FM10: Official Manchester United Thread - Rooney's the main man

jonahno6

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone ever tried Pastore? Want to go with someone different from the usual Gourcuff/Hamsik types etc.

Thinking of playing him off Rooney in the AMC position.

I have him, managed to get him for £15.5m at the end of the first transfer window after constantly battering Palermo with bids and various media comments. I've used him mainly as a rotation/back up because at 20 he's still young and needs to learn/be tutored (although he has an incredibly high determination stat already!). In the games he does play I drop a striker from my 4-4-2 and play him in the hole as an attacking midfielder (attack) in a 4-2-3-1. Or sometimes if the opposition is weak then I'll go 4-4-2 diamond with him at the tip, finding space and creating havoc. He is very good and I expect he will continue to develop nicely seeing as he already has great stats and a good 4 years to improve them.

Like bartnerboyz said, he seems to be really dominant in the air, which is good when you defenders decide that hoofing it is the best idea.

Is anyone on a transfer update patch finding that Nani is a lot lot better, maybe not so much stat-wise, but in a match he seems to perform really well. He has like 12 goals and 11 assists in 23 (3) appearances from AML for me. Starting to love him more and more both in game and in real life now!

Well, after much pondering I've decided to give FM10 a go until the new game comes out.

Obviously I'm United and I'm going to do the usual thing I do which is going through the 1st season with the same squad I inherit, not selling or buying any first team players.

With that in mind, what would you say is the best 1st team I can put out from the current squad. My opinion is something like this:

van der Sar, O'Shea, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evra, Valencia, Fletcher, Carrick, Giggs, Berbatov, Rooney.

Is this the strongest possible line-up in the 1st season without any changes? Thanks in advance.

I always try and give Rafael a chance because I like him IRL but he's not amazing :( - Fabio's turned out well for me though as has Macheda. I think others have had success with Welbeck, Cleverley and occasionally Obertan and Morrison if you luck out with their potentials. Would mostly agree with your first eleven though, Anderson plays well as long as you tell him to NEVER EVER shoot, and Nani is typically hit and miss.

Young players-wise, check out: Aurier, Muniesa, Muniain, Aréola, Coeff, Cuvelier, Smithies and Lukaku. I'm sure there are others but they usually end up good :)

In other news, Liverpool got bought out on my game about a year ago and they now have an annoyingly good side, having bought Pato, Moussa Sissoko, Ozil, Ribery, Cazorla, Sakho and others.

Happily though, they are still managed by Rafa, who plays Lucas and Kuyt in every game :D

Thanks for the replies guys, also I was wondering if you could lay on a tactic which best works for United, along with player and team instructions please? Thanks in advance.

Just about to play Chelsea in Community Shield so a quick reply would be greatly appreciated.

I think I need to sell some players because I got great youth incoming and I performed a few hectic buys since I had a transfer fund...

I run a 4-4-2 with Ball Winning Midfielder and Advanced Playmaker in the middle and up front a Poacher and Deep Lying Forward.

Feb 2012

GK: Edwin Van Der Sar (retiring), Rene Adler, Nicholas Khuzwayo, Cuneyt Arikan and Simone David.

DC: Nemanja Vidic, Ferdinand (his stats are dropping dramatically), Robert Kirkpatrick, Jonny Evans and Nicolas Otamendi.

FB: Kirill Artamanov, Rafinha, Rafael, Partice Evra, Juan Manual Vargas and Nigel Broadbent.

DM/MC: Anderson, Marco Verratti, Jack Rodwell, Michael Carrick, Brice Ntambwe, Stefan Portochanov, Antonio Finocchiaro and David Silva as backup.

Wingers: James Milner, David Silva, Antonio Valenica, Stevan Jovetic and Samir Nasri.

S: Wayne Rooney, Edin Dzeko, Federico Macheda, Danny Welbeck and Iker Muniain.

Stefan and Antonio are not great and not fully developed for first team action. Simone David, I don't think he will be able to compete with my current youth goalies. Nicolas Otamendi I feel like selling since he is not performing as I wish and Ferdinand is halfway out of the first team already. David Silva was an impulse investment and I just don't know if he fits my squad when Samir Nasri returns from loan. Iker Munain is also on loan and I don't think he has room in the first team either.

He has awful positioning, I realise he's only 18 but playing him in CB without improving that by at least 5-6 notches is almost defensive suicide. He looks like more of a Rafael-esque full back to me, if you can improve his pace a notch or two.

I'd have a good think about taking that £20m tbh.

Hey guys, I was wondering what kind of formation do you use when playing the tough away games and big matches at home. I'm using a 4-4-2 at the start after a few games but maybe feel that might backfire against the top sides? Be great if you guys could help out, thanks in advance.

So, I've started the 1st season of my United save and here is how I've progressed so far:

Transfers

Out

Febian Brandy to Coventry - £500k

Tom Heaton to Palermo - £250k

Ritchie De Laet to Motherwell - Season Loan

Rodrigo Possebon to West Ham - Season Loan

Corry Evans to Sunderland - Season Loan

Craig Cathcart to Brighton - Season Loan

Joe Dudgeon to Colchester - Season Loan

In

Lorenzo Crisetig from Inter - £2.1m

Jonjo Shelvey from Charlton - £3.1m

Squad Overview (only including players match fit at the time)

http://img833.imageshack.us/f/manchesterunitedseptemb.jpg/

Individual Awards

August Premier League Young Player of the Month - Anderson

Competiton Progress

My players have begun their quest for a fourth successive Premier League crown with an 4 match unbeaten run, recording wins at Blackburn and at home to moneybags Manchester City. Tottenham, who we drew with on the opening day, top the table on goal difference with Chelsea behind us on inferior goal difference. Man City occupy 4th spot and Arsenal, still in shock after being dumped out of Europe by Celtic, are in mid-table but it's still only early days in the season. At the other end, Portsmouth look in deep trouble already without a point whilst newcomers Burnley are the bottom three but again, it's too early to draw conclusions:

http://img214.imageshack.us/f/englishpremierdivisionsi.jpg/

The season's curtain-raiser, the Community Shield, was won by my players in a penalty shoot-out after Anderson cancelled out Ballack's opener in normal time. Check the screenshot out, the penalty misser's name will raise a smile:

http://img295.imageshack.us/f/chelseavmanutdcommunity.jpg/

The group stages of the Champions League have been made with my team being given an interesting draw with Juventus, Celtic and Zurich. Barcelona are looking to be the first side since AC Milan to retain the European crown.

Also, the League Cup draw has been made as my players begin their bid to retain the trophy with a trip to League 1 outfit Oldham. The FA Cup does not commence until later this season.

What do you think of my start to the season so far guys? And also, are my new players future stars in the future or should I have bought better prospects for more money?

Any feedback and suggestions much appreciation

And also, what young players do people buy early in their United saves? Thanks in advance.

areola- wonderkid gk

ochoa-gk [best value gk in the game + young]

otamendi- buy and send on loan so he learns english.

fabio+rafael cover the fullbacks for the next ten years so you don't need any more youngsters here

di maria for left wing

alexis sanchez for right wing [might need to tweak your formation as he does better as inside forward]

ozil for central playmaker

a really cheap buy is verratti. develops to become the next gourcuff [or better]

sandro as def mid

macheda develops as a fine poacher, and you can use welbeck as his second half sub, in about five-six seasons.

get dzeko- young and scores tons.

man utd has so many weak spots that need tending to

there are too many old players who don't do nearly as well as they do in real life.

neville does decent for a few months, then starts hitting under six ratings.

scholes is a complete waste- can barely make fortyfive mins of a game. offload him at the end of the season

using giggs won't win you anything. a useful sub at best

vds is the only veteran worth using, although his performances go down after the first season.

even the young kids aren't that good. nani and valencia are decent, and would do a fine job for most top teams, but if you're aspiring to win trophies and dominating opponents all the time, you need better. both are more than useful subs, but after managing man utd in the first five seasons more than ten times, i have never seen improve significantly. i'd say use them for the first couple of seasons, then sell them off and buy better players.

tosic is pretty decent. although nani has better attributes, tosic seems to outperform him [maybe cuz of consistency]. still, tosic doesn't cut it either.

you need either di maria [costs between five-twelve mil, it varies depending on how much of a hardon benfica have for him], or jovetic [bit more expensive, but performs in more positions and scores more goals than di maria. also, he is an inside forward while di maria is more of a winger/playmaker].

down the right you can keep using valencia for now [and park, he's not terrible]. after about four seasons alexis sanchez develops into something like ronaldo [minus the finishing ability, but even then i once had him score twenty+ goals in one season from right wing]. you can get sanchez around ten-fifteen mil in the first season and then send him off to loan to gain experience and learn english. send him only to another british club.

you should be fine for centre of midfield. fletcher is amazing as ballwinning midfielder on defend duty. carrick is a deep lying player, and does okay as advanced pm as well. if your formation relies on a good pm, you need someone better. get modric for around twentyfive mill.

one word for your striker needs: dzeko.

this was the easy part. the hard part is setting up a strategy that brings these dudes together and gets your points.

i usually go rigid. i like my players being creative and expansive with their passing. such a style does not go with fluid philosophy [you might pull it off with great players, but it pays too little attention to defense so you will end up conceding goals].

mentality depends. for easy home games i start with control --> attacking if it's goalless after sixty minutes ish. for tough home games and all away games i start off with standard.

passing: more direct [change to default if you're not winning the possession game]. short passing on narrow/short pitches.

creativity: more expressive

pressing: more pressing. i like winning the ball after applying pressure so i can counter attack. the more you allow good opposition to come at you, the higher the likelihood that they pull off something special, or your defenders mess up.

normal tacking

man marking

crossing default

roaming default. high creativity already has them do more than they are asked to. having them roam from position is unnecessary/harmful.

note: playing attacking football has an appeal to it. however, if you're going to play aggressive goal-seeking football in fm, you need to do it with caution. too much attack with high tempo and pushed up def line [set by default] will just open you up and you'll end up losing even to lesser teams.

defensive line: using medium. slightly tweaked down for tough home games and all away games. slightly deep for tough away games.

never go high defensive line. it's too risky/not worth it.

width: the extra goal scored from wide areas will be countered by the space exposed in your defense and easy goals conceded because of that. again, go medium width. tweak it up slightly for home games, and down for away games. for away narrow pitches, slide it down to narrow.

tempo: normal most of the time. tweak it down a bit for home games as you're in no hurry to send the ball upfield. build up play leads to best results against lesser opponents. you'll need slightly faster tempo against better teams if you're counter attacking.

focus passing: always mixed, unless playing in a narrow pitch, in which case focus through the middle

time wasting: always none, unless you're in the dying minutes of a game and want the scoreline to remain unchanged

counter attack: always on

offside trap: usually i don't use it. it goes well with high defensive line, and that's not my style.

who to watch out for:

usually chelsea and man city are the only ones who really put up any challenge. in games against city, mark tevez and close down their mid fielders and cut down supply to adebayor. against chelsea pretty much close down everyone and man mark drogba with vidic.

be careful against wolves and hull, specially at home. warn your team against complacency.

in champions league, only team that really puts up a fight is inter. real/barca somehow crumble everytime [real went down six goals to nothing at old trafford once in the first season]

the ideal lineup after a few seasons, to conclude:

akinfeev[better than adler, but also about eight mil more expensive]

evra DL

rafael DR [after he reaches potential]

vidic DC

evans DC [does better than ferdinand in a few seasons as rio starts losing pace]

gourcuff MC [twenty + assists every season]

fletcher MC

ribery ML [usually slow starter cuz of the language barrier. scores twenty + goals and assists at the same time after that every season]

sanchez MR [might take five seasons to start delivering]

rooney FC

dzeko FC [berba is just as good, only older and maybe a little inconsistent]

if you want to be cheap and help united recover from debt, you could do the cheap lineup

ochoa

evra

vidic

rafael

evans

di maria

fletcher

gourcuff [comes free btw in a few seasons] / verratti

feghouli

rooney

macheda

to conclude, just a few weaknesses of the game i noticed:

- the ai managers are quite stupid. they don't spend transfer funds wisely. for instance, liverpool spends around fifteen mil getting four fringe players instead of going for dzeko to wrap it up with torres. chelsea buys landon donovan.....man utd buys kolarov [a DL] even though they have evra, and oshea, and evans who does fine as a retrained DL.

- the game takes "adaptability" too seriously. you can rest assured your new signings will not play well about ninety percent of the time

- young players consistently start playing well around twenty two. old players consistently start sucking around thirty three. it's too predictable.

- too few regens that show promise. at a youth facility like man utd, there should be better.

- i donno if i played too much, but i can tell when a goal is about to be scored. there's a slight lag before the move starts lol.

- player consistency is taken too literally. if berbatov just scored six goals in six games, rest assured he won't be scoring anything in the next few games. he might actually hit ratings below six, just to keep his stats modest.

-transfer fees are unrealistic. who would pay forty mil for david silva? i'd rather just get ribery. you can't buy villa for under fifty mil. his real life value isn't anywhere near...

i'll add later if i remember something.

have fun and don't uninstall if you lost too many games/got fired.

it just means you're doing something wrong which can be fixed with a few right clicks :]

SO!

I loaned out Nasri for a season to Tottenham, he did really well.

Made room for him in the first team because he showed GREAT potential, Valencia offers 17M for him and the board of directors sell him...I really hate that they can go against my decision, they did the same with Nani last season.

My Team as of half way through the 2010-2011 season:

GK - Joe Hart/Tomasz Kuscszak

DR - Rafael/Wes Brown/John O'Shea

DL - Patrice Evra/Fabio

DC - Rio Ferdinand/Chris Smalling

DC - Nemanja Vidic/Jonny Evans

MR - Antonio Valencia/Sofiane Feghouli

ML - Angel Di Maria/Mesut Ozil/Ryan Giggs

MC - James Milner/Michael Carrick/Paul Scholes

MC - Darren Fletcher/Anderson/Darron Gibson

ST - Neymar/Federico Macheda/Danny Welbeck

ST - Wayne Rooney/Ezin Bekdemir/Filippo Inzaghi

In retrospect I wish I had spent my transfer budget more wisely. I'd have liked to of brought in at least one world class player but have gone for players i think i could develop with the exception of Inzaghi who acts as a Tutor more than anything. Does anyone have any suggestions on what positions most need strengthening in my squad, im looking for world class suggestions rather than young prospects at the moment.

Im midway into my 3rd season now, just thought i'd go through my career so far

Season 1

Premier League Finished: 1st - 23 Wins 13 Draws 12 Losses

League Cup Finished: 1st

FA Cup Finished: 1st

Champions League Finished: First knockout round

Community Shield Finished: 1st

Transfers IN

Lacina Traore - 2.5 Mil

Luc Castaignos - 2.5 Mil

Gary Cahill - 8 Mil

Marek Hamsik - 18 Mil

Roderick Miranda - 2 Mil

Alexandre Coeff - 1.6 Mil

Alphonse Areola - 875k

Alex Smithies - 700k

Ibrahim Affelay - 10.75Mil

Marco Verratti - 1 Mil (combined)

Vaclev Kadlec - 3.7 Mil

Andy Carroll - 6 Mil

Transfers OUT

Rodrigo Possebon - 1.6 Mil

Oliver Norwood - 700k

+ Loans

Season 2

Premier League Finished: 2nd 22 Wins 10 Draws 6 Losses

League Cup Finished: Fourth round

FA Cup Finished: Fifth round

Champions League Finished: 1st

Community Shield Finished: 2nd

Super Cup Finished: 1st

Transfers IN

Kevin-Prince Boateng - 3.3 Mil

Iker Muniain - 21 Mil

Chris Kirkland - 3.3 Mil

4 Regens - 5.6 Mil

Transfers OUT

Tom Cleverley - 5 Mil

Joshua King - 1.8 Mil

Ritchie De Laet - 1.6 Mil

John O'Shea - 6 Mil

Michael Owen - 1.1 Mil

Mame Biram Diouf - 5.25 Mil

This was all done on my database, no changes except for transfer updates and league changes

I was on my way out of the champions league, 1-2 vs Barcelona (I had played 54 games without losing before this game... and I had a lot of defenders injured; Brown, Cathcart, Spence, O'shea...)...... I got Vidic injured in minute 72, and I had to put in Evra from the bench as centreback... Evra got sent off after just 4 minutes, so my "best" option was to play Gibson as centreback(!)... so I now play vs Barcelona with 10 men and Gibson as centreback and I am on my way out of the champions league... and with just a couple of minutes left Vaughan makes it 2-2! and in the last minute vaughan scores again and makes it 3-2 with a great solo-goal! probably my favourite victory as Man Utd manager so far :):)

My Team as of half way through the 2010-2011 season:

GK - Joe Hart/Tomasz Kuscszak

DR - Rafael/Wes Brown/John O'Shea

DL - Patrice Evra/Fabio

DC - Rio Ferdinand/Chris Smalling

DC - Nemanja Vidic/Jonny Evans

MR - Antonio Valencia/Sofiane Feghouli

ML - Angel Di Maria/Mesut Ozil/Ryan Giggs

MC - James Milner/Michael Carrick/Paul Scholes

MC - Darren Fletcher/Anderson/Darron Gibson

ST - Neymar/Federico Macheda/Danny Welbeck

ST - Wayne Rooney/Ezin Bekdemir/Filippo Inzaghi

In retrospect I wish I had spent my transfer budget more wisely. I'd have liked to of brought in at least one world class player but have gone for players i think i could develop with the exception of Inzaghi who acts as a Tutor more than anything. Does anyone have any suggestions on what positions most need strengthening in my squad, im looking for world class suggestions rather than young prospects at the moment.

Your goalkeepers aren't that good. Both hart and Kus have low positioning stats. Neither are consistent enough to cut it in important games. I'd get adler. Costs twenty mil.

Smalling sucks. He has absolutely no pace. Unless you plan on playing deep defensive line/Counter attack EVERY game [which is unfeasible specially against smaller teams], you should get someone better/faster. Get otamendi if he is still in velez.

Feghouli is good after several seasons. I don't think he'll do well so early. Valencia is decent but not great. I got lucky and signed ribery on a free after three seasons. You might wanna get someone like amrabaat to add some consistency.

Ozil isn't a good left winger. He's a great central play maker though. He has really low work rate, and doesn't work hard enough down the flanks.

Giggs and Scholes take away too much money every week given how poorly they play. Neither have the ability to play a full game without pumping pills. And neither can be relied with attack duties.

finally, if neymar/rooney get injured, you're going to have trouble. macheda or welbeck aren't ready for first team action. neither is bekdemir. inzaghi is washed up too.

i'm curious as to how you're doing in the league.

Your goalkeepers aren't that good. Both hart and Kus have low positioning stats. Neither are consistent enough to cut it in important games. I'd get adler. Costs twenty mil.

Smalling sucks. He has absolutely no pace. Unless you plan on playing deep defensive line/Counter attack EVERY game [which is unfeasible specially against smaller teams], you should get someone better/faster. Get otamendi if he is still in velez.

Feghouli is good after several seasons. I don't think he'll do well so early. Valencia is decent but not great. I got lucky and signed ribery on a free after three seasons. You might wanna get someone like amrabaat to add some consistency.

Ozil isn't a good left winger. He's a great central play maker though. He has really low work rate, and doesn't work hard enough down the flanks.

Giggs and Scholes take away too much money every week given how poorly they play. Neither have the ability to play a full game without pumping pills. And neither can be relied with attack duties.

finally, if neymar/rooney get injured, you're going to have trouble. macheda or welbeck aren't ready for first team action. neither is bekdemir. inzaghi is washed up too.

i'm curious as to how you're doing in the league.

Not everyone has to have a brilliant squad all the time, most people enjoy playing with limitations. Anyone could just buy all the best players and win everything easily but it takes at least some amount of skill to win without just thinking "buy buy buy buy".

Hey guys, my game crashed so I'm going to have another stab at United, good thing as well as I wasn't doing great at all.

Has anyone bought Kolarov from Lazio at the start, he looks pretty good to me and all major clubs are chasing him atm?

What do you think guys? Thanks in advance.

its one thing to have cheap/decent players and make things challenging, and another to have a bunch of old players and lose every big match.

i dont see how someone can win anything major with giggs/scholes/inzaghi two seasons in the game.

Well by the way he's shown his squad they're just there as backup, nobody plays their third choice in a position much. And there's nothing wrong with his 1st XI.

Archived