together quicker than most outsiders believed, and we’re in a great position, and I just want to shut down once and for all this speculation, because it is now time that we close ranks, that there’s no more discussions on the subject from me, from Claudio, or from anybody else, because we met last week, we’re having good meetings and that subject matter is considered closed between the two of us, and what we should now be is maximising Chelsea’s position at the most critical part of the season, which is the run in.

We’ve had many emails in support of Claudio. It’s a strange time at Chelsea when you’ve come in, because when Claudio took over his job was to regenerate an ageing team, which in the first season, sort of finished its era and qualified for the UEFA Cup. Then we spent something like forty two million pounds in a year and formed the new team and got to the Cup Final, didn’t do that well, but the following year, without spending money, got to the Champions League, and then all of a sudden, an explosion. So in a sense, it’s a third era in four years. What are we looking for? Are we looking for stability? Are we looking for further revolution, because the road is so long up to Man United and Arsenal?

No, no, no, I don’t think you get there by revolution. I think you get there by evolution. But the foundations have got to be right, and I think this is about getting back into the club some long-term planning about Chelsea not being successful once or twice, but a lot of times over the next ten years. And that’s what makes a real club, a real European force, and a real winning culture, and that’s so critical. But it’s from Academy through to the youth development, through to youngsters breaking in to the team, through to buying world class players, who play alongside our homegrown talent, and you don’t do that overnight, you don’t do that in a season. The real thing that committed me to here was the ambition of this club, which is to be a major European force, along with the ability to invest, along with a real understanding that that’s not just about buying the Premier League title. There are clubs that have bought the title, won it, and nearly disappeared. That’s not what we want to be at Chelsea, and I’m sure that’s not what our fans want. We want to be up there with the best because we don’t just win once, but we start to win and get that heritage, and that’s what the big, big European clubs have got, they’ve got heritage.

Winability. You say people didn’t really understand what you were saying when you said that we were expected to win things; some of these e-mails clearly do not expect us to win things. Do we have to still achieve a winning culture here?

Well, I guess so. I play sport at an amateur level, but I guess part of being sporty is being competitive and part of measuring competitiveness is winning things. And whether you are the local amateur team or you are the team that played on Sunday, you talk to our players, they join teams to win things. At the end of their career they want medals, they want not just a big bank account and big cars and financial security, they want to feel they have been the best in their field and they have done that by picking up the medals and that means a huge amount. And I think if you ask any of our players at the start of the season their ambition is to win. And I think expectations go up, I’m sure the expectation around the team once we’d spent that amount of money went up but ultimately once we have won something our fans will want us to win more, will want us to win more regularly.

They’d expect you to win more.

That’s the expectation.

But at the moment should we expect to win things?

I think you’ve got to earn it. But this is a big club and I think there is nothing wrong with our fans expecting us to win. That’s the thing that I think we’ll thrive on and our players do. It manifests itself in many different ways; it manifests itself around the atmosphere in the stadium. You saw it yesterday [sunday] again, when we were ahead but there was a possibility that we might not win it, look at how the tempo kicked-up around our fans and that’s all part of it. Every fan that was here yesterday, not only me, would not have been happy with a draw or us losing.

Right. Talking of fans, Gary Wright, Murry Mercer and Caroline Rice are just some of the people who have e-mailed saying; how will you involve our fans in decision making?

Well I think there are two things. I do believe that communications is a very important part of running a football club and we are lucky here, we have got Chelsea TV, we’ve got the website, radio station, programme. We’ve got some good vehicles for doing that and getting right to our fans. I think we’ve got to build relationships with the press, and again I think there’s lots of things we can do there. We’ve got to be seen as a media-friendly club. I do genuinely believe that because ultimately that reflects on everything we do as a football club or a business. But the core of that communication has to be with the people that really matter, and that’s our fans. We’ve got to find ways, whether it’s fans’ forums, meeting with members’ clubs, meeting with fanzines, it’s about the cross section of all those groups make up Chelsea as it is today. Therefore it’s not about a one-way dialogue, us telling you, it’s go to be about a two-way dialogue and together we’ll make this thing bigger and better and to the benefit of everybody. I did it (at United) and it worked, and sometimes it’s pretty uncomfortable, you don’t always hear what you think you are going to hear, but that’s the only way of us getting better.

Can we clarify Ken’s position on the board, within CFC, within Chelsea Village?

The first thing that I would acknowledge, and I’ve known Ken for many years through my other position, and I speak for me personally and for the board, everyone recognises Ken’s contribution to Chelsea, that’s a fact. Equally, Ken sold the club back last summer and as a consequence of that he ceased to be and have any executive responsibilities. There’s nothing unusual about that, that’s quite a normal process. My job on coming in here last Monday is to be chief executive and be responsible for the day to day running and long term strategy and delivering for the board and owners what they want to do, so in effect I took over those executive responsibilities, responsible to the board. Ken remains as chairman of the football club and as a key responsibility there he will accompany me at Premier League meetings, I will be the representative of the club and he will accompany me at those meetings and will continue to do that until he takes up his life presidency position sometime in the future.

But his programme notes are finished?

Well, I think there were some discussions that have gone on with regards to making some space in the programme in order to introduce the new team, that’s Bruce Buck and myself, and Ken had indicated that he wasn’t going to do them anymore. Now I don’t want to add to the speculation, there’s not a spat. I think we all recognise Ken’s contribution but we are also moving the football club and business on.

(Viewer’s question) With branding and image being such an integral part of Chelsea’s progress in the future, are you the right man coming the right club at the right time and if so how will you change deep-rooted media misrepresentation?

Point 1, I believe I am and hope I am the right man. Point 2, it starts with performance on the field. We’ve got to get that right; we’ve got to be consistent. You don’t build a brand… our core activity is football so it starts there and builds out. I do believe we’ll get that right, I do believe we’ll get the success we sincerely deserve and what I would hope that over a period of time we will be seen as a major force in European club football that is well run and well respected and starts to take positions that move not just Chelsea forward but the industry and build on the great foundations that we’ve got here.

How can a club of our size only win the Championship once in 98 years?

Well I wasn’t here and I can’t answer that but it is an incredible statistic when you consider where you are based, what you represent, you know you’ve got a great facility so it’s got to be about the way we are doing things, hasn’t it. As I say I think already the position of the club is changing. Already the position of the club is changing and there are now three contenders and that movement has taken shape in the last six months. What we’ve now got to do is prove we are going to change that, and you start with your first one. Heritage doesn’t happen in a season, it happens over many years but you’ve got to start somewhere and I think this is the start of redressing that horrible statistic.

You’ve had a week. What are your priorities in your second week?

Purely internal. We’ve gone out, we’ve made some statements, pinned our colours to the wall in terms of what we want to be, and that’s important. I was greatly impressed by the people I met last week. I’ve still got a lot of the business to get around and learn and understand how Chelsea operates because there isn’t a blueprint. But the enthusiasm around Chelsea, the 500 people that work here behind the scenes are what really make it happen every day and week of the year and that’s a great support to our footballing staff. And it really is about getting to know them more, getting to understand it more and getting our ducks in a row and starting to prepare for next season, and that can’t happen too early. There’s a lot to do, there’s a lot of enthusiasm and a great buzz around the place about what Chelsea can achieve.

And how many changes do you think there will be next season, especially in the transfer market?

Well I think like any other club, we’ve got players coming out of contract, we’ve got players in that period by where you’d want to look at the next contract or what’s happening and inevitably and most critically there’s got to be discussions with the manager as to where he feels the weaknesses are. And that’s something that we are constantly reviewing but it really starts to shape at the end of the season. Right now the manager and the players’ view is concentrating on the next week’s game, we’ve got a heavy month coming up by anybody’s standard, we’ve got some fantastic games and we’ll have to be on top form to come through that which is why we want to put up the shutters and concentrate on that period.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im not entirely convinced I understand the logic of the cech signing or what he's been told by claudio.

Is CR really going to start rotating keepers next season as well?

Or will it be a case of cech comes in when carlo's injured, stays there as long as he stays injury-free and performs well-enough, and then when (if ever) he does get injured, carlo comes back in etc...

• Administrators

Zahavi hits back at Bates blast

Wednesday, 11 February 2004

Leading agent Pini Zahavi has hit back this week at comments that Chelsea chairman Ken Bates made about him in an after-dinner speech.

The Israeli businessman was upset with the 72-year-old's alleged comments about him in the speech, despite being part of the negotiations that saw Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich take over the Stamford Bridge club as owner from Bates last summer.

Bates's influence on the West London club is slowly coming to an end following Abramovich's takeover and chief executive Peter Kenyon's decision to remove him all boardroom and executive decisions.

With that, Zahavi believes the controversial Blues chairman's comments were unwarranted and that he should be thankful Abramovich bought him out in the summer.

"This revolting character is not worthy of a response," Zahavi told Tel Aviv daily Ma'ariv.

"If I was in his shoes, I would be wake up every morning praying to God and thanking him that Pini Zahavi saved him from bankruptcy and put £19 million in his pocket.

"He is history as far as English football is concerned."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

COME ON KENNETH icon_mad.gif

• Administrators

Juan Sebastian Veron has been told he dare not risk playing another game for Chelsea this season.

The 28-year-old Argentine star who cost Stamford Bridge owner Ramon Abramovich £16.8million from Manchester United last summer has instead been advised to plan his Barclaycard Premiership comeback for the start of next season.

Veron has been out sidelined since last November with a major back problem after being injured playing for his country.

There was hope he would be given the all clear to return some time in April, but even that date is now a non starter - unless Veron miraculously accelerates his recovery which has been initially supervised by the Argentine Football Association.

Veron, at home in Buenos Aires with his family while he undergoes treatment, has suffered a secondary problem with his leg that has slowed down his rehabilitation.

He chose to return home to have his back problem operated on by a surgeon he trusted and who had helped him in the past.

Veron came through the operation well but has been warned against rushing back into action and risking a relapse that could undo the intricate repair.

His career has been shadowed by controversy since he joined Manchester United from Serie A club Lazio. He failed to be an expected instant hit at Old Trafford before being sold on to Chelsea with the help of Abramovich's wealth.

But he has only played eleven matches for the west London club and most of these were unimpressive before sustaining the injury that has crippled his current season.

He carried most of the blame from his fellow countrymen for Argentina's poor performances and early exit from the World Cup finals two summers ago and to add to his personal anguish his London home was recently burgled.

Veron had originally planned to be fit enough to contribute in the final matches of a season that must produce a major trophy, the Premiership title and the European Champions League being the big two.

That now appears to be a forlorn hope.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

• Administrators

Carlo out, Crespo in

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2004

Carlo Cudicini misses his second game running with a groin strain at Portsmouth tonight, but should be fit for the FA Cup tie with Arsenal on Sunday. Hernán Crespo returns to the squad for the first time since tearing a calf muscle against Liverpool on January 7th.

There are also returns for John Terry from suspension, Joe Cole from suspension and injury, Claude Makelele from injury and Scott Parker from contractual obligations.

Marcel Desailly, who made up the numbers on Sunday when not fully fit, is left out to continue his rehabilitation. Alexis Nicolas also drops out.

The squad of 17 is: Neil Sullivan, Marco Ambrosio, Mario Melchiot, William Gallas, Robert Huth, John Terry, Wayne Bridge, Glen Johnson, Frank Lampard, Claude Makelele, Scott Parker, Joe Cole, Jesper Grønkjær, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink, Adrian Mutu, Eidur Gudjohnsen and Hernán Crespo.

Also not included are Celestine Babayaro (hamstring injury), Damien Duff (Achilles injury), Mario Stanic (knee injury), Gérémi (coming back from African Cup of Nations), Emmanuel Petit (knee injury), Juan Sebastián Verón (back injury) and Jürgen Macho (knee injury).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me > Glenn icon_cool.gif

I think Chelsea need to get rid of players like Stanic and Petit (sorry, don't rate him !) and not sure how you're gonna fit Parker, lampard, Geremi, Makele, Gronkjaer, Cole, Veron, etc in a midfield !

I think all this cash has really over-shadowed what Ranieri had done with the club before the money came in ... to spend nothing last season and get you into the Champions League was a great achievement icon14.gif

Now he's no donbt gonna end up out on his ear within a season or two !

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

Why would they sit there anyway, or was you sat in the away stand last night?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because for Cup games you have to give a bigger percentage to the away support, so we normally give up the whole clock end for these matches, meaning I have to relocate to the North Bank and let some Chelsea bonehead have MY seat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Razzler:

I think Chelsea need to get rid of players like Stanic and Petit (sorry, don't rate him !) and not sure how you're gonna fit Parker, lampard, Geremi, Makele, Gronkjaer, Cole, Veron, etc in a midfield !

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stanic is on his way out for sure. Petit has at best 1 year left iof we decide to hold on to him.

Apart from that we have Pareker, Makelele, Lampard, veron in the middle. Cole, Duff, Geremi and Gronkjaer who play wide.

Thats 2 per position and what Ranieri is aiming for. And once the champ league starts off again we'll need all those players.

Just look at sunday when we had to play Johnson in midifeld and a guy ith no premiership experience in the middle.

And thats when we've only got about a game a week.

Apparently the Gronk's been making noises about a lack if improvement under Ranieri. In all honesty I wouldn't mind seeing him go at the end of the season.

Even Zenden's playing better than him at the moment icon_eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ryan Hollands:

Apparently the Gronk's been making noises about a lack if improvement under Ranieri. In all honesty I wouldn't mind seeing him go at the end of the season.

Even Zenden's playing better than him at the moment icon_eek.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

May also explain interest in Joaquin....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Chelsea Reserves 1 Coventry Reserves 1

Monday, Feb 02, 2004

It took the power of Robert Huth to rescue a point for Chelsea in tonight’s fixture at Aldershot but it was his head rather than his piledriver shot that applied the finishing touch to earn Mick McGiven’s team a deserved share of the spoils.

It had taken Chelsea close on an hour to get back into the game, the lead having been surrendered as early as 15 minutes into the first-half.

It was an avoidable goal too; last week’s red card victim Steven Watt miscontrolling the ball and allowing Roy O’Donovan a clear run on goal. He pushed the ball wide of Neil Sullivan and made no mistake with the goal unguarded.

There had been chances at both ends before that. Huth had conceded a free-kick which Sullivan tipped over the bar and a minute later, Alexis Nicolas found Craig Rocastle wide on the left but his low cross was turned wide by Filipe Oliveira.

In goal for the visitors was Pegguy Arphexad, no doubt remembered by many Chelsea fans for his heroic, but ultimately futile attempt to keep Frank Leboeuf and co. at bay when playing for Leicester in 1997.

Tonight he again was an obstacle, blocking Michele Gallaccio’s close-range header from a corner and just before half-time proving quick enough off his line to deny Woodards after good work by Boussoufa and Gallaccio had played him through.

Earlier on Gallaccio had again been Woodards’ supplier but this time the effort was deflected wide and then when Watt and Woodards kept an aerial ball alive in the area, Gallaccio’s overhead attempt flew over.

Coventry’s other serious attempt before the break came from the goalscorer, five minutes before the whistle, when his well-struck cross-shot flew across the face of goal and just wide.

On the balance of chances at least, Chelsea didn’t deserve to be behind.

The first 45 minutes had seen Boussoufa playing behind a front two of Woodards and Gallaccio, supported by a midfield trio of Rocastle, Nicolas and Oliveira. After the break it was switched to a flat midfield four with the little Dutchman out on the left - and it worked.

In a positive start, Boussoufa swung over a succession of crosses but no-one could apply strong enough finishing touches and when the ball did sit up nicely for Huth just 15 yards out, barely anyone could believe when Chelsea’s tank-boy met it with a powder puff contact.

Another good move ended with Woodards blasting wide and doubts whether the team would break through started to be raised. But then Huth’s moment arrived, even if it was divided into two episodes.

For the first time in the game Chelsea were awarded a free-kick in his territory – a mere 35 yards out! He struck it well, it took a deflection but still Arphexad was up to the challenge, tipping round at the base of his post.

Even he stood no chance from resulting corner, taken by recently introduced Filipe Morais, when Huth meet it with the firmest of heads from only ten yards out.

Near the end Chelsea could have had a winner. A surging break against a tiring Coventry team saw the ball fall to Rocastle on the edge of the area. Reluctant to go with a left-foot shot, he tried to work the ball past a defender onto his right but when the left remained the best option, his shot looped over the bar.

So a draw it was and with senior reserve players such as Sebastian Kneissl, Joe Keenan and Valerio Di Cesare now out on loan, the younger heads who replaced them tonight can take some pride in having brought a two game losing run to an end.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Linkage

Chelsea Reserves also drew 1-1 with Tottenham on monday but there ain't no report on it.

We had a 15 year-old with a meaty afro in defence and after going behind we drew level with a penalty, which I think was scored by Rocastle, the captain for the evening.

icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juni:

15 year old with a meaty afro? icon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah!! icon_smile.gif

He's called Medro Minutis or something so I'm calling him MM for now. Chelsea had to get a note from his PE teacher so he could play icon_biggrin.gif

• Administrators

Decent enough performance tonight, good result. Grønkjær looks far more dangerous on the left than the right, but still needs to sort his crossing out. Parker, Makelele, and Terry had good games, but I felt the standouts were Melchiot, who was brilliant, and Bridge, who played so well under such abuse.

Oh, and for the first time I was really annoyed by TCWTB icon_mad.gif

Archived