*UNOFFICIAL* Basic Guide to the Editor

arsenal_2111

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I'm having an issue with club budgets. I have tried to remove Liverpool's debt because I got into Season 3 with it being unedited and the debt is crippling the club. For example, by my third season I got a 1k transfer budget and a 140K wage budget. Yet I was still expected to win the premier league.

I tried editing the budget last night but the debt was still there but my other changes had gone through. What gives?

I have a question hopefully people on here can answer for me. When I've created a World/Super league I'll obviously have alot of leagues with an insufficient amount of teams and these will be greyed out, and have a little warning triangle next to them when you first start a new game. Do I need to replace these missing teams if I'm not actually going to be activating these leagues. Will it have a major effect on the game?

Why the hell have SI made this Editor so difficult to use this year? All you had to do before was edit and save your database, then select your edited database in game. Now there is all this changing filenames, configs, etc. what was wrong with the old way, it worked, it wasn't broke, so why change it!

Hi, I'm having an issue with club budgets. I have tried to remove Liverpool's debt because I got into Season 3 with it being unedited and the debt is crippling the club. For example, by my third season I got a 1k transfer budget and a 140K wage budget. Yet I was still expected to win the premier league.

I tried editing the budget last night but the debt was still there but my other changes had gone through. What gives?

Try selecting 'clear' instead of 'remove' - that's worked for other people :thup:

Why the hell have SI made this Editor so difficult to use this year?

They didn't choose to make it difficult; they chose to make it a more powerful tool - unfortunately that means we need to learn how to use a new product.

what was wrong with the old way, it worked, it wasn't broke, so why change it!

Because a significant number of people were asking for the changes that have now been implemented.

In a nutshell, it's a far superior editor - we just need to learn how to use it properly. In relation to that, an explanatory manual would've been a good idea.

Right, im getting rather p****d off now. Iv followed the first port, advice given to other people and nothing has worked. I have edited a player, (Walcott), and I want to put the file into the game, but nothing is working. I've cleared the cache, deleted the config file, restarted the game etc etc and nothing is working. Can someone explain how the hell I save the database and get it into my game? Thanks alot.

Try selecting 'clear' instead of 'remove' - that's worked for other people :thup:

Okay, I've done that and edited the budget they start with, yet the club still has a huge money problem. I dont get it, no debt but the clubs finance is only "okay" and by mid-season I'm being asked to sell players.

Anyone give me a bit of a tutorial on how to edit a competition for example the Premier League. I know I have to re-create as the ones already in the database are locked. I basically want to re-do the Premier League but change some of the rules, however I'm not sure how much depth I have to go into and if I change the Premier League do I have to do the leagues below it as well?

Faroe the new editor doesn't let you alter the database, you instead create XML files that act as patches to change data when you start a new game. Open the Editor, Load the Database, make the changes you want then save this edited data with a name you recognise.

Start a new game with FM and when the box comes up to show you the database info there is a little check box in the bottom called 'Changes' tick this and hit okay/advance whatever it is and on the next screen you'll have the option to add the edited files you've created to the database. This then should show your changes within the game.

Okay, I've done that and edited the budget they start with, yet the club still has a huge money problem. I dont get it, no debt but the clubs finance is only "okay" and by mid-season I'm being asked to sell players.

When you go to the Clubs finance screen do you change the clubs budget only or do you then go to debts/loans screens and change that as well?

Obviously somewhere along the line you're not changing the debt amount or the repayment amount and thus you're still running into problems. I have to say I haven't removed a clubs debt with the new editor but I have lowered Man Utd's as they would lose 15 million a month on my game and be in negative finance by the end of 1st season.

When you go to the Clubs finance screen do you change the clubs budget only or do you then go to debts/loans screens and change that as well?

Obviously somewhere along the line you're not changing the debt amount or the repayment amount and thus you're still running into problems. I have to say I haven't removed a clubs debt with the new editor but I have lowered Man Utd's as they would lose 15 million a month on my game and be in negative finance by the end of 1st season.

I completely removed the debt and upped their club budget by a couple million. So without any debt, they shouldn't be running into debt at all. But for some reason they still are. It's quite odd.

You need to set a 'main' division, then two sub divisions inside that. So there is (eg) Polish 2nd Division as the major league, then Polish 2nd East and Polish 2nd West.

You doing that?

Yup. The problem is that when I click Add Nation rules, choose Add etc., the Second League comes out directly, without the screen when I can choose that it contains groups. When I add them on the screen with the rules, the game acts like it doesn't see the groups. And when I want to add the groups through the Leagues screen (the one where they're sorted) - it adds the groups, but I end with 2 Second Leagues :/

You know that it isn't a database that you make yeah? Does the little popup appear when you press 'New Game'

Try saving the file as a different name.

Just like Casss, I'm experiencing the same problems. I've saved the changes made both to the original config.xml and to a file with a different name. When I click on "New Game" I do NOT get up a pop-up where I can select my editid file (database?). Can someone please help me out? Cheers

I've created a European Super League which is based in England instead of the Premiership. The rest of the Premiership teams have been scattered about Europe to replace the sides that have left each country. In England The Super League is the most important competiton, but I have a question.

A) When I started the game, each club didn't give me a wage budget, with it starting at £0, why is this? What can I do to make it go back to normal?

Cheers Nik, I'm sure something a bit better will come along soon enough!

C, I've added something in. I haven't done this myself, so am purely going off that thread. Is anything incorrect or needs explaining more?

In most countries, lower league's are regional. An example of this is the Blue Square North and Blue Square South in England. When adding a regional tier into the editor, you will need to set it boundaries. These make sure that you won't find southern teams getting promoted or relegated into a northern division. To set boundaries, you need to set four cities that you want to set as the boundaries for that certain league. Make sure that the leagues you set as boundaries have longitudes and latitudes set. If they don't, you can enter them yourself.

Is this set in the actual sub Division to work or set at the actual divison ie

North/South League:

North League

South League

would the boundaries be set in the North/South League stage or the seperate North League and South League?

why isn't there a possibility to define a league as "regional" and choose which from what region(s) clubs could participate?

You can set regional boundaries for each competition, and also set the preferred Regional Divisions for each club in the club > competitions > regional divisions tab.

Cheers Nik, I'm sure something a bit better will come along soon enough!

C, I've added something in. I haven't done this myself, so am purely going off that thread. Is anything incorrect or needs explaining more?

Is this set in the actual sub Division to work or set at the actual divison ie

North/South League:

North League

South League

would the boundaries be set in the North/South League stage or the seperate North League and South League?

In the seperate North League and South Leagues. You can also define which division a team should go into if they have a definite preference, as outlined in my post above.

how do i create a cup with teams from more than 1 nation.

* Create your cup, leave it empty

* Add the cup via the edit nation rules screen. When asked for the division(s) to draw the teams from, just pick some random ones but make sure the number of teams is correct.

* Complete the wizard, then change the teams in the main nation rules screen for the cup. You'd need to change 'Get Teams from Division' to 'Get Specific Team' and 'Add' more team boxes until you have the correct number.

It's a workaround, but it works well - note, you'd have to host the cup in one nation, and have that nation running in game to have the cup.

Just like Casss, I'm experiencing the same problems. I've saved the changes made both to the original config.xml and to a file with a different name. When I click on "New Game" I do NOT get up a pop-up where I can select my editid file (database?). Can someone please help me out? Cheers

You'll certainly need to delete your config.xml file now, as that shouldn't be overwritten. The editor will create a new one next time it is launched.

* Create your cup, leave it empty

* Add the cup via the edit nation rules screen. When asked for the division(s) to draw the teams from, just pick some random ones but make sure the number of teams is correct.

* Complete the wizard, then change the teams in the main nation rules screen for the cup. You'd need to change 'Get Teams from Division' to 'Get Specific Team' and 'Add' more team boxes until you have the correct number.

It's a workaround, but it works well - note, you'd have to host the cup in one nation, and have that nation running in game to have the cup.

but i want to add loads of teams, doing it like that will take ages.

• SI Staff

What I don't understand is how I make a different version of the DB that includes my data updates without makng and XML file? Before I could just save the DB as a new file name...now I don't see that choice?

I want to play online, and thus need to share the database with the other gamers...unfortunately though, just giving them the XML doens't help (to a player it has crashed them as they try and join my modified game structure).

Any suggestions?

What I don't understand is how I make a different version of the DB that includes my data updates without makng and XML file? Before I could just save the DB as a new file name...now I don't see that choice?

I want to play online, and thus need to share the database with the other gamers...unfortunately though, just giving them the XML doens't help (to a player it has crashed them as they try and join my modified game structure).

Any suggestions?

Normally, the clients would automatically download updates from the server, but I've seen quite a few people report issues with that. Have you tried to let them join without them installing the xml on their machine?

As far as I know there is no option of creating a full database.

• SI Staff
Normally, the clients would automatically download updates from the server, but I've seen quite a few people report issues with that. Have you tried to let them join without them installing the xml on their machine?

As far as I know there is no option of creating a full database.

It works fine without the changes.

I can't see where to save or integrate these changes as permanent DB changes.

It works fine without the changes.

I can't see where to save or integrate these changes as permanent DB changes.

I meant, have you tried only installing the xml on the server side but not on the clients? It's supposed to automatically uptake the changes. There are a number of threads about issues with network games in the Editor Bug forum, take a look there.

You can't integrate the changes as permanent DB changes.

I'm trying to make reserve/youth leagues to match the main league.

I've ticked the First Reserve/Youth team and Second Reserve/Youth team boxs in the editor and chosen "Use Main Team Division".

All teams in my game now have Reserve/U18 teams, and before every season I have the option to join a reserve/U18 division.

However the division doesn't actually exist, so no reserve teams play any games.

What am I doing wrong?

One quick question about the editor - I've edited the Scottish Leagues and everything works fine, apart from the number of yellows it takes for a suspension. Currently it has defaulted at 2 yellows a ban, and a subsequent ban for every following yellow. Any idea where this can be changed?? Cos half my team are now suspended every week!

[

When you press New Game, the following box appears yeah? (it may be slightly different)

Step1.png

What does the line 'Editor Data Files' read? Could you please post a screenshot of that box when it appears?

this ^ doesnt appear when i start up new game

Try clearing cache http://footballmanagerwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Clearing_Cache

One quick question about the editor - I've edited the Scottish Leagues and everything works fine, apart from the number of yellows it takes for a suspension. Currently it has defaulted at 2 yellows a ban, and a subsequent ban for every following yellow. Any idea where this can be changed?? Cos half my team are now suspended every week!

On the main page for the league, I believe there is a Rules section. Theres a section there for this.

This is from memory, but I'm fairly certain it's on the page of the league you've made.

Archived