[FM10] The fool wanders, the wise man travels

iacovone

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha it is a great nickname. They are also known as 'the Students' but 'the Clever Boys' is so much better :cool:

Plans: Still waiting to hear what the board expect. I will aim for mid-table (7th-9th) and take it from there. This is the first club I've been at in this career that don't expect me to win the league :D. Its nicer not having pressure on me :rolleyes:

Been planty of problems so far. Do you think its tactic related? I'm doing quite well with a simple 442 with limited defenders and attacking wingers. Good luck with the "Clever boys." Hope you can turn your career around.

Thanks WH. It is definitely tactic related, not sure whether its due to me being too intricate or just getting it completely wrong. Also this is the first game I've made myself take all the press conferences and I always go for the extremes. Either we will definitely win, or how annoyed I am at the team. Maybe I need to be more diplomatic :rolleyes:

Pre-Season July/Aug 2012

After looking around I realised it was going to be tough to tempt players from the big clubs to join little Bidvest. So I decided on spending our money on the youth of tomorrow. I sent my scouts to watch every member of the U19's and U21's for the National Team and see who they could find.

It proved fairly fruitful as a number of promising 16/17/18 year olds were recommended. The problem remained that they were at big clubs and therefore didn't have much interest of leaving for us. However, money talks and given the huge budget we had I offered double for a lot of these kids and had a few accept.

I now have a top class right wing back called Rudi Isaacs, two very promising wingers in Glen Millar and Danny Mogale. I loaned another promising centre back from Orlando Pirates called Abram Khuzwayo and snapped up Tsepho Josephs a CB from relegated Bloem Celtic.

So the average age of the squad has been brought right down and I feel we have a useful first team now. Not one to challenge for honours but one to achieve my promise of a safe mid-table position.

I have used pre-season to employ my new ultra intricate 3-2-2-2-1 formation. It has done wonders in the friendlies, finally reducing the CCC's of the opposition, while creating more for us, as well as keeping possession far better. It just has to hold up against the Premier League teams now.

European Championship 2012 - Hosted by Poland & Ukraine

Eliminated at the Group Stages:

Poland

Denmark

Italy

Switzerland

Sweden

Croatia

England

France

NB: Italy lose out to the Ukraine and Czech Rep. Shock in Group D as Serbia and Russia escape from England and France.

Quarter Finals:

Czech Rep 0-2 Germany

Ukraine 0-1 Portugal

Russia 1-2 Spain

Serbia 2-0 Holland

Semi Finals:

Germany 1-3 Serbia

Portugal 1-3 Spain

Final:

Serbia (p) 2-2 Spain

Serbia win 10-9 on penalties after Spanish keeper Reina misses his penalty.

Best Player: Fernando Torres (7 goals in 6 games)

Golden Boot: Fernando Torres (7 goals in 6 games)

Friendlies are over and done with and we recorded an impressive 8 victories from 8 games. We played two 'tough' games at home to Al-Arabi(QAT) and Keflavik winning 1-0 and 4-1. The biggest positive to come from these friendlies was the adaptation to my new tactic.

Here are some stats:

CCCs created: 20

CCCs conceded: 7

Possession: 55.62%

Shots For: 110

Shots Against: 73

Its just a snapshot but I'm pleased we've come on top in all categories. I admit the opposition in a couple of games are fairly inferior but we also took on a couple of notable sides so perhaps it balances out.

This bodes well for the new year and I hope to report back soon on a strong start to my first year in South Africa.

Friendlies are over and done with and we recorded an impressive 8 victories from 8 games. We played two 'tough' games at home to Al-Arabi(QAT) and Keflavik winning 1-0 and 4-1. The biggest positive to come from these friendlies was the adaptation to my new tactic.

Here are some stats:

CCCs created: 20

CCCs conceded: 7

Possession: 55.62%

Shots For: 110

Shots Against: 73

Its just a snapshot but I'm pleased we've come on top in all categories. I admit the opposition in a couple of games are fairly inferior but we also took on a couple of notable sides so perhaps it balances out.

This bodes well for the new year and I hope to report back soon on a strong start to my first year in South Africa.

Any tips ? sinking with Dover, my latest attempt, a lame 4-6-0 has failed :(

Not really :(. I'm so bad at the tactical side! I just made sure I did absolutely everything myself, every player instruction is done for my players. My 2 CMs are different (1 further back than the other). I've not given much creative freedom and have them rigid. I don't know what else to suggest, use your friendlies to tinker, that's what I did and I think I finally have found a balance!

Enter the forum curse...

Not really :(. I'm so bad at the tactical side! I just made sure I did absolutely everything myself, every player instruction is done for my players. My 2 CMs are different (1 further back than the other). I've not given much creative freedom and have them rigid. I don't know what else to suggest, use your friendlies to tinker, that's what I did and I think I finally have found a balance!

Enter the forum curse...

Forgot about your previous calamities :D I will keep it simple now and hope for the best.

Forgot about your previous calamities :D I will keep it simple now and hope for the best.

I've used the Scottish and South Korean debacles to educate myself about the game. As a tactical connoisseur now I like to incorporate elements of all 3 national identities in my managerial approach to the beautiful game :D

September 2012:

Well we didn't start well, losing the first two games to MP Black Aces and Orlando Pirates 3-1 and 1-0. It was disappointing but I changed my defence to accomodate a stunningly good 16 year old CB. We followed this up though with 2 wins over Dynamos and Maritzburg City. So we've actually begun the season slightly better than I expected.

There is a big gulf between the powerhouses and the minnows in this division, so it will be a really tough task to gain ground. I am really enjoying this job though, the South African league is fun and I have a great behind the scenes set up providing good youth products. If I can hang onto them I hope to do something memorable here :)

September 2012:

Well we didn't start well, losing the first two games to MP Black Aces and Orlando Pirates 3-1 and 1-0. It was disappointing but I changed my defence to accomodate a stunningly good 16 year old CB. We followed this up though with 2 wins over Dynamos and Maritzburg City. So we've actually begun the season slightly better than I expected.

There is a big gulf between the powerhouses and the minnows in this division, so it will be a really tough task to gain ground. I am really enjoying this job though, the South African league is fun and I have a great behind the scenes set up providing good youth products. If I can hang onto them I hope to do something memorable here :)

And you are ?

That's a joke right? Definite minnows :D

Predicted 13th this year (out of 16) and nearly relegated last year. Small stadium but good bank balance and good youth facilities make it an intriguing job.

I thought it might have changed with your mammoth transfer fund :D

Half Way 2012/13 Season - Bidvest Wits

Our 15th league game has just ended 0-0 at home to Jomo Cosmos and its time to reflect on our first half of the 2012/13 season. Astonishingly we sit 6th on 21 points with a record of 5-6-4. The league is very tight but we're just about hanging onto the leading pack. I definitely don't expect a challenge and to be honest I'd take 6th now if it were offered to me.

We don't score a great deal (14 in 15) but we don't concede either (9 in 15) and in fact have the 2nd best record in the league :). The youngsters I've signed have all performed fantastically, particularly the boys at the back and its quite impressive to have such a good defensive record given my rather odd 3-2-2-2-1 formation. Maybe I'm onto something.

The board and fans are 'very pleased' with me which is great, and I think the first time I've been bestowed with praise in this career! If we can just score a few more goals (we've had 5 0-0 draws) then I think we can become quite dangerous.

Hope to report at the end of the year that we maintained this form and finished 6th but I'll take anything down to 9th in reality.

Mon the Clever Boys :cool:

Going well so far :thup:

Maybe you could experiment with a few attacking tweeks in home games to try to bring a few more goals. Stick to the solid defensive one away though.

Yep I'm experimenting a little with the team mentality thing. I've been on 'standard' the whole season so far, so I'll be trying 'control' or 'attacking' at home. The only worry is it pushes our defensive line further forward which inevitably will make us a little more open at the back. But I don't expect to finish high up the table so it makes sense to experiment.

The Orlando Pirates manager just got sacked, I was debating whether to apply for it but think I'll wait for now. Need to achieve something here before I consider my next job. It'd be great to stick around for 4/5 years and really build Bidvest Wits up. We have some fantastic young players throughout the squad so it'd be nice to grow with them.

I have the entire club (1st team, reserves and u19s) playing the same formation. I hope this will be something I can stick with throughout my career. I just need to give it a catchy name now :D

Curiosity:

My main striker Evans Chikwaikwai is Zimbabwean and therefore not eligible for a new work permit (being foreign). I've offered a new contract about 10 times out of desperation but to no avail. Now though I've noticed he has just 120 days left until he can gain South African citizenship. By my calculation of 4 remaining months of the season I think he'll just scrape by and become a native.

Fingers are crossed that I can finally tie him down to a contract. He's only 21 so it'll be a real coup to keep him. 8 games remain, we sit 7th. :thup:

658ab122596f462ca71d47ea36f1c9ed.jpg

End of Season 2012/13

The season has just finished and given that this was my first completed season in my career, its only right to do a full end of season report.

The League

Media Prediction: 13th (of 16)

Final Position: 6th

Notes: This was a highly impressive season for us as well as being quite unexpected. Our defence was the key conceding a miserly 22 goals all year. We were however the 2nd lowest goalscorers in the league with just 29. This is something that I'll need to try to work out for next year. I need to try and balance my tactic a little more to ensure we keep just as tight at the back however.

The league was very tight for most of the season but we managed to string enough good results together to stay ahead of mid-table and eventually came just 3 points away from an African Champions League place. My goalkeeper Edwin Ndlovu was just superb all year long. His only weakness is with aerial balls but on the whole, for this level, he has to be the best keeper in the league. I spent big on a few promising young players and the majority performed well all year. Tsepho Josephs and Tsepho Allie did well in CB and WBR respectively but it was pleasing to see some of the original squad members perform too. We have an excellent MC, who was probably my player of the year (outfield) called Sandile Sibande. My vice captain LB Mahlengu was just as impressive.

The Cups

Disappointingly we didn't progress past the first stage of the Knockout Cup losing 5-2 away at Jomo Cosmos, by far the most we'd conceded in any game all year. That was a shame and it was equalled in the FA Cup as well when we lost to the MP Black Aces 3-2 away. This was the most disappointing performance of the season as we were 2-0 up at half time. I made the error (I suppose) of telling them I was thrilled and we got hit hard after the break. Oh well, lesson learnt!

The Club

We're in good shape. The board are very pleased with me and rightly so. I over-achieved in the league, kept the wage budget at £10k (it is £15k max) and have £2m in the bank. We have wonderful prospects coming through, and playing regularly, as well as finally having a unique, successful tactic \o/. Hurrah!

The Future

Continue building my reputation here whilst keeping an eye on potential international jobs. I hope we can continue our league performances and make a push for Champions League next year but I wouldn't be too disappointed if we didn't. We did over achieve this year. The most disappointing thing is seeing Zimbabwean striker Evans Chikwaikwai leave on a free. He is about 20 days away from dual nationality so I don't think we'll be able to keep him. Still holding considerable funds I hope to find an adequate replacement.

Career Summary is updated in my 1st post :)

Summer 2013:

Signed a new contract, upping my wage to £1,400 p/w for the next two seasons.

Chukwaikwai ended up leaving the club sadly meaning we need a new striker or risk it with just one committed striker. I have made two signings so far, a young CM to offer more competition called Jan Mphela. The bigger signing is that of another CB. Colin Ngemo will be joining for a hefty £350k from Platinimum Stars but really does look the business. His defensive attributes (heading/marking and tackling) all being in the high teens. He isn't quick but will be very strong for this league. Can't wait to integrate him into my backline.

I also have a big offer for another centre back Joel Ramolesa for £700k and 20% of future sell on. Now that is a lot of money but my coaches rate him the best out of all my defenders (despite me not rating him quite so highly). I'll ponder it for a while.

Summer 2013:

Signed a new contract, upping my wage to £1,400 p/w for the next two seasons.

Chukwaikwai ended up leaving the club sadly meaning we need a new striker or risk it with just one committed striker. I have made two signings so far, a young CM to offer more competition called Jan Mphela. The bigger signing is that of another CB. Colin Ngemo will be joining for a hefty £350k from Platinimum Stars but really does look the business. His defensive attributes (heading/marking and tackling) all being in the high teens. He isn't quick but will be very strong for this league. Can't wait to integrate him into my backline.

I also have a big offer for another centre back Joel Ramolesa for £700k and 20% of future sell on. Now that is a lot of money but my coaches rate him the best out of all my defenders (despite me not rating him quite so highly). I'll ponder it for a while.

:o Im on 2k and im ***** :D:cool:

Jomo Cosmos just put in a £1.2m offer for him and the chairman accepted :(. Offering him about for £1.6m in the hope I can get a little more. Shame if he goes, he's going to be immense one day.

replacable with that money ?

Well he'll be replaced by the aforementioned £350k signing from Platinum Stars. I had hoped they'd play together but the new boy will just have to take Romesela's place. Shouldn't have too much of an effect.

Also just realised we are entered into the Super Eight Cup this season. Unsurprisingly entrants get in by finishing in the top 8 of the league. We have MP Black Aces in the Quarter Final. This is the team that we lost to in the FA Cup last year after leading 2-0. Revenge time I hope :)

Well he'll be replaced by the aforementioned £350k signing from Platinum Stars. I had hoped they'd play together but the new boy will just have to take Romesela's place. Shouldn't have too much of an effect.

Also just realised we are entered into the Super Eight Cup this season. Unsurprisingly entrants get in by finishing in the top 8 of the league. We have MP Black Aces in the Quarter Final. This is the team that we lost to in the FA Cup last year after leading 2-0. Revenge time I hope :)

Any plans for the money ?

Any plans for the money ?

After offering Ramolesa about he accepted the offer of a club's bid that wasn't accepted by my chairman. So that meant I had the chance to cancel the deal - which I did. The man stays :)

Looks like you've found your feet in South Africa iacovone. :thup: Good luck with the clever boys. ;)

I have to say your trials and tribulations to date have made this a great thread to follow. :thup:

Thanks DodgeeD, glad you're enjoying it. I'm having a lot of fun in this career so far, South Africa is somewhere I've never managed before and didn't expect to enjoy. But its been great!

I thought I'd start to include a few more screenshots in this thread as I'm sure there will be a few interested readers who'd like to see a little more into my career. So here are the four top players at Bidvest Wits:

Edwin Ndlovu

Joel Ramolesa

Colin Ngema

Tsepho Allie

Ndlovu I believe to be one of the best goalkeepers potentially worldwide! I do love him but really expect him to depart in January or the next Summer. He is wanted by a lot of European clubs.

Ngema is the new CB I signed for £350k and is fantastic. Allie is also very talented. Formally a DLR but trained to play wing back on both sides (WBL soon) he is a real asset.

Romolesa is the man who very nearly left for £1.3m. I don't see the hype that much on paper but he seems to be performing well, is so young and I'll try and keep him for now. Its nice to know I can cash in on him though if times get hard.

6th October:

Ronnie Vaughan has just been offered the Cameroon U21 job by Cameroon's manager Paul Le Guen :cool:.

There aren't actually any U21 tournaments for us to get involved in unfortunately so its all friendlies, but at least its a nice intro into international management :D

6th October:

Ronnie Vaughan has just been offered the Cameroon U21 job by Cameroon's manager Paul Le Guen :cool:.

There aren't actually any U21 tournaments for us to get involved in unfortunately so its all friendlies, but at least its a nice intro into international management :D

I havent played an international match yet despite being over a team for around a year in total :(

Who are you in charge of? Pakistan is it? Haha shocking that you've not had a match, do you even have a chance to qualify for the WC? Via success in the Asian Cup perhaps?

Managed them for about 6 months then took over Ghana U20 6 or 7 months ago now and still no matches :D

That 'keeper and centre back look great :eek:

Good luck with the forthcoming season, iacovone!

Thanks Cardio :thup:. The keeper has been awesome for us, very rarely concedes. When he does its always a high ball though, his aerial ability is only a 4 so that is his only real weakness.

Managed them for about 6 months then took over Ghana U20 6 or 7 months ago now and still no matches :D

At least you have U20 World Cup to look forward to!

Just reached 100 games in management. Not bad for a 33 year old :).

The 100th game is against Bay Utd in the Knockout Cup Quarter Final. Should be a win as we're at home and just won 2-0 at their place in the league.

Our league record is looking solid at the moment, 4-5-1 and just two points off 2nd (that is the African CL place). Kaizer Chiefs are again storming the league but fortunately are out of the Knockout Cup so its open for the taking! Fingers crossed.

December 2013

A few Bidvest Wits records are tumbling this season. We have just gone 12 games unbeaten (new record) as well as not conceding in 6 games! To say our defence is miserly is an understatment. We have only conceded 10 goals in 19 games in all competitions :)

We just beat runaway leaders Kaizer Chiefs 1-0 at home and next up have Ajax CT in the Knockout Cup Final. I hope we can win my first career trophy here. We drew with Ajax CT in the league earlier in the year.

Glad to see you settled down and getting some good results.

Is it still the tight 3-2-2-2-1 formation in operation? What are the board expectations for your club?

I now have a 4-4-2 formation that basically took one of the CB's of the 3-2-2-2-1 formation and moved him up front. Same player instructions so we are still very solid defensively but offer a little more going forward. I still want to stick with the 3-2-2-2-1 formation but I've had no choice at times due to injuries.

The board want mid-table so there's no real pressure on me.

I'm delighted to inform you that I've gone and claimed my first career trophy :). We went 1-0 down to Ajax CT after an uncharacteristic blunder from my keeper but we fought back admirably. Surprise package of the season Emanuel Emanike with two great goals! The board and fans are delighted with the trophy (our first since 1995), as am I. We are still going very strong in the league and with a win in our game in hand will go 2nd. I've built a really strong side here and I hope we can finsih in the top 2 to make the African Champions League. The only problem is I will have to sell a few of these 'wonderkids' in the summer as they are all having their heads turned by a move to Europe. Still, for as long as they're here I will enjoy it.

Well the chairman has used January to allow this man to leave the club. He wasn't actually starting as the other CBs at the club have been breaking records all season so whilst I'm disappointed to see a promising player leave, I'm happy to have a fresh £1m come into the coffers. Unfortunately he was sold to Moroka Swallows in our division. Its not ideal but they aren't major contenders at the top at the moment. I also decided to cash in on 31 year old AMC Brian Kgafane for £400k. He'd been good this year but it was a good price and we have a number of useful young MCs coming through.

Gutted :(. The great man has just damaged his hip. Out for 3 months and basically the whole of the season :thdn:. Going to really struggle to make the top 2 without him now. Combined with this Ryan Chapman my other striker is out for 2 months with torn knee ligaments. Two bad injuries in February have scuppered our chances.

Just caught up with this iacovone after being away over xmas and new year. What a transformation your career has taken over the past couple of weeks. Shame it didn't work out in Asia but it looks as if you're finding your feet in SA. Good luck with the Clever Boys! :thup:

Just caught up with this iacovone after being away over xmas and new year. What a transformation your career has taken over the past couple of weeks. Shame it didn't work out in Asia but it looks as if you're finding your feet in SA. Good luck with the Clever Boys! :thup:

Thanks Raware, good to hear you're retaining an interest :thup:

April 2014

Just secured a massive penalty shoot out win over runaway leaders Kaizer Chiefs in the South African FA Cup Quarter Finals! The remaining sides are Platinum Stars (14th), Bay Utd (16th) and Dynamos (7th). Its another very winnable competition for us. :)

Not happy, my chairman has sold another of my CMs behind my back. Went to Finland for £400k meaning I now have to play a youngster in there. I had a go at the chairman in the media saying its a ridiculous situation and we can't go on like this. I also said we have a rocky relationship. May not have been that wise but I have to defend my own position to the fans!

In the SA FA Cup Semis we got drawn against Dynamos away. Its not the best draw as they are the highest placed remaining side. But hopefully we can nick a win and move into the Final.

Archived