Tutoring - Why it won't let you do it, and how to be sure it will.

I've seen a number of threads regarding why sometimes FM10 won't let you tutor a player with someone else. There are a lot of different theories and misinformation on the subject so I thought I'd clear it up.

I decided to get to the bottom of it when I bought a couple of older players to help make my squad more determined overall and it simply wasn't allowing me to match up the players I wanted. Plus I've always found the suggested matchups on the Interaction screen a bit random. This bugged me, so I decided to get to the bottom of it.

There are four main considerations for whether Player A (the tutor) can tutor Player B (the tutee).

• Position - They do NOT need a 'Natural' position in common. But they do need a degree of similarity. For example, a tutor who is an 'Accomplished' MC can tutor a player in that position.
  • Age - The tutor has to be at least 22, as old (or older) than the tutee, AND the tutee can't be over a certain age. This last part varies depending on position, for GK it's 28, Midfielders it's 26 etc. You can actually have a tutor who is younger as long as their age is the same at the time you make the request (i.e. a player who just turned 22 can tutor someone who is already 22).
  • Squad Status - The tutor must have an equal or higher squad status than the tutee. Doesn't matter what this is - can be Indispensable, Backup, whatever
  • Current Reputation - The tutor must have a higher Current Reputation. This is the trickiest one because it's basically a hidden value. This is not quite the same as the 'Reputation' on the Personal screen, but it's fairly closely related and that's your best guide. If one player is Continental and the other is National, you should be OK. If they're both National, you won't know until you try it. (Basically, rep is a large number value which you don't see - players with the same rep on the Personal screen will still have different hidden values)

also

• Current Tutoring/Training - If either player is already tutoring/being tutored or if the tutee is learning a new PPM, then you have to wait until that finishes. If tutor is learning a PPM they can still tutor someone else. Note : you can ask the tutee to learn a new PPM and select their tutor on the same day and you'll get both (as long as the player accepts them).

The first two are more obvious, the third can be easily fixed, and the fourth is the one which can be a bit confusing. There are no other factors that I can determine which have any influence on whether it will let you do it.

In short, you can tutor ANY player as long as a) they aren't over a certain age for their position and b) the tutor is at least as old as them (and at least 22), has an equal or higher squad status, positional similarities and higher rep.

Hope this helps :)

EDIT : This actually isn't 100% watertight. Maybe 98%. All the information is correct in terms of requirements but there's another factor I haven't identified yet. It *might* be related to the last time a player was tutored but I don't think so - I've tested cloning the player in question the clone can be tutored no problem so there's something which isn't transferred which is preventing it. I'll report back.

There is definitely something buggy about tutoring, sometimes all conditions can be met and the option for tutoring won't even be there. And when this happens, sometimes you will get coach tutoring advice (in Backroom advice) and be able to assign a tutor this way, despite having no option visible if you were to try manually.

Good analysis Sphero. I'd welcome some more input to see if this is water-tight or not.

The points are definetely relevant, but its not watertight. look at thread i posted above (it shows hidden attributes but both regens i think)

There is a another aspect that hasn't been mentioned in the thread, I don't know if others have noticed this but if you are learning a player preferred moves then he cannot be tutored. My two pence ;)...

Yep. Also - and not 100% sure of this, might have been another factor - but it seems a player can't be a tutor if already learning a PPM; but he can be asked to learn a PPM if already tutoring.

There is a another aspect that hasn't been mentioned in the thread, I don't know if others have noticed this but if you are learning a player preferred moves then he cannot be tutored. My two pence ;)...

Yeah, this is one of those things which I just assume but actually isn't obvious. I'll add that.

No. take a look at this thread. there is no guarantee. I had to wait a year before they let me tutor barat.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=174438

Yeah, this is something I've come across. Trying to get to the bottom of it.

If anyone finds any flaws in this by all means throw them up. Be aware that the outcome of the tutoring itself is still a lottery though...

Thanks for this.

I had no idea why my old MC couldn't tutor my 16yo MC until i saw your thread Sphereo. Turns out it was because of #3, squad status, thankfully.

EDIT:

I have an issue with two other players.

Edmilson

Position: DMC (natural); DC, MC, AMC (accomplished)

Squad Status: Key Player

Current Reputation: National

Xavier

Position: MC (natural), DMC (accomplished)

Squad Status: Hot Prospect

Current Reputation: Local

For some reason which i can't see, Edmilson won't tutor Xavier. It has nothing to do with previous or current tutoring because i've only just begun this save.

In fact, Edmilson won't tutor any player. Could it perhaps be that players of 21 and under aren't able to tutor other players? My 19yo can't tutor players younger than him either, and my 20yo keeper can't tutor my 17yo keeper, nor can my 16yo's tutor each other.

There is definitely something buggy about tutoring, sometimes all conditions can be met and the option for tutoring won't even be there. And when this happens, sometimes you will get coach tutoring advice (in Backroom advice) and be able to assign a tutor this way, despite having no option visible if you were to try manually.

this is a semi-bug; i'll try to explian how it happens by an e.g.

- i look at the backroom advice screen; nothing of note there

- i immediately go to sign Bernhard Peters (a staff member)

- i pressed continue... some stuff shows up on the inbox (stuff for anything from scout reports to training/board updates etc)

- i look at the backroom advice screen; a member of staff advices that i approach Bernhard Peters (i guess staff cant see what i dont tell them)

PATH ONE

- i ignore

PATH TWO

- i click dismiss

- thinking that "another useless advice has poped up" :rolleyes:

- i click continue a few times thinking that my massive offer must be accepted! :cool:

- i worry a little, and click continue a few more times (more other stuff may appear in the inbox) :confused: Accept my offer already!

- i look on the transfer centre and notice that my offer has been cancelled :mad:

The problem with this semi-bug is that you cant force a backroom advice to pop up, and so cant replicate

Smile there is an option though

PATH THREE

- Click Approach

- offer the massive contract again

- You should get your guy now as normal

I believe that this is the reason why tutoring advice plays up as you noted.

Either way, once the backroom advice is gone, everything should work as normal.

I must add that this is a good post as it clears up a lot of misunderstanding

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT : This actually isn't 100% watertight. Maybe 98%. All the information is correct in terms of requirements but there's another factor I haven't identified yet. It *might* be related to the last time a player was tutored but I don't think so - I've tested cloning the player in question the clone can be tutored no problem so there's something which isn't transferred which is preventing it. I'll report back.

In some cases it can take six months from a player finnished a tutoring sequens until he can start another one.

Also squad status have something to say. If you have signed a vetaran midfielder to tutor a promising youngster, sometimes he need to have squad status set to important player.

this is a semi-bug; i'll try to explian how it happens by an e.g. .........<etc.>

I don't get how signing a staff member relates to the bug/problem I described? Excuse my dumbness, could you explain the workaround a bit better, because if there's a way around it, that'd be cool :D

I don't get how signing a staff member relates to the bug/problem I described? Excuse my dumbness, could you explain the workaround a bit better, because if there's a way around it, that'd be cool :D

The point is that if there is a backroom advice concerning a particular "issue", then attempting to solve the "issue", by any other means (other than the options present in the advice) might encounter a problem.

Think "you cant eat a cake and have it". So if a staff member is dealing with a particular concern - as shown by the backroom advice info - you would have to dismiss the staff members advice before you can deal with it yourself (Read: either you or the staff member can handle the concern - tutoring in this case)

The point is that if there is a backroom advice concerning a particular "issue", then attempting to solve the "issue", by any other means (other than the options present in the advice) might encounter a problem.

Think "you cant eat a cake and have it". So if a staff member is dealing with a particular concern - as shown by the backroom advice info - you would have to dismiss the staff members advice before you can deal with it yourself (Read: either you or the staff member can handle the concern - tutoring in this case)

I'm not sure we're on the same page here mate, the bug I was referring to happens like this:

You tutor a player. 6 months later he finishes being tutored. You go to his "Interaction" screen, and see that he can't be tutored again- the option isn't there, and no tutors appear at the bottom (he can usually be tutored again if you wait another 6 months-ish). Now, sometimes when you to the backroom advice screen (before the 6 month "cool down" has elapsed) a coach will recommend this previously un-tutorable player to be tutored, which you can accept - and, voila! You can tutor him again before you would otherwise be able to manually.

Nice post. Didnt know one or two of these restrictions, although I could have guessed them.

Now I have a question:

What attributes would the ultimate tutor have?

- The position

- 20 Determination

- 20 Influence(?) I heard this is better.

A tutorer who has, 20 in determination, loyalty, pressure, temperament, sportsmanship, proffesionalism. Then there is the case if you need a player to imprve his adaptability, if so 20 is nice to have. Finnaly you have the ambition attribute, someone wants really ambitious players someone don't. Influence don't improve based on tutoring, but even if the tests I've done haven't made some clear answers, there are people saying that players with high influence are better tutorers.

Yep. Also - and not 100% sure of this, might have been another factor - but it seems a player can't be a tutor if already learning a PPM; but he can be asked to learn a PPM if already tutoring.

ive come across this, the way to get around this is that you have to ask him to learn it at the same you ask him to learn from the tutor.

interact and ask him to learn ppm, then without hitting continue (you dont want game time to pass) go straight back to the interact screen and ask him to learn from tutor. The ored you do it makes no difference. but you only get one shot at it. if he chooses not to want to learn that ppm, you wont be ablt to ask him again untill he completes being tutored, so you need to be pretty sure he will want to learn that ppm

I have a question :)

What affects the chances of the youngster being happy, unsure or refusing to be tutored??

I know about the things already mentioned here, and know how to make the tutor happy (depending on what option is selected and his squad status), and that personalities might effect the outcome.

But I have a Balanced 17-year old, who simply refuses to let my older and more metally developed players tutor him. The 17-year old is not even valued, or highly rated by my backroom staff. What gives??

Also can there be a bad effect to having a high INF/DET youngster be tutored by and older guy with lesser values in those stats, but are superior in other mental stats??

F.x. I have an 18-year old defender with DET 18 and INF 16, but still needs to improve the other mental stats. But I am unsure if he could risk loosing some of his DET/INF if tutored by a DET 16/INF 14 player.

I think that youngsters are more likely to accept high reputation players as mentors, although this is just an assumption on my part.

The foolproof way to always have a youngster accept your tutors is to have the youngster like you. Usually you'd achieve this by praising them via player interaction, or during teamtalks, but this requires them to being actually in the first team and playing well, which is obviously not always possible.

The way I get "liked" status with youngsters is by praising them 3 times before they sign for you i.e. in player interaction you do "will be a star player",then "in awe of his ability", then "do the utmost to sign him".

Providing he actually wants to sign for you, this will go down well with him and a lot of the time you will appear in his liked personnel. It's a bit exploity maybe, but then again I think that a 16 year old telling his manager he doesn't want a tutor is ridiculous, so it balances out in my mind.

As for changing INF/DET, Influence isn't affected by tutoring, and it's always a good idea to have a tutor with higher Determination, as in my opinion this is probably the most key attribute for any player. On the other hand, a player with a crap personality can be unlikely to develop fully, so you have to weigh it up.

F.x. I have an 18-year old defender with DET 18 and INF 16, but still needs to improve the other mental stats. But I am unsure if he could risk loosing some of his DET/INF if tutored by a DET 16/INF 14 player.

He can and will lose determination if tutored by this player. I have first hand experience of this. You as manager have to take a view on whether its worth sacrificing determination for the chance of a better overall personality.

Thanks for the replies guys ... so no sure fire way to tell if my youngsters will accept my tutors :(

Just weird that my 17-year old with absolutely no reputation would reject a guy who have played hundreds of 1st. team matches. Ok, I might only be Bath City in the English level 6 division, but that guy have achieved NOTHING so far .... how dare he reject my proposals.

Of course, I then decided to loan him out for a while.

Archived