FM10 Official Olympique Lyonnais Thread - Allez L'OL

Lisandro Lopez

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You mean Lloris and Pjanic? Hands off, they're mine ;)
Any team would protect there best players, if you want them you just have to bid crazy money to get them. Just like irl.

Not them two, it's all about Cissokho.

But I always get requested ridiculous money; was once told to pay over £100million if I wanted him.

Love the OL team but I just can't afford their players and I find it way too original managing them because they're so dominant

Well Cissokho is another of our best players tbh. Perhaps not at the start, but after a year or so, he becomes one of the best left backs in the world. You could probably get him for around £50m I would've thought thought, not that's he's worth that at all.

Raymond is a ****, but unfortunately he's doing really well, so I can't take his job. 100% win record with 1 goal conceded during Euro Qualifying tells its own story, and the only game that he hasn't won since the game started was the World Cup final, which was lost on penalties to Brazil.

Well, that's my opinion, even if left winger isn't his natural position, he has played rather badly (maybe excepted at the start of the 2008-2009 season).

BTW, what do you think of that guy? He doesn't seem that good (pretty worried about his determination) but according to my scouts, he would be a quality signing (3,5 stars potential). I can get him for 3,7M€.

Thanks Purefun, I'll see what I'll do, maybe nothing for now. Is it just me or Pjanic doesn't really gets better on this 10.3? Despite good tutoring, good training and playing a lot, he doesn't improve a lot on my save :(

Pjanic will improve defo, Poor management if he doesnt!!! ;)

Kallstrom is playing so well behind Lopez for me recently (despite a lack of goals) that poor Pjanic is barely getting a game. I feel bad. Anyway, thought I'd post some progress in my first ever Lyon season:

Season 1 Mid-season Report

Very tight at the top right now. We're finally coming into form despite some real inconsistency in the early months, a CL exit and 5 league defeats is slightly worrying but we're right on Bordeaux's heels still. Here's how the top looks:

1. Bordeaux   40 pts 19 pld
2. [b]LYON[/b]       38 pts 19 pld
3. Toulouse   38 pts 19 pld
4. Marseille  35 pts 19 pld
5. AS Nancy   33 pts 19 pld

Think I boobed by choosing to be an unknown, untried manager as it took untill November for the players to start getting motivated and lose their red morale arrows. Thankfully some of them have me in their favoured personnel now.

Really need a new CB as Cris and Boumsong are proving to be very inconsistent. Certainly not ideal to be relying on a 20 year old homesick Croat to be marshalling the back four (Lovren's been great btw despite struggling to settle). Silly boy N'Koulou chose to go to Villareal despite me offering him a very lucrative contract. Have a young Brazilian called Maicon from Porto on the way for £3m who could be good, couldn't really afford the silly money needed for the likes of Mexes, Naldo and Hangeland who were my main targets.

Breezed through the Europa League group with a game to spare with the youth team I posted earlier. Tafer, Belfodil and Grenier were all stars notching 3 goals each. Been drawn against Lazio in the last 32 - should I stick with the kids or opt for more experience?

Some of the youngsters are improving at a rate of knots. Gassama is getting close to Clerc and Réveillère for a 1st team spot and Grenier is close to Pjanic aleady in my view. Think that's all for now... sorry for the length!

One last thing:

Toulalan Goal Watch: He's got one, the third in a 3-0 against OM which was an audicious effort that was going miles wide only for a deflection to wrong foot the keeper and loop into the opposite corner... he's training to stop the long shots as we speak.

Nice post. Toulalan has scored 4 for me in nearly 3 seasons. I'm pretty sure most of those have come when he has been covering for centre back and scored a header or something. I do remember one strike in the first season before he unlearned his shoots from distance PPM though, absolute stonker it was as well, I was shocked.

Thanks lads. I find that even with the 'work ball into box' shout that Toulalan and, to a lesser, extent, Bodmer, will pull the trigger from anywhere. I don't really mind Bodmer doing it though as he's pretty good at it.

Really going to try to get Pjanic more games certainly. Just won at Tours in the cup and experimented with a box 4-2-2-2 with Pjanic and Grenier behind Tafer and Gomis. Pjanic played a glorious through ball for Gonalons for the opening goal. What Gonalons was doing up there is a mystery to me though! Maicon scored the 2nd and got MOM too so a nice start for him.

When I get home later I have a screenshot which perfectly illustrates why I'm getting hooked on FM again. Its a good one...

Hey all this is my first post for a while. I've struggled to recently get a good long term game going since the new patch. This thread seems really consistent and equally as popular. I know from reading this seems some Forum Mods favourite team to be and that equally is a possible reason for popularity. I've started several games in Spain, England and Italy to which i become quickly bored.

Having looked at France as a possible start place my next decision is to choose the team. I've read nearly every word on each of the team threads in France. I just wanted to ask a few questions in regards to Lyon before i choose to start.

First of all the difficulty. I've seen a few posts questioning difficulty. It's not so much winning a league that makes it easy. I just wanted to ask about how close opposition gets to you. Bordeaux, Paris & Marseille for example. Just how far do they push you as i wouldn't want to win a league by February.

Second question is regarding stadium expansion. Anyone who is playing with Lyon had ground expansions or even a new stadium built?

Final question is in regards to length of season. There are 2 domestic cup competitions, the domestic league plus European competition. Is everyone managing to deal with these extra games effectively?

Sorry if the above questions have been asked throughout. Just wanted some more clarification. Any other tips and guides are welcome - i need some swaying in favour of starting a Lyon save.

Thanks for reading.

Kallstrom is playing so well behind Lopez for me recently (despite a lack of goals) that poor Pjanic is barely getting a game. I feel bad. Anyway, thought I'd post some progress in my first ever Lyon season:

Season 1 Mid-season Report

Very tight at the top right now. We're finally coming into form despite some real inconsistency in the early months, a CL exit and 5 league defeats is slightly worrying but we're right on Bordeaux's heels still. Here's how the top looks:

1. Bordeaux   40 pts 19 pld
2. [b]LYON[/b]       38 pts 19 pld
3. Toulouse   38 pts 19 pld
4. Marseille  35 pts 19 pld
5. AS Nancy   33 pts 19 pld

Think I boobed by choosing to be an unknown, untried manager as it took untill November for the players to start getting motivated and lose their red morale arrows. Thankfully some of them have me in their favoured personnel now.

Really need a new CB as Cris and Boumsong are proving to be very inconsistent. Certainly not ideal to be relying on a 20 year old homesick Croat to be marshalling the back four (Lovren's been great btw despite struggling to settle). Silly boy N'Koulou chose to go to Villareal despite me offering him a very lucrative contract. Have a young Brazilian called Maicon from Porto on the way for £3m who could be good, couldn't really afford the silly money needed for the likes of Mexes, Naldo and Hangeland who were my main targets.

Breezed through the Europa League group with a game to spare with the youth team I posted earlier. Tafer, Belfodil and Grenier were all stars notching 3 goals each. Been drawn against Lazio in the last 32 - should I stick with the kids or opt for more experience?

Some of the youngsters are improving at a rate of knots. Gassama is getting close to Clerc and Réveillère for a 1st team spot and Grenier is close to Pjanic aleady in my view. Think that's all for now... sorry for the length!

One last thing:

Toulalan Goal Watch: He's got one, the third in a 3-0 against OM which was an audicious effort that was going miles wide only for a deflection to wrong foot the keeper and loop into the opposite corner... he's training to stop the long shots as we speak.

You should get someone like David Luiz. :thup:

Hey all this is my first post for a while. I've struggled to recently get a good long term game going since the new patch. This thread seems really consistent and equally as popular. I know from reading this seems some Forum Mods favourite team to be and that equally is a possible reason for popularity. I've started several games in Spain, England and Italy to which i become quickly bored.

Having looked at France as a possible start place my next decision is to choose the team. I've read nearly every word on each of the team threads in France. I just wanted to ask a few questions in regards to Lyon before i choose to start.

First of all the difficulty. I've seen a few posts questioning difficulty. It's not so much winning a league that makes it easy. I just wanted to ask about how close opposition gets to you. Bordeaux, Paris & Marseille for example. Just how far do they push you as i wouldn't want to win a league by February.

It depends on who they buy and sell, how well you do and whether we are talking from the start of the game? Or over long term? You will usually have two teams who give you some challenge but it's not always the big French clubs. I had Le Mans try and push me for the title in season one.

You also impact how difficult it is by who you buy and sell, if you buy the Kaká's etc then it's going to be easy? If you decide to build French then you have a longer term plan. It's hard to give you an idea until you give it a go yourself.

Put it this way, if it was completely easy people wouldn’t stay at Lyon for so long.

Second question is regarding stadium expansion. Anyone who is playing with Lyon had ground expansions or even a new stadium built?

You move into OL Land [new stadium] in 2013 (think that’s the new date), it's a 60K seater which also has room to expand.

Final question is in regards to length of season. There are 2 domestic cup competitions, the domestic league plus European competition. Is everyone managing to deal with these extra games effectively?

Sorry if the above questions have been asked throughout. Just wanted some more clarification. Any other tips and guides are welcome - i need some swaying in favour of starting a Lyon save.

Thanks for reading.

It's the same in England? The amount of games is less of a problem if you have a big squad or use your youth.

benroscrow - I'm probably not the best person to answer your question as I've only recently started a Lyon save, but its been enjoyable for me so far anyway. My first season is very competitive at the halfway stage with only 2 points separating the top three (that may be partly down to my ineptitude though). There are a number of good sides capable of taking points off each other so I guess if you put a consistent run together you could open up a fairly healthy gap at the top, in that respect it is easier than Spain where you have to be winning virtually every game to keep apace with Real and Barca.

As for long term games I can't say, other than in my experience most leagues get easier the longer you go on as you can quite easily stockpile young talent while the AI struggles to build a decent squad. CM/FM has virtually always been like this and I'd imagine Ligue 1 in 10.3 is no different.

If you check the facilities screen for the club you can see that Lyon are due to move to the 60,000 capacity OL Land in 2013.

As for the amount of fixtures, I feel its a blessing as it gives you amble opportunity to blood the many great young players at your disposal. I'm sure some of the other lads will be able to give you more advice (edit: I see that's already happened as I was writing this reply).

On another note, here is the screenshot I mentioned I would post earlier:

Cupshock.jpg

Apart from the obvious, there are a couple of other reasons why I love that result. Firstly, Stade Plabennecois are 2nd from bottom in National, they've won ONE league game from 25. Secondly, Laurent David who scored the first goal is a 39 year old journeyman with over 500 career league appearances who's on a part-time contract of £110 a week. And lastly, David Hadstdat who got the winner is the total opposite to David in terms of appearances - check out his career:

hadstdat.jpg

Great stuff!

Haha nice screenie.

Kicked out the Champions League, cruelly if I might so say. Was held by a solid Real defense to 0-0 at the Bernebeu, but back at the Gerland I expected to come out on top.

Things didn't go to plan though, as they were on top of me for large periods of the first half, but towards the end a Gourcuff corner flicked on by Geromel took a touch off Raul Albiol who deflected into his own net. The second half was much like the first, with Real domination and frequent Lyon counter-attacks, but on the 87th minute a great piece of linkup play from Kaka-Higuain-Raul enabled the latter to score a simple finish past a helpless Lloris.

Sad times :( but there's always next year I suppose.

In other news I've wrapped up the league with 5 games to go. Marseille were keeping pace with me really well, but in the last few games they've had a nasty dip in form whilst I've carried on winning. Want to play a lot of youngsters for the rest of the season, but will hopefully still beat my 90 point score of the last two seasons.

Oh and to pick up on that discussion of how difficult it is being Lyon, it's like any other top level side in that it's as difficult as you want it to be.

Personally I first of all set myself a rule to only buy players with money up front and clauses, and to not pay more than £20 million for a player. However before this season (3rd) I decided I wanted to build a French side, and so I can spend upto £30 million of French players, but can only buy foreigners if they're under the age of 18 (or if they're a player I really admire IRL, if they become available, ie Cesc, Messi, Iniesta, Essien etc, but still sticking to the £20m limit).

Oh and to pick up on that discussion of how difficult it is being Lyon, it's like any other top level side in that it's as difficult as you want it to be.

Personally I first of all set myself a rule to only buy players with money up front and clauses, and to not pay more than £20 million for a player. However before this season (3rd) I decided I wanted to build a French side, and so I can spend upto £30 million of French players, but can only buy foreigners if they're under the age of 18 (or if they're a player I really admire IRL, if they become available, ie Cesc, Messi, Iniesta, Essien etc, but still sticking to the £20m limit).

I'm with you on that, always good to have a sensible transfer policy that doesn't strain the finances too much. I stray away from superstar signings with whatever club I play as and always try to develop the youth. For instance I just bought Lucas Digne from Lille who's a 16 year old LB, his determination is low so I've decided to bring in Franck Queudrue (don't flame me!) for 500k for 6 months to tutor him and act as cover for Cissokho until the end of the season.

Bad luck against Real by the way.

Oh yeah, and I never bring in players purely for tutoring. If I bring in a player, he has to play an active part of a rotation policy. Also I keep wages in check, no more than £40,000 for squad players, no more than £60,000 for all but the exceptional players, and no more than £80,000 for anyone. I'm very strict about wages as well, don't know why.

Btw any opinions on Loic Nestor? Could get him for £5.25m, as he's transfer listed by request with Havre getting relegated. Could be a good 4th choice centre back / 3rd choice right back I think...

no more than £60,000 for all but the exceptional players

You wouldn't be a fan of Govou's contract then? Admittedly I wouldn't have signed Queudrue if I didn't have the tutoring in mind, but he's still decent-ish and will be 2nd choice LB for the six months I have him so he definitely won't be rotting in the reserves. Could even keep him on for a further season until Kolodzieczak and Digne are ready to step up.

I like Nestor but the £5.75m seems a little steep.

Nope, I sold him right off the bat, it was ridiculous :eek: I wouldn't really want to offer him more than about £30,000ish in wages haha

Yeah I like the way he plays, but he's not really competitive enough in the air for me. That's his only real downside though, as he has 3* potential according to a couple of scouts (1 and half * CA), so he should improve reasonably well with better training facilities. I'm in two minds, so I decided to leave it to chance - I offered him what he was asking for, pretty much, in wages and squad status etc, so if he says yes it's a yes and if he says no it's a no :)

Edit: He said no. I want him now :( haha.

I downloaded 10.3 to play out the last few games of the season, and used my 10.2 tactic on it, and it worked like a dream. I was playing 3rd placed Monaco, and I absolutely smashed them in what should've been a tight match. 67% of possession, 22 shots, 81% passes completed...I could go on but I won't. Anyway I won 2-0, and it perhaps should've been more. Played another couple of games with similarly good results, and I'm delighted :D

Toulalan scores his first goal of the season (in the second to last game, ahem). It was basically just a goalmouth scrap from a corner in which he apparently got the last touch.

Yes, I'm finding that its possible to play some really attactive, possession football in 10.3.

Btw Joe, Harve offered Nestor to me for £1.4m when I was playing last night in the first window. I don't really want him but at that price its value for money undoubtedly

1.4m? That makes me sad, you should definitely get him though, he could develop well.

Yeah but the main thing that is making me happy about 10.3 is that keepers don't save everything that is hit close to them. It's good :) Anyway:

End of Season 3 Update

Ligue 1 - 1st

Kicked off the season with the Trophee des Champions, which I squeezed past a strong Lille side 1-0. Got off to a slow start to the season, and I was struggling for goals with only 4 in the first 6. This soon changed when the Havre AC match came though, and I smashed them to begin a nice winning run that would only end 12 games later in all competitions. I quickly took control of the league table, and never really let go, although Marseille were riding on my coat tails for most of the season. Finished up on exactly the same amount of points as the previous two seasons - 90, funnily enough with exactly the same goal difference as well! I scored and conceded seven less though this year.

Coupe de France - Q/Fs

In the first 3 rounds of this cup I drew Nantes (2-0), USBCO (4-1) and SM Caen (3-0), and then drew Marseille in the quarters. Unfortunately I couldn't find a way past Steve Mandanda for 120 minutes and the game went to penalties, with OM coming out on top.

OL competition top goalscorer: Yannis Tafer (3)

Coupe de la Ligue - winners

Won the cup comfortably this year, so I could just play youths and backups for pretty much all the competition. The first three rounds were against Auxerre (1-0), Nantes (4-1) and Monaco (2-0), and I drew Lorient in the final. I thew in a couple of first-teamers to make sure of the victory, but I needn't have bothered as I easily dismantled them 3-0 with a hat trick from Yannis.

OL competition top goalscorer: Yannis Tafer (3)

Champions League - S/Fs

Now the big one. Got a fairly easy group of Stuttgart, Ajax and Lokomotiv Moscow, and had qualification after the 4th match, so I played youths and backups again for the 5th and 6th games. Results:

Stuttgart 0-3 OL

OL 2-1 Ajax

Lokomotiv 0-4 OL

OL 7-0 Lokomotiv

OL 0-0 Lokomotiv

Ajax 0-0 OL

In the 1st KO Round I drew a Valencia side that looked very reliant on a fantastic David Villa, but I stopped him and Mata controlling the games, and won comfortably.

Valencia 0-3 OL - Tafer, Pjanic, Lisandro

OL 2-1 Valencia - Tafer (2)

In the quarters I drew a Marseille side that had already dumped me out of the Coupe de France, and I wasn't going to let it happen again.

OM 0-0 OL

OL 2-1 OM - Tafer, Canales

Such a tough game, I went 1-0 down quite early and though I was never going to find a way past Mandanda, but a huge deflection and a great strike from Canales sealed my semi-final, against Real Madrid.

Real 0-0 OL

OL 1-1 Real - Albiol og

So the cruel away goal rule worked against me, and Raul had dumped me out of the competition in the last dying minutes. A shame, but I'm proud of our run, and I'm confident that we can do better next year.

OL competition top goalscorer: Yannis Tafer (7) - missed out on Golden Boot to Pato because he played more games.

Domestic Awards

Manager of the Season - Joe Warne - third year running

Players' Player of the Season - Alexis Sanchez

Star of the Season - Lisandro Lopez - third year running

Top Goalscorer - Lisandro Lopez - 27 - same as last year

Most Assists - Mathieu Coutadeur - 17

Goalkeeper of the Season - Yohann Pele - not Steve Mandanda!!

Star Goalkeeper - Hugo Lloris - third year running

Most Promising Player - Guilherme (Le Mans)

Goal of the Year - Benoit Cheyrou

Stars Team of the Season - Lloris, Geromel, Alexis, Pjanic, Yannis and Lisandro

XI of the Season - Geromel, Sakho, Alexis, Gourcuff, Pjanic, Yannis and Lisandro

Team Review

My choices for Lyon player of the season:

1st: Miralem Pjanic - controlled games with his skill and passing, it was really noticeable in our performance when he wasn't on the pitch. Got 9 goals and 14 assists to his name, with a 7.32 avg.

2nd: Aly Cissokho - stunningly good player, regularly flew up the left side to whip in a great cross and was so solid defensively. Keeps getting better and better, and he's already undroppable. Got 4 assists and a 7.22 avg.

3rd: Federico Fazio - really made the difference between my average defense last year and my brilliant defense this year. He might not have got the awards of Geromel or Sakho, but he was the linchpin in my eyes. Also got 3 goals, 2 assists and a 7.30 avg.

4th: Lisandro Lopez - carried on his immense goalscoring form from last year, although Yannis really gave him some competition. Still was by far my top goalscorer though, and his teamwork and work ethic makes him crucial. Got 34 goals, 11 assists and a 7.38 avg.

5th: Hugo Lloris - made it possible to see out matches that would otherwise have been draws, and to draw matches that would otherwise have been losses. Simply the best goakeeper in the world atm, I really can't think of a single mistake that he made. Conceding 19 in 48 matches, 7.12 avg.

Honourable mentions also go out to Geromel, Toulalan, Alexis and Yannis, who also had incredible seasons.

Plans for the Future

I'm planning to shift out some of the players that only played a bit-part role in the season, including Joaquin, Gonzalo Rodriguez, Mathias Jorgensen, Sergio Canales, Kim Kallstrom and maybe one or two youngsters that I don't think will make it. I'll look to replace these with players already in the squad, either those that were out on loan last season, or giving some under-18s more responsibility. Also arranged the transfers of Moussa Sissoko (£7.5m) and Loic Remy (£12m), who have been two of the best performers in Ligue 1 over the last 3 years.

In the long term I'm looking to make OL a French-only team, but I'm quite a way off that yet, and first of all Pjanic will have to retire, and I have a few stonking foreign regens coming through.

Prediction of next years lineup:

Lloris

Azpi/Gass Fazio Sakho Cissokho

Toulalan

Moussa/Sandro Pjanic

Alexis - - - - - - - - - - Gourcuff

Lisandro

Yeah but you're the guy who signs players on Bosmans just to sell them for a profit :pAt least I think it's you that does it anyway?

I hate those last league games when you've already won the title. So dull :(

Tbf your right haha, some others do aswell id imagine :p

Ah, you're right. Just noticed the number of languages he speaks - now I feel totally inadequate...

8 languages :eek: Where do they speak Letsburgesch?

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't see that he had Luxembourg as third nationality. So I assume thats where they speak Letsburgesch

Luxembourg. There in his other nationality section too - you learn something new everyday.

EDIT: btw, check out Danny Welbeck's personal page and his full name. Never ceases to amaze me the pointless facts that FM gives me :)

Yeah he was born in Bosnia-Herzegovina but when he was young they emigrated to Luxembourg iirc. Then he moved to France when he got an offer from Metz as a teenager. He's only Luxembourgian and French through residency, but he played for Luxembourg at some youth levels.

I thought the language of Luxembourg was just called Luxembourgish aha.

Archived