The 2008/2009 Arsenal Thread

josh_b

Sagna was a much different prospect to come in and play a season first choice than Gibbs at this point in his career.

On the whole Arsenal fans are tired of replacing established, international, players for youngsters that need time to settle and find a rhythm. If we do sell Clichy, then we'll need to get a replacement in, or risk playing half of the season with Silvestre out there.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sagna was a much different prospect to come in and play a season first choice than Gibbs at this point in his career.

On the whole Arsenal fans are tired of replacing established, international, players for youngsters that need time to settle and find a rhythm. If we do sell Clichy, then we'll need to get a replacement in, or risk playing half of the season with Silvestre out there.

Selling Clichy would be a massive step backwards.

An uknown player in the shape of Sagna.

Baines.

Or I'd accept Vermaelen and Gibbs being the main players for that position if the Clichy money went on a top class Central Midfielder.

Gibbs not ready yet, he is not that good defensively, hes like Clichy always tracks back, and his positional play is awful, all that will grow in time. Vermaelen we haven't got yet. None of them better than Clichy.

An uknown player in the shape of Sagna.

Baines.

Or I'd accept Vermaelen and Gibbs being the main players for that position if the Clichy money went on a top class Central Midfielder.

Pretty much this. Would happily sacrifice Clichy and my right testicle if it meant us getting us getting a top class CM.

I'm not really sure how you can make that judgement on Vermaelen as I would put money on you have never seen him play outside of a Friendly match against us.

And Baines was miles better than Clichy this season. Also has the bonus that he'd fill whatever limit on players that might be brought in in x years.

I'm not really sure how you can make that judgement on Vermaelen as I would put money on you have never seen him play outside of a Friendly match against us.

And Baines was miles better than Clichy this season. Also has the bonus that he'd fill whatever limit on players that might be brought in in x years.

Josh are you caught in 2 minds here, you made a jugement saying Vermaelen can cover Clichy then you're saying whoever made their judgement on Veramaelen can't make one because they haven't seen him. What are you talking about.

I agree that Baines is a good player I've always liked him but he's not good enough to replace Gael.

i have no idea how anyone can say baines is not good enough to replace clichy? when firstly baines has showed nothing to say he couldn't be good enough for arsenal, except a decent season.

its like when people who are annoying say djourou is better than someone like gary cahill, just because djourou plays for arsenal.

Baines is more than good enough, been nearly twice as good as Clichy this season.

I'm not in two minds at all. I have said that I would accept if Vermaelen was used to play LB if we sold Clichy and used the money to buy a top quality Central midfielder. I said that you can't make a judgement of whether he's good enough or not as you haven't seen him. I made no judgement on his ability

Learning to read would probably help you in your SATs or GCSEs or whatever it is you are doing.

No, he's saying that YOUR judgement on him wouldn't be accurate as he doubts you have ever seen him play outside of our friendly against him back in 2007.
I didn't make any judgements on Vermaelen, I have never seen him play, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Baines is more than good enough, been nearly twice as good as Clichy this season.

I'm not in two minds at all. I have said that I would accept if Vermaelen was used to play LB if we sold Clichy and used the money to buy a top quality Central midfielder. I said that you can't make a judgement of whether he's good enough or not as you haven't seen him. I made no judgement on his ability

Learning to read would probably help you in your SATs or GCSEs or whatever it is you are doing.

Same applies to you I have never made any judgements on Vermaelen, yet you're saying he should play Left Back when he might not even cut it at Centre Back. So you should learn to read, might help you in your nursery rhymes or whatever you're doing at the moment, don't get cheeky.

Vermaelen isnt better than Clichy though, I can tell you now, he isn't used to the premier league, he prefers centre back. Jesus :D And you made a statement that you hadn't judged him even though you said he was a good enough replacement, what is that based on, you buying him on FM?

You 2 kinda seem a bit like bum pals don't ya think.

Right back on topic, Arsenal sent me another membership renewal thing yesterday even though mine doesn't run out until end of next season :D

Heard that Matuidi might be signing for Everton, crazy is that, Wenger too busy in Asia to even bother about signing anyone.

The rumors about Sakho are really building momentum, anyone have any opinions? If he has as much potential as what is being banded about I think he'd be a great signing. Vermaelen to slot straight into the first team with Sakho as another young backup and future star. Should see our center back position filled for quite some time.

But yeah, give me your addresses and I'll buy you each a bib to catch the raging froth you are both are producing because someone dared to criticise one of your darlings.

Screw you :D

The irony is my post was perfectly calm, evidently you failed to keep your cool :cool:

Anyone receive their silver renewal after 8th June' date=' the date it says to renew by to keep your current status.

Assuming this is some kind of mistake otherwise i'm f**ked[/quote']God knows mate, I got a renewal card telling me to renew even though I don't run out till end of next season (I got the buy a membership last season and get next season free).

I think they have a got in a bit of a muddle with the memberships.

I hope clichy doesnt go. For me, him and Sagna are the only two good parts of our defense right now. Sagna especially has had a good season considering who he's been in defense with. clichy hasnt been that shockingly bad, i see no reason why he can't bounce back to top form next season

though, saying that, i would willingly take the £20 million if it were offered.

Zapata would be awesome, we need a big strong central defender, to work alongside Djourou, Gallas, Toure, no need to get rid of any of them.

More than anything though, we really need to get a strong central midfielder!

Defense-wise, has anyone considered that Almunia is perhaps not vocal enough, not showing enough leadership at the back. While i think Almunia has had a great season in terms of shot-stopping, there is no doubt that our defense in general has been poor.

You do often see Almunia shouting about in matches, it's probably something that will improve as time goes on.

I don't want Clichy to go, he obviously has the talent to succeed and do very well for Arsenal, people are too quick to write him off. Sagna's a great right back, wouldn't ever replace him. This season it's just been a case of poor form from the defence really, there's the rift between Toure and Gallas and although Wenger claims it's no problem, I'm not so sure. A big leader at the back would be superb and perhaps would help glue the defence and get them working together as a team. We need someone who inspires confidence, not a cause for concern.

This story has been flying around the Burnley boards as it'll be our first away game. Hope it's true. I was down for the cup tie last year. Will be surreal playing you lot in a league fixture, especially first away game up :thup:

Dunno if this has been posted before or not

ARSENAL ace Bacary Sagna admits he would be tempted by a move to Real Madrid.

According to reports in his native France, Real are weighing up a £20million bid for the 26-year-old right-back.

And Sagna, who joined the Gunners in July 2007, has refused to play down the rumours.

He said: "I am surprised by this news but I wouldn't turn my back on it.

"I fully intended to return to pre-season training with Arsenal but I'm going to see what happens."

link

Probably nonsense as most of these stories usually are, but there you go

Archived