Developing a tactic set - A really quick and simple approach just in time for FM10!

Morning ladies and gents

I thought I would share with you my current method of tactic development which is applicable for all teams regardless of stature. I will quite simply take you through how you can set up a simple tactic set - with Standard, Attack and Defend variants - in less than 10 minutes and without spending a lifetime micro managing every tiny detail! Sound good? Read on

Step 1: Assess the squad

For the purposes of demonstrating the approach, I have selected my beloved Man Utd to manage.

Quite simply, head into the squad screen and filter by assistant reports. Hit 'current ability' at the top and you have a breakdown of who are the best players in your squad and their best positions respectively.

Next step, put your best players into their best positions on the tactics screen! Simple eh? One caveat here - use a little common sense. Don't play 3 strikers, 1 CB etc. As a general rule, I like to play 4 at the back as I believe it gives you defensive stability whilst also offering a wide threat from the full backs, regardless of how you position the midfield or attack.

Bearing that in mind, I have chosen to set up as follows:

Berbatov Tevez

Rooney (AMC) Ronaldo (AMR)

Carrick Scholes

Evra Ferdinand Vidic Brown

Van der Sar

Now this may well look bizarre to you but in reality I am simply playing a 4222 variant. As expressed above, I have defensive stability in the back 4, width from Evra, Brown and Ronaldo and central midfield influence from Carrick, Scholes and Rooney.

Most importantly, every player is playing in their optimum role which will maximise team performance. Step 1 complete!

Step 2: Assign roles

This is so simple it's beautiful! Go into the tactics screen, select each player and use the drop down menu on the right to assign the relevant player role. ie For Van der Sar, click GK, for Carrick click Midfielder, for Rooney click Attacking Midfielder etc.

You are now 90% of the way to creating the 'standard' version of your tactic set. Some very quick amendments to make and you are good to go.

In the tactics screen, click on mentality so you can see the individual players' mentality. It has been well documented that there shouldn't really be a gap of more than 8 notches between the most defensive member of the team and the most attacking member of the team. So, bearing in mind that this is the standard or 'normal' tactic, ensure that the DC and GK mentalities are brought up to the lowest notch of normal and any of the attacking players who currently have attacking mentalities are brought down to the highest notch of normal. This will ensure there is no more than an 8 notch gap between the GK and the Striker.

Save this tactic as Standard.

Step 3: Develop the Attack and Defend versions

With the Standard version saved, it is really easy to create the other versions of the tactic.

For Attack, simply increase each player's mentality, closing down and creative freedom by 4-8 notches (I tend to go for 6 but be as brave or as weak as you like). Similarly, shorten each player's passing instruction by 4 - 8 notches. Finally, in the team instructions, play wide, quick tempo, a pushed up defensive line and time wasting rarely. Save this version as Attack.

For Defend, take the Standard version and do the opposite! Lower mentality, closing down and creative freedom by 4-8 notches, lengthen passing by 4-8 notches and in team instructions play narrow, slow tempo, deep defensive line and plenty of time wasting! I would also advise ticking counter attack for this version. (I also use counter attack for the Standard version but that is totally up to you.) As a means of keeping tight, I would also change FB's forward runs to rarely to hold a tighter defensive line.

You know what? We're done! I've never been one to have 7 versions to a tactic, but if you did want to expand your options, it's very simple. From Standard, maybe just add 2 notches to each of the variables as described above to create a slightly more moderate attack tactic. For a less defensive tactic, simply take away 2 notches from the Standard variables. Just play around and see how comfortable you are with the 3 tactic set. You can always create further versions if required.

And then there's always the final step.........

Step 4: Version Picking

The bane of many an FM gamer's life, this is something which (as you might have guessed) I keep nice and simple.

Firstly, get out of the habit of thinking in terms of playing at home and at playing away. I have seen so many posts about people struggling to get any sort of form together playing away and this is inevitably because people are of the mindset that if they play away from home they should be using a more defensive minded tactic. Not true!

I simply use match odds:

- If you're the favourite, then play the Attack version. You want to be taking the game to your opponent.

- If odds are close, then opt for Standard. You should be able to play your game without compromising yourself unnecessarily.

-If odds are against you........play Standard! The Defend tactic is really for closing games out or where you don't think you have a hope in hell of getting a result. Before the match, sit back and think "If this game was real, would I hope to get some form of result here?" If so, then go Standard. To me, Defend is a cop out really! (NB if you have developed say 5 tactics using the guidelines above, then you could maybe test a moderate defensive tactic in this situation. Up to you!)

Now I know you don't want to hear it, but you will prob have to use 2 if not 3 versions in a match. It's very easy however! Start with the tactic that best suits your chances of success (as detailed above) then apply the following:

- Winning comfortably using the Attack version? Take it easy and switch to Standard

- Goal down with 30 minutes to go using the Standard version? Switch to Attack to get the goal!

- 1-0 up after 80 minutes? Get the old Defend version out and waste some time!!

- Playing Attack and being overrun? Ease up into the Standard version for a more balanced approach.

Now, I don't think anyone could argue that those changes are hard to implement! It's all common sense isn't it?

Conclusion

I hope this has proved useful. I just wanted to show how easy it can be to set up a set and then get on with enjoying the game. Tactics should be simple and reliable. Once they're in place, you can go out and bring in the quality players that really make the difference. In reality, Man Utd should and will beat West Brom at home with simple tactical design and that is down to the fact that 1v1, each United player is better than his West Brom counterpart. This is absolutely key to your success. Always invest in the best players you can to give yourself the best chance of success. Don't come back and tell me the tactics haven't worked because West Brom haven't won the Premiership - again a little common sense goes a long way!!

I'd welcome any comments on this and would be more than happy to answer any questions people may have or to explore other facets of the game and how I play.

Cheers

saab693

Good post Saab, well thought out and simple to apply.

Can I ask what sort of results you have been getting by using this method. I don't mean I want you to give me your trophies you have won, but generally do you find this effective. Have you tried it as a 'lower rep team' for a particular league, ie Wigan in the Premiership, and if so does it enable you to hold your own or to over-achieve?

Also what are your thoughts on the use of free-roles, playmakers, target men etc within this system/method?

Good post Saab, well thought out and simple to apply.

Can I ask what sort of results you have been getting by using this method. I don't mean I want you to give me your trophies you have won, but generally do you find this effective. Have you tried it as a 'lower rep team' for a particular league, ie Wigan in the Premiership, and if so does it enable you to hold your own or to over-achieve?

Also what are your thoughts on the use of free-roles, playmakers, target men etc within this system/method?

Cheers dave.

For the most part I play in the lower divisions anyway (see dafuge's challenge) so I have used this set up right from the Blue Square South up to the Premiership!

I have certainly had success with mid table teams, but I think the key to that was definitely the players. I use scout reports and only sign players which are deemed 6-7 stars in ability (or potential if I am looking for players for the future).

I fill the squad (subject to the budget) with as many 6/7 star rated players as possible, which can quickly turn a mid table side into a title contender anyway, particularly in the lower leagues!

As regards free roles, these are set within the drop down menu I believe (for example, Rooney has one as an AMC). For the two strikers, I tend to choose one as 'striker' and one as 'targetman' just to add something extra to the attack. They have different player instructions which can be a real pain for the defence! I don't actually select 'use playmaker' or 'use targetman' as I'd rather players had as many options open to them as possible, especially in the more attacking variant.

Thanks for the feedback!

This is nice and straightforward, saab, and I follow the reasoning behind most of it. Where would you set tempo, width and defensive line in the standard formation, and how do you decide which is best for your team?

I notice that you - very wisely - avoid the subject of team talks but clearly these can be critical in ensuring the side plays to its potential.

For Attack, simply increase each player's mentality, closing down and creative freedom by 4-8 notches (I tend to go for 6 but be as brave or as weak as you like). Similarly, shorten each player's passing instruction by 4 - 8 notches

Sorry for sounding stupid but do i do both of these tweaks for the attack version?

This is nice and straightforward, saab, and I follow the reasoning behind most of it. Where would you set tempo, width and defensive line in the standard formation, and how do you decide which is best for your team?

I notice that you - very wisely - avoid the subject of team talks but clearly these can be critical in ensuring the side plays to its potential.

Thanks emphyrio!

On the basis that the standard version is 'normal' in nature, I would leave all those settings bang in the middle. The logic behind this is that normal tempo and width offers you room for maneuvre without being overly cautious or cavalier. As regards defensive line, I always link this to mentality. If all of the players have normal mentalities, then it makes sense to keep the defensive line at normal too!

Does that clear everything up? Let me know if you need anything else!

For Attack, simply increase each player's mentality, closing down and creative freedom by 4-8 notches (I tend to go for 6 but be as brave or as weak as you like). Similarly, shorten each player's passing instruction by 4 - 8 notches

Sorry for sounding stupid but do i do both of these tweaks for the attack version?

Yeah all those tweaks are for the attack version mate

Also on attack do you change your GK instructions aswell ?thanks

Yes, I would change all the settings for the keeper too. The only one I'd be slightly careful with is closing down, as you obviously don't want him closing down all over the show! Own half should still be fine in an attacking tactic as you would expect the ball to be in the opponents half most of the time anyway.

All good?

Thanks mate just getting these together then when ive played a few games shall give some feeback

Could i still select Gerrard as my Playmaker and Torres Target man with ball to feet or would it upset the tactic in anyway? thanks

Nice post. I am always using a variety of thoughts to determine how to play at the start. I get it right a lot of the time, but too often I think I get it wrong. Especially, in close oddes matches both away and home. I completely agree that Away games are best approached by playing Standard, as I have seen very little other than being overrun when I play defensively.

So, Questions regarding the odds and picking a tactic at home:

When the odds are reasonably close, say 6-4 or you are a pick 'em favorite at HOME, even tho you are home and a favorite, you would suggest to keep it simple and start off playing Standard?

If yes, do you have a specific odds that you see that would push you to play Attack to start instead?

As regards team talks, I'm a big fan of leaving the assistant to do it, as well as press conferences. It's an area of the game I''m just not interested in, though I believe there are some excellent threads on how to manage team talks (I remember Wolfsong did a very good one)

Thanks mate just getting these together then when ive played a few games shall give some feeback

Could i still select Gerrard as my Playmaker and Torres Target man with ball to feet or would it upset the tactic in anyway? thanks

I look forward to your feedback!

The reasoning behind my set up is not to produce set tactics as such, but more a method of creating 3 versions which cover all in game situations.

Feel free to use Playmaker and Target man by all means! This isn't the be all and end all, just a way of setting up. With two such excellent players it can only be a good thing to get the most out of them. Try with and without the settings selected and see which you are happier with.

Look forward to hearing how you get on

Nice post. I am always using a variety of thoughts to determine how to play at the start. I get it right a lot of the time, but too often I think I get it wrong. Especially, in close oddes matches both away and home. I completely agree that Away games are best approached by playing Standard, as I have seen very little other than being overrun when I play defensively.

So, Questions regarding the odds and picking a tactic at home:

When the odds are reasonably close, say 6-4 or you are a pick 'em favorite at HOME, even tho you are home and a favorite, you would suggest to keep it simple and start off playing Standard?

If yes, do you have a specific odds that you see that would push you to play Attack to start instead?

Exactly my thinking mate! The attack version is very attacking to be fair and I would only recommend it where you are odds on favourite or if you are chasing a game.

If you did fancy playing a tactic slightly more attacking than the Standard version, then why not take the Standard tactic and make the '+2' and '-2' variations I indicated above? That should give you a reasonably attacking approach without being as gung-ho as the full on tactic

Hope that helps

Exactly my thinking mate! The attack version is very attacking to be fair and I would only recommend it where you are odds on favourite or if you are chasing a game.

If you did fancy playing a tactic slightly more attacking than the Standard version, then why not take the Standard tactic and make the '+2' and '-2' variations I indicated above? That should give you a reasonably attacking approach without being as gung-ho as the full on tactic

Hope that helps

So, just to clarify, when you made your Standard tactic, you just initially used the "Set to" instructions for each player's position then slightly modified them as you stated above by brining their mentalities closer together?

So, just to clarify, when you made your Standard tactic, you just initially used the "Set to" instructions for each player's position then slightly modified them as you stated above by brining their mentalities closer together?

Absolutely! Pick the best players in their best positions > set to > adjust mentalities and save!

Tweaks you could consider (as discussed above) are counter attacking and the use of playmakers/targetmen.

Aside from that, it's very straightforward to get the initial version set up.

Give me a shout if you need anything else

Yes ive been starting with the standard version the odds have been close or me as Fav

That is interesting. The Man City game would obviously be tough, but you would have expected to do better in some of the others. Try using the Attack tactic against teams you think aren't as good as you and see if that improves things.

That is interesting. The Man City game would obviously be tough, but you would have expected to do better in some of the others. Try using the Attack tactic against teams you think aren't as good as you and see if that improves things.

Any progress? I'd like to see how you get on over the whole season. Would be very surprised if you were to finish 8th!

Anyone else trying these theories?

I am quite thick, and can't figure this step:

Quite simply, head into the squad screen and filter by assistant reports. Hit 'current ability' at the top and you have a breakdown of who are the best players in your squad and their best positions respectively.

Can get the assistant report, but cant find the 'current ability' button....?!?!?!?!

chrisy yeah 6 games is a lot to lose, but 4 points off the top isn't too shabby. Who have you signed? See my post about bringing in 6/7 star rated players. If you look at the assistant reports for united it's surprising how weak the team still is in parts, particularly down the left flank! As I said the emphasis is still very much on putting together the best side you can and then letting the tactics bring out the best in the players.

Let's see if we can sort this out for you!

This sounds too easy lol

I totally agree! This is very simple tactical design but if you're getting the rest of the factors correct (transfer policy, motivation and training) then these ideas will serve you very well!

Have you been testing?

chrisy yeah 6 games is a lot to lose, but 4 points off the top isn't too shabby. Who have you signed? See my post about bringing in 6/7 star rated players. If you look at the assistant reports for united it's surprising how weak the team still is in parts, particularly down the left flank! As I said the emphasis is still very much on putting together the best side you can and then letting the tactics bring out the best in the players.

Let's see if we can sort this out for you!

I have signed Srna and Vargas. I though you could only get 5 star players on FM10? Also wheres your post about 6-7 star players? How are you supposed to know the best tactic which suits your team.

I have signed Srna and Vargas. I though you could only get 5 star players on FM10? Also wheres your post about 6-7 star players? How are you supposed to know the best tactic which suits your team.

This was written pre fm10 so the star system has changed, you're right. I would aim for 4-5 star players on that basis.

As regards best tactic, do you best formation? Or best version?

I have not had time to play fm properly and just about to start my first league game so only time will tell, cant tell in pre season really. will come back and give feedback if you like. Oh cant buy any players either no money

Ok mate would certainly be interested to see how you get on!

This was written pre fm10 so the star system has changed, you're right. I would aim for 4-5 star players on that basis.

As regards best tactic, do you best formation? Or best version?

Do you mean base my best team around the formation?

Sorry mate that was poorly worded!

Yeah what did you mean by 'best tactic'?

Like how do i know wht tactic to play. Should i just experiment with different tactics to find which is the best one for my team?

Absolutely! Pick the best players in their best positions > set to > adjust mentalities and save!

Tweaks you could consider (as discussed above) are counter attacking and the use of playmakers/targetmen.

Aside from that, it's very straightforward to get the initial version set up.

Give me a shout if you need anything else

Sounds nice and easy. Question about wide player settings:

When you Set To for a player playing ML or AML, for example, what do you set them to? Midfielder, Attacking Midfielder or Winger?

Like how do i know wht tactic to play. Should i just experiment with different tactics to find which is the best one for my team?

Do you mean out of Standard, Defend and Attack? Or which formation ie 442, 433?

I'd choose the formation based on where the best players in your team suit. For example, if you have only one decent MC but 2 excellent AMRs then you may be tempted to play a 433.

As regards which version, I would use match odds as described above, namely attacking where odds are in your favour and standard where odds are even or against you

Sounds nice and easy. Question about wide player settings:

When you Set To for a player playing ML or AML, for example, what do you set them to? Midfielder, Attacking Midfielder or Winger?

In theory mate, any of them! It depends what role you want him to perform. I personally choose Winger as I want him to hug the touchline and whip balls into the box!

I find this thread really interesting because this is something I have trouble with. I'm great at signing players, training and setting up tactics that suit my players but I'm absolutely terrible at picking which overall tactic to use when and where (ie to attack or play defensive). I'm full of indecision and am always contradicting myself in my approach to games. I think I often try to over think and complicate things tactically. It's so easy to do when you get so much conflicting information in the game from match odds, scout reports, pitch sizes, weather and backroom advice. Your approach seems to be the simple way that I want to play the game by just getting the best out of your players and not worrying too much about how the opposition line up. I'm going to try this over the next week or two and let you know how I get on.

I find this thread really interesting because this is something I have trouble with. I'm great at signing players, training and setting up tactics that suit my players but I'm absolutely terrible at picking which overall tactic to use when and where (ie to attack or play defensive). I'm full of indecision and am always contradicting myself in my approach to games. I think I often try to over think and complicate things tactically. It's so easy to do when you get so much conflicting information in the game from match odds, scout reports, pitch sizes, weather and backroom advice. Your approach seems to be the simple way that I want to play the game by just getting the best out of your players and not worrying too much about how the opposition line up. I'm going to try this over the next week or two and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your thoughts mate, I will looking forward to hearing back from you!

Speaking of version picking, have any of your guys been testing the FM10 demo as of yet? It's totally changed the way tactics are set up and I'm struggling to get my head around it so far. Think 3 versions is bad? Try 7!! It's a decision mine field!

I am intrigued to see how popular the tactics creator becomes when the game is released come month end

In theory mate, any of them! It depends what role you want him to perform. I personally choose Winger as I want him to hug the touchline and whip balls into the box!

great. I suspected as much. One other question about that. Say you are playing a 442 but your left winger's best position is AML, would you Set To AND play him up in that spot? Seems like that is what you were suggesting above even tho it might look a bit offset on the screen with the RW in the MR slot.

great. I suspected as much. One other question about that. Say you are playing a 442 but your left winger's best position is AML, would you Set To AND play him up in that spot? Seems like that is what you were suggesting above even tho it might look a bit offset on the screen with the RW in the MR slot.

Yeah I would put him in the amr slot on the screen too. It may look weird but in reality that's what ronaldo did for united!

Anyone been testing on the demo? I have found counter attacks to be an absolute killer! I'll be looking really good on the offensive then - bang! - right down the other end and I'm a goal down! Can see me struggling a bit with fm10 to start with!

I always struggle to start with. If i wont to retain possession and look for an open should i play slow tempo and short passing, and also if i wont to attack i always though that fast tempo and short passing was better than fast tempo and direct passing, which one is better?

I always struggle to start with. If i wont to retain possession and look for an open should i play slow tempo and short passing, and also if i wont to attack i always though that fast tempo and short passing was better than fast tempo and direct passing, which one is better?

Slow tempo and short passing definitely encourages a possession based game, though I always find short passing and quick tempo to be the most effective, assuming you are playing with a top quality team. I don't tend to use Direct passing and quick tempo except for counter attacking - I think it leads to poor possessional stats and loads of aimless balls forward, especially when coupled with an attacking mentality.

As a side, I have adapted my approach slightly in light of the FM10 demo. Nothing too drastic. The steps are now as follows:

1) Assess squad - pick best 11 in their favourite positions

2) Build tactic using tactics wizard. Choose mentality framework that suits your team ie more rigid for teams that are less talented and more fluid for more talented teams.

I created a standard fluid version of the tactic I noted in the first post and ran a holiday season with it. Man Utd came second with 43 points, 5 behind Chelsea. I can provide a screenshot later if required.

I think this is a good base for starting a tactic, as it is based on the solid principles of TTF. I will now have to tweak it to make it a tactic that can win the league and will report back when I've managed that!

How's everyone getting on? Need any help?

Archived