FM10: English small club to big club challenge: extended edition

Guest roberto922

Thanks guys, I agree with daemonic, the most difficult part of the challenge is just the will to stay with it. Rising through the leagues was easy because our reputation had time to grow and we could always attract good free transfer players released from the league above us.

I'm not sure if we'll retain our wins this season, have aimed to make more money and just sign free squad players again. Hope it doesn't backfire.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just started a save with this database last night. Starting out with Greenwood Meadows FC in the East Midlands Counties League (level 10). Being from the USA, I know zip about the leagues below the Conference North/South. Should be fun.

Just started a save with this database last night. Starting out with Greenwood Meadows FC in the East Midlands Counties League (level 10). Being from the USA, I know zip about the leagues below the Conference North/South. Should be fun.

I don't think anyone here knows much about football at level 10...what you will learn is the players are awful ;)

Get players with decent physical stats and you'll be fine for a few years. Best of luck :thup:

I don't think anyone here knows much about football at level 10...what you will learn is the players are awful ;)

Get players with decent physical stats and you'll be fine for a few years. Best of luck :thup:

Welcome to the challenge and good luck keeper#1 :thup:

I've played one league game so far. Won 1-0. The players look like they're running in slow motion. It also looks like we weren't good enough to qualify for the 1st qualifying round of the FA Cup. The only cup we're scheduled to play in, so far, is the East Midlands Counties League Cup (I believe that's the correct name...there are so many damn cups, I can't keep them all straight).

Guest roberto922

I'm an expert on Wigan RP. Honest I am. Nah, most of us know sod all about these leagues.

EDIT: wp Proto, you should post in here more! :)

Season 10 - Rayners Lane - Championship - 12th

League Table

The players:

GK

Simon Marsden

He is captain and he is 23 - enough said.

DL(Full back, support)

Andre Byles

Promising left back, played fantastic at the end of the season.

Jeremy Helan

Inconsistent and became second choice at the end of the season.

DR(Full back, support)

Lubomir Novosad

Very important and consistent player

DC(Limited defender, defend)

Halidor Akason

Decent player, plays surprisingly well(at least for me)

Stewart Osbourne

January signing, very promising

ML(Winger, attack)

Rui Rodrigues

Very fast left winger, one of the most important players

Jose Manuel

Backup left winger

MR(Winger, attack)

Tomasz Kupisz

First choice right winger

MR(Wide midfielder, attack)

Tommy Stephens

Backup right winger, January signing. Very disappointing so far.

MCd(Ball winning midfielder, defend)

Andrew Crofts

Bought him to be a backup for Bill Moran but played great and became first choice

Bill Moran

Not the best season from him but he is still young.

MCa(Advanced playmaker, support)

Carl Winchester

January signing, disappointing so far.

Kristoffer Virtanen

Played great, pity he's on loan and too expensive

ST(Poacher)

Charlie Burgess

Player of the season, I hope to loan him again next season.

ST(Deep-lying forward, support)

Ignacio Velasco Young and talented striker, unfortunately he wants to move.

ST(Poacher/Deep-lying forward)

Jason Rhodes

Very promising young talent

ML(Winger, attack)/AML(Inside forward, attack)/ST(Advanced forward, attack)

Robert Hart

Not the best player but can cover a lot of positions and is happy with his role.

Season  League Position   
09/10    L10     1st
10/11    L9      1st
11/12    L8      1st 
12/13    L7      1st 
13/14    BSS     1st
14/15    BSN     2nd
15/16    L2      5th
16/17    L1      13th (we were deducted 10 points, otherwise we could have been 9th)
17/18    L1      5th
18/19    CCC     12th

AFC Liverpool - Coca-Cola League 2 - 2015/16

Transfers

Despite a huge transfer budget of 2m I stuck with a few loans and some freebies with the one purchase costing the princely sum of 1k. Best signing may be the end of season signing of Scott Parker, he's 35 now but still top quality for a League One side.

Coca-Cola League 2

Predicted: 24th | Final Position: WINNERS | Graph

Predicted 24th we did what we've done every season so far and thrashed everyone, sealing promotion with 9 games to spare and the title with 8 games left. After that form dipped a little but we still ended the season unbeaten, 35 points clear of second place Bristol Rovers and with a GD of +101.

FA Cup - Third Round

Hammered Oldham and Frickley before Man City gave us a hiding.

League Cup - First Round

Fell at the first hurdle to Championship side, Nottingham Forest.

Johnston Paint Trophy - North Second Round

Knocked out in our first game after getting a bye in the first round, embarrassing.

Liverpool County FA Senior Cup - Semi-Final

Liverpool bloody Reserves beat us again.

Other News

Finances

Very healthy again as we played to a capacity crowd during about half our home games. The 4400 capacity is likely to be a problem next season though.

Club Records

Awards

N/A

Stars

Most Assists: Brahim Zenafi - 25

Most Goals: Brice Benferhat & Marvin Crosby - 23

Most MoM: Brice Benferhat - 6

Highest Avg Rating: Brahim Zenafi - 7.42

Fans Player of the Year: Brice Benferhat

Best Eleven: Season | Overall

Luke Powell continues to add to his impressive appearance and goals tally with 180 goals in 356 games.

AFC Liverpool Trophy Room

Coca-Cola League Two x 1 - 2015/16

Blue Square Premier x 1 - 2014/15

FA Trophy x 2 - 2013/14, 2014/15

Blue Square North x 1 - 2013/14

FA Vase x 2 - 2009/10, 2010/11

Northern Premier League Premier Division x 1 2012/13

Northern Premier League First Division South x 1 - 2011/12

Northern League Challenge Cup x 2 - 2011/12, 2012/13

Northern League President's Cup x 1 - 2011/12

North West Counties Premier Division x 1 - 2010/11

North West Counties Division One x 1 - 2009/10

North West Counties Challenge Cup x 2 - 2009/10, 2010/11

North West Counties Division One Trophy x 1 - 2009/10

Career History

Season   League       Pos.  FA Cup   FA Vase/    Lge Cups    Europe      Achievements
                                    FA Trophy
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
2009/10  NWC 1  (L10) 1st   4th Ql.  FAV Wnrs    NWCCC Wnrs  N/A         NWC Div 1 Champions, FA Vase,
                                                                        NWCC Cup, NWC Div 1 Trophy 
2010/11  NWC Prm (L9) 1st   1st Rnd. FAV Wnrs    NWCCC Wnrs  N/A         NWC Prm Champions, FA Vase,
                                                                        NWCC Cup
2011/12  NP D1S  (L8) 1st   3rd Rnd. FAT 3rd Rnd NLCC Wnrs   N/A         NPL 1st Div Sth Champions,
                                                                        NLC Cup, NLP Cup
2012/13  NP Prm  (L7) 1st   3rd Rnd. FAT 3rd Rnd NLCC Wnrs   N/A         NPL Prm Champions, NLC Cup
2013/14  BSN          1st   3rd Rnd. FAT Wnrs    N/A         N/A         BSN Champions, FA Trophy
2014/15  BSP          1st   3rd Rnd. FAT Wnrs    N/A         N/A         BSP Champions, FA Trophy
2015/16  CCL2         1st   3rd Rnd. N/A         1st Rnd.    N/A         CCL2 Champions

Next Season... Win?

That's great going Daemonic, think I had Luke Powell very early on in my Aylesbury game. Had good stats and was decent back up in the lower parts of non league but I had no idea he was capable of what you've achieved with him.

well played, looks like you've got the patience to complete this.

Well done Proto Tarkula on your achievments so far too, looks like you have your players on very low wages for that level as well so you're doing very well.

I'm shocked Powell has lasted this long as well, although he was released by Everton before joining AFC Liverpool in Level 10 so he must have had something to begin with. The coaches still rate him as a good League One striker and with 3 forwards playing each game he will continue to get chances until he's obviously out of his depth.

.... think I had Luke Powell very early on in my Aylesbury game. Had good stats and was decent back up in the lower parts of non league but I had no idea he was capable of what you've achieved with him.

Quiet day in work so had a quick check of your transfer screens and you had him for 1 season before letting him go to Enfield on a free....how could you :(:p

As he's already scored a League 1 goal for me, making that goals in 8 different leagues I might just try to get him a goal in the Championship and Premiership as well to make it a nice even 10. He's already signed for another 3 seasons anyway.:)

Ludlow Town-Season 13 Review (2021/22) Premiership...Starting in West Midlands League Premier Division(Level 10)

Transfers These transfers were more for attacking options except for Pazdera whop was to strengthen the defence. Although Byron Wild is a unusual one when it came to internationals, he was born in falkirk was clearly the best scottish forward but snubbed by the Scots, signed by me then selected for Englands U21's scoring twice on debut and finished the season making his full England debut in the world cup.

League

Table - It was that comfortable by the end of the season, I am fully pleased with it although a defender of mine fully did my head in and caused harmony problems in the dressing room.

Cups

Champsion League-Winners - Think Wamberto paid a large chunk of his fee off with that winner.

Club World Championship - Winners - walk in the park this competition was.

Super Cup-Winners - They were tough to break down.

FA Cup - Semi-Finals - The one cup I wanted and I failed, maybe next season. Chelsea won it.

League Cup - 4th Round - City are my bogey team, not surprised I lost really, my record against them sucks.

Charity Shields - Winners - Took all of 14 seconds for Sanchez to make an impact, got lucky with penalty shootout.

Player/Awards

I got Manager of the year, wasn't really a close competition though.

Sanchez received Young Player of the Year - Excellent debut season and was a year younger then 2nd and 3rd so there is a chance he could get it again next season.

Wamberto was selected as Ludlow Town's Player of the Year - He had a average rating of 7.31 over 57 games and was top scorer with 28 goals.

Stadium getting a 5,000 seat expansion to take it to around 30,000 and failities are being upgraded again.

Next season to continue with winning (hopefully), buy youth and develop them in which I have spotted 5 so far and finally get an international job hopefully with a european country.

Season   League         Pos.  FA Cup   Europe     Achievements
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
2009/10  WMLPD    (L10) 1st   1st Ql.  N/A        Promotion
2010/11  Kent Prm (L9)  1st   2nd Ql   N/A        Promotion, Kent Prem Cup Winners
2011/12  SLFDM    (L8)  1st   2nd Ql   N/A        Promotion
2012/13  SLPM     (L7)  3rd   4th Rnd  N/A        Playoff Winner
2013/14  BL SQ N  (L6)  5th   3rd Rnd  N/A        Playoff Winner
2014/15  BL SQ Prm(L5)  4th   4th Rnd  N/A        Playoff Winner,FA Trophy Winners
2015/16  League 2 (L4)  3rd   4th Rnd  N/A	  Promoted
2016/17  League 1 (L3)  1st   5th Rnd  N/A        Promotion,JPT Winners
2017/18  CCC      (L2)  3rd   5th Rnd  N/A        Playoff Winner
2018/19  Prem     (L1)  5th   6th Rnd  N/A        Euro Cup Qualification
2019/20  Prem     (L1)  2nd   S/F      2nd K.O    League Cup Winners, Champ League Qualification
2020/21  Prem     (L1)  1st   6th Rnd  CL Winners Treble (Prem, CL and LC Winners)
2021/22  Prem     (L1)  1st   S/F      CL Winners Prem,CL,CS,Super Cup and CWC Winners

Good season B.W.G, nice to see you're continuing with the save even after completing the challenge :thup:

I can't tear myself away from Ludlow...I just can't do it.

Although I have had a laugh during the pre-season. I got the Italy job and find this is my best player Aldo Rinaldi - Scary stats for a 23 year old :p

Barcelona let this guy go Arthur for £4.4 mill...what was pep thinkin :D

Arthur is currently tutoring this guy I stole from Everton - Rob Hughes

...Arthur is currently tutoring this guy I stole from Everton - Rob Hughes

£15m is hardly a steal :eek:...looks like a great player for the future though and Arthur's stats are ridiculous.

For me League One is definitely going to be tougher... with just 5 played we've already drawn 1 and lost a game against relegation candidates Blackpool.

I know £15 mill is a big investment for the future but it will pay off even though I do suffer from too much money and not enough sense :p

Ye I hated league one with a passion....my first 5 games were 2 wins, 2 draws and a loss, its at that level where I actually saw improvement in the quality of the opposition

After the first couple of games I went on a desperate hunt for players to improve the squad further but haven't had much luck and I'm trying hard to avoid loanees, the only one so far is a player sent by parent club Liverpool. I'm really hoping the sluggish start is down to the need for new players to gel into the squad as our best 11 probably has 5 or 6 new signings in it.

I'm thinking it is more down to them needing to gel as I've had my busiest pre-season since League 1 by signing 10 players and although I ain't lost yet, its been 3 very poor wins and 1 lucky draw so far

Fingers crossed you're both right. I think I just need to resist the temptation to keep tweaking the tactics (formation is always the same but mentality etc varies a lot depending on opposition) and just accept we won't be thrashing everyone this season :o

We won 4-0, they won 3-0.

Both conceded 28 goals but we outscored them easily with 112 to their 84.

Again went for the money making to pay off the previous 48 month deals, spent no money and recouped £32.5m. Concentrated on blending some fringe/youth players in and John Keen finally made the breakthrough at the age of 21 after 3 loan spells away from the club, he managed 17 appearances in total.

Jack Stevens had his best season yet with 48 goals, 42 of them in the league.

given this challenge up... im 19 seasons in and challenging for promotion in League 1 but it goes so slow!!

might try in FM11 if i have a quicker laptop!

Yeah, I'm starting to notice some serious lag in the game now after 8 seasons and that's on a decent desktop machine.

AFC Liverpool - Coca-Cola League 1 - 2016/17

Transfers

One of the busiest seasons for a while as I tried to improve the squad and it seemed to upset the balance as we had a sluggish start to the season. Our only loanees were Egan sent by parent club Liverpool as part of our deal and Nash who was drafted in for 3 months to cover injuries.

Coca-Cola League 1

Not quite the domination of previous seasons as it took 17 games for us to establish ourselves at the top, but after that the other contenders fell away and we were crowned champions on the 25th of February with 9 games left to play. With our late season form we ended the campaign 34 points clear, scoring over 100 goals yet again and on a 38 game unbeaten streak.

FA Cup - Fourth Round

Decent run and a respectable score against West Ham.

League Cup - Second Round

Lost in the second round to Fulham who are playing in the Championship.

Johnston Paint Trophy - WINNERS | Final

Liverpool County FA Senior Cup - WINNERS | Final

Pretty easy once Liverpool Reserves were knocked out by Southport.

Other News

Finances - Another healthy season but the 4400 capacity ground is really starting to pinch now.

Club Records

Awards

N/A

Stars

Most Assists: Scott Davies - 16

Most Goals: Lukas Jutkiewicz - 27

Most MoM: Lukas Jutkiewicz - 10

Highest Avg Rating: Scott Davies - 7.41

Fans Player of the Year: Scott Davies

Luke Powell is now just just 7 goals away from his 200th AFC Liverpool goal. He struggled this year but I'll get him a Championship & Premiership goal if its the last thing I do.

Leagues

Coca-Cola League One x 1 - 2016/17

Cups

Johnston Paint Trophy x 1 - 2016/17

Liverpool Senior Cup x 1 - 2016/17

Career History

Season   League       Pos.  FA Cup   FA Vase/    Lge Cups    Europe      Achievements
                                    FA Trophy
2009/10  NWC 1  (L10) 1st   4th Ql.  FAV Wnrs    NWCCC Wnrs  N/A         NWC Div 1 Champions, FA Vase,
2010/11  NWC Prm (L9) 1st   1st Rnd. FAV Wnrs    NWCCC Wnrs  N/A         NWC Prm Champions, FA Vase,
                                                                        NWCC Cup
2011/12  NP D1S  (L8) 1st   3rd Rnd. FAT 3rd Rnd NLCC Wnrs   N/A         NPL 1st Div Sth Champions,
                                                                        NLC Cup, NLP Cup
2012/13  NP Prm  (L7) 1st   3rd Rnd. FAT 3rd Rnd NLCC Wnrs   N/A         NPL Prm Champions, NLC Cup
2013/14  BSN          1st   3rd Rnd. FAT Wnrs    N/A         N/A         BSN Champions, FA Trophy
2014/15  BSP          1st   3rd Rnd. FAT Wnrs    N/A         N/A         BSP Champions, FA Trophy
2015/16  CCL2         1st   3rd Rnd. N/A         1st Rnd.    N/A         CCL2 Champions
2016/17  CCL1         1st   4th Rnd. N/A         2nd Rnd.    N/A         CCL1 Champions, JPT Winners,
                                                                        Liverpool Senior Cup

Next Season... Has to be another promotion...

Wth 12 seasons from lvl 10 to CL winners without cheating? Why you even bother playing this game if it's THAT easy? Insane ...

Yeah, I agree. Thats crazy. SI need to tweak the game if this sort of thing can happen, and not even just once, but by multiple people.

Yeah, I agree. Thats crazy. SI need to tweak the game if this sort of thing can happen, and not even just once, but by multiple people.

I'd guess they didn't do a huge amount of testing with games started at Level 10 so it does need some tweaking.

\o/ Good luck in the Championship :)
I knew you would do it daemonic, best of luck in the championship :D

The signing spree is already well underway as I try to upgrade all areas. I have a 60k wage budget but I can up that a bit if I need to from our transfer funds. The ability to scout all of Europe is helping too.

I'm starting this tonight. Just downloading the file. Only going down to Level 10 as my laptop and computer may die after a few seasons.

Going to be Hallam I think or Sheffield as these are the two closest sides to where I live.

Started as Cadbury Athletic, as there name struck my eye, and their bright purple kit would be nice to see in the Premier League ;)

Also accidentally released one of my best strikers, when trying to offer him a contract :rolleyes:

I'd guess they didn't do a huge amount of testing with games started at Level 10 so it does need some tweaking.

I understand why people are getting through the created leagues easily, but getting successive promotions (and many times titles) from BSN/S to Championship, then placing well in the Premiership just shouldn't be possible but for once in a blue moon.

I understand why people are getting through the created leagues easily, but getting successive promotions (and many times titles) from BSN/S to Championship, then placing well in the Premiership just shouldn't be possible but for once in a blue moon.

I think the success in the 'standard' leagues is a knock on from the reputation increase given for success in the added leagues. I think clubs reputations may be getting boosted too much by these minor comps so it's similar to editing a BSN/BSS teams reputation to a higher value and that makes attracting players etc easier.

Also the manager reputation is way off by the time I got to the standard leagues, and this allowed me attract players I really shouldn't have been able to get. In the BSP I was continental and winning CCL2 bumped me up to the only world class manager in my save. You know the scenario, you find a potential star, put in a bid and suddenly lots of clubs make offers and you just know he'll sign for them...well I've found they usually sign for me, often on lowish wages and I get the "Player X is looking forward to working with ..." message which has to be related to my manager rep.

AFC Liverpool - Coca-Cola Championship - 2017/18

Transfers

The option to scout all of Europe opened up our options as we signed Italians, Spaniards and Portuguese galore including the smashing of our transfer record with the 2.4m purchase of Gualter Fraga. The best signing however was the capture on a free of former Arsenal trainee, James McGee.

On the way out it was mostly players who were surplus to requirements and a couple of players who decided they were too big for little AFC Liverpool. After handing in transfer requests our number 1 keeper, Curutchet choose to return to France and play for Le Mans UC 72 while DC, Angeli decided the mighty FC Midtjylland of Denmark was a better option.

Coca-Cola Championship

This year it took 25 games before we were able to establish ourselves at the top of the table as Sheffield Utd were having a fantastic first half to the season. The main problem in getting to the top was we conceded a lot more goals than previous years which will need to change. Despite a late season dip in form we sealed promotion and the title with 5 games to go having already passed the 100 goals milestone for the 9th season in a row.

FA Cup - Fourth Round

A good home win over Everton before Chelsea beat us at Stamford Bridge.

League Cup - Second Round

Liverpool County FA Senior Cup - Quarter Final

Beaten by Liverpool Reserves doesn't bode well for when we'll be meeting the full team next season.

Other News

Finances took a hit as the wage bill couldn't be met by our gate receipts but that should change the season after next when we move to the 16,453 seat Daemonic Stadium.

Club Records

Awards

Coca-Cola Championship Top Goalscorer - 1st James McGee

Stars

Most Assists: Luke Powell - 15

Most Goals: James McGee - 35

Most MoM: James McGee - 10

Highest Avg Rating: James McGee - 7.48

Fans Player of the Year: James McGee

The game is obviously VERY VERY broken when Powell is dropped from the overall best 11 so I'm going to chronicle his exploits anyway. Fabulous season for Powell as he passed the 200 goal milestone and has scored in 9 levels of English football. I thought I'd be weakening the team playing him but he was brilliant scoring 22 and creating another 15. Ridiculous stats given his attributes.

Leagues

Coca-Cola Championship x 1 - 2017/18

Coca-Cola League One x 1 - 2016/17

Cups

Johnston Paint Trophy x 1 - 2016/17

Liverpool Senior Cup x 1 - 2016/17

Career History

FA Trophy
                                                                        NWCC Cup
                                                                        NLC Cup, NLP Cup
2016/17  CCL1         1st   4th Rnd. N/A         2nd Rnd.    N/A         CCL1 Champions, JPT Winners,
                                                                        Liverpool Senior Cup
2017/18  CCC          1st   4th Rnd. N/A         2nd Rnd.    N/A         CCC Champions

Next Season... ...Europe?

Archived