The Manchester United Thread 2007/08 - Home of the Champions

Nick OGS20

• Replies 28.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by alilaw:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by qwerty2k:

ronaldo interview with press after game last night:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

"I like a white kit," he said to the reporters, who all thought they may have an exclusive. "The white kit of the national team that is."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A day late is quick for Gregg, to be fair. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I detect jealousy at the speed of his response. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just remember, any dig at me is really just the manifestation of your latent self loathing.

Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Wasn't there some **** a few months ago pointing out that chelsea were lucky/unlucky because they played more home/away games?

eh? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well exactly.

Manchester United last night came under fire after signing one of Italy's most promising young strikers.

Just days after they were pipped by Arsenal to the signature of 17-year-old Cardiff midfielder Aaron Ramsey, United snapped up Davide Petrucci, 16, who scored 14 goals in 19 matches last season and was the top scorer in Roma's youth team. He has also starred for Italy's under-17 team.

United will pay Petrucci £95,000 a year and will cover the cost of regular flights home to Italy. The deal is the maximum permissible offer for a youth-team player. Roma will receive around £200,000 in compensation but the move has caused fury.

"It is a nightmare," said Il Romanista, a newspaper dedicated to Roma. "Manchester United have dealt us another low blow, stealing Petrucci from under our noses, probably the best product of our youth system. In three to four years, he will be worth 100 times as much."

Petrucci, who comes from the San Basilio suburb of Rome, has been compared to a young Francesco Totti and could have made the first-team squad next year. However, Roma offered him a contract worth only £16,000 a year, the basic youth-team deal. Petrucci was also said to be concerned that he had not already been called up to the first team. Totti made his debut in 1993 when he was 16.

Bruno Conti, Roma's technical director, said the club were unwilling to improve the terms because it would upset other youth-team players who had already signed similar deals, including Riccardo Brosco, a defender who has already been promoted to the full squad.

Conti said Petrucci would have been given opportunities to show his value next season.

Roma have a history of developing youth players. Daniele De Rossi and Alberto Aquilani have come through the system in the past two years and are now playing for Italy.

Roma are unable to contest the signing, since Italian rules state it is impossible to offer a professional contract to anyone under 17. Petrucci's birthday is in October.

dunno if thats been posted or even where its from, lad at work emailed it me.

Originally posted by James07?:

There wasn't much said about it at the time, but what is the general view on Fergie's comments about letting Ronnie rot in the reserves?

It's a nonsensical statement both on a tactical and realistic level.

On a tactical level it would serve no purpose other than to make it so certain that Ronnie was leaving under a cloud that it would drive his price down significantly when he finally did leave, whilst depriving of both his services on the field, and the funds to buy a replacement or replacements.

On a realistic level, i don't believe for a second it would happen anyway.

The only possible benefit i can see is as an attempt to show Madrid how determined we are to keep him, either to ward them off, or more likely keep the price high. But personally i don't think it will do that, as i feel it's an empty threat.

but wasnt Fergie using it as an example of how GREAT the Glazers are, saying how they'd have no problem with doing such a thing to prove a point, and we should all thank Malc?

I dunno, I seem to remember that being the context of the 'sitting in the stands comment' anyway.

it won't happen anyway. he'll either stay'n'play or go of course.

There wasn't much said about it at the time, but what is the general view on Fergie's comments about letting Ronnie rot in the reserves?

While it's really annoying me and it'd be amusing if we forced that to happen. I'd much rather, if he want's to leave, to force Madrid into paying the £100m/€100m they're saying they're prepared to pay. If they stump up the cash - no players taa unless Fergie really thinks they'll be worthwhile - and we can identify targets who will be willing to come that can be paid for out of that sum - a Right Back, a Winger & a Striker - then i'll gladly say taaraa to him.

Getting pretty annoyed with him now, even if it is just a "look at me, everybody loves me, i'm loving the media circus" attitude and he doesn't want to move. I hated it with Beckham and i hate it with him. Don't need it. Rather we didn't have that kind of focus. Get shot.

The 07/08 BBB thread including budget travel, street robbery, international cuisine (uno mucho grande Bigo Maco por favor!), multiple media appearances but no season ticket – also features Manchester United.

Originally posted by ACou2000:

Ruud for Robinho and yeah alright

oh please...as much as we can argue about the rights and wrongs of selling Ruud when we did, surely you can see that there are far better options out there?

I honestly think Fergie got a bit carried away in that interview with Frost. I think he said things that he’d not have done under normal circumstances which in some ways made for an interesting watch, but in terms of the Ronnie comments are highly damaging.

Although in reality it may not have changed a thing it IS giving his camp unnecessary ammunition if they want to us it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ACou2000:

Ruud for Robinho and yeah alright

oh please...as much as we can argue about the rights and wrongs of selling Ruud when we did, surely you can see that there are far better options out there? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

well perhaps, yes.

But I think we need a Ruud figure more than a Robinho one. So in this instance, I stand by it icon_cool.gif

only looking at the playing aspect though, dunno if there are that many who are better than Ruud.

aside from his age and obviously the history with us/Fergie meaning it will never happen, still don't see that many strikers in world football who match his goal-getting awesomeness. And it would be great not to hear any more rubbish about him not fitting our new sexy style of play.

the fact that Real want Ronnie just doesn't seem to be thought through properly by them. Ruud ended his playing time here by allegedly abusing Ronaldo r.e. his dad/relationship with Carlos, so how they could play together after that is beyond me.

probably the only one but i would bite madrids hand off for £60m for him. i know hes virtually irreplaceable but the fact this summer uncertainty over his future will continue for the rest of his time with us id rather just get rid when his price is at a peak. never in a million years is he having another season like he did last year.

getting really tired of the whole thing and get the sense he is loving the attention, starting to think of him as nelly in football boots.

Originally posted by No Longer Bling:

probably the only one but i would bite madrids hand off for £60m for him. i know hes virtually irreplaceable but the fact this summer uncertainty over his future will continue for the rest of his time with us id rather just get rid when his price is at a peak. never in a million years is he having another season like he did last year.

getting really tired of the whole thing and get the sense he is loving the attention, starting to think of him as nelly in football boots.

As i said before, if he really wants to stay, great. If we in any way are pressuring or twisting his arm, we'll end up with an Henry/Vieira situation, where he has a crap season on an inflated wage and then we sell him anyway for £10m-£20m less than we could have got the year before.

Agree with mark there. when he comes back, we've got to ask him one simple question "do you want to stay or go?" the answer should result in us selling him or telling Madrid to gtf.

I have a feeling it won't be the latter.

Originally posted by Gregg Carter:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

yeah, you've been suprisingly lucid for once.

It's a subject I'd rather not be facetious with to be honest. Plenty of time for that in other, more pointless discussions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was more the fact that you were stringing complete sentences together than the content.

Originally posted by Rcjuk:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James07?:

is it really RUKJUK? - I've always said ARESEEJAYOUKAY.

No, you're right. Don't care either way though.

Foobs coined ruckjuck as far as I know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't come swanning on here like nothing happened. We've not forgotten all that black/white ********, you know icon_mad.gif

While i’m going to stay positive about tHe ronAldo siTuation I’m tRYing to be reAlistic as well. No doubt it’ll have an imact on our SeAson If he Dedicdes to staY Or (Underastandbly) decidesS To make a hUge wad of cash PImping himself to maDrid. he Will havE to hop he LearnS to put tHe Crushing dissapoitment behind him UNtill a poinT when a deal can be done.

Archived