The Hibs & Romanov thread 06/07

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Rhoades:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richey White:

And we have a centre half \o/ A proper one \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

are you talking about rob jones? if you are then yes he is a marvelous defender. wins everything going in the air and makes a lot of great timely tackles.

he was too good for us, probably a cc championship quality defender. awesome signing for you and on a free too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looked good enough last week anyway. Fair enough he was playing against the equivilant of a girls under 15 pub team, but can't complain...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Serious question, does anyone really give a feck about Scottish football as a whole or do you only care when it comes to your own team?

As for me, over the last couple or so seasons, I've lost interest in the Scottish game and only really care what happens to Hearts and Hearts only. Thus I would probably take greater delight in seeing Hibs humiliated in Europe rather than see them progressing. Maybe it's down to the fact that most other fans have said (mostly Hibs fans) they would take great delight in seeing Hearts go bust, I dunno.

It's strange given that most Hearts fans supported the 'hands of Hibs' campaign and some even went to the trouble of giving financial aid so as to help the Hibs fans set up a support group.

Of course I care about Scottish football as a whole. I care about Rangers more but for them to survive as best as they can, we need a strong Scottish league.

Sure, I enjoy our rivals getting beat but when it comes to Europe I'd rather they did well (but not too well)...

So many paradoxes not enough time... icon_biggrin.gif

There was loads of folk laughing at Hearts and the possibility of them going bust at first but I actually think that if every Hibs fan thought about it the majority wouldn't want hearts to die.

I like Scottish football, i'm always a bit torn when it comes to Hearts, Rangers or Celtic in Europe. It's still by far the league I have most interest in and I'd rather watch St. Mirren v Dundee Utd than Fulham v Charlton.

Serious question, who do you think will win the friendly between Hibs and Charlton at Easter Road and who do you think would win if it was a competitive game?

My mate attempted to rip me for saying that I think Hibs will win.

I care about Scottish football and I'm not even Scottish! Basically ER, do you want to see Gretna do well in Europe? And the other teams bar Hibs (and OF) if they were in Europe?

To be honest, I don't really like Hearts at all but I wouldn;t mind seeing them do well in Europe (just as long as they don't win it)...it's a good promotion for the Scottish game.

For years the OF have been the sole promoters of Scottish football in Europe...not attracting enough. If all the Scottish teams do well in Europe then eventually Scotland will have three champions League places...I think they are only two places behind the 3 spots nation. Would you not like that?

Basically this season I think/hope;

Rangers: 1/4 finals; win it

Celtic: Second Round; win it

Hearts: Group Stages; 1/4 finals

Hibs; Group Stages; win it

Gretna; Group Stages; win it

Say, hypothetically, A Scottish team won UEFA Cup and European Cup, Scotland would almost certainly have 3 champions league spots. That is good for the game.

We're not going to win the CL any time soon but we can all do better.

However if we can all improve and achieve decent consistency at that level in terms of the knock out phase of the CL and the last 8 of the UEFA Cup then increasing our European competition representatives should be our first goal.

It's not beyond us either.

I've never cared if Scottish teams win or lose in Europe as it has no effect on my team.

I usually only follow the lower leagues as that's where my team has always been and they are generally more interesting although I occasionally check on the SPL. The SPL has had a feeling of inevitability about it for years, although it's good to see someone like Romanov shaking up the league.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pandaLUFC:

I care about Scottish football and I'm not even Scottish! Basically ER, do you want to see Gretna do well in Europe? And the other teams bar Hibs (and OF) if they were in Europe?

To be honest, I don't really like Hearts at all but I wouldn;t mind seeing them do well in Europe (just as long as they don't win it)...it's a good promotion for the Scottish game.

For years the OF have been the sole promoters of Scottish football in Europe...not attracting enough. If all the Scottish teams do well in Europe then eventually Scotland will have three champions League places...I think they are only two places behind the 3 spots nation. Would you not like that?

Basically this season I think/hope;

Rangers: 1/4 finals; win it

Celtic: Second Round; win it

Hearts: Group Stages; 1/4 finals

Hibs; Group Stages; win it

Gretna; Group Stages; win it

Say, hypothetically, A Scottish team won UEFA Cup and European Cup, Scotland would almost certainly have 3 champions league spots. That is good for the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't really care how well Rangers, Celtic and Gretna do, nor am i fussed whether or not they get stuffed. However, with Hibs being our rivals I would be delighted to them get stuffed.

As I said, maybe it's because I've become disillusioned with all this 'for the good of our national game' stuff due to how other clubs, fans and journalists have stuck the boot in every opportunity they get. Don't be fooled by the Hibbys that say today's attitude towards Hearts is solely down to Romanov and how our fans have suddenly got above our stations, all this **** started when Robinson nearly killed the club. A day wouldn't pass when these people (and Chris too) would gloat about our situation. You find out what people are made of when times are hard.

Would I give a toss if Hibs went bankrupt? Probably not.

Our situation > Yours

Still.

icon_razz.gif

A friend of mine couldn't believe that I thought that way. Celtic fan though eh.

Wouldn't mind finding those old threads actually, would it be about the time that we started the last thread or when we were using the SPL thread?

Are Hibs the first club to offer this?

HI Live Season Tickets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For overseas based Hibees I'm pleased to say that Hibernian Interactive Live have now announced season ticket prices for all home games this season broadcast live. Details on the official site front page (Interactive panel), £95 is the inclusive price for all home games plus a 20% discount on other league games covered live plus annual membership for Hibernian Interactive - and the friendly against Charlton will also be thrown in for those signing up before 24 July. If you already have a current HI membership we will extend it by one year. You can purchase this from Monday.

Hibs have supporters clubs all over the world panda icon_wink.gif

The club are quite decent in that if a game has poor quality or cuts off they will give the fans another game or a refund and reward. That's what they did with the first inter toto game anyway because it cut out for a bit.

Shetlands too? Moving on and up, nothing can stop Petrie.

Anyway, you off to the next intertoto game (home or away) then steve? I've actually started warming to Hibs quite a lot now. I've always preached that "I'm a one-club man...Leeds til I die." but for some reason I really do like Hibs now. Therefore I'll be up for the home leg once again.

been talks for a while of it going to 28k with a re-developed main stand. Problem atm is with the nursery, Romanov has offered to build them a brand new one to replace the huts they currently use but they are stalling for some reason :/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hearts head coach Valdas Ivanauskas today confirmed he's set to offer Georgian international left-back Giorgi Popkhadze a contact with the Jambos, but the two other trialists - Ales Urbanek and Tiago Costa are unlikely to win a move to Tynecastle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From Forth One

Some more info I found

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

The 19-year-old, who plays for Greek club Olympiakos, is expected to be given a chance to play against Slovak side Spartak Trnava on Saturday.

The club website stated that Georgian national coach Klaus Toppmoller recommended Popkhadze - who has five full caps - to the Tynecastle club.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

5 full caps at 19 yr old so he must be decent

Looking at the Olympiakos site it looks as if he played a fair bit last season as well icon14.gif

Ulrik knows the score

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Ulrik: Respect for Hibs

Hibernian’s Intertoto Cup opponents Odense should expect a wall of noise when they come to Easter Road a week on Saturday – that is the message being passed to his team-mates by former Easter Road defender Ulrik Laursen this week as the Danes prepare to meet Hibernian at the Fionia stadium on Saturday.

Laursen is telling Danish supporters that they should have the utmost respect for their Scottish counterparts, as 10,000 Hibernian supporters gathered together can ‘sound like 60,000 anywhere else in the world’! Laursen told the Danish media: “When we played Shelbourne our supporters were surprised at the noise generated by 400 Irish supporters, they did not know that 400 could below so loudly. However they should expect even more against Hibernian, they can have 10,000 who will bellow as loud as 60,000 do at Parkhead.â€

Laursen, who spent three years at Celtic after joining the Parkhead club in 2002 having spent two years at Easter Road, added: “Hibernian are a club with a great tradition of attacking football, they will be hard to get off the ball. The Hibernian supporters appreciate good football even from their opponents, if their opponents play to a good standard then that will also be very well received by the Hibernian fans. It is then vital that we show their supporters the utmost respect. For Hibernian fans their club is their life.â€

Among the fond memories Laursen has of his time at Easter Road are the Edinburgh Derby encounters with Hearts, the Dane pointing out the rivalry between the Edinburgh sides that in his view is on a par with that between Rangers and Celtic. He said: “Much is said about the ‘Old Firm’ Derby in Glasgow, however an Edinburgh game between Hibs and Hearts is every bit as passionate and equally hard fought. It is something that I was very happy to experience in my time in Scotland, but I will not forget the happy times I had with Hibernian and the supporters there.â€

Tickets for the home leg of the Intertoto Cup clash are still available from the Easter Road ticket office, with Season Ticket holders reminded that they have until Saturday to claim their own seats before these go on general sale. Tickets are also available for the pre-season visit of Charlton to Easter Road on Tuesday July 25th, priced at £15 for Adults and £5 for concessions.

Stuart Crowther

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From the official site.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pandaLUFC:

It's wierd how Hibs can't sell out for important <STRIKE>League</STRIKE> domestic cup semi final games but can come close when playing mickymouse European opposition.

I think Hibs should beat these...hopefully getting into UEFA Cup Group Stages...that'd be brill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

fixed icon14.gif

Cheers Rigby icon_frown.gif

Long way away from the group stages, if we can reach the 1st round then we will likely get a very tough draw and that's still 2 ties away.

Big game tomorrow.

We have nearly 10,000 ST holders and were regularly getting upwards of 13,500 at games. A problem that SPL teams have is that only Rangers, Celtic and Hearts sell out their allocation and Aberdeen are the only other club to bring over a large support. That's why it's not full, you have to get there early to get into the east or west stand these days otherwise you end up in the away end.

Archived