[FM10] Champions of Asia? No Fukien chance!

Raware

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I live in Hong Kong

Me too. Do you play the HK leagues in FM?

We want 200 Fukien goals from you Bae Chun Suk!

Me too! Although at 29 years old now, I reckon 300 will be the most he can get. Still, i'd be happy with that!

Another normal Fukien season there Raware. How are the HK national team doing with those naturalized players?

It was actually the first season where we truly domianted as we won all of the domestic trophies to claim our first quadruple. The HK national team are doing quite well now. They've gone from being ranked 155th in the world in 2017 to 115th now and finished 4th in the Asian Challenge Cup. We're now the primary source for them for players (as opposed to South China) as we've got 11 players in the senior squad.

I want 3000 to be honest but each to their own

If he can score around 500 a season for the next few years I reckon he could still do it!

How are the Fukien training and youth facilities? improving them could help in the long run towards ACL success. Keep at it.

They're not that great. The training facilities are classed as fairly basic and the youth facilties are basic. Although we've just received news of another upgrade of the youth facilities which makes it 2 years in a row now so hopefully we can start producing some good talent.

These 'Fukien' puns (whether intentional or not) are making me laugh

:D

Great stuff Raware. The ACL knockout rounds must be the only target left for you now!

Speaking of short/long seasons, Hong Kong seasons have whizzed by for me after my seasons in Mexico on FM09 - one season there I had about 85 club games (after taking the Mexico job, it got nearer to 100!) :eek: I got up to 2023 in that save but had I played the same amount of time on a nother save, I would have been up to 2035 at least.

Cheers DodgeeD. Yeah, I think that's all that's left now, for Fukien at least. If i'm honest though i'm not sure if i'll ever win the ACL with Fukien as we can't attract the calibre of player we need compared to leagues like Japan, China and South Korea. Whether I stay or move elsewhere to win the ACL is the question though.

That's what I like about the HK league; I can fly through them. I remember reading your Estudiantes thread and remember how many games you played in a season :eek:. That's too many for me.

Shouldn't be long before the national team come knocking.

I actually applied for the HK national job in 2014 but got turned down. With them doing quite well now and having appointed Lai Kai Cheuk, who's only 42 and not looking like retiring anytime soon, I think it may be some time before I get the chance to apply again.

Another great season there Raware. Time to buy another trophy cabinet perhaps? Or maybe you need a whole room to store all of your trophies now!

Our first quadruple! Our first of many more I hope! That makes it 13 cups and 6 league titles in 9 years so I may need a bigger trophy cabinet.

Cheers for all your comments guys. It's good to know you're following my progress :thup:

The HK league is quite a short one with 10 teams playing each other twice, so yeah, 18 games. But then you've got 3 cup competitions (FA Cup, League Cup and Senior Shield) and then the continental cups. Still, you can whizz through seasons at a fair pace and that's one of the reasons why I like playing in this league. As much as I love England and English football, sometimes 46 games plus cups can seem to drag on forever!

One of the things that's put me off applying for a Chilean second-division job in my save is that you have the apertura-clausura split season, and in each you play all of your opponents home and away, for a total of 52 games. :eek:

One of the things that's put me off applying for a Chilean second-division job in my save is that you have the apertura-clausura split season, and in each you play all of your opponents home and away, for a total of 52 games.

:eek::eek::eek: That's just too many...for me anyway. It's starts to feel like a drag when the season lasts so long, but each to their own. I know some people who love the long seasons (they must be crazy!;))

A nice 30- to 34-game season is best, IMO.

Short seasons (like Hong Kong's, apparently), I feel like I'd have no time to recover when my poor managerial skills put us in the hole early. :D

Completely agree :thup:. 38 in Scotland, which is just fine by me

• 2 weeks later...

As I said in my opening post of this thread, I began playing this save aiming to follow rancer’s Asian challenge rules, but should an offer come along too good to refuse I’d have to think about whether I’d take it or not. So, when FC Seoul unexpectedly came calling at the end of the HK season, it was definitely something I had to think about.

After taking Fukien from obscurity to champions of Hong Kong 6 years in a row and winning numerous cups, including the Asian Confederation Cup 3 times during my 9 year tenure, I feel I’ve taken them as far as I can now. It was always going to be difficult winning the Asian Champions League and Club World Championship with a small Hong Kong team and I don’t think I’ll ever manage to achieve that. It felt right that I left now after completing an unprecedented domestic quadruple this season :D.

So I asked the FC Seoul board for a week to think things over and when they came back I decided to accept their offer in which they’ve given me a 2 and a half year contract on £1,100 per week. They’re halfway through their current season and are under achieving massively. They’re expected to be amongst the top teams in the K-League but are currently languishing in 9th. The squad looks pretty decent with Robinho the pick of the players. I’ve never managed in South Korea before so it’ll be interesting to see how I do.

FCSeoul.gif

Founded in 1983, FC Seoul are a professional South Korean club currently playing in the K-League. The club play their home games at Seoul World Cup Stadium and possess average training facilities and an adequate youth set up. The Seoul reserve team play at Guri Training Stadium. The club retains a fierce rivalry with Suwon Samsung Blue Wings.

As a club which enjoyed it’s best spell of success during the 2000s and their last competition win coming as recently as 2014, Seoul are a club with a growing history. Seoul finished runners-up in the Asian Champions League in 2002, won the South Korean top division in 1985, 1990 and 2000 and finished runners-up on six occasions, won the FA Cup in 1998 and 2010, and won the Super Cup in 2001 and finished runners-up once.

*Information taken from FM10 when I took charge at FC Seoul

Great move for you Raware :thup:. As you say, you can't turn that down, and in reality you've probably taken Fukien as far as you can. At least at Seoul you will have a chance at continental glory. Robinho looks amazingly good for S Korean football!

Great move for you Raware. As you say, you can't turn that down, and in reality you've probably taken Fukien as far as you can. At least at Seoul you will have a chance at continental glory. Robinho looks amazingly good for S Korean football!

Cheers iacovone. Yeah, I think it's best that I move now. It feels right too, I had fun at Fukien though :). I couldn't believe my luck when I saw Robinho on their books, I thought it was the Robinho ;). But this one isn't that bad! Amazingly the previous manager got him from Cruzeiro for £500!

Good look in Korea raware - probably the right move after all those years at Fukien. I assume the ACL will be the goal here.

Thanks DodgeeD. Yep, ACL will be the main goal now after struggling in it with Fukien. Although i've gotta think about the K-League first as Suwon and Ulsan have been the dominant force for the past few years in South Korea.

Definately the right decision in my mind Raware. Robinho looks awesome, he should rip apart South Korea if you manage to keep hold of him! :thup:

Thanks hamilton. You know sometimes when you move clubs after success with your previous club, you sometimes wonder if you've made the right decision but I think it's the right move. Better league, better players and the next logical step even if it means me failing rancer's challenge :(. Whether I can have as much success with FC Seoul as I did with Fukien though remains to be seen! :)

Raware, I am not pleased at all you failed my challenge. :thdn:;) But nonetheless good luck with FC Seoul. :D

It's going to be tough in South Korea (Ulsan, Pohang - also the 2009 ACL champions, Suwon, and Busan are the tough teams IRL), but hope you can turn it around with them. :thup:

Raware, I am not pleased at all you failed my challenge. But nonetheless good luck with FC Seoul.

It's going to be tough in South Korea (Ulsan, Pohang - also the 2009 ACL champions, Suwon, and Busan are the tough teams IRL), but hope you can turn it around with them.

I know...I feel like such a failure :(;). I tried but I just didn't think I could take Fukien any further. The gulf in class between the Confederation Cup and the Champions League was just too big and with the HK league rating being quite poor, I don't think i'd ever have attracted the calibre of player needed to go on to achieve your challenge. I thought I did a decent job though bringing 6 league titles and 13 cups (3 Confederation Cups) to little unknown Fukien in 9 years :D.

Nevertheless, i'm at a big(ish) club now so Champions League glory maybe a possibility. But as you say, it's going to be tough as i've got to topple the likes of Suwon, Ulsan, Pohang and Busan first!

Now this save has turned into a multi club career, you never know where i'll end up in Asia. I could even try your challenge again in the future! :D.

FC Seoul - South Korean K-League - 2019

Media Prediction : 4th

Board Expectations : Compete alongside the top teams

The media were expecting us to finish 4th and the board were expecting us to compete with the other big teams in the league, but as I only took over halfway through the season, the board informed me that they wouldn’t be judging me in this competition which came as a bit of a relief if I’m honest as for us to finish in the top 4/5 seemed a difficult challenge after the poor start before I arrived.

League Table/League Progress : After the poor start the club had which saw them at one point sit bottom of the league, I took over after 13 games with them sat in 9th place. With half of the season left it was up to me to try and establish at least some kind of consistency and put us back up the league where we were expected to be. While we didn’t make giant steps, I was pleased at the consistency shown and the slight climb up the table we made which eventually saw us finish 7th, just out of the play-off zone.

FA Cup : We had a really difficult route to the final in which we faced probably the best teams in the country. We showed some great character though and managed to go on and claim the cup in my debut season for only the 3rd time in the clubs history :D.

League Cup Fixtures/League Cup Group : We were out of this competition when I arrived but it goes without saying that we massively under achieved as we failed to make it out of the group stage.

Transfers : Transfer budget : £342k / Wage budget : £41.48k p/w. The club brought in a few faces before I arrived and I was particularly pleased with Robinho who they brought in who looks like a great signing for us. When I arrived I felt we needed a few more faces, most notably in defence so I wasted no time in bringing in defenders Kim Jong-Min and Jeong Keun-Ho, keeper Je Kyung-Ho, left winger Giri Nuriel and forward Oleg Tursunov.

Squad : The squad looked quite bare when I took charge so the 5 players I signed helped to make it a little deeper. Robinho and Giri Nuriel were quite pivotal in our season and are undoubtedly key to any push for success we make. However, it was Dragutin Mihanovic who stood out from everyone else as he bagged 21 goals in 24 games to finish as the leagues 3rd top goal scorer which helped fire us back up the table where narrowly missed out on a title challenge via the play-offs. We definitely need to add to the squad but with our foreign player limit at it’s maximum (3 foreigners plus 1 foreign Asian player) we must look to home nationals during the off season.

Career Summary

Season   Team		League			Position  Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010/11  Fukien		Hong Kong 1st Division    4th     -       
2011/12  Fukien		Hong Kong 1st Division    5th     -     
2012/13  Fukien		Hong Kong 1st Division    2nd     1st Div runners-up
2013/14  Fukien		Hong Kong 1st Division    1st     [b]1st Div winners[/b]
				   		  [b]League Cup winners[/b]
				                  [b]Senior Shield winners[/b] 
2014/15  Fukien		Hong Kong 1st Division    1st     [b]1st Div winners[/b]
		                   		  League Cup runners-up
		                   		  [b]Senior Sheild winners[/b]
		                   		  [b]Asian Confederation Cup winners[/b]
2015/16  Fukien		Hong Kong 1st Division    1st     [b]1st Div winners[/b]
		                   		  FA Cup runners-up
2016/17  Fukien		Hong Kong 1st Division    1st     [b]1st Div winners[/b]
		                   		  [b]FA Cup winners[/b]
2017/18  Fukien		Hong Kong 1st Division    1st     [b]1st Div winners[/b]
		                   		  [b]FA Cup winners[/b]
		                   		  Senior Sheild runners-up
2018/19  Fukien		Hong Kong 1st Division    1st     [b]1st Div winners[/b]
				   		  [b]FA Cup winners[/b]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2019	 FC Seoul  	South Korean K-League     7th     [b]FA Cup winners[/b]

Solid year Raware, with a trophy to boot. :D

You have several quality players, I think just several depth South Korean signings and you will be able to challenge for the title and get back to the Champions League. :)

Or are you already back to the Champions League, since you won the FA Cup? :D

Solid year Raware, with a trophy to boot.

You have several quality players, I think just several depth South Korean signings and you will be able to challenge for the title and get back to the Champions League.

Or are you already back to the Champions League, since you won the FA Cup?

Cheers rancer. It's always difficult to take over a club halfway through the year who are bereft of confidence and struggling so I was pleased with how the season turned out, especially the surprising cup win :D.

Considering the players they had before I arrived, i'm surprised at how much they struggled. As you say, a few more good South Korean signings and we should be back amongst it.

Last years FA Cup winners, Daejeon, wern't entered into any continental competitions this year so I don't think we'll be playing Champions League football next season. I guess we'll just have to win the league next season! :D;)

Good season :thup: plus an F.A. Cup to keep everyone happy while you plot your assault on the league for next season.

Searching for Home National players sounds like a challenge that you are accustomed to. Are South Korean players any easier to come across than Hong Kong Nationals? Do you know of the rules and time span regarding attaining S.Korean Citizenship?

Good season :thup: plus an F.A. Cup to keep everyone happy while you plot your assault on the league for next season.

Searching for Home National players sounds like a challenge that you are accustomed to. Are South Korean players any easier to come across than Hong Kong Nationals? Do you know of the rules and time span regarding attaining S.Korean Citizenship?

That's the big difference i've noticed in South Korea, the home nationals are of a lot more quality than the Hong Kongese. Plus in Hong Kong, citizenship takes 7 years to gain (2 for Chinese players) where as in South Korea it only takes 5 years. However, in Hong Kong you can sign as many foreigners as you want in the team but can only have 8 in the match day squad; South Korea you can only have 3 foreigners plus 1 Asian foreigner making it 4 foreigners in the whole team (not match day squad), making depending on home nationals very important. Plus only South Korean keepers are allowed, no foreign keepers at all.

Nice cup win to give the fans a taste of what's to come. :thup:

Interesting rule on the goalkeepers - I haven't seen that one before! At least with the foreigner rules, you can keep pretty much the same first XI for all your games, domestic and continental.

Interesting rule on the goalkeepers - I haven't seen that one before! At least with the foreigner rules, you can keep pretty much the same first XI for all your games, domestic and continental.

Well the Chinese leagues also have that rule as well. Didn't know South Korea had the same rule as China though, and the other match day rules are also identical to the Chinese leagues.

Raware, hope you get a top 4 finish next season to get back to Asia. :)

Ha ha, you're more optimistic than me DodgeeD! :D I hope you're right about tasting more of what's to come.

That's a good point you make about keeping the same side for domestic and continental competitions. As you experienced like me, the dependance on foreigners in HK is massive so at least I won't have that.

Well the Chinese leagues also have that rule as well. Didn't know South Korea had the same rule as China though, and the other match day rules are also identical to the Chinese leagues.

Raware, hope you get a top 4 finish next season to get back to Asia. :)

I hope we can push for a top 4 place too, that's what the board are demanding this year so anything else and it could cost me my job.

Out of interest rancer, i've never played in China so i'm not familiar with the rules. Hopefully, i'll venture there sometime during this save so I was wondering about their rules. I saw that they have the same match day rules as S.Korea but how about the rule about foreigners in the whole squad? Can you have as many foreigners as you like but only play 4 in the matchday squad? That's what i'm finding difficult in S.Korea, not being able to sign more than 4 foreigners so there's no option to buy more foreigners and rotate them.

Out of interest rancer, i've never played in China so i'm not familiar with the rules. Hopefully, i'll venture there sometime during this save so I was wondering about their rules. I saw that they have the same match day rules as S.Korea but how about the rule about foreigners in the whole squad? Can you have as many foreigners as you like but only play 4 in the matchday squad? That's what i'm finding difficult in S.Korea, not being able to sign more than 4 foreigners so there's no option to buy more foreigners and rotate them.

In China, there's no limit of the amount of foreigners to sign, but the matchday squad rules still apply. But I don't sign more than 4 foreigners anyways since they are on massive wages and it's best for you to just sign the best young South Korean talent (I had a solid scouting network in China), and scout the national youth as well. I'm not sure if FC Seoul are that rich compared to Ulsan, Pohang, and Busan but you must get the best South Korean youngsters on your team to do well in the league.

And there was a bug in the first patch where Chinese clubs kept signing foreigners and not Chinese players and this was fixed in the second patch. I haven't played in Asia on the new patch but it's possible that the user (and AI managers) are prevented from signing more than 4 foreigners to deal with the problem.

In China, there's no limit of the amount of foreigners to sign, but the matchday squad rules still apply. But I don't sign more than 4 foreigners anyways since they are on massive wages and it's best for you to just sign the best young South Korean talent (I had a solid scouting network in China), and scout the national youth as well. I'm not sure if FC Seoul are that rich compared to Ulsan, Pohang, and Busan but you must get the best South Korean youngsters on your team to do well in the league.

And there was a bug in the first patch where Chinese clubs kept signing foreigners and not Chinese players and this was fixed in the second patch. I haven't played in Asia on the new patch but it's possible that the user (and AI managers) are prevented from signing more than 4 foreigners to deal with the problem.

Cheers rancer :thup:. It may be a while before/if I head to China but at least I know the transfer rules now :)

I've already sent my scouts out and about to find some good, young S.Korean players. As you say and as i've noticed, you've gotta have some good home nationals to have a chance of doing well in the K-League.

I'm still on 10.0.1 and noticed in HK the AI buying too many foreigners (I think Kitchee had 12 Spanish players at one point!).

Korea_Football_Association.png

After just over a year now in South Korea and with aspirations to manage on an international level at somepoint during this save, it was a pleasant surprise when this offer dropped on my desk. Needless to say I accepted and am looking forward to this chapter of my career. With only friendlies due in the next year until the under 20's World Cup next season, it'll give me a chance to see what the youth is like in South Korea and hopefully find a few gems in the process for my club side, FC Seoul :D.

Haha! So in your save you are the U20s manager while in mine I'm the U19s manager.

Good luck - should be a good chance to become favoured personnel for some up and coming youngsters.

It seems we're living in a parallel FM world! :D.

I'm hoping that this job means I can get a step ahead in finding some good South Korean youth and, as you say, becoming their favoured personnel :D

Very cool.

:cool: Hopefully it can be a stepping stone for a chance at managing the full squad.

FC Seoul - South Korean K-League - 2020

Media Prediction : 7th

Board Expectations : Continental qualification through the league

With last years performances in mind the media lowered the expectation on us as they predicted us to finish 7th. The board however wanted continental qualification which meant a top 4 finish.

League Table/League play-offs/League Progress : We started really well and after 9 or 10 games we opened up a slight gap on the chasing pack. We maintained our league form throughout the rest of the season to finish 1st and qualify for the league play-offs. Despite finishing 1st we didn’t win the league as the top 6 qualify for a league title play-off with the winner of 3rd v 6th and 4th v 5th playing each other, with the winner of that playing 2nd and the winner of that playing 1st (:confused: confusing I know!). So for us to finish 1st meant we only had to play the final which gave us a chance to rest players. Our opponents on the other hand, Busan, had finished 6th and had little time to rest due to the amount of play-off games they had. That showed as we trounced them 6-1 at their place in the 1st leg and won 2-1 in the 2nd leg to claim the title for the first time in 20 years! :D

FA Cup : We were out to defend our title this year but failed to do so as we were knocked out in the Quarter’s in extra time by bitter rivals Suwon. Needless to say the board and fans weren’t happy losing to our most hated rivals.

League Cup : We went straight into the draw for the knockout stage of this competition this year. I’m not quite sure why but I’m not complaining as it meant we didn’t have to play the 10 games in the group stage which gave us some time to rest players for other competitions. We made it to the final but unfortunately we were made to rue our missed chances as Ulsan capitalised and scored the winner in extra time :(.

Transfers : Transfer budget : £582k / Wage budget : £51.27k p/w. As I said at the end of last season, we had look to home nationals during the off season as our foreign player limit was at it’s maximum. The South Koreans we brought in were Hwang Hong-Chul, Hwang Hyun-Chul, Jeong Hee-Suk, Kim Jong-Min II and Song Se-Joon who all look like promising players especially Song Se-Joon, who I’m told could go on to be a leading star in the K-League. With Robinho and Mihanovic integral parts of the squad last year, I was disappointed to see them leave but £1.5 million and £3.5 million offers for them were too good to turn down and I felt we could find adequate replacements for them while making a tidy profit. The 2 players we brought in to replace them were Serafim who doesn’t look as good as Robinho but I’m told will be a good player in the K-League and Ricardo Saiz who had a fine debut season, netting 20 goals in the process.

Squad : Despite winning the league, the squad isn’t the strongest in the league and I still feel we need a few more quality home nationals as 7 players retired at the end of last season leaving us a little bare especially if we suffer an injury crisis. Plus a couple more (Sokolowski and Lee Keun-Ho) are in their mid-30’s and probably only have another year in them. I’m happy with the foreigners we have, especially Saiz who stepped into Mihanovic’s shoes with minimal fuss as he bagged 20 goals in 24 games.

The success of our year was shown as 3 end of year awards were awarded to us. Song Se-Joon won the K-League Goalkeeper of the Year award, Joo Sung-Jin won the K-League Young Player of the Year award and I claimed the K-League Manager of the Year award :D.

Career Summary

League Cup runners-up
		                   		  FA Cup runners-up
		                   		  [b]FA Cup winners[/b]
		                   		  [b]FA Cup winners[/b]
		                   		  Senior Sheild runners-up
				   		  [b]FA Cup winners[/b]
2020     FC Seoul	South Korean K-League     1st     [b]K-League winners[/b]
						  League Cup runners-up

South Korea Under 20’s - 2020

After accepting the job as manager of South Korea under 20’s towards the end of the season, only one game was played in which I managed this year. That was a friendly against Indonesia in which we suffered a disappointing 1-0 defeat. I’m not quite sure what I’ve let myself in for here as their results have been quite poor this year. It looks as if the quality just isn’t there compared to other nation’s under 20’s teams but nevertheless it’s a good stepping stone into international management whatever the results.

As I said, the Fa Cup last season was a taste of things to come. ;)

Good luck with the title defence and ACL campaign. :thup:

I should've listened to you! ;)

It'll be interesting to see how we fair in the ACL seeing as that was the main reason for me moving to South Korea. Hopefully we can fair better than when I was at Fukien.

Great season Raware :thup:. What's your reputation now? I assume continental?

World class :eek: which i'm quite surprised at.

Should've stayed at Fukien IMO.

I think I took them as far as I could. I was dominating domestically and needed more of a challenge. 3 Confederation cups for a club the size of Fukien weren't bad. The gap in quality between the ACC and the ACL was massive and considering the reputation of the HK league (and the much talked about lack of dynamic league rep), it was always going to be a mammoth, if not impossible task to get players of the required calibre to compete in Asia's top competition. It felt right for me to leave when I did and the offer from Seoul could potentially help me realise my ambition of winning the ACL and improving my reputation (which it has) to go on and manage internationally...

...maybe i'll go back one day though :).

Fukien almost had another clean sweep in their first year without me. They won the league, the Senior Shield and the League Cup and finished as runners up in the Asian Confederation Cup. They crashed out of the FA Cup in the Quarter's after losing to Sha Tin on pens and i've just missed out on meeting them in the Asian Champions League groups :( ...now that would've been nice. I may even have gave them the 2 wins just to see them have a chance of progressing! :D.

I've already sent them a few "hot prospects" in the hope they can make a difference for Fukien.

Good to see Fukien have qualified for the groups. I watched the draw and we just missed out on being paired with them by one team. It was Suwon (our rivals) who were pulled out before us :(. Maybe i'll meet them in the knockout stages (providing we both qualify! :p).

FC Seoul - South Korean K-League - 2021

Media Prediction : 2nd

Board Expectations : Win the league

The media were expecting us to be there or there abouts this year and predicted us to finish 2nd behind arch rivals Suwon. However, nothing but retaining our title would do for the board which put the pressure on me slightly.

League Table/League play-offs/League Progress : We made a decent start to the season in which we managed to keep up with fellow title challengers Suwon, Incheon, Ulsan and Pohang. With momentum gathering and form becoming consistent, it wasn’t long before we began to pull away from the chasing pack and by the halfway mark we found ourselves sat top of the table. This is where we stayed for much of the season until the season reached its latter stages as our form dipped slightly allowing Incheon to grab top spot with 4 games to go. They faltered however and we managed to regain top spot on the last day of the season meaning we would only have to play the final of the play-offs. The play-offs came around and as suspected it was Incheon who met us in the final. The 1st leg saw us win comfortably 3-0 with the 2nd leg pretty much the same story as we cruised to a 1-0 victory leaving us to claim our 2nd successive K-League title!

FA Cup : After last years disappointing exit at the quarter final stage I wanted to make up for it by claiming the trophy this year. We made it all the way to the final only to lose on penalties to, once again arch rivals Suwon after dominating the entire game.

League Cup : Nothing to say about this competition other than abysmal. I’ll be expecting more next season.

Pan Pacific Championship : An annual competition with the champions of South Korea, China, U.S.A and Japan. It felt nothing more than a Mickey Mouse cup but I was still pleased at claiming this trophy for the first time in the clubs history.

Asian Champions League : This is the cup I was still striving for, the holy grail if you like, so I was pleased with our performances which took us all the way to the final. We had a few scares along the way, namely from Saudi team Al-Qadisiyah in the quarters but we scraped through where we went on to demolish another Saudi team, Al-Ahli in the final to realise my ambition of winning the Champions League and becoming Champions of Asia! :D

Club World Championship : Only the 2nd ever appearance in this competition for FC Seoul saw us reach the Semi Final where we were totally outplayed by Italian and Champions League winners Roma. We managed to beat New York Red Bulls (iacovone;)) though in the third place play-off though to finish in 3rd.

Transfers : Transfer budget : £3M / Wage budget : £58.31k p/w. With our foreign player limit still at it’s maximum we had no choice but to look for players with South Korean nationality. We brought in Ha Jin-Yong, Lee Kyung-Keun and Lee Sang-Hoon for a combined total of £2.3 million who looked like decent buys and youngsters Kim Hyun-Seong and Oh Seong-Ho who are buys for the future. But it was this guy, Denis Bulatov, a Belarussian with South Korean nationality who proved to be the best buy and probably the best £1.2 million I’ve ever spent as he smashed in 42 goals in 48 games to claim the K-League top goalscorer award! Players leaving the club were mainly youngsters who had no future at the club. (I’ve still got players on the transfer history list that weren’t actually at the club. I’ve still no idea why they appear :confused:)

Squad : I still don’t feel the squad is as strong as it needs to be and it definitely needs a few more quality defenders. I’m happy with the attacking side of it though and I can safely say we have some of the best players in Asia. The midfield is looking strong with Gili Nuriel bagging a record 38 assists which helped him on his way to claiming both the Most assists of the year award and the K-League Player of the Year award and the forward line is looking really prolific as Denis Bulatov and Ricardo Saiz netted 87 goals between them! :eek:. Goalkeeper Song Se-Joon continued his impressive rise to stardom as he claimed the K-League Goalkeeper of the Year award for the 2nd successive year and also grabbed 2 caps for the full national squad. It isn’t all looking rosy though as with our success has come higher profiles for the players, leading to bigger clubs sniffing around some of my players. This has caused some unrest amongst the squad in which Song Se-Joon, Gili Nuriel, Joo Sung-Jin and Ricardo Saiz have all stated their desire to leave and seek their fortunes with bigger clubs. They’re still under contract for a couple more seasons so I’ll have to see if I can negotiate new contracts or sell them on to make a good profit.

The success of our year was shown as we claimed 2 more trophies; Oleg Tursunov claimed the K-League Foreign Player of the Year award and I grabbed the K-League Manager of the Year award.

Career Summary

League Cup runners-up
		                   		  FA Cup runners-up
		                   		  [b]FA Cup winners[/b]
		                   		  [b]FA Cup winners[/b]
		                   		  Senior Sheild runners-up
				   		  [b]FA Cup winners[/b]
2020     FC Seoul	South Korean K-League     1st     [b]K-League winners[/b]
						  League Cup runners-up
2021	 FC Seoul	South Korean K-League     1st     [b]K-League winners[/b]
						  FA Cup runners-up 
						  [b]Asian Champions League winners[/b]
						  [b]Pan Pacific Championship winners[/b]

South Korea Under 20’s - 2021

South Korea under 20’s fixtures

The first half of the season was all about warm up games for the upcoming under 20’s World Cup. We had some decent results but I would’ve liked to have won some of the games by bigger margins; nevertheless I felt it was good preparation for the under 20’s World Cup. September saw the start of the under 20’s World Cup begin which was hosted in Nigeria. We were placed in a tricky group along side Brazil, Slovakia and Burundi. After a spirited defeat to Brazil we dug in and managed to claim 4 points out of the remaining 2 games which saw us qualify for the knockout stages. Some good displays against China, Czech Republic and Mexico ensured a surprise appearance in the final. However, we were brought back down to earth with a mighty bump as Argentina thrashed us 4-0.

This result signalled my resignation of the South Korean under 20’s team. I had a good couple of years there and it was a good stepping stone for any future international posts I may take but I felt it was right that I left and concentrate fully on club football with FC Seoul.

International Career Summary

Year      Country       	     Competition              Achievements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2021      South Korea under 20's     Under 20's World Cup     Runners-up

Archived