FM 10 Official AS Monaco Thread - Better than Deschamps and Wenger?

james1946

Welcome to the
AS Monaco FC
Thread

About AS Monaco FC

Association Sportive de Monaco Football Club are a Monégasque football club based in the Principality of Monaco. They play in the Ligue 1 and are one of the most successful clubs in French football, having won seven league titles and five Coupe de France trophies. They have also regularly competed in European football, becoming runners-up in both the UEFA Cup Winner's Cup and UEFA Champions League in 1992 and 2004, respectively.

They enjoyed numerous successes in the 1970s and late 1980s under the managerial tenures of Lucien Leduc and Arsène Wenger, while Didier Deschamps lead Monaco to the French League Cup title in 2002/2003 and to its first UEFA Champions League final in 2004. Their traditional colours are red and white, being affectionately known as Les Rouge et Blanc (The Red and Whites).

Year Founded

Status
-Professional

Chairman Status
-Loves the club

Legends
-Jean-Luc Ettori

Icons
-Manuel Amoros,Arsene Wenger,Fabien Barthez,Delio Onnis,Claude Puel,Glenn Hoddle,Jean Tigana,David Trezeguet,Flavio Roma,Thierry Henry.

Favoured Personnel
-None

Fierce Rivals
-Olympique de Marseille

Other Rivals
-OGC Nice,Olympique Lyonnais,AS Cannes,PSG

Average Ticket Price
-£30.40

Average Season Ticket Price
-£290

Season Ticket Holders

Estimated Value
-£59M

Continental Competition
-None

Media Prediction
-8th

Squad Personality
-Ambitious

Captain
-Alejandro Alonso

Vice-Captain
-Diego Perez

The Principality of Monaco

Monaco is a small sovereign city-state located in South Western Europe on the northern central coast of the Mediterranean Sea, having a land border on three sides only with France, and being about 16 km (9.9 mi) away from Italy. Its size is just under 2 km² with an estimated population of almost 33,000.

Monaco is the name of the country as well as the name of its only and capital city. It is often regarded as a tax haven, and many of its inhabitants are wealthy and from foreign countries, making up a majority of the population, at around 84%.

Monaco is a constitutional monarchy and principality, with Prince Albert II as head of state. The House of Grimaldi has ruled Monaco since 1297, and the state's sovereignty was officially recognized by the Franco-Monegasque Treaty of 1861. Despite being independent, Monaco's defence is the responsibility of France.

Stade Louis II

The Stade Louis II is a stadium located in the Fontvieille district of Monaco. It serves as a venue for both football and athletics, being the home of AS Monaco as well as the location of the annual UEFA Super Cup match.

18524 all-seater

Honours

Domestic

Ligue 1

Winners (7): 1961, 1963, 1978, 1982, 1988, 1997, 2000

French Cup

Winners (5): 1960, 1963, 1980, 1985, 1991

French League Cup

Winners (1): 2003

Trophée des champions

Winners (4): 1961, 1985, 1997, 2000

Coupe Gambardella

Winners (2): 1962, 1972

European

UEFA Champions League

Runners-up (1): 2004

UEFA Cup Winners' Cup

Runners-up (1): 1992

Coppa delle Alpi

Winners (3): 1979, 1983, 1984

Start of Season expectations

Transfer Budget/Wage Budget

Top half finish
£.875K £.375K

Continental qualification
£.1M £.400K

Title Challenge
£.1M £.425K

Winner
£.1M £.425K

Squad Analysis

Squad List

1 GK Yohann Thuram-Ulien

2 DF Cédric Mongongu

3 DF Nicolas N'Koulou

4 DF François Modesto

5 MF Diego Pérez (vice-captain)

6 MF Eduardo Costa

7 MF Jean-Jacques Gosso

8 MF Alejandro Alonso (captain)

9 FW Eiður Guðjohnsen

10 FW Park Chu-Young

11 MF Nenê

12 DF Adriano Pereira

13 DF Vincent Muratori

14 DF Dario Šimić

15 DF Thomas Mangani

16 GK Stéphane Ruffier

17 FW Serge Gakpé

18 DF Djimi Traoré

19 DF Patrick Müller

20 FW Juan Pablo Pino

21 MF Malaury Martin

22 MF Mathieu Coutadeur

23 MF Jerko Leko

24 FW Yannick Sagbo

25 MF Lukman Haruna

26 MF Yohan Mollo

27 FW Frédéric Nimani

28 DF Sébastien Puygrenier (on loan from Zenit St. Petersburg)

32 DF Igor Lolo

Best Senior Player

Mathieu Coutadeur

Position
- CM

Nationality
- French

Coutadeur is a sold CM, similar to other French starlets such as Chantôme and Cabaye,

for me his best roles are as a deep-lying playmaker or a box to box midfielder. At the start of the game he is certainly an undisputed starter and only improves over time. Generally gets called up to the French National team a few months into the game.

Goalkeepers

Yohann Thuram-Ulien

Mediocre back-up goalkeeper, he is young and has room for improvement but after the first season a better back-up could be purchased.

Stephane Ruffier

Good young goalkeeper, 2 years senior to Ulien but is considerably better. Has room for improvement to, can do you a good job in ligue 1 and is only worth replacing with a top-class keeper in the seasons to come.

Full-backs

Igor Lolo

First choice right-back, likes to get forward and has reasonably good physical stats to allow him to out muscle players when the team is on the defensive. He is let down by average concentration and I have notived him getting caught napping when coming up against quality wingers.

Djimi Traore

First choice left-back, has good physical stats and also good tackling, reliable defensively. But for a full-back on the offensive he is poor, poor crossing, off the ball, agility and passing let him down.

Vincent Muratori

Reserve left-back, is 21 and just behind Traore in the team, will eventually take his place if you decide not to strengthen the left back area in the coming seasons, excellent phsyical stats and good work rate are let down by poor technical ability. However with age on his side their is room for improvement and from my experience these do improve steadily.

Centre-backs

A choked area of the team, with 8 recognised centre-backs and all similar in current ability.

My suggestion would be to sell
Adriano
(not good enough),
Dario Simic
(old),
Patrick Muller
(old) and
Francois Modesto
(not good enough).

These players can be sold for around 1M each.

This then leaves the squad with four centre-backs, three are excellent youth prospects.

Sebastien Puygrenier

First choice centre-back, currently on loan but the deal can be made permanent. Has excellent mental stats and good physical stats, let down by average tackling but overall is a quality player and can be relied on. Has good aerial ability and is certainly a threat from set-pieces.

Leo Schwechlen

Good youth prospect, average stats but has the potential to become a good player, from experience he can be hit or miss, but with the right training he can become a good player. Give him first team opportunities and decide upon his performances.

Cedric Mongongu

Excellent youth prospect, despite average stats at the beggining (except heading and strength), they rapidly improve. Will become a first choice centre-back in future seasons. Can also play at right-back and in a variety of positions in midfield.

Nicolas N'Koulou

Excellent youth prospect, average stats at the beggining but his stats rapidly improve. Overall along with Mongongu you have a fantastic centre-back pairing in the making. Both players have the ability to become first class players.

Keep both Mongongu and N'Koulou at all costs!

Central midfielders

Again, eight players in the first team squad are capable of playing in central/defensive midfield. It depends on your chosen tactic, however I would recommend selling
Eduardo Costa
Jerko Leko
and
Diego Perez
all simply because their wages are high and to give room for the younger players. Also sell
Thomas Mangani
he is young but considering the other prospects in your squad he wont get a look in. This leaves you with five capable players

Jean-Jacques Gosso

Despite being on similar wages to Costa, Leko and Perez Gosso is the most capable of them all and should be kept. average stats but with good strength and stamina he can hold the midfield well, depending on the formation you play I would suggest to play him as a DM or an anchor man.

Mathieu Coutadeur

(See above)

Lukman Haruna

18 year old DM, has fantastic potential. Has good stats (for his age) and can become a midfield powerhouse if trained correctly. Alreadly has two caps for Nigeria and should definetly be used in the first team.

Malaury Martin

Another good talent, at 20 years old he has plenty of room for improvement. Can become a similar player to Coutadeur and should perhaps be instructed to train with him. Blood him in the first team where possible.

Eidur Gudjohnsen

Despite his age and his ludicrous wages Eidur is still an excellent player, his best position is in the attacking midfield position, under instruction of trequartista he will provide you with plenty of assists and goals. He is also capable of playing central midfield and also as a striker.

Wingers

Nene

27 year old Brazilian, First choice on the left. Has good technical atributes and is good when cutting inside from the left, has good free kick taking and penalty taking (16 each) and ideally should be taking set-piece duties.

Yohan Mollo

Fantastic prospect, for 18 years old he has excellent stats and has the potential to become a first class winger in the future. Considered to be already at the level of Nene. Give him plenty of playing time and the correct tutoring can help him along the way.

Alejandro Alonso

First choice right winger at the beggining, average stats and will soon be pushed out of the team by younger prospects.

Juan Pablo Peno

Considered to be at a similar level to Alonso, good first touch and technique are his assets, at 22 his poorer stats can still improve. What is impressive is his versatlity, can play in numerous positions in the midfield.

Serge Gakpe

Again considered to be at a similar level to Alonso and Peno, is 22 with room for improvement. Personally I find that Gakpe becomes a better player than Peno and Alonso, but it is worth keeping Peno for his versatility.

Forwards

Gonzalo Vargas

Should be sold, average player on high wages.

Park Joo-Young

Has been downgraded from last year, has average stats but does seem to score goals for you. Should be considered first choice.

Frederic Nimani

Good prospect at 21, just behind Joo-Young and will eventually take his place, if trained correctly can become a leading striker in ligue 1.

Yannick Sagbo

Reasonable prospect, from experience can be hit and miss. Has the potential to be as good as Joo-Young but considering the potential of Nimani, plus if you choose to strengthen then his role in the team will be questionable.

Squad summary

Overall the current ability of the squad is average, excluding Gudjohnsen and Coutadeur. However their are numerous youth prospects in the team, and with the correct approach this Monaco team can develop into a solid team. Due to the lack of funds at the beggining I cant recommend any potential signings,it all comes down to who you choose to sell. I have given suggestions on who I think should go but everyone will have their own opinions and approaches to the squad.

Tactics

Due to the choices you will make on who you sell and who stays it is difficult to recommend a good first team line-up. Also I believe that a tactic shouldnt be solidly based around your players available, as players will come and go.

However in my opinion if you were to base a starting formation around the current squad I would suggest a 4-5-1 formation.

GK
- Ruffier

RFB
- Lolo

CB
- N'Koulou

CB
- Puygrenier

LFB
- Traore

CM
- Gosso

CM
- Coutadeur

RW
- Alonso

AMC
- Gudjohnsen

LW
- Nene

ST
- Joo-Young

Finally...

Managing Monaco is a fun challenge, the club has a great history in French football and with the aim of bringing back the glory days to the Principality you certainly have plenty of work. With the fantastic youth prospects coming through, and despite the poor starting budget money will begin to filter through in the coming seasons you have a great foundation to reconstruct this great club.

I hope this thread has given you an insight into the football club and an interest in taking on the Monaco Challenge. If you have anything to add or contribute please dont hesitate positive or negative.

• 3 weeks later...

Great guide, I thought I'd exhausted the French league, playing long games with both PSG and Lille (enjoyed PSG more I have to say) but I think I'll have a go with these - the small stadium had always put me off but I didn't realise the amount of potential in the squad.

Agreed, the small stadium is a limitation, you only have to view monaco to see why it would be impossible to ever expand the stadium.

But the squad is full of potential and if guided corectly you could become bigger than the usual french suspects ;)

• 2 months later...
You know what I mean... The French league :o

Of course.

Can't understand the whole 1337 typing of Arsenal though :confused:

Spurs 5 arsenal 1. Its all we've had to sing about for too many years. That and the fact that you've been trophy less for longer than us now! ;)

Just started a Monaco save.

Transfers:

transferslq.jpg

Tactic:

tacticsh.jpg

Debut:

debutd.jpg

Outstanding second half. Half Match Talk worked very well.

I'm playing Coutadeur as Deep-Lying Playmaker but he isn't playing well :(

edit: forgot to say, Jádson is coming on a free in January, and I also signed Jano Ananidze on a free also but with 475k compensation.

Hi, I’ve just started a game with Monaco and here are my ins and outs so far:

Ins

Enyeama £220k

Otamendi £2.8m

James Rodrigeuz £2.2m

Djalo £800k

Marquinous £950k loan (£5m future fee)

Lukaku £9.25m over 48 months

Kadlec £3.1m

Annan £3.2m

Opare £275k

Total £15.85m

Outs

Adriano £1.5m

Simic £1.5m

Modesto £900k

Muller £400k

Leko £2.8m

Gosso £2.5m

Perez £1.5m

Alonso £3.4m

Pino £3.7m

Costa Eduardo £375k (loan)

Total £18.2m

As you can see I’ve bought in a lot of young talent but who can play first team football …. hopefully. I seemed to have loads of CB’s and CM’s so offloaded the unwanted ones. My next targets are a couple of cheap back up players like Dacourt, Andrade, Garrido and Golasa.

I play 4-2-1-3 as follows:

Chu-Young Lukaku Djalo

J Rodrigeuz

Coutadeur Annan

Muraturi Otamendi Puyanhor Tolo

Ruffier

Still in the middle of pre-season friendlies, I’ll report back when the season kicks off.

I hope it gets a little busier on here!

I find the 3 strikers work quite well. I originally set out to play 4-2-3-1 formation on all FM saves but I just couldn't get the team scoring and I found the wingers to be uneffective. Therefore, I switched to the 3 strikers with an Arsenal save and it went down a storm. The 2 outside forwards still get plenty width which I like but they also get themselves in the box which the wingers on 4-2-3-1 formo didn't do and ended up isolating the lone striker.

I still haven't started the league games yet but I've recently beaten AC Milan 3-2 in a friendly so that's positive! I'll report back with updates.

• 3 months later...

Archived