[FM10] The fool wanders, the wise man travels

iacovone

I guess that it the reality of life at the Clever Boys Iacovone. Your very best players will head to Europe.

What are the attendances like in SA by the way?

Good question. Our stadium holds 8000, not much for the average in SA. But we average about 7000 a season which is good. Kaizer Chiefs are the big club in SA, they've just wrapped up their 5th consecutive title with 6 games to go :eek:. Their stadium holds 50k and they're averaging 47k this year. By and large most teams fill their grounds.

It is a shame that the players get itchy feet, but as you say that is the reality. I've lined up a new young CM for next year, he has leading Premier league potential so should be another of the Clever Boys youth project :cool:.

It looks as if I'll be making some sort of continental tournament next year. Its just a matter of whether it'll be the Champions League or Confederation Cup. Either way it'll be great to be in a tournament that will definitely improve the clubs (and maybe my) reputation. From there I hope to be able to hold onto my players for longer.

I've been pondering the direction of my career. At the moment I can see me staying at Bidvest Wits for a few more years, at least as long as I can retain my stars. I have my eyes on getting an African international job soon enough as the Cameroon U21's only play friendlies. Contending with the Kaizer Chiefs seems a long way off though. Maybe I'll end up there one day?

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7th May 2014

Well we are in a real race for the Champions League. We are 2nd on 54 points. Orlando Pirates and Mamelodi Sundowns are in 3rd and 4th also on 54 points :eek:. Remember just 2nd place gets the CL spot. Our next game is away to Kaizer Chiefs too, an incredibly tough match, and one they'll want to win after we turned them over in the home game (as well as on penalties in the FA Cup :D). Fortunately my injured stars Miller, Chapman and Ngema have all made a quicker recovery than I expected so we have a near enough full strength side now.

C'mon the Clever Boys \o/

Too right! Well we salvaged a 1-1 draw at the Kaizer Chiefs after they were reduced to 10 men.

Mamelodi Sundowns drew 0-0 at home to MP Black Aces.

Orlando Pirates lost away to Moroka Swallows (the team I have at home final game) 2-1.

So we sit in the driving seat for the final game. So long as we equal our two nearest rivals we're off to the Champions League. Come on you Clever Clever Boys!!

We beat Moroka Swallows to clinch 2nd place. I'm delighted for us, its been a great season \o/.

Now we have the South African FA Cup Final to wrap up the year. Can we do a double of cups? I'll let you know in the season report :thup:

658ab122596f462ca71d47ea36f1c9ed.jpg

End of Season 2013/14

The League

Media Prediction: 10th (of 16)

Final Position: 2nd|Graph

Notes: I can't praise the team enough this year. They've exceeded all expectations and ended up clinching 2nd place behind runaway champions Kaizer Chiefs. It was a close run affair, coming down to the final game against Moroka Swallows.

As you can see in the league screenshot the key to our success was again our cracking defence. Colin Ngema is going to be a world star in my opinion, the guy is fantastic. He suffered a bad hip injury but recovered late in the season to see us into 2nd and qualify for the African Champions League \o/.

Also at the back Edwin Ndlovu in goal was his usual imperious self. I always felt that once we took the lead, the game was wrapped up. He is a superkeeper ;). Sifiso Myeni performed very well in either the 3 CB or 2 CB defence.

In midfield, once my two CMs were sold, young youth product Shane McCarthy came in and had a fantastic finale to the season. He could be a long term contender for this spot based on this run of form. On the left wing Glen Miller fulfilled his promise this season putting in a number of high class performances.

Finally Emmanuel Emanike up front had a blinder of a year. He was the main striker we'd needed. The signing came about following our opening day draw with FS Stars in which Emanike scored a stunner. So I dipped into the transfer budget and snapped him up. It proved to be a wonderful signing and reflected on me well :).

The Cups

There are three domestic cups in SA and the first up was the Super Eight Cup where entry is guaranteed by coming in the top 8 of the previous league season. We beat the MP Black Aces 1-0 to make it to the semis but lost over two legs to the Sundowns to bow out.

The Knockout Cup was next up and we continued to take the cups seriously. It paid off as we claimed my first career trophy by beating Ajax CT 3-1 in the final. The highlight was beating the Sundowns 2-0 in the semi final.

Finally the SA FA Cup arrived and we battled to another final. There were some dramatic games along the way, defeating the Moroka Swallows 2-1 after extra time in the 3rd Round. We followed this up by beating the mighty Kaizer Chiefs on penalties in the Quarters before making the final by beating Dynamos 1-0 away in the Semis. The Final pitted us against surprise team Bay Utd, who by this point had been relegated from the top flight. We made hard work of it but eventually triumphed in extra time 3-0 to snatch our second trophy of the year!

The Club

We're now establishing ourselves as a real force in the top flight. The one problem is retaining our young stars, which I feel will come to haunt us this summer as heads are already turning. So long as my chairman doesn't sell them behind my back I won't complain.

The Future

We have the Champions League to look forward to next season which will bring a great boost to our reputation. It also gives me a chance to enhance my name around the continent. There aren't many top class players available to buy at the moment that will sufficiently improve the squad so I'm hoping to tie down the key men to longer contracts and tweak the tactic to get more goals out of my side!

Career Summary is updated in my 1st post :)

Excellent season there Iacovone. :thup:

Solid defensive record as well. Any more details on your tactical setup (I know you mentioned it briefly but I'm curious now!)?

Some really decent looking youngsters there. I wasn't sure what the quality in South Africa was like but it looks pretty good, maybe somewhere near League One or Championship, right? It'll be interesting to see if you hang on for a good few years here because with some promising young players, you could really build something with The Clever Boys.

Looking forward to seeing how you progress in the African Champions League. I literally know nothing about that so I'd appreciate some information about the format when you get around to playing in it!

It's always interesting reading about someone managing somewhere a bit different. It's not a country I have ever thought of loading to be honest.

One thing I would like to do with FM10 at some point is to try managing somewhere that I have never managed before, and definitely outside Europe where I generally tend to manage.

Keep up the good work with The Clever Boys anyway! :cool:

Solid defensive record as well. Any more details on your tactical setup (I know you mentioned it briefly but I'm curious now!)?

Erm ok, here we go. My tactic looks like this. Like the 'seven tonne weight' name I gave it? No? Oh. :D. I basically went for a defensive version whereby I had a 6 & 4 set up. So my 5 defender's mentality was set at nearly the same, with the left CM also defensive but not too far back. The other CM held his position in comparison to the team whilst the front 3 were set very attacking and with lots of creative freedom. I have just the wingers allowed to roam from position to create a kind of free flowing front 3.

I've leant towards shorter creative passing but other than the front 3 I like to have my players stay in their position. At this level I can't give too much freedom. In terms of the defence I have tight marking throughout with the two wide CBs man marking.

I'm not entirely sure I've created anything revolutionary, I think I've just found a system to make this rather awkward looking formation successful. Which makes me happy because thus far on FM10 I have REALLY struggled with the formation aspect.

If you'd like any more detail on the tactic just ask.

Looking forward to seeing how you progress in the African Champions League. I literally know nothing about that so I'd appreciate some information about the format when you get around to playing in it!
That makes two of us then! I think its a straight knockout for the first 3 rounds, then two 4 team groups in which the top two teams qualify for the semis. Seems fairly straight forward. I hope the prize money is good!
Keep up the good work with The Clever Boys anyway! :cool:
Thanks, really enjoying it! I'd recommend managing in an obscure league its fun. Although I didn't take to South Korea too well :rolleyes:. I didn't imagine managing in SA, I just had it running so that I had leagues going from all over the world.

nice going on the 2nd place Iacovone. the tactic looks interesting as well. I really am grateful that Si introduced the wizard to go with the sliders, as before it seemed you had to go with a flat 4-4-2 or some other well known formation. now people are coming up with ones like yours that probably wouldnt have worked with just sliders, or asymmetrical ones such as a 4-4-2 but with one of the wide midfielders advanced to AMR/L.

enough rambling from me. if i'm failing and need a tactic, and have wing backs available, i'll have a look at yours :)

World Cup 2014 - Hosted by the holders Brazil

Eliminated at the Group Stages:

New Zealand

South Korea

Japan

Ukraine

Chile

Iran

Cameroon

Uruguay

Benin

Holland

Serbia

Guatemala

France

Australia

USA

Algeria

NB: Biggest shock is seeing Holland finish bottom of their group behind Benin. France see Peru nick their qualification spot in Group G.

2nd Round:

Brazil 2-1 Nigeria

Scotland 1-0 Argentina

Portugal 0-1 Ivory Coast

Italy 5-2 Romania

Paraguay 1-2e Germany

Mexico 2-1 England

Russia 0-3 Croatia

Spain 3-0 Peru

Quarter Finals:

Brazil 1-0 Italy

Scotland 3-0 Ivory Coast

Germany 0-0p Spain

Mexico 4-1 Croatia

Semi Finals:

Brazil 0-1 Mexico

Scotland 1-3e Spain

3rd Place Playoff:

Scotland 1-3 Brazil

Final:

Mexico 1-2 Spain

An amazing run by Scotland and Mexico were the highlights of this tournament. Spain eventually triumphed to claim the Jules Rimet trophy alongside their European Championship trophy. They are the undisputed kings of International football at the moment.

Best Player: Robinho (1 goal, 4 assists, av rat: 8.65 in 4 games)

Golden Boot: Pato (8 goals in 7 games)

Best Goalkeeper: Iker Casillas (5 conceded in 7 games)

They do indeed Nobby. Think my favourite is the Black Leopards. Though the best nickname is surely ours - The Clever Boys :cool:

My CM just declared that he has fallen out with my assistant manager :confused:. Never seen that before. Bit stumped as to what to do, I need them both really.

August 2014

With the new domestic season approaching I decided to end my tenure at Cameroon U21's. Frankly it was a bit of a waste of time. We were never going to play any competitive games so I thought I'd be better off focusing on another strong year with Bidvest Wits.

At Bidvest we have had a great intake of youth products this summer. Two names to remember - Musa Masuku (AMR) and Jean Basile (AM/FC). Other than these two, who will likely play a few games for the first team this year, I have made just one more signing. Larry Cohen (DM/MC) is a South African who had been plying his trade in Kuwait. I've made him the biggest earner at the club as he could be excellent in the middle this year. I hope his arrival will bring a further boost to the club's morale.

We begin the season in the Charity Cup (open to the 4 continental qualifiers) and then go into the Super Eight Cup before the league campaign kicks off. I'm excited once more for the Clever Boys. C'mon!

Implosion at Bidvest

Major problems have struck. I have 5 first team players (including my captain and vice captain) with 1 year left on their contracts. I've tried to negotiate with them but they are all not interested in renewing their contracts :(. Therefore I've offered them out to clubs in the hope I can agree a deal for the end of the season rather than now. They're all transfer listed too so hopefully I can make some money off their departures. There isn't much else I can do sadly. Looks like backward steps are inevitable now :(

This is genuinely upsetting. I have built such a great squad here and really moved Bidvest up in the world but now because of all the want away potential Bosman players looking to leave everything is going up in smoke :(. Emanike the fantastic striker won't sign a new deal but also says he doesn't want to leave the club when I transfer list him :confused:. Captain Mahlunga is upset and wants to leave, Rudi Isaacs is the same and just got annoyed at me for subbing him (despite carrying a slight injury) and Myeni also wants out. Trouble is I don't want to offer them to clubs now because that results in a bid asking for an immediate transfer. I can't afford to do that as there just isn't talented available players to come in for them. My young RW Mogale just stated that he is concerned about the squad harmony (48%) which is so frustrating because last year that was effectively the reason for our success :thdn:

Could be a sad end to a really great thing I had here. Strangely I have become really attached to this club. I hope it doesn't all turn completely pear shaped...

EDIT: Scratch that, Emanike signed my new huge contract offer!!!! YES!! \o/. There is hope.

EDIT 2: Tsepho Allie signs til 2017!! I've realised that all I need to do is offer them obscenely high wages! Fortunately my financial prudence these last two years has meant I have an enormous amount of room to offer the big bucks :cool:

Iacovone, now is the time to jump ship I feel :)

I don't feel the need to leave yet. I'll play this season for definite. My contract ends this season so I'll wait til 3 months remain and see if any offers come in. Its likely I'll stay a few years, I have bought a couple of good prospects and have two fantastic youth products from this summer to keep me more than interested for now.

They really are Clever Boys as they realise they can make more money elsewhere.

Yes yes laugh it up! :(

January is fast approaching and I've decided to give up on keeping the want away players. Defenders Myeni and Mahlunga, and striker Chapman are all offered out for £500k. This brings in about 60 bids so as long as they agree to move to a European club they're off. That means I'll have to find replacements in January. I expect this will disrupt our season sadly.

In the league we are 4th currently. 7 points off leaders Kaizer Chiefs (surprise surprise!) but just 4 off the Swallows in 2nd. We've also just beaten Orlando Pirates on penalties to reach the Knockout Cup Final for the second consecutive season :)

Stick in there and build them up again mate. If you manage to gain some more success you might be able to build the clubs reputation to a point where players will only leave if a big european club comes calling and that means $$$$$

Cheers WH. I have no reason to leave at the moment so I plan on being here for the meantime. It'd be nice if these players stuck around for the African Champions League but I've just agreed deals for those 3 players. Guess they'll never know. With some success in the ACL I'll improve the club's rep. I have no idea what the standard will be like though :confused:

Speculation regarding my job is beginning to hit the media now. First of all a random 17 year old youth player (who is rubbish btw) came out in support of me pleading with the board to offer me a new contract. Cheers! :D. Now I've had a news item explaining how the board plan to sit down with me at the end of the season. It also speculates who may take over if I did leave. Interesting nonetheless, wonder if I'll be offered another job anywhere?

January 2015

Well Myeni, Mahlungu and Chapman have all left for the combined total of £1.5m. In came one signing in young prospect at CB Joel Sithole for £500k. So I've raised some cash through the sales and realistically this will have to be the case next year as well with a couple of my main players.

We are still trundling along in 2nd place and actually beat Kaizer Chiefs at home so we're having another good season. The difference is with Emenike the striker. He went an amazing 1060 mins without scoring at one point! Now he has torn his calf muscle and misses 4 months of the season :thdn:.

You may remember me say we were making sturdy progress in the Knockout Cup. Well, we ended up defending our trophy admirably, beating the Sundowns comfortably in the final 2-0. \o/! Another trophy woohoo!

The ACL draw has been made and we are facing Zambian champions Power Dynamos in the Preliminary Round. They have just 5 real players and they are all kids, so unless their grey players are spectacular, I expect progress.

Still haven't decided on my future. There is still speculation about my job successor and they want me to stay but I'm going to play it cool for a few months...

African Champions League First Impressions:

We've begun strongly in our first foray into the continental competitions. Our preliminary opponents Power Dynamos from Zambia proved to have very little in the power department ;). We destroyed them 7-1 away and followed up with a comfortable 1-0 win at home to qualify for the 1st Round proper.

We were drawn against Petro Atletico from Angola who were deemed as considerable favourites over us. The home leg came first and we kept a clean sheet whilst smashing home 3 in their net. The away leg wasn't quite a formality as they came at us hard but we nicked a goal to win the tie 4-0 on aggregate. We have made it to the 2nd Round, one away from the Group Stage.

Next up we face Al-Hilal, hailing from Sudan. This is one of the kinder draws considering the likes of Hearts of Oak, ASEC and Etoile du Sahel (the holders) remain in the hat.

An upside to this continental progress has been the noticeable change in my reputation. I am now no longer nationally known, I am continentally known :cool:.

I've also been offered a second new contract. A 4 year deal on £1,900k p/w. I have delayed the decision til the end of the season. Not sure what to do at the moment :confused:

Get at least 2k. Im on 2,400 on only a National Rep.

Got offered £1,900k p/w and a 1 year deal after I negotiated it from the original 4 year deal. Accepted it as I'd not received any job offers from elsewhere. Plus the ACL overlaps the end and beginning of a season so I definitely want to stick around for the end of that.

658ab122596f462ca71d47ea36f1c9ed.jpg

End of Season 2014/15

The League

Media Prediction: 5th (of 16)

Final Position: 3rd|Graph

Notes: We opened the season with a tough game away at the Champions Kaizer Chiefs. We lost 2-0 but fortunately that didn't send us through a tough patch. Instead we went 7 unbeaten conceding just once in that time. We had the occasional mishap, losing 3-0 away at Supersport and 4-1 away at Golden Arrows, but these were very out of character.

Again the defence was the talk of Johannesburg as we conceded just 20 goals in 30 league games. The problem this year though was goalscoring, Emanike went through an awful dry spell following transfer speculation and when he finally agreed a new contract he injured himself for the majority of the season.

Transfer speculation took hold of the club for pretty much the entire year with a number of players rumoured to be leaving. Obviously I'd have loved to have kept my whole squad together but I experienced disharmony like never before and ended up selling a number of first teamers reluctantly. I'm even bidding farewell to the rock at the back, Colin Ngema, who is leaving for Lorient in a £2.4m deal with a 35% profit of next sale clause written in. Its a wonderful deal for the club but leaves us very short at CB for next season.

The league finished much closer than ever before with Kaizer Chiefs only confirming their 6th straight title on the final day of the season. We drew with Ajax CT to eventually finish 3rd. Though lower than our 2nd place finish of last year (which was a massive overachievement) it guarantees us more continental football as we enter the African Confederation Cup.

The Cups

As one of the 4 continental qualifiers we entered the Charity Cup as a warm up to the domestic season. We lost 3-2 to the Sundowns in the first game to go out. Next up was the Super Eight Cup. We beat Dynamos 1-0 to make the semi's but lost to Orlando Pirates 2-1 on aggregate to miss out here again.

In the Knockout Cup I was intent on trying to retain the first trophy I'd won as a manager. We went away to Supersport and ground out a 1-0 win to qualify for a trip to Golden Arrows. Here we played them off the park, winning 4-0 to book our Semi Final place. This match ended 0-0 with Orlando Pirates and had to be settled on penalties. The Sundowns were our Final opponents and after scoring 2 quick early goals we never looked back, winning the trophy 2-0!

The other trophy I was looking to retain was the FA Cup. Our first game came against lower league side Luso Africa away. Shockingly we were knocked out in extra time through an Edwin Ndlovu own goal. Very disappointing.

Finally the African Champions League. Here we stepped into completely unknown territory and I knew little of what was expected. The board wanted us to just learn from the experience. Our first ever game in the ACL finished 7-1 to us as we flew to Zambia to destroy Power Dynamos. The 2nd leg was a formality and we were through to play Angolan side Petro Atletico. This was also a relatively easy tie and we triumphed 4-0 on aggregate. Now we had made the 2nd Round and by all accounts it began to get serious. Despite being massive underdogs against Al-Hilal of Sudan we went away and won 2-1, scoring 2 vital away goals. Despite losing the home game 1-0, the away goals were crucial, and we have the Group Stage to look forward to next season.

Our group looks very tough though as we face the holders, Etoile du Sahel (Tunisia), CS Sfax (Tunisia) and ASEC (Ivory Coast). Only the top 2 qualify and you play each team home and away.

The Club

The many transfers made this year have put our finances (£2.4m to come) in a very healthy position. I am trying to expand the stadium as we regularly fill it out but the council are blocking the move. I will try to improve the facilities instead.

The Future

Most of the want-away players have now left so it is a case of hanging onto the remainder and rebuilding the club. I was delighted to retain continental competition in the face of a very trying season but next year will be even tougher. I think we will immediately see how big the loss of Ngema will become. He was by far the best defender in the league, and naturally there isn't anyone here to replace him. Hopefully our reputation will be large enough to attract some of the SA ex-pats.

Career Summary is updated in my 1st post :)

Thought I'd introduce the youth products of last year and this year. The Clever Kids if you will :cool:

2014 Crop:

Musa Masuku

Jean Basile

2015 Crop:

Kabelo Dladla

Raymond Campbell

Of the latest crop Dladla looks like a really classy player. He is going to play at the back most likely as we're fine for CMs. Campbell offers good back up at LW.

Of last year, Jean Basile played quite a few games, scoring a number of good goals, including one 40 yard contender for goal of the season. Masuku didn't play too much last year but with a year's development will likely have a role to play at RW.

Is it just me, or does it look like Dladla might already be good enough for some spot on the senior club? Great starting attributes, and a DC/DMC/MC makes him very versatile and useful.

I should have made myself clearer, Dladla is by far the best player we've had through the academy. I'd go so far as to say behind Ngema he is the best player I've had at Bidvest. And that's at 16 years of age :eek:

Enjoy him while you have him... before the board sells him... but make sure to keep an eye on him as he becomes a big player on the world football scene! I know I always hope my players succeed, even if they've left my club. That's why I love the "where are they now" screen!

Yep that is a great feature, I'm already following Ngema at Lorient as he was special. Dladla will no doubt be sold behind my back at some point. My chairman has done that 5 times now all with key players. Honestly, one more and I'll be considering my position here.

Haha thanks for that Nobby :thup:

I'm in a position now where I want to cry. My idiotic, brainless, greedy chairman Stan Whiting has done it again. Just as the transfer window slams shut Tsepho Allie (RB) and Glen Miller (LM) were sold to Teplice in what amounted to £5m. Obviously I've not been able to replace them so I've seen my first team cut in two AGAIN :mad:.

Its seriously getting to the stage now where my job is almost becoming untenable. I don't feel like I can realistically match the board's expectations of a top 4 finish this season now. The Champions League will be even more of an uphill struggle too.

Looks like I'm forced now to play my kids as the squad is really down to the bare bones. Losing Allie was bad but not the end of the world as I have another good RB waiting in the wings. Losing Miller is catastrophic. He got 10 goals and 11 assists in 40 games last year. That's irreplaceable.

I'm going to sleep on it and ponder my future. I suppose I need to see the ACL out and by that time the African Nations will be culminating, so there could be an interesting African international job available. It hurts to see all my good work here undone by the chairman. I now make that 7 players he has sold without my permission :thdn::(

African Champions League Group Stage

I'd had a bit of a howler with the squad registration and left my 4 academy boys out of the squad. That coupled with a few injuries and the unforeseen sale of two key players meant the squad was light going into this stage.

We started badly losing our first two games, both at home. Both to the two Tunisian clubs - Etoile du Sahel (holders) and CS Sfax. This didn't bode well.

However a 2-0 win at ASEC kept up hopes before we took a point in a 0-0 at CS Sfax. ASEC were the whipping boys of the group and we despatched them 2-0 at home to put us in 2nd place, 2 points above Etoile du Sahel with the final game at their place in Tunisia.

We managed to draw 0-0 and even dominated the proceedings to claim a place in the semi finals against all odds! We will face Club Africain who finished top of the other group (with Kaizer Chiefs in 2nd place). We stand every chance.

2nd Leg, ACL Semi Final Leg 2

Thought I'd go more in depth for the crucial second leg at home to Club Africain.

Devastatingly 3 key men were away with the South African national team so I was without star keeper Edwin Ndlovu - by far the worst news of the lot. In fact with all the unavailable players we were down to the bare bones. I had to name 2 youth players on the bench it was so desperate.

Despite this I could just about name a recognised first 11 in my 4-4-2 formation. I chose to tell the players to do this for the fans. I very very rarely use this team talk but I went with it this time knowing the enormity of the game ahead.

It seemed to work as we flew out of the blocks. Club Africain came to defend and had just 1 man up front from the off. This meant we had a lot of early possession. Emmanuel Emanike fresh off the back of a league hattrick got us off to a flier, scoring in the 5th minute to level the aggregate score.

We continued to press and academy product AML Siyabonga Chabalala nodded in our second on the 13th before clipping in a rebound to make it 3-0 on the 22nd minute! This was beyond a shock as 1) Chabalala isn't very good and 2) I hadn't expected such an easy ride from Club Africain.

At half time I told the players I was 'pleased' - the dreaded team talk. However we continued our pressure and want away defender Tsepho Josephs headed in from a corner to make it 4-0 with half an hour to go. The game was pretty much sealed and we looked to be on our way to the Champions League Final :eek:.

Club captain Sandile Sibande made it 5-0 with a good strike before Chabalala emphatically made it 6, turning and slotting home at the far post for his hattrick! The Vuvuzela horns could be heard all over South Africa as we romped into the final with a 6-1 aggregate win. Club Africain had been humbled in SA, and not for the first time, losing a group game 7-1 to Kaizer Chiefs.

The trophy will be heading to SA this year but to who? We face Kaizer Chiefs over 2 legs in the Final. This will definitely be an uphill struggle, particularly as we are minus a few players from the squad registration. I doubt their manager da Gama made the same mistakes I did :rolleyes:

Cheers Raware. Hope so!

ACL Final Leg 1 vs Kaizer Chiefs (a)

As has been the theme we could barely put out a squad for this game. I even had to put a lightly injured youth player on the bench to make up the numbers!!

By and large though it was the same team that embarrassed Club Africain 6-0. The away leg first is always the way I prefer it so I was pleased in that sense.

The opening half hour was tight - which pleased me but they were the ones taking the game to us. This pressure told as excellent SA striker Moloi headed in on the 35th minute to give them a 1-0 lead at half time. Not a disaster. I decided to change the formation to my 3-2-2-2-1 at half time to make us a bit tougher down the spine.

I also took off captain Sibande who was suffering with an injury. We were weak going into the 2nd half.

63 minutes saw something reasonably unheard of - a howler from keeper Ndlovu :thdn:. He dropped the ball on the line and Moloi grabbed his second of the game.

This woke us up though and substitute Tsepho Alexander had a good chance that the keeper saved. He then pulled one back for fellow sub McCarthy who saw his drive saved too. Close. Kaizer Chiefs had a couple more chances but the game remained the same and finished 2-0.

Not a great result and it will require a miracle to beat Kaizer Chiefs with this team, let alone score 2 or more. :(

Hate to say I told you so ;)

Ha. In hindsight perhaps but I just had to play the African Champions League and that seems to have been a worthwhile experience! I'm starting to think this will be my last season now though. We're losing games we never used to in cups and the league. I blame the chairman entirely!

ACL Final Leg 2 vs Kaizer Chiefs (h)

I could put out a full 11 this time and it was the same team that lost 2-0 two weeks ago in the first leg. We needed to match the result or do better to win the tournament.

Kaizer Chiefs began the game the strongest, putting us under some early pressure. Moloi nearly did it again for them but Ndlovu in goal was more than a match this time around.

The game got scrappy and this led to a couple more chances for Kaizer Chiefs, one clear one flagged for offside. At the other end Masuku got played into a similar position but his shot was saved. As an extra kick in the teeth it was flagged for offside too.

On the 33rd minute we had the game's best chance, Chabalala swinging a cross over to be met by Godfrey Davids 6 yards out. His header came down off the underside of the bar though! Heartbreaking stuff! Then, right on half time, Masuka put a nice cross in for Chabalala to head onto the bar too! Emenike followed up with the rebound but his header was straight at the keeper. Those could have been our two goals.

The second half began superbly though as Larry Cohen powered in a header from a free kick. 1-0 to the Clever Boys \o/. What should have been a springboard ended up forcing Kaizer Chiefs to be more cautious. Chances were few and far between from here.

Sibande's direct free kick on 78mins turned out to be our last great chance. It looked to be in the whole way but the Chiefs keeper pulled off a stunning top corner save to deny him :(.

Substitutions were made to go more attacking but we couldn't conjure up anything more. Final score 1-0 to us but crucially 2-1 to Kaizer Chiefs on aggregate.

EDIT: Wow, despite the loss we've been awarded a place in the Champions League for next year! That's great news as I was expecting the Confederation Cup but this is excellent. It means we can sustain our reputation for another year. Plus it might tempt me to stay a year longer!

Archived