The Hibs & Romanov thread 06/07

I just think that a club like Hibs should be promoted more - Edinburgh is a huge city and is capable of having two clubs who should be getting 30,000 every game. Who am I to talk though, Leeds can't even get over 20,000 these days in one of the biggest cities in the UK icon_frown.gif

I blame it on the boogie.

Also ER icon_biggrin.gif

I'd like to see Hearts sell out Murrayfield if you get in the Champions League proper.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the population of Edinburgh - 880000? Having a population in that region I'm surprised both teams can't collectively attract 80, 000 from that figure. Doing well, I suspect Hearts could realistically expect 40 thousand (give or take a few hundred). I'm not sure what the figures would be like for Hibs though

Edinburgh's population is only 500,000 I believe, unless there has been a rapid increase in the past couple of years.

However looking back to the 70's and before we certainly could then and Hearts have shown with Murrayfield and the cup semi that they can attract a far larger support and we showed the same to with the Livi final.

Prices and success are the crucial causes of why it's not the same now. And the amount of OF fans in Edinburgh too of course.

Personally I think it's jsut the League Hibs are in...it's not very glamourous is it?

Let's face it most clubs should get great crowds.

Aberdeen - population 200,000. Surely there are 30-50 thousand football fans in Aberdeen?

Celtic - Could probably sell out 70,000 most weeks.

Dundee United - population of 140,000 - bearing in mind that they share the city with Dundee FC, surely 20,000 per team isn't unreasonable?

Dunfermline - Population of 50,000. With a 12,000 seater stadium there is potential. If they could sell this out week-in and week-out you couldn;t really ask for more? that's 1/5 of the population. But they are getting under 10,000 most matches.

Falkirk - Just a small club in a small town with a population of 30,000. 6,000 fans per week isn't really bad in those circumstances.

Hearts - Are now finally selling out. Stadium is limiting attendance but in a city of 448,624 the stadium should be expanded to 30,000 and getting filled week in and week out.

Hibs - Very similar to Hearts' situation in most aspects yet aren't selling out frequently enough...success (ala Hearts) brings this though.

Inverness - Population of 50,000 but when you consider they're the only good team in the Highlands, bigger crowds should be expected from Caley...hopefully a satadium expansion/upgrade can bring this as they have potential to be a fulham-like club in the SPL.

Kilmarnock - Population of 60,000. Doesn't help that they are close to Glasgow and OF. The club has the largest supporter base outside the four big cities in Scotland...they can pull 18,000 every week..but don't.

Motherwell - 30,000 population. If they can fill their stadium every week it's a very good job...they've done it before so they should still be able to now.

Rangers - sell out most times...along with Celtic, they are prime examples of what other Scottish clubs can be like in terms of support.

St Mirren - 75,000 population. Quite frankly, St Mirren had great support in First Diviison last season. Whether they will attract more fans now they are in SPL is another question. I think The Buddies can sell 15,000 tickets every week if the circumstances are right.

Then there are SFL teams like Gretna, Partick, St Johnstone et al who have the potential to be SPL clubs and have SPL crowds.

Something has to be done to encourage more people in Scotland to play and watch football when you consider the population is there for most clubs and the passion is there.

Price comes into it. Travel comes into it (especially for away attendances). Or is it a case of SPL/SFL/SFA promotion directors being *****?

Gretna have potential because of the novelty. They have shown that by taking 20,000 to the Scots Cup final. Mileson has started a good initiative which is creating a good fan base in the whole of dumfries and galloway. If they get in the SPL they will easily get over 5,000 fans per game...probably more.

You can't expect 1 in 4 or 5 of a cities population to go and support their local team every week or to even be interested in doing so.

People work through games, people can't afford to shell out £20 + every weekend. It's just not going to happen.

England can't be that different surely. We always want to see full stadiums but Britain is still doing better than a lot of other countries is it not?

That figure is off Wiki (I think it may have been from the 2001 census). So I'd imagine it includes Lothians, Leith etc.

Steve, Elland Road isn't full of people from Leeds. Surely People from surrounding areas support teams in the city?

What I'm saying is that it seems to be the towns which have good addentance-population ratios (probably due to the diverse population of cities...unis etc).

It doesn't seem as if the towns have too much of a problem. But if the OF can bring in over 100,000 football fans every weekend in a population of around 650,000, then surely Edinburgh clubs can pull in 50,000 between them in a city of just under 500,000.

I beleive there is a market out there. The problem is that it just isn't affordable enough and marketed well enough. Considering there are 5,000,000 in Scotland, 300,000 SPL fans isn't that extravagant. The demography isn't that vast and extreme in Scotland.

Anyway, what's the Setanta coverage like? Never had it before but I've ordered the intertoto cup game.

Unfortunatly there are about as many people in Edinburgh that support rantic as much as there is hibs/hearts fans. Even more when you go outside edinburgh.

Where are you lads watching the games today? Trying to find out if the cabbage is showing it as I saw it had reopened. Apparently the cask and barral were advertising the games. Not been there before though. Can't really be arsed with sportsters today.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyway, what's the Setanta coverage like? Never had it before but I've ordered the intertoto cup game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

currently watching the Preston friendly on Satan TV, it's aright to be honest, Ian Crocker (the commentator from Sky Sports) is the new SPL one for Setanta, probably one of the reasons why he moved was due to the fact that he's getting to commentate on the Premiership action they gain next year icon_wink.gif

the host is utter pish though, I think I recognise him from the radio or something, he has such a monotone voice, this game has been quite good to this point (Hearts leading 2-1) but he sounds like he'd rather be somewhere else. Although he was the host of the Celtic/Chivas game last night so I dont blame him for feeling tired icon_biggrin.gif I hope he's not the SPL host though, doesnt sound like he really cares about the Scottish leagues

Aye I think you'll still win the tie. They were nothing special. Couldn't believe the ref turned the penalty down near the end as it was clear cut icon_biggrin.gif

Brown still looks like a class act in goals and made a few flaps at crosses.

Looking at your team Brown and Thomson will carry you through a lot of games this season imo. Without them you have a very average side. When is Boozy back for you?

First few games of the season.

Murphy is still a great player as Whittaker can be just perhaps not a great defender. Fletcher has so much promise, hopefully he has a great Euro championship.

I'd like to see Brown and Thomson in centre midfield. But it's tough when you also have Boozy and Stewart who don't really suit being wide icon_confused.gif

Stewart used to play for Scum so I don't really like him...he's a ***** player too. Thomson and Brown are a good partnership and Boozy adds influence I guess...good passer too.

I thought Whittaker was awesome on the right wing v Dinaburg...could be a provider.

We have 6 players on trial this morning.

Hristos Karapidis - 23 yr old Greek defender from PAOK. He played 5 times for PAOK in the UEFA cup last season scoring 1 goal and also getting a red card in those.

Mauricio Pinilla - 22 yr old forward from Chile who signed for Inter but never made the breakthrough and has since appeared for Chievo, Celta Vigo, Sporting and Racing Santander. Not got a great scoring record though :/

Surprisingly the other 4 are of the same nationality. I'll give you 3 guesses as to what icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jambo:

I see Webster looks set to make the massive step up he expected when he joins Wigan. What European competition that you'll be playing in now Andy? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol. You bitch you.

So yeah Webster is a good un when you arent actually being bitter, right?.

Webster is a fine player, however, what he and his agent done before the Dundee Utd games was unforgivable. I think you'll find this is why most Hearts fans are a little bit bitter when it comes to Webster. At least Skacel had the decency to wait until the season had finished before he start all his nonsense.

JKB is a little surreal at the moment due to the passing IrvineJambo. A truly terrific young man that was passionate about all things Scottish and contributed so much to those particular forums. I've not been on Hibs.net, but I'm sure he also contributed there too.

Was this Kahoona?

My dad mentioned something about this the other night. Quite a young lad that was very right wing but always came across well.

I'm trying to organise a game of 5's for tonight but all my bloody jambo mates are going to the damn osasuna game. Serves me right for befriending jambos really icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Webster is a fine player, however, what he and his agent done before the Dundee Utd games was unforgivable. I think you'll find this is why most Hearts fans are a little bit bitter when it comes to Webster. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers icon14.gif

Anyway he was apparatly spotted at one of the local hospitals today. Presumably going for a medical.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eleanor_Rigby:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stevethedog:

Was this Kahoona? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Something like that. Not 100% sure though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kahoonas. Had a Lion Rampant as his avatar. I won't pretend he was my bestest online friend and that I always searched out his posts, but I always noticed him in threads about Scotland and Scottish football. Intelligent guy, not blinkered in his views like hundreds are on message boards.

Hearts looked pretty decent in spells tonight. Osasuna are a few weeks behind in pre-season so they weren't up to full speed.

First goal was an absolute peach from one of the trialists (Valiska i think). Ibby Tall got the 2nd with a volley from close range following a Johnson free-kick

Jankuaskas showing his diving skills that were first shown in Lithuania V Scotland a few years ago, the guy never touched him icon14.gif

not the most exciting game but Hearts deserved to win it, pretty disappointed with Osasuna if I'm being honest

Yeah agree with TM's second line really, Osasuna never really looked like winning. Gordon had one or two good saves but that was it.

Did anyone get a good view of the first goal? I was quite far away and it didn't really look like he meant it. Seemed to come from nowhere.

And I reckon Berra will be in the full Scotland squad this season if he manages to keep his current form up. Thought he had promise but was prone to the odd mistake but this pre-season he has been immense tbf to him

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jambo:

A huge wage icon_biggrin.gif

The Lithuanians will never get a massive wage if they come from Kaunus. I'd imagine Jankauskas is the only one on a decent wage and most SPL clubs would be able to afford the others </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Didn't realise he was lithuanian icon_frown.gif Shows it was a one off really but now he can demand a decent wage at least if Hearts want him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eleanor_Rigby:

I've not bothered with this bunch of pre season games. In fact, I'm like this most seasons as these games mean ****. However, I do find it halarious at how serious some OF fans take their club's pre season/friendly games. icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well Celtics pishness has been rather amusing. I do think Jarosik will run the SPL this year though.

Archived