Mémoires d'Afrique

-Xenon-

Abril e Maio 2013

With the title already secured, Santos just had to play out their remaining games. They had lost their last game against Primeiro de Maio and they came out with a strong team to play Primeiro de Agosto. Txebe, Geraldo and Olivier Tia Togbe were all on the score sheet as Santos wrapped up a comfortable 3-0 win.

Onze Bravos put up a typically stubborn performance in Santos' next game. The ran the new champions all over the park and matched them in every department, however Rui Lopes broke the stern resistance with a looping header in stoppage time to earn a 1-0 victory.

Benfica de Luanda were one of the teams to beat Santos this season, however they started very poorly. Rui Lopes bagged a brace, both times finishing off superb counter attacking moves. However Benfica would hit back in the second half, first from a header from Chinho and then from a spectacular free kick from Manucho Barros. However, Santos benefited from the luck of the champions. Fernando Feijó scoring from the spot in added time, Santos winning 3-2.

Santos benefited from Thierry scoring an own goal in their next match against CR Caala. They went on to take a commanding lead, with goals from Rui Lopes and Tia Togbe. Kemerson grabbed a consolation to make it 3-1, but Rui Lopes rounded off a convincing 4-1 win.

Kabuscorp had the audacity to take the lead through Mendes in the next match. However, Santos eventually ground out a win, with Rui Lopes equalising before Edgar Pereira thumped home a late header from a corner. Desportivo Huila were not quite so stubborn in their resistance, going down to a poor 3-0 defeat. Rui Lopes got yet more goals, grabbing two, before Fernando Feijó continued an impressive late run of form by scoring a magnificent swerving shot.

And Santos were finally able to lay their hands on the trophy when the recorded a routine 2-0 victory over 2nd placed GDR Libolo. Tia Togbe got the first goal, a magnificent powerful run and cool finish. Fernando Feijó wrapped it up in style, thrashing home after a slick passing move.

7.4.13 - Estádio dos Coqueiros, Luanda

Santos FC 3-0 Primeiro de Agosto

(Txebe, Geraldo, Tia Togbe)

13.4.13 - Estádio dos Coqueiros, Luanda

Santos FC 1-0 Onze Bravos

Rui Lopes

15.4.13 -Estádio dos Coqueiros, Luanda

Benfica de Luanda 2-3 Santos FC

(Rui Lopes x2, Feijó

20.4.13 -Estádio dos Coqueiros, Luanda

Santos FC 4-1 CR Caála

Thierry o.g., Rui Lopes x2, Tia Togbe

24.8.13 - Estádio dos Coqueiros, Luanda

Kabuscorp 1-2 Santos FC

(Rui Lopes, Pereira)

1.5.13 - Estádio dos Coqueiros, Luanda

Santos FC 3-0 Desportivo Huila

(Rui Lopes x2, Feijó)

18.5.13 -Estadio Patrice Lumumba, Calulo

GDR Libolo 0-2 Santos FC

(Feijó, Tia Togbe)

Angolan Girabola Summary 2012/2013

| Pos   | Inf   | Team                   |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | C     | Santos FC (ANG)        |       | 39    | 32    | 5     | 2     | 98    | 25    | +73   | 101   | 
| ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | GDR Libolo             |       | 39    | 22    | 6     | 11    | 61    | 42    | +19   | 72    | 
| 3rd   |       | Benfica de Luanda      |       | 39    | 20    | 9     | 10    | 66    | 50    | +16   | 69    | 
| 4th   |       | Petro Atlético         |       | 39    | 17    | 14    | 8     | 53    | 35    | +18   | 65    | 
| 5th   |       | Kabuscorp              |       | 39    | 17    | 11    | 11    | 63    | 50    | +13   | 62    | 
| 6th   |       | Primeiro de Maio (ANG) |       | 39    | 15    | 15    | 9     | 67    | 43    | +24   | 60    | 
| 7th   |       | Aviação                |       | 39    | 15    | 15    | 9     | 42    | 37    | +5    | 60    | 
| 8th   |       | Primeiro de Agosto     |       | 39    | 13    | 17    | 9     | 44    | 35    | +9    | 56    | 
| 9th   |       | Interclube             |       | 39    | 13    | 11    | 15    | 51    | 51    | 0     | 50    | 
| 10th  |       | Onze Bravos            |       | 39    | 8     | 13    | 18    | 34    | 58    | -24   | 37    | 
| 11th  |       | CR Caála               |       | 39    | 8     | 10    | 21    | 30    | 58    | -28   | 34    | 
| 12th  |       | Académica Lobito       |       | 39    | 6     | 11    | 22    | 29    | 70    | -41   | 29    | 
| 13th  |       | Académica Soyo         |       | 39    | 5     | 11    | 23    | 23    | 61    | -38   | 26    | 
| 14th  |       | Desportivo Huíla       |       | 39    | 3     | 10    | 26    | 18    | 64    | -46   | 19    | 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Farewell Africa!

The end of an era - Joe reflects on a decade passed

"Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to welcome you aboard this flight to London Heathrow from Luanda...."

Joe stared out of the aircraft window, getting the last glimpses through the wispy clouds of a continent that had been his home for the past 10 years. It took his mind away from his ever-present fear of flying. This time he was fairly certain it would be for good. Of course he would come back to visit, but he was sure that it would no longer be 'home' to him.

Leaving Santos had not been easy for him, he had the dream start to life at the club, delivering them the national title. However, he finally had to return to the life and the world that he had always intended to come back to. Arriving in Ghana aged just 18, his intention was to do charity work. 10 years later he found himself inextricably involved in football, a move he could never have seen coming. However, that was the way things had worked out for him.

Burkina Faso had been the one truly special place for him and he had seen it ripped apart by civil war. All at the hands of the man that had employed him. The man that had given him the scope to do so much good in the local community through football. He had made friends and lost some too. He had also met the person who he increasingly suspected was the love of his life, in Lucia, who upon hearing that Joe was coming back home, was eagerly waiting for him in London.

So would he come back?

Put it this way, it would have to be something rather special to tempt him......

One Year Later...

Islington, London

"I cannot believe you are doing this to me!"

"Lucia...wait..."

The neighbours were starting to take notice of the commotion in the street. The young couple that had moved in a little over a year ago, were having a blazing row. They had seemed so nice and happy, this was the first time they had seen them at odds with each other.

"I cannot believe you accepted this job without even talking to me about it!"

"I thought you would be happy!"

Joe was standing on the steps by the front door. Lucia was leaning out of the bedroom window, castigating him with typical Iberian ferocity, whilst packing a suitcase, definitely not hers. Joe put his hands on his hips and sighed, glancing at the twicthing curtains of the neighbours. He left Africa a year ago to pursue his coaching career back home. And it had gone very well, he had helped to oversee Arsenal's Under 18 squad win the national youth cup.

He always said that it would take something rather special to tempt him back to Africa. He didn't actually expect it to come so quickly. Arsenal had been contacted by the Burkinabe Football Association over Joe's availability to replace Portuguese manager Paulo Duarte, who had decided to call time on his spell with the Burkina Faso national team. The country was stable and recovering from the termoil that had beset it. It was just the one job he could not say no to.

"Well I'm not happy Jose, there is nothing for you there, nothing for us. You spent ten years there, you're so arrogant you think you are like some kind of saviour, like you going back is going to make some kind of difference!"

He was going, he knew he was. There was no turning back. He wanted Lucia to be happy for him, to come with him. But she was bloody minded just as bad as he was and he knew she would never do so. He begged one last time.

"Lucia?.......Darling?................Come with me?

Joe's suitcase came flying out of the bedroom window, hurtling towards him, no doubt very neatly packed despite her rage. He took evasive action and watched it thud on the driveway. The taxi he had ordered ambled up to the house. He took one last look at his girlfriend who was crying tears of anger, grabbed the handle of the suitcase and began the next chapter of his career.

Joe never believed much in fate, but he felt like he was doing exactly what he was meant to do. She would see that in the end.

Thanks for reading fellas

Joe Byrne called together the maximum amount of players for his first squad, so that he could get a good idea of who he wanted to be a part of the future of the Burkina Faso national team.

Burkina Faso

World Ranking - 74

Goalkeepers

Aboubacar Kiema - 21 - (19 caps) -Zamalek (EGY)

Talented young keeper who caught the attention of Zamalek with some good performances for RC Kadiogo. Has struggled to adapt to the Egyptian league, but has improved gradually. Undisputed number one keeper for Burkina Faso.

Seydou Nana - 20 - (Uncapped) -US Forces Armées

Decent young keeper who has really caught the eye in the opening stages of the Burkinabe national league. An agile and acrobatic keeper, he should be a solid deputy for Kiema.

Defenders

Ibrahim Gnanou - 27 - (30 caps, 2 goals) -Alania (RUS)

Nomadic, experienced and versatile. Gnanou an obvious choice for any Burkina Faso squad. Adept at both centre back and right back, he can also be pushed up in to midfield if needed. Vastly experienced after a strange career that has taken him to Moldova, Denmark and finally Russia since leaving ASFA Yennega aged just 17.

Bakary Koné - 26 - (30 caps) - En Avant de Guingamp (FRA)

A solid centre back that relies on brute strength, fantastic ability with headers and a crunching tackle. All this combining to make him one of the French second tier’s most consistent performer. A reliable and no nonsense defender.

Ibrahim Koné - 21 - (16 caps, 1 goal) -Botafogo (BRA)

Excellent man marker that won a league title under Joe Byrne at Etoile Filante, before he moved to Botafogo in Brazil on a free transfer, where he has since struggled. Prefers to play at centre back but can fill in at left back.

Adama Ouattara - 20 - (12 caps, 1 goal) -Racing Club (ARG)

Another of Joe Byrne’s Etoile Filante title winners. A strong centre back that is also very comfortable on the ball, he can dribble like a midfielder. A great prospect for Burkina Faso, he earned himself a £1.3m move to Racing Club in Argentina, where he has been a revelation.

Moussa Ouattara - 33 - (42 caps, 1 goal) -Kaiserslautern (GER)

Vastly experienced centre back, who combines sheer physical presence with great defensive technique. In the twilight of his career and as such lacks the yard of pace needed at this level, but valuable all the same.

Adama Soulama - 22 - (6 caps, 0 goals) -ASFA Yennega

Solid enough centre back who can also play at left back, providing much needed cover for a side that lacks a natural left back.

Brahima Kéré - 22 (Uncapped) - Botafogo (BRA)

Another player who has sought to progress his career in South America and one of two Burkinabe players at Botafogo. Solid at the back, a real ball playing central defender, who is also big and strong like most of his compatriots.

Madi Panandetiguiri - 31 - (50 caps, 2 goals) -Leiria (POR)

Versatile and experienced, he can play in either full back positions. If needed he can also put in a shift in the heart of both defence and midfield. Technically unspectacular, but his experience is unrivalled.

Midfielders

Mamadou Coulibaly - 21 - (13 caps, 1 goal) -Etoile Filante

Reigning African Young Player of the Year, Coulibaly is one of the great hopes of this young side. An incredibly gifted central midfielder, his vision and passing ability are just two of the attributes that make him such a highly thought of prospect. Brought to Etoile by Joe Byrne he has flourished in the national league.

Ibrahim Barry - 22 - (13 caps, 3 goals) -Etoile Filante

Dependable and solid defensive midfielder. Likes to sit and tidy things up but can also get forward and employ his rasping shot to great effect.

Charles Kaboré - 27 - (40 caps, 4 goals) -Olympique de Marseille (FRA)

The captain and anchoring midfielder. He has the best experience of top level football of anyone in the squad and is a no nonsense, imposing midfielder that bosses the heart of the midfield.

Aboubacar Konseiga - 22 - (4 caps, 1 goal) - Etoile Filante

All round midfielder with solid technical qualities. So valuable to the national team because he can play all across the middle four, great from set pieces too.

Souleymane Ouedraogo - 22 - (Uncapped) - Dnipro (UKR)

Never got an opportunity under Paulo Duarte, some would argue that he is Burkina Faso’s most talented player. A skilful winger who is a handful for any defence, he currently plies his trade in Ukraine with Dnipro after spells in Angola and Argentina.

Moussa Sanou - 22 - (Uncapped) -Petro Atlético (ANG)

Another player who was overlooked by Duarte, a lightning winger who perhaps plays second fiddle to Ouedrago in terms of technical quality, but a great player nonetheless. Recently moved to Angola from Etoile Filante.

Jonathan Pitroipa - 29 - (40 caps, 3 goals) - Etoile Filante

Blessed with great pace and crossing ability. His career in Germany fizzled out and he has returned home to find fitness and form. Some great performances for Etoile has seen him earn a recall to the national setup.

Alain Traoré - 27 - (43 caps, 11 goals) -AJ Auxerre(FRA)

One of the other more high profile players, a great left winger and playmaker. A critical component in the side but has work to do to fend off competition from the younger members of the squad.

Abdoulaye Diarra - 21 - (16 caps, 1 goal) -Etoile Filante

One of the jewels in Etoile’s academy, an attacking midfielder with great verve and creativity. A favourite of Duarte’s he has been involved in the national team for several years.

Strikers

Mamadou Tall - 23 - (Uncapped) - RC Lens (FRA)

Recently opted to represent the country of his parentage rather than France. The darling of RC Lens, a player that has come up from the ranks, scoring 30 goals last season to fire them back in to the top tier. A lethal finisher.

Ousmane Bamogo - 17 - (Uncapped) - BPFC

Breakthrough player in the Burkinabe league, he scored 18 goals in his first season. Tall, powerful and with an uncanny eye for goal.

Yssouf Koné - 33 - (38 caps, 26 goals)

Unattached

The nation’s all time leading goalscorer. After being released by CFR Cluj he has struggled to find a club and has announced that he will soon be retiring and going into coaching. Losing pace but still a great finisher.

Daouda Sanou - 18 - (Uncapped) -BPFC

Another young player that has caught the eye at BPFC this season. He has 7 in 7 for the Under 21 side.

Mo Sanogo - 21 - (6 caps, 2 goals) -Etoile Filante

Not favoured by Joe Byrne during his time at Etoile, however he has eventually flourished into becoming one of the best strikers in the league. Great composure and he loves the big matches.

Time will tell ;)

Third time lucky

Joe finally succeeds in tempting Kossivi back to football - But the man from Togo will have to divide his time

Joe was back in Togo, back to try and get Kossivi back into work. He got a taxi from the airport to Kossivi's home on the outskirts of the city, where he lived with two of his many sons and his implausibly young girlfriend. As the taxi driver pulled up outside the house, Joe noticed some commotion going on inside. Maybe he had come at a bad time.

Thankfully he hadn't arrived in the middle of a domestic, but of a move. Kossivi opened the door, grinning, the big man giving Joe a massive bear hug. This was the colourful character that Joe remembered, suddenly returned and if truth be told even more exuberant than before. At the foot of the stairs lay numerous bags.

"I guess I've caught you just as your leaving, somewhere nice I hope?"

"Well it's somewhere you know well, my friend."

Joe was never one for being kept in suspense, but Kossivi seemed intent on playing this one out for as long as he could.

"So come on then, London, New York, Paris? Which city is going to get the Ouro-Akpo treatment?"

"Ouagadougou, Etoile have asked me to come back and I accepted, I'm going back into football at last."

Joe was irked somewhat that he hadn't been aware of this, it was the kind of news the national team manager ought to have known. He was also worried that Kossivi would turn down the job offer he was about to make. However, having the manager of the country's best club would have potentially massive advantages.

"That's fantastic Kos, but I have to admit I have news of my own...

"I know, they gave you the national team job."

"I had no idea you...."

"Yeah well, nothing gets past me. So spit it out! Are you going to give me the assistant's job or what?"

He always was a know it all. Joe felt that words were no longer neccesary, he simply held out his hand for Kossivi to shake. The big boxer's bear claw almost succeeding in fracturing the Englishman's hand.

Both men knew that this represented more than a job, but both would never admit it to each other. It was a chance to go back and heal the wounds, a shot at redemption.

I have to say this, mate, this is completely brilliant. By far my favourite story on here.

Chester is dead right with what he says. I look forward to a few stories to read, this is definitely one of them Xen.

I'm going to adopt Ousmane Bamogo as my son :) thought I may as well get in on the bum-licking while it's in trend; this is a great story and I enjoy catching up with it every so often. It's good because I can leave it for a few weeks and come back and read a big chunk at a time because you update it regularly. I do hate people that don't have regular updates on their stories....;):p

Keep it up, Thief :)

By far my favourite story on here. I check for updates almost everyday, and they are always quality.

loving the direction of international football, and the re-uniting of two good friends!

Thanks a lot guys, it's nice to hear :)

Algiers, Algeria

Pre match nerves - Jail time for the dictator

Sat, alone in the away dressing room of the cavernous Stade 5 Juillet stadium in Algiers, Joe offered up a slient prayer. A difficult trip to play the Desert Foxes would be his first game in international football. Algeria were stern opposition, they had done very well in the recent World Cup in Brazil and they posed the main threat in a group consisting of Niger and Mauritius. The winner of the group earning themselves a place in the 2016 African Cup of Nations which was to be held in Nigeria.

Joe was nervous. This was a massive step up from club management in Africa, it was also a huge step up from being a humble youth coach, even if it was at one of Europe's biggest clubs. But why should he be nervous? There had been miraculously no injury problems within the sqaud, they all looked sharp and training had gone really well. He was settled on a starting eleven and was equally as settled in terms of formation and tactics. So, there was every reason to be confident rather than nervous, but Joe just couldn't seem to shake off the fact that the eyes of the world would be on him.

Kossivi poked his head round the door, Joe could hear the blasting noise of the home crowd a little clearer as his assistant held the door open. Kossivi found his boss slumped on a bench with a towel over his head.

"Ready to go?"

"Yeah, give me a second"

Joe got up from his seat and trudged over to the door. On his way there he threw a glance over to the small portable TV that had been given to the squad upon their arrival. It was on a 24 hour news station and Joe noticed some breaking news flashing across the screen:

Ibrahim Dagano sentenced to three years in prison

Just three years? Appears there wasn't much justice for people like him

6.9.2014 - Stade Olympique de 5 Juillet, Algiers

Algeria vs. Burkina Faso

African Nations Cup Qualifying Group F

With in excess of 66,000 people crammed in to the stadium, most of them almost militantly in support of the home side, this was by far the biggest game of Joe Byrne's career. The Desert Foxes would not be an easy prospect either, and they showed why they had such a positive World Cup experience early on with a few chances. However their cause was not helped early on when Nadir Belhadj got a nasty injury very early which would force him off. However it was not long before he came back on and was instrumental in providing Yahia with a chance to score, but his header went narrowly over.

Algeria continued to ratchet up the pressure and Lacen should have scored when he was played through on goal. Burkina Faso were hanging on and the tricky nature of some of Algeria's play caused some crunching challenges. Brahima Sanou and Souley Ouedraogo both found their names taken by the Cape Verdean referee. Burkina Faso managed to keep it goalless at half time.

However they managed to work themselves back into the game and on the hour mark, Mo Sanogo spurned an excellent opportunity to give them the lead, shooting straight at the keeper. After that the game fizzled out and became a gritty affair with yellows shown on both sides. In the end a 0-0 draw to forget.

Algeria: Della, Beloufa (Djebarat, 74), Yahia©, Ounnas, Bouazza, Belhadj (Bouzar, 74), Lacen, Yebda, Benzineb (Abdouni), Ghilas

Burkina Faso: Kiema, B. Sanou, Panandetiguiri, A. Ouattara, B. Koné, Kaboré©, Ouedraogo, Traoré, Diarra (Coulibaly, 62), Tall (Sanogo, 62), Y. Kone

Algeria 0-0 Burkina Faso

Togolese fists of fury

A visit to Joe's first employers - A blast from the past, literally - Joe takes a tumble - Kossivi lands a knockout blow

As part of Joe's duties as national team coach, he regularly visited the clubs playing in the Burkinabe Premier League, to see how they were progressing and cast an eye over their promising players. Today it was time to visit his former club, Etoile Filante. Now coached by Kossivi, it was the first time he had been back since the troubles began. He was disappointed to see it looking a little bit more run down than when he had left it. The vast funding had of course disappeared and these days, two local businessmen did their best to keep up with the costs of running the club.

He met the players, most of whom he had worked with before. He then took a training session with the Academy side. One youngster in particular caught his eye that afternoon. A 14 year olf midfield player named Davide Traore. He seemed to be blessed with a complete game, silky skills, a great array of passes, vision, pace. Joe was amazed that a boy of 14 could have such talent. He felt re-assured that the boy would be well looked after by Kossivi, not rushed. However, as he went to leave, he noticed that the boy seemed to be being harrassed by two men in suits in the training centre car park. One was wielding a mobile phone and a stack of paperwork. The other, a giant of a man stood silently and stared into the horizon.

The boy seemed to be looking around for help, anywhere he could find it. Joe was more than happy to oblige and he strode over to investigate. He approached the men, the smaller of the two removing his sunglasses, Joe shuddered with instant recognition. It was Serge N'Kono, Ibrahim's 'security advisor', that is to say his former lead henchman with a nasty case of Short Man's Syndrome.

"Mr. Byrne, what a pleasure it is to see you in Burkina Faso again"

"What are you doing here? I thought you would be in prison by now."

"Please! I was merely a messenger and we both know that it is frowned upon to shoot the messenger"

His monstrous sidekick remained ominously silent, moving only to re-arrange his gargantuan frame. Davide looked distressed, Joe would get to the bottom of this.

"What do you want with the boy?"

"Only to offer him an opportunity, I have a contract here that will make him a rich man in the future, that will take him to the pinnacle of his profession."

"So you have reinvented yourself as an agent now?"

"We have to adapt to changing circumstances, we lost our employer, remember Joe?"

Joe was losing patience, he wasn't going to stand by and let another child be led astray by these vultures. Especially from this guy, who he knew to be nothing more than a mercenary. He stepped forward, right into Serge's face, to make his point abundantly clear.

"You listen to me, I don't want to see you round here anymore, If I do, so help me God I wil......"

Joe was on the floor before he realised what had happened. Evidently the big man had finally snapped into action and landed a menacing right hook on Joe that had sent him spiralling on to the dusty ground like a rag doll. Through blurred vision and a ringing in his ears, he could make out the two men laughing at him. That was until another monster of a man reared into view, this one familiar. A torrent of flailing arms and legs and pretty soon the two men had joined Joe on the floor. Davide ran back to the clubhouse, while Joe's rescuer dragged him to his feet and helped him back to the facility.

The next thing Joe felt was a cold flannel thrust on to his temple. The figure of Kossivi, suddenly emerged through his clearing vision. He looked concerned but also looked to be concealing some amusement.

"He got you pretty good, you see, this is the advantage of having a former African heavyweight boxing champion as your best pal!"

Joe was sure he would appreciate that benefit, as soon as his head stopped feeling as though it had been cleft in two by an axe.

11.10.14 - Stade Municipal, Ouagadougou

Burkina Faso vs. Mauritius

Burkina Faso had scrapped for a well earned draw away in Algeria for Joe Byrne's first match in charge. Now they faced a much easier evening's play as they welcomed minnows Mauritius. Young African Player of the Year, Mamadou Coulibaly came in for Abdoulaye Diarra in the only change from the Algeria match. The home crowd were expectant given the difference in class between the two sides.

But Mauritius were determined to uphold the honour of their small nation and they came out battling away. However they couldn't keep Burkina Faso out for long as Yssouf Koné played a neat little ball for Alain Traoré, who cutely took the ball around the flailing keeper and poked it home for 1-0. Burkina Faso looked to build on that lead, but Mauritius stuck ten men behind the ball and began to frustrate the home side. Yssouf Koné had a couple of great chances to extend the lead, but the score remained 1-0 at half time.

More frustration in the second half as Burkina Faso lost their cool and picked up a few bookings. Mamadou Tall had had a quiet debut against Algeria and was yet to shine in this match. However, on the hour mark he stepped up to curl a delightful free kick into the top left hand corner of the net, 2-0 to Burkina Faso. There were many more chances but Mauritius managed to stifle them, doing themselves a great credit despite going down 2-0. Burkinabe fans will certainly be hoping for a more ruthless streak against Niger.

Burkina Faso: Kiema, B. Sanou, Panandetiguiri, A. Ouattara, B. Koné, Kaboré© (Barry, 65), Ouedraogo (M. Sanou, 65), Traoré, Coulibaly, Tall, Y. Kone (Sanogo, 65)

Mauritius: Khalfan, Ali, Tamitu, Ndlovu, Abdulkadir©, Obiero (Ncube, 18), Phiri (F. Omar, 45), Nduwimana, Oluoch, J. Omar, Onyango (Harerimana, 45)

Burkina Faso 2-0 Mauritius

Stateside

"As far as I was concerned they never had a chance, I knew they could win the game, but to overturn a 2-0 deficit against a team that had coasted to three African Champions League titles in a row, I just could not see it."

"It was their first real major final, I felt for the lads because these things are not easy. But, I knew that Kossivi would have their minds focused. I've never seen that stadium so full, I think there were 40,000 people there and when Mo Sanogo put the first goal in, it sent shivers down the spine when the crowd sensed this could be on."

"I remember in the second half they started to lose their way and got a bit impatient, I thought they may have blown their chance and that ASEC would close the game out. I should have known that with players like Coulibaly in the team, anything could happen. I've seen him lash in those long shots so many times and wasn't surprised too see him do it again. At 2-0, I then knew they would go on and win it, Daouda Kone's goal will live long in the memory. It wasn't the prettiest goal ever, but it made the team I had invested so much time in African Champions.

"I felt proud even though, I'd been a humble spectator. I hadn't even thought about the prospect of the World Club Championship which was to be held in the USA. When Kossivi asked me to tag along and do some coaching with the team, I couldn't refuse, 'technical consultant' would be my official role."

"And as for the first game against New York, well I was dumbstruck once again."

17.12.14 - The Rose Bowl, Pasadena (CA)

New York vs. Etoile Filante

Club World Championship Quarter Final

Even with New York forced to uproot to the west coast for this match, few would have put money on this result. Full of confidence from their victory in the African Champions League, Etoile Filante went out to show that African clubs can be a force in world football. New York were left stunned as they found themselves 2-0 down inside ten minutes. Brown Ideye bagging himself a brace, getting on the end of two lightning counter attacking moves. New York started to wake up but just couldn not deal with the pace and strength of Etoile. Jonathan Pitroipa and Mo Sanogo made it 4-0 at half time, much to the disgust of the American fans.

In the second half, New York truly gave up. Boubacar Tall strolled in a fifth, Issouf Ouattara nonchalantly ghosted in to power home a free header for their sixth. A remarkable afternoon in California was wrapped up by Abdoulaye Diarra, who struck a thunderous shot on the turn to make the final score 7-0 and set up a semi final meeting with Brazilian club Palmeiras.

New York 0-7 Etoile Filante

Despite this being one of the first stories I look for when opening the forum I have noticed I have never commented on it, for which I apologise

A great story and will be keenly looking forward to the next installment

Thanks Mark :thup:

Sunset Boulevard, Los Angeles

Joe soaks up the Californian sun and imagines life in the States - Thoughts turn to a meeting with the green clad Brazilians

Joe could get used to this. That was for sure. With aviator shades firmly in position and the top of his rental car equally in the correct position. He glided down the famous LA street and felt the warmth of the breeze on his face. He looked like a bit of an outcast driving along in shirt and shades. It was winter and Christmas was just around the corner, most of the locals had been moaning about the cold weather, yet of course Joe was an Englishman and this was weather most definitely falling under the 'warm' bracket.

While Kossivi took a training session in their base in Pasadena, Joe travelled down to the famous city of Los Angeles. Despite finding a city of immensely extreme paralells of wealth and with inhabitants rather disconcertingly all the same height with the same gleaming rows of perfect teeth, he couldn't help but imagine how much he would enjoy life here. Who knows? Maybe an opportunity in the ever improving MLS could be a possibility, he thought. Perhaps so, after all he had just seen his beloved Etoile embarrass the mighty New York.

But what about the impending semi final against Palmeiras, the South American champions. An entirely different proposition and Joe feared it could be the end of the adventure, but it might lead to an interesting battle foir third with the Koreans, Suwon. When pressed for advice, he could think of only a one sentence pep talk.

"Just be yourselves lads."

20.12.14 - The Rose Bowl, Pasadena (CA)

Etoile Filante vs. Palmeiras

Club World Championship Semi Final

Many would have expected this to be the end of the line for the Africans, so few would have been surprised to see Palmeiras come out and dominate the early phases. The pressure told and Diego Souza scored a goal few would better all year. Smashing the ball home on the volley, after the Burkinabe side failed to close him down. A stunning goal to give the Brazilians the lead.

Etoile desperately tried to claw their way back but it was all Palmeiras and that continued into the second half. However, with just twenty minutes left and the score still 1-0, Ricardinho picked up a second yellow card and gave Etoile a man over. Etoile took the initiative and Boubacar Tall lashed home a ball that had been cut across from the left to make it 1-1. No extra time, just penalties.

And it was an exhibition in penalty taking, both teams comfortably slotting home seven penalties each. Brown Ideye scored Etoile eight, before Colombian Pablo Armero failed to even hit the target with his, sealing a penalty win and massive upset for the Africans.

Etoile Filante 1-1 Palmeiras (Etoile Filante win 8-7 on penalties)

Very nice. I really like the story/game ratio you have here--hadn't thought of doing it this way, and it is a really interesting contrast to something like The Rat Pack, which goes through every game while having the narrative intertwine. Food for thought. Well done!

Thanks a lot 10-3 and thanks Makonnen, couple of reasons for the way I write it, mainly so it caters for people who just want to read about the football and partly so I can keep a firm idea of where I am seeing as I write in a fairly off the cuff way.

Heartbreak from eleven metres

120 minutes had been and gone and the 100,000 people crammed into the Rose Bowl would have been disappointed to see not a single goal in the game. Etoile had done things exactly to plan, they had defended for their lives in the entire game and had managed to shut Liverpool out. But now they faced the lottery of the shoot-out and the players had little more to give. Kossivi led the team talk, while Joe watched on in the background.

"Well done lads, this is what we planned. Just focus. The hard work is done, we just need to remember what we did in the last game."

"Whatever happens, I am proud of every last one of you and so is the rest of Africa."

23.12.14 - The Rose Bowl, Pasadena (CA)

Etoile Filante vs. Liverpool

Club World Championship Final

A record crowd for the competition were hoping to see a romantic conclusion to the cup, with the Africans hoping to surprise their far more illustrious opponents. However, of course Liverpool dominated from the word go. The Etoile defence simply could not live with Fernando Torres and they must of thought fate was on their side when a succession of offside flags and woodwork rebounds prevented the Spaniard from opening the scoring.

The second half was much the same with Royston Drenthe making himself a real menace down the left. Etoile were clinging on with all they had and managed to see it through until extra time. Both teams were exhausted and Liverpool finally slowed their previously unrelenting pace. Marek Hamsik should have won the game but his fantastic shot clipped the post late on, meaning it would be penalties for the Africans.

The Burkinabe fans in the stadium were sensing something massive when Mamadou Coulibaly put them 3-2 ahead after Tim Ewing missed for Liverpool. However, Brahima Sanou missed their next spotkick, while Glen Johnson levelled the score. Daniel Agger scored meaning Mo Sanogo had to score to keep them in it. Sadly Pepe Reina saved the kick and the dream was over for Etoile Filante. However, they won a lot of friends on their American visit.

Etoile Filante 0-0 Liverpool (Liverpool win 4-3 on penalties)

They certainly did

The orphan on the roadside

Joe liked to base himself at Etoile's training ground, purely because they had the best facilities in the country, not to mention the best players. He had been there preparing for the upcoming game against Niger and was bored from watching countless tapes of their opponents all day. With his day's work completed, Joe trudged to his car and looked forward to relaxing at home. He pulled out of the training complex and set out on the main road leading back into Ouagadougou. Not long after he had set out, he noticed a child huddled at the side of the road, his head in his hands. Joe thought he recongnised the boy but couldn't be sure, he stopped the car nevertheless.

He walked over to the boy and as he got closer he recognised that it was Davide Traore, the talented boy at the Etoile academy, the one over whom Joe had received a thump to the head. He was motionless, head buried in his arms. Joe walked over, stooped and put a tentative hand on the boy's shoulder.

"Davide? Are you okay?"

Joe noticed that the boy was quivering with convulsions, just from putting his hand on Davide's shoulder he could feel him shaking with emotion. He was also faintly crying, Joe didn't want to know how long he had been here sat like this. Finally, Davide lifted his head and spoke with his voice cracked from exhaustion and crying.

"I don't know where they are."

"Where who are? What's happened?"

"The agent man came back again. He said that if I did not sign the papers he gave me then he would take away my mother and my sister. I came to training to get away from him, but when I came back they had gone and I don't know where he has taken them. My father was killed when I was a small child, now I have no-one."

It was a horrifying story, that was for sure. Joe knew that N'Kono was capable of this kind of thing and that the young boy's family could now be anywhere in Africa. What could Joe do, call him in and get the boy to sign the papers? But then, that wouldn't solve the problem. It would just mean another young lad ould get exploited. No, this had to be finished now. Joe wasn't sure how he would go about accomplishing it, but first things first, he had to put a roof over the boy's head. That and a hot meal and shower. Davide was still inconsolabale but Joe managed to calm him down.

"Davide, I promise I am going to do everything I can to get your family back."

The boy nodded, but was too devastated to process what Joe was saying.

"In the meantime you need somewhere to stay, so hop in the car, we'll get you sorted."

Joe helped the boy into the car, his emotion had made him frail. Joe felt a slight panic, he didn't know exactly what he would do. Then again, there was one man who would be able to help him........

22.3.15 - Stade du Général Seyni Kountché, Niamey

Niger vs. Burkina Faso

The match against Mauritius had dampened Burkinabe spirits after the positives drawn from the opener against Algeria. The fans were expecting a far more assured performance away to Niger. However, Joe Byrne of all people would know what a dangerous prospect they would be. With former Etoile Filante player Souleymane Sakou captaining the side it would not be easy.

And the home side looked to have the better of the play in the opening exchanges. That was until Ibrahim Barry slipped a ball through for Mamadou Tall who rode the defender's challenge, found himself through on goal and drove the ball low past the keeper for 1-0. Burkina Faso looked to crank up the pressure after the opening goal. Souleymane Ouedraogo was causing havoc down the wings and Niger were struggling to deal with the rejuvenated visitors.

In the second half, Burkina Faso' hopes were dented when Ibrahim Gnanou was sent off for a reckless challenge. They kept up the pressure but struggled to make in roads with ten men. In the end they hung on for a valuable victory that sent them top of the group ahead of Algeria who had drawn against Niger previously. Souleymane Sakou sent a shot rattling against the bar in stoppage time, but it ended 1-0.

Niger: Ouwo, Tavares, Suleiman, Faye (Touré, 45), Fall (Mendy, 51), Johnson (Konaté, 45), Camara, Sakou, Yaou Illa©, Seidou, Maazou

Burkina Faso: Kiema, Gnanou, I. Koné, Ouattara, B. Koné, Kaboré©, Ouedraogo (Pitroipa, 65), Traoré (Sanou, 65), Barry, Tall, Y. Koné (Panandetiguiri, 53)

Niger 0-1 Burkina Faso

Information is power

Joe could scarcely believe that he was in this place once again, walking the colourless and depressing hallways of the prison facility in Den Haag. He approached the visitor's area, the man he came to visit sat alone in a long row of booths, seperated by perspex glass and receivers with which to communicate. It seemed strange such a large space occupied by just one man. Joe guessed that visitors wre not commonplace in this place. Nevertheless, no private room this time, no cigars and drinks for Ibrahim, he would just have to slum it.

Joe seated himself opposite Ibrahim and reached for the reciever, Ibrahim looked happy to see Joe. You could see that from his facial expression and it made Joe's skin crawl.

"Joseph, what a pleasure....."

"Please......spare me the pleasantries. I'm going to make this brief."

"As you wish."

"Young boy at the club, his mother and sister were kidnapped last week as part of an agency trying to blackmail the boy into signing agency papers. The thing is, the man responsible is a man we both know very well. N'Kono."

"And you come here to tell me this and not call the police?"

The irony hit Joe like a haymaker, he hung his head low and let the receiver drop limply to the table. He regained his composure swiftly enough, but it was a lapse long enough for Ibrahim to derive some pleasure from it.

"You know what? That's rich coming from you. Look, I can't find head nor tail of him Burkina Faso, I'm sure he has left the country."

"And?"

"And he was your lap dog at one point so you are going to tell me where he is, so that I can track down where he has taken the boy's family"

"I don't know where he is. In case you have forgotten I'm locked in this place 24 hours a day."

Joe was starting to lose patience, Ibrahim was stalling just for the enjoyment of it. You could hate him all you wanted but you knew he had his finger on the pulse of most things. He knew, he just wanted to see how far Joe would beg for it.

"All I need is the name of a country, I'll do the rest of it myself, but I can't trawl across Africa watching this boy become an orphan."

"What do I get?"

"Some conscience back, if you ever had any? This boy's father was killed during your little stunt. Jesus Christ, don't let the rest of his family get the same all because you did nothing."

Joe saw flashes of regret that were reminscent of the ones that had surprised him so much the last time these two met. Ibrahim rocked back and forward and wrung his hands together. Joe had him on the back foot, the game was over, time to relinquish.

"Where is he Ibrahim?"

"Guinea"

"Then I'm going to Guinea."

3.6.15 - Stade George V, Curepipe

Mauritius vs. Burkina Faso

African Nations Cup Qualifying group F

Burkina Faso would hope to consolidate their position at the top of the group in this game, however Mauritius had not proved as easy as expected in their first game against the minnows. And as to be expected Burkina Faso dominated from the word go. But they once again found Mauritius stubborn and difficult to break down. They threatened for long periods until winger Moussa Sanou found some space, opened his body up and curled the ball around the diving keeper to send Burkina Faso 1-0 up into the break. His first goal for his country.

Much the same in the second half and youngster Ousmane Bamogo was causing havoc in the Mauritius defence. The islanders held out until just beyond the hour mark, until Abdoulaye Diarra played a through ball in for Mamadou Tall, who made no mistake, doubling the lead with a calm sidefoot finish. Diarra would get on the scoresheet late on himself, jinking inside an oncoming challenge and curling the ball delightfully home with a shot from 25 yards. A comfortable win for Joe Byrne's men.

Mauritius: Maina, Ali©, Tamitu (Chalwe, 45), I. Omar (Sibanda, 45), Ndlovu, Pelembe (Nduwimana, 45), Ncube, Harerimana, Oluoch, F Omar, J. Omar

Burkina Faso: Kiema, B. Sanou, Ouattara, B. Koné, Kaboré©, M. Sanou, Traoré (Konseiga, 67), Barry (Diarra, 67), Tall, Bamogo (Y Koné, 67)

Mauritius 0-3 Burkina Faso

Conakry, Guinea

Serge N'Kono sat and read his paper, drank his coffee and felt re-assured in himself. Now he was the boss, he made the rules, not anyone else. He had retreated to his base of operations in Conakry, after causing a great deal of mischief in Burkina Faso. Now it was time to move on, he fancied Togo but there were so many choices. That was the beautiful thing about Africa, he thought, there was always a multitude of kids playing football in their bare feet, who would sign anything if you made them think they could turn professional. Then they would be his, where he could sell that contract to anyone who desired it. These would be footballers would become drug carriers, child soldiers and other unspeakbale things.

N'Kono tried not to think about it, just the huge profits that it yielded. It was nearing midday and his personal guards were looking tired in the midday sun, he gave them the afternoon off. He wouldn't need them here after all, no-one he considered to be amongst his enemies would know where he was. It amused him, his own genius. And he reflected on it further as he went out the back of his building to relieve himself. He started to cross the small courtyard that lay between his headquarters and the toilets. Halfway into his journey he received a fright.

Something or someone had grabbed him and forced him up against the wall, grabbing a tuft of his hair and ramming his head against the brick wall causing him to cry out. He cursed his foolishness for dismissing his bodyguards for the afternoon. This apparant demon who had attacked him started asking questions.

"Where are they? Serge? Where are they?"

He allowed himself to focus on his attacker and recognised the face and voice instantly. He began to laugh, Joe repeated himself, not releasing his grip on N'Kono who he still had pinned against the wall.

"Where are they? The boy's family, what have you done with them"

"God knows where they are, Mr. Byrne. What use were they to me?"

"You took them, so you know where they are, now tell me!"

"Yes I took them, to send a message that I am not a man to be refused. The boy did not sign so I showed him and all the others what I'm capable of."

"Is this what it's all about? Because if it is, he'll sign the papers just bring back his mother and sister, they are all he has."

N'Kono chuckled, it was touching, all this, it really was.

"You don't get it do you, I don't know where they are, I left them in a refugee camp in Mauritania on my way to Guinea. You know what these places are like, they could be anywhere in Africa by now."

Joe let his grip on N'Kono release, he was right, they could be anywhere in Africa, Joe would not have a hope in hell of finding them now. How on earth would he tell Davide, after he had promised to bring them back? N'Kono wriggled free of Joe and straightened his suit and tie.

"It's just business Joe."

One of his guards had forgotten his wallet and came through the back entrance to find a stranger with a harrassed looking N'Kono. He drew his pistol and pointed it at Joe, who limply raised his arms. N'Kono raised his, in order for the guard to lower his weapon, which he did.

"I think it is time for you to go home Joe, you are creating trouble for yourself.....again of course."

Thanks chesterfan

5.9.15 - Stade du 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Burkina Faso vs. Niger

Burkina Faso took to the field for the penultimate game of qualifying and would have taken heart from the fact that both games would be at home. Joe Byrne handed another start to 17 year old Ousmane Bamogo and the youngster certainly repayed the faith in his manager. Just three minutes had passed by on the clock when the ball fell to Bamogo in the box and he duly lashed the ball home to give Burkina Faso a 1-0 lead. Ten minutes later he pounced on a rebound, shifted the ball past the onrushing Antwi and fired in a half volley to make it 2-0. Burkina Faso sat on their lead and were happy to take a two goal lead into half time.

Burkina Faso took the game at a leisurely pace in the second half and they kept from possesion from Niger very well. Jonathan Pitoipa wrapped up the win late on when he ghosted in behind from the right flank and struck a great sidefoot shot to beat the Niger keeper and make it 3-0. However Niger were not going to go down without a fight and Idrissa Seidou lashed in the goal of the match in stoppage time from 30 yards. However, a comfortable 3-1 win for Burkina Faso.

Burkina Faso: Kiema, I. Ouattara (M. Ouattara, 83), A. Ouattara, S. Koné, B. Koné, Kaboré©, Ouedraogo (Pitroipa, 83), Traoré, Barry (Diarra, 83), Y. Koné, Bamogo

Niger: Festus, Antwi, Suleiman, Pedomey (Diakité, 45), Ademola, Nwankwo (Kaba, 56), Bagayoko, Sakou, Yaou Illa©, Seidou, N'Diaye

Burkina Faso 3-1 Niger

• 3 weeks later...

10.10.15 - Stade du 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Burkina Faso vs. Algeria

African Nations Qualifying Group F

With Burkina Faso only needing a point to qualify for the African Nations Cup in the new year in Nigeria, the home fans would be confident yet a little wary against an Algeria side that one could argue was stronger on paper. That argument was given strength as both Nadir Belhadj and Sofiane Feghouli both caused havoc early on, on the right and left flanks respectively. It was Feghouli who teed up Yebda, but the midfielder could not find the target with his shot. Then against the run of play, the ball fell to Mamadou Tall in the box and he lashed his right foot at the ball, unleashing a low volley that had the Algerian keeper diving in vain. 1-0 but the hosts maybe had not deserved it.

Algeria went on the offensive in the second half and Bensalem almost scored a wonderful goal, dribbling past two defenders but not finding a way past Kiema. Tall was on hand to punish once again, driving at the heart of the Algerian defence and smashing a low shot to give his country a 2-0 lead. That took the fight out of the Algerians and Burkina Faso dominated the rest of the match. Eventually they scored a third, Daouda Sanou breaking away, beating the last defender and scoring with a finessed shot. Burkina Faso had qualified for the African Nations Cup, but more impressive was the style with which they had done so.

Burkina Faso: Kiema, I. Ouattara, Kéré, S. Koné, B. Koné, Barry, Ouedraogo (Pitroipa, 67), Traoré©, Coulibaly (Diarra, 67), Tall, Bamogo (D Sanou, 67)

Algeria: Madani, Bouabellou (Bacha, 57), Boudebouz (Tahraoui, 57), Ounnas, Bougherra©, Ziani, Belhadj, Feghouli, Yebda, Ghilas, Bensalem (Bouazza, 68)

Burkina Faso 3-0 Algeria

| Pos   | Inf   | Team         |       | Pld   | Won   | Drn   | Lst   | For   | Ag    | G.D.  | Pts   | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 1st   | Q     | Burkina Faso |       | 6     | 5     | 1     | 0     | 12    | 1     | +11   | 16    | 
| -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| 
| 2nd   |       | Algeria      |       | 6     | 3     | 2     | 1     | 10    | 4     | +6    | 11    | 
| 3rd   |       | Niger        |       | 6     | 2     | 1     | 3     | 7     | 6     | +1    | 7     | 
| 4th   |       | Mauritius    |       | 6     | 0     | 0     | 6     | 0     | 18    | -18   | 0     | 

African Nations Cup 2016 - Nigeria

Group A

Ghana

Nigeria

Burkina Faso

Guinea

Group B

Angola

Cameroon

Mali

Tunisia

Group C

Gabon

Kenya

Namibia

Morocco

Group D

Ivory Coast

Senegal

South Africa

Togo

If only you could have heard my reaction to that draw! Horrendous to say the least, thanks for reading fellas

The road to Abuja

"So there was no sign of them?"

Joe shook his head, grimacing as the cheap, machine made coffee assaulted his taste buds.

"I mean I've contacted some people that might be able to help and they've been looking, but how do you hope find two displaced people that could be anywhere on the continent?"

Kossivi sighed, even after everything that had happened in the last few years, this was disturbing on yet a new level.

"Difficult to know what to say in these situations."

"I guess so. I tried, really I did but this is getting to a level where it's dangerous, N'Kono is completely out of control and what the hell am I supposed to do about him?"

"What about the boy?"

"Well he is staying with me. Not a lot else I can do, I don't have the heart to turn him over to some care authority or something, I don't even know if such a thing exists here. I mean, I'm not cut out to look after a teenager am I? I take him to school, I take him to training but I literally don't know what to do. He has lost everything and I can't figure out how to at least make things a little better for him."

Davide had been staying with Joe for the past month. Joe had remembered such an outgoing boy that was the star of Etoile's young academy side. It was devastating to see him so changed by something so horrific. He was almost emotionless, Joe had expected fits of tears but he just wore a blank expression. He wasn't very talkative, he kept his head down at school and at training. Despite rarely acknowledging Joe, he couldn't bear to be on his own and if he wasn't at school or playing football, he insisted on tagging along with Joe everywhere he went. Joe had made preperations for him to come along to Nigeria with the national team coaches and players.

"You know what, let's get back to business. I need something to take my mind off this."

"Well we do have one rather pressing issue."

"Which is?"

"CAF want a final squad for the Nations Cup."

Joe rustled some papers, he had left it until the last minute, wanting to make sure he had got it right.

"Give them this"

Burkina Faso 2016 African Cup of Nations Final Squad

Kiema, Aboubacar - Zamalek

Traoré, Jacob - Etoile Filante

Zongo, Moussa - RC Bobo

Ouattara, Idrissa - RC Bobo

Gnanou, Ibrahim - Alania

Koné, Ibrahim - Botafogo

Kaboré, Moussa - RC Kadiogo

Koné, Seydou - US Comoé

Koné, Bakary - En Avant Guingamp

Kéré, Brahima - Botafogo

Ouattara, Adama - Udinese

Barry, Ibrahim - Etoile Filante

Kaboré, Charles - OM

Sanou, Moussa - Petro Atlético

Ouedraogo, Souleymane - Dnipro

Cissé, Mamdou - ASFA Yennega

Coulibaly, Mamdou - Etoile Filante

Traoré, Alain - Auxerre

Diarra, Abdoulaye - Etoile Filante

Tall, Mamadou - RC Lens

Sanogo, Mo - Etoile Filante

Sanou, Daouda - BPFC

Bamogo, Ousmane - US Ouagadougou

African Nations Cup Group A Round-up

Joe Byrne and his team touched down in Nigeria, the first international tournament under the Englishman's reign. And it was the uncomfortable knowledge that if they had any ambitions of progression, they would almost certainly need a result in their first game against Guinea, who were arguably the weakest team in the group. But the Guineans clearly hadn't read the script when they stormed into an early lead. Alhassane Keita firing home on 6 minutes to silence the travelling Burkinabe fans. It rattled Burkina Faso and just when they appeared to regain their composure they conceded a penalty late in the first half. Ismael Bangoura converted to put Guinea 2-0 up at half time and seemingly put a massive dent in the hopes of the Burkina Faso team. Burkina Faso struggled to find a way back into the match and late on it looked as if they were heading for a defeat. However, Mamadou Tall pulled a goal back with around ten minutes to go. It looked as though the equaliser would never come but the never say die attitude was rewarded when Adama Ouattara thumped home a header from a corner to salvage a point and spare some blushes.

With just a point, Burkina Faso needed a positive performance against Ghana. However the pre tournament favourites were in no mood to indulge them. Ghana dominated from start to finish, Burkina Faso could just not get close to them. Goals either side of half time from Kotoko winger Lawrence Asamoah were sufficient for Ghana to brush aside Joe Byrne's men and leave their Cup of nations campaign in tatters.

However there was a glimmer of hope as a win for Burkina Faso could give them a place in the Quarter Final. The pace of Chinedu Obasi served to destroy those hopes early on as he sprang clear and finished with aplomb. However just before the break Mamadou Tall lashed a shot from outside the area that swerved into the back of the net, sending the teams in at the break deadlocked at 1-1. The hosts were dominating though and Victor Obinna restored their lead on the hour mark. Remarkably the Burkinabes fought back yet again when Gnanou prodded home a loose ball in the area to make it 2-2. The comeback sadly could not be completed and Nigeria held on the point that would see them through. Thoughts now must turn to the qualification for the World Cup.

18.1.16 - Ahmadu Bello Stadium, Kaduna

Burkina Faso 2-2 Guinea

(Tall, Ouattara)

21.1.16 - Abuja Stadium, Abuja

Burkina Faso 0-2 Ghana

24.1.16 - Abuja Stadium, Abuja

Nigeria 2-2 Burkina Faso

(Tall, Gnanou)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for reading fellas

Night of the Long Knives

Freetown, Sierra Leone - The night of reckoning for one Serge N'Kono

N'Kono leant on the railings of the balcony in the place where he was holed up, taking in the balmy evening air in the capital of Sierra Leone. The sun had just set but the shanty towns were just coming alive. He loved the hustle and bustle, it didn't matter what city he was in, he felt the constant volume of people somewhat comforting. Lighting a cigarette and puring himself a generous serving of Bourbon, he looked out over the houses and marketplaces, each sip of the sour mash equating to a few weeks wages for the locals.

Business was on the up and up. Long gone were the days of being a glorified security guard for a man that was relic from a bygone age. He learnt a lot from his former master, but he also learnt from him not to let emotion cloud his judgement. It wasn't about a cause for Serge. The quickest root to wealth and the power that comes with it was his goal. It didn't matter what line of business it was, what its ethical stance was, if it banked the cash then it was a viable option.

That was enough fresh air for Serge, he turned, put his cigarette out and walked back inside. He wanted to inspect his latest investment. He reached into his inner jacket pocket and fished out a small black pouch, he emptied the contents into his palm. It was a dirty looking rough pebble like object, a dull pink-ish glow to it. It didn't look much but this would be the ticket to retirement he needed. The unprocessed diamond would earn him millions of dollars. Serge was not picky about what he got involved in, but even he was uneasy at speculating just how much pain and suffering this little pebble had caused. He placed it in a heavy looking safe and upon shutting the door and setting the lock, heard the downstairs door swing open. It must be one of his bodyguards he thought. He headed downstairs, he needed them to organise a flight to London, so that he could meet a buyer.

"Where have you been, I need to you to call..."

"I'm sorry to intrude Mr. N'Kono."

The bodyguards were not there, not a single one, in their place stood two men. The speaker, was a white man with a South African accent. The other, muscle, put plainly. Where were the guys, thought Serge desperately. He glanced sideways nervously as the two men approached. The gun in his ankle holster would be too far to reach in time. The smile being worn by the South African as he approached seemed genuine. He outstretched his hand which Serge cautiously took.

"I've been waiting a long time to meet you!"

As he shook his hand, he suddenly grasped the back of Serge's head powerfully holding him there. The other man ghosted in close and Serge felt two short and sharp punches to his midriff. The man let go and Serge staggered back, dumping himself at the foot of the stairs. He looked down and saw blood pumping out of his shirt and on to the floor, forming a growing puddle of crimson. The white man's demeanour hadn't changed, he still appeared happy as a lark.

"That is some wound, eh? Here, you might want to do this, may give you a few more minutes, eh?"

He took N'Kono's hand and pressed it vigourously against the wound. The other man was disposing of the blade in a small plastic bag, that would not doubt find itself in Freetown Harbour. The white man noticed he had blood on his fingers. Serge was losing consciousness, the South African leant over and brushed the stained fingers on Serge's cheek, leaving two lines smeared down his face. He looked at him with something approaching pity, then tapped him twice on the cheek before his parting statement.

"Mr. Dagano sends his kind regards."

• 2 weeks later...

28.5.16 - Stade Leopold Sedar Senghor, Dakar

Senegal vs. Burkina Faso

African World Cup Qualification Second Round, Group 11

The first game of World Cup qualification was a sell out in the Senegalese capital as Burkina Faso travelled to face the toughest fixture of the group, away to the impressive Senegal. After a disappointing albeit stoic display in Nigeria in the new year, Joe Byrne's men needed a confidence boost to boost their hopes of making their first ever World Cup in Spain in two years time.

However this Senegal side were a daunting prospect and early on, experienced Wigan forward Demba Ba tested Kiema in the Burkinabe goal. There was further cause for concern for Byrne when captain Charles Kabore appeared to pick up a knock, fortunately he was able to shake it off. The Burkinabe defence were going to great lengths to keep Fiorentina striker Khouma Babacar under wraps. However, this just left greater freedom for Demba Ba, and he had several good opportunities to put the home side in front. Souley Ouedraogo had Burkina Faso's only chance of the first half with a rasping shot. However at half time the score remained level.

Senegal were expected to crank up the pressure in the second half, but in fact they were forced to contain their visitors. Ouedraogo was causing havoc in his new position of inside forward, however the service to Mamadou Tall was lacking and perhaps with some more cohesive build up to the explosive forward, Burkina Faso might have reaped the benefits of their prolonged possession. In the end they settled for holding out for a massively important point at a very difficult place to come and get results. It should be a point that holds them in good stead.

Senegal: N'Diaye, Biaye (Diallo, 66),N'Daw©, Gueye, Diakhité, N'Doye, Ba (Diarra, 76), Diop, Mangane, Biram Diouf (Fall, 72), Babacar

Burkina Faso: Kiema, I. Ouattara, B. Koné, A. Ouattara, S. Koné (M. Kaboré, 71), C. Kaboré©, Barry, Coulibaly, Ouedraogo, Traoré (Sanou, 68), Tall (Bamogo, 68)

Senegal 0-0 Burkina Faso

4.6.16 - Stade du 4 Août, Ouagadougou

Burkina Faso vs. São Tomé & Principe

African World Cup Qualification Second Round, Group 11

After a solid point away from home in Senegal, a comfortable win was the minimum requirement in this next match against minnows São Tomé & Principe. Joe Byrne made just the one change to the side that had earned that point, Moussa Sanou coming in at left wing to replace the injured Alain Traoré.

It was one way traffic right from the start on this fine summer evening. Mamadou Tall had been stifled in Senegal, but on this occasion he was to shine. The visitors had all sorts of problems with his pace and power and on 7 minutes they would regret making the decision to stand off him. Given far too much space, he was able to take all the time in the world to craft a curling shot that rattled the inside of the post before rippling the net t give Burkina Faso the lead. On half an hour, he was to double his country's lead. Surging forward and unleashing a powerful low drive with clinical precision, the keeper had no chance. A matter of minutes later he completed his hat-trick, shifting inside an onrushing defender and burying another low drive.

In the second half, Burkina Faso took their foot off the gas and the game petered out. The crowd became very restless, sensing that their team could have plenty more goals in this match. However, Burkina Faso were content to hold on to what they had and they used the second half to give a debut to left winger Mamadou Cissé. The Germinal Beerschot player almost had the dream debut, skipping past two players before firing just over the bar.

Burkina Faso: Kiema, I. Ouattara, B. Koné, A. Ouattara, S. Koné, C. Kaboré©, Barry (Diarra, 80), Coulibaly, Ouedraogo, Sanou (Cissé, 55) Tall (Bamogo, 68)

São Tomé & Principe: Mbala, Tchami, Lembi, Mba (Essono, 45), Mbarga, Onka (Toukam, 45), Takang, Songo'o, Francisco, Atangana©, Mbiyavanga (Aubameyang, 55)

Burkina Faso 3-0 São Tomé & Principe

As always thanks for reading leonavich, it is appreciated. Gav, what can I say? You are such a tease :p

A knock at the door

Davide had become a bit more confident and in the past few weeks had travelled to training at Etoile on his own. Today was his 15th birthday and Kossivi had already told Joe that Davide was destined for a professional contract in the near future. The boy had so much talent, and the calm of the recent months under Joe's guardianship had seen a return to the flair of old. But Joe was worried, he was late home. Although he cursed himself, a man only just into his thrities, worrying himself sick like a old mother. The kid would be okay, he was probably with his friends.

A few hours passed and finally there was a knock at the door. Joe put aside the troubling thoughts of who might be at the door and what news they had come to bring, and opened the door. Davide was stood there trembling with energy. He could barely speak, Joe grabbed him by the shoulder and asked what was wrong. The boy gasped and could only point at the two figures emerging down the driveway. There stood two gaunt but happy looking figures. They were a woman and a young girl, not much younger than Davide. It could not be? They looked exhausted, malnourished and were dressed in filthy rags.

"They are back! Two men came to training today and dropped them here, a white guy and another big guy. I couldn't thank them enough! I tried to hug them but all they wanted was for me to give you this!"

Joe took a small brown envelope from the boy, it simply said "Joseph" of the front. He opened it and found an elegantly handwritten letter in French.

Joseph,

My friend. I hope the boy's mother and sister arrived back in Ouagadougou safely. I sent two of my best associates to ensure they were returned home. My actions have caused many young children of Burkina Faso to be orphaned and though I know this is but one child, I hope that it is at least something good that I can do.

I understand what it must have taken for you to come and seek help from me. The man responsible for this will be causing you any more problems. He became embroiled in matters he lacked the intelligence to properly handle. He has paid for his sins and I can only hope that this is how I can begin to pay for mine.

Take them home Joseph.

Your friend, despite you considering yourself otherwise.

Ibrahim Dagano

What could Joe do or say? In the end he chose the only option at that precise moment. He placed the letter in the house, wondering how should he dispose of it, picked up his car and gestured at the re-united family.

"Come on, I think it's time we got you all back home."

Archived