The South Korea WC thread

Samamatara

In group B along with Argentina, Greece and Nigeria.

No need to point out that Greece, Nigeria and South Korea will be fighting it out for the 2nd place behind Argentina.

Insane amount of goals scored this season by Messi, Higuain and Tevez combined, I seriously think that the 2nd place might come down to whoever concedes the least against Argentina, I reckon it will be that tight between the 3 teams.

South Korea have been generally poor in the run up to the World Cup, and they are still looking for that striker to support Park Joo Young in the favoured 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 formation.

I have NO idea how Greece and Nigeria play, but I do know how we play and it's pretty rubbish without the players from european leagues.

so mon non of them getting an injury before the WC :D

Star Players:

Park Ji Sung© - mixed performances for his club Manchester United this season, but no doubt he will be the first name on the team sheet, not sure he is a great captain material but he will be captain nevertheless.

Lee Chung Yong - stand out performances for Bolton has raised his profile a bit, I think he has the right wing spot nailed for the World Cup thanks to that. The team definitely needs a confident player with a few tricks up his sleeve as the team can be a bit too 'pragmatic' at times. Only player in the team who possess the ability to get past players with skill rather than just speed/persistence.

Park Joo Young - before his injury, he was doing a good job for Monaco, scoring some goals and generally being a nuisance to the opposite defenders. Hopefully he will regain his form, he has a bit of that clinical finishing ability and positioning.

yeah against Ivory Coast we loooked much better with the players from european leagues joining the team. However Ivory Coast were without a manager at the time so maybe that played a part too.

Lee Young Pyo is still in the side, but it remains to be seen whether he will be first choice or not.

• 3 weeks later...
South Korea 30-man preliminary World Cup squad:

Kim Young-Kwang (Ulsan), Lee Woon-Jae (Suwon), Jung Sung-Ryong (Seongnam); Kang Min-Soo (Suwon), Kwak Tae-Hwi (Kyoto), Kim Dong-Jin (Ulsan), Kim Hyung-Il (Pohang), Oh Beom-Seok (Ulsan), Lee Young-Pyo (Al Hilal), Lee Jung-Soo (Kashima Antlers), Hwang Jae-Won (Pohang), Cho Won-Hee (Wigan), Cha Du-Ri (SC Freiburg), Cho Yong-Hyung (Jeju); Koo Ja-Cheol (Jeju), Ki Sung-Yong (Celtic), Kim Bo-Kyung (Oita), Kim Nam-Il (Tom Tomsk), Shin Hung-Min (Pohang), Kim Jae-Sung (Pohang), Kim Jung-Woo (Gwangju), Lee Chung-Yong (Bolton) Kim Chi-Woo (Seoul), Ji-Sung Park (Manchester United); Park Ju-Young (AS Monaco), Ahn Jung-Hwan (Dalian Shide), Lee Seung-Ryul (Seoul), Yeom Ki-Hun (Suwon), Lee Keun-Ho (Jubilo Iwata), Lee Dong-Guk (Jeonbuk).

Full story here.

• 4 weeks later...

awesome victory over japan, 2-0 with park ji sung and park joo young scoring.

really good spirit in the team right now, the main question is who the starting goal keeper would be, Lee Won Jae is experienced but in bad form, Jung Sung-Ryong have been starting the recent friendlies and he's been solid, and his form club level has been much better too.

Atm, my team would be:

GK: Jung Sung Ryong

DL: Lee Young Pyo

DC: Lee Jung Soo

DC: Kwak Tae Hwi

DR: Cha Doo Ri

ML: Park Ji Sung

MC: Kim Jung Woo

MC: Kim Nam Il

MC: Ki Sung Yong

MR: Lee Chung Yong

FC: Park Joo Young

I know we won't play 4-5-1, but i haven't seen anything convincing from any of the forwards who have partnered Park Joo Young so far and the quality in midfield is much better. Park Ji Sung plays wing-forward role for Man United (or used to anyway when Ronaldo was there) so Park Joo Young won't be isolated

what a fecking win!

can't really say I'm all that confident on our defence, the greeks made it easy for us by resorting to long balls as soon as we scored and even then we looked shaky when we got tired.

It was lucky we scored early, otherwise it would have been very different.

However, can't complain much about the whole performance. Brilliant performance from the full backs especially and everyone in the attacking end impressed except for Yum Ki Hoon

Come ON!

Rooting for South Korea this World Cup.

They played really well against Greece. Nice flow in the team overall and the work ethic is good. The centre back pair had a few problems and look like the weak link in the side though. Still remains to be seen whether they can beat Nigeria. I hold South Korea as slight favorites to progress compared to Nigeria. The Argentines will be a little too good Im afraid. I hope South Korea convinces me in the next games though. Great entertainment to watch South Korea!

what a rubbish result and rubbish game.

Argentina dominated but all 4 goals were so soft it's frustrating.

It seemed that the players were overwhelmed by the occasion and couldn't even do the basics right. Kim Nam Il was supposed to bring some experience in the midfield but he didn't bring anything but misplaced passes, and Yum Ki Hoon needs to be dropped. He doesn't get past players, has no clever movements well the miss was shocking.

Not much positives from the game, but I guess it was an expected result and we'll have to perform against Nigeria.

Man the miss :( I really thought that was going in..

Yeah. Not a good result and performance today but I dont think it was too bad. Only the result was quite bad as it may well come down to goal difference. Probably a good thing that Nigeria didnt win today though. Now SK have the same goal difference as Greece although with 1 more scored goal. A 2 goal loss today would have ensured progress to the next stage if SK didnt lose against Nigeria and Greece didnt win against Argentina. I also missed Cha Du-Ri today. He was really good against Greece and his replacement didnt do anything better than what I believe Cha could have done.

it seems that cha du ri will be called back in after Oh performing miserably against the argentinians, and Yum Ki hoon is likely to get dropped as well after not doing much in the first 2 games.

It is likely that Lee Dong Gook will be the one replacing Yum Ki Hoon, I'm not totally convinced that he'll make that big an impact, I really think we will do better by going 4-2-1-2-1, with Kim Nam Il coming in as a defensive midfielder and Ki Seung Yong pushed up into a more advanced position to support the forwards.

Now firstly, GET THE **** IN

secondly, WTF WAS THE COACH THINKING

continuing to push forward when Nigeria look dangerous everytime they have the ball, and leaving gaps everywhere.

we will be raped by Uruguay if that kinda tactic (non-tactic really) is used against them.

ecstatic that we reached the last 16, now lets get that pressure off our shoulders and play with more composure, anything from now is a bonus.

Kim Nam Il, what happened to you :(

Very entertaining game. I was so nervous throughout

Norwegian TV pundit saying SK strength is the defensive :D Seriously. I guess he meant the running capacity and work-rate of the midfielders. Biggest weakness of the side is the defense. The centre backs makes me nervous and Chas defensive weaknesses came to clear light today. South Korea will need big improvements defensively if they are to have a chance against Uruguay.

yeah. defense needs working on, it's not really about the personnel, but something about our tactics.

we have the best attacking team we've ever had in history but I think that has kind of shifted our focus from defense to attack.

we do look nice and threatening when we go forward but we leave all sorts of gaps, and it hurts us.

and Yum Ki hoon has to be replaced. He had that one nice cross for Park in the 2nd half but that was it. he stops the momentum of our attack so often, I think against Uruguay it will be best to replace him with a defensive midfielder (Kim Nam Il ****ed things up today but I hope that was just a one off thing), push Ki Sung Yong up and play Park Ji Sung in wide position.

Norwegian TV pundit saying SK strength is the defensive :D

Pretty much anything starting with "Norwegian TV pundit says..." has high chances to be either an exaggeration of a somewhat true fact, or something obvious, or something so outlandish you'd wonder how he did get that job ;)

Who was the football genius in this occasion?

P.S. Good job South Korea. Even though Nigeria not going through made me lost a bet, I'm still cool with Koreans advancing...

Pretty much anything starting with "Norwegian TV pundit says..." has high chances to be either an exaggeration of a somewhat true fact, or something obvious, or something so outlandish you'd wonder how he did get that job ;)

Who was the football genius in this occasion?

P.S. Good job South Korea. Even though Nigeria not going through made me lost a bet, I'm still cool with Koreans advancing...

some dude from viasat 4. cant remember his name. he said SK was strong defensively. Although he reasoned it by pointing to the hard-working midfielders and how they tracked back its a pretty funny thing to say :D

Genuinely Interested to hear your views on how much potential Ki Sung Yong has?

also we're being linked with Cha Du Ri is it?

I'm supporting you all the way boys :cool:

think you could do Uruguay

I think he has the potential to be a really neat and tidy midfielder in your team who will keep possession well, has a good passing range and also has a good shot on him.

I also think he has the attributes to succeed in europe. He is a bit different to Park Ji Sung and Park Joo Young, who are somewhat modest and hardworking. Ki is more suave, has a more confident, don't-care-what-others-think attitude which I think can be harmful to a young player in excess but I think more Korean players going overseas need this confident attitude.

I think he has the potential to be a really neat and tidy midfielder in your team who will keep possession well, has a good passing range and also has a good shot on him.

I also think he has the attributes to succeed in europe. He is a bit different to Park Ji Sung and Park Joo Young, who are somewhat modest and hardworking. Ki is more suave, has a more confident, don't-care-what-others-think attitude which I think can be harmful to a young player in excess but I think more Korean players going overseas need this confident attitude.

Thanks for your verdict mate :)

we saw all that at the start when he first arrived and then he didnt really get a chance after.

His attitude could be something to do with his learning his trade in Australia for a wee while imo :thup: I really like him though tbh :)

great effort by the team, ultimately our defense was the problem yet again, their 2nd goal was a wonderstrike you just gotta admire.

sucks, especially seeing ghana go through which is a team that I would have been comfortable with winning.

Time for rebuilding, and it's worrying/promising at the same time, the likes of Park Ji Sung/Lee Young Pyo/Kim Jung Woo will not be featuring next time which is a big loss but the quality in Lee Chung Yong/Park Joo Young/Ki Sung Yong makes me confident that we will be as good next time.

Archived