FM09: Official League 1 Discussion Thread

Jamesdude55

Welcome to the General League 1 Disscusion thread

0,,10794~3737455,00.gif

Football League One (often referred to as League One for short or Coca-Cola Football League 1 for sponsorship reasons) is the second-highest division of The Football League and third-highest division overall in the English football league system.

Football League One was introduced for the 2004–2005 season. It was previously known as the Football League Second Division and prior to the advent of the Premier League, the Football League Third Division.

Structure

There are 24 clubs in Football League One. Each club plays every other club twice (once at home & once away). Three points are awarded for a win, one for a draw and zero for a loss. At the end of the season a table of the final League standings is determined, based on the following criteria in this order: points obtained, goal difference, goals scored, an aggregate of the results between two or more clubs (ranked using the previous three criteria) and, finally, a series of one or more play-off matches.

At the end of each season the top two clubs, together with the winner of the play-offs between the clubs which finished in 3rd–6th position, are promoted to Football League Championship and are replaced by the three clubs that finished at the bottom of that division.

Similarly, the four clubs that finished at the bottom of Football League One are relegated to Football League Two and are replaced by the top three clubs and the club that won the 4th–7th place play-offs in that division.

Football League One clubs 2008–09

Brighton & Hove Albion F.C.

Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club is an English football club based in the coastal city of Brighton & Hove, East Sussex. They play in Football League One, after their relegation following the 2005-06 season from the Championship. The team are nicknamed 'Seagulls', partly due to the city's seaside location and partly as a response to the similar sounding nickname 'Eagles' of their main rivals Crystal Palace. Prior to this nickname they were known as 'the Dolphins' or 'the Shrimps'. The team have historically played in blue and white stripes, though this changed to all white briefly in the 1970s (in the Freddie Goodwin era) and again to plain blue during the club's most successful spell in the 1980s.

Founded in 1901, Brighton played their early professional football in the Southern League. They were elected to the Football League in 1920. Between 1979 and 1983 they were in the old First Division. In 1983 they reached the final of the FA Cup, which they drew 2–2, but lost 4–0 in a replay to Manchester United. They were relegated from the First Division in the same season. Over the next decade or so, financial problems dragged the Seagulls down the league and in 1997 they narrowly avoided relegation to the Conference. A boardroom takeover saved Brighton from going out of business, and by 2001 they had climbed out of the basement division. A second successive promotion was achieved, but they were relegated after one season. Promotion was gained at the first attempt, but the Seagulls went down again two years later.

Bristol Rovers F.C.

Bristol Rovers Football Club are an English professional football club, based in Bristol. They play their home matches at the Memorial Stadium, in the Horfield area of the city, and have played in League One since being promoted via the League Two playoffs at the end of the 2006–07 season.

The club was founded in 1883 as Black Arabs F.C., and was also known as Eastville Rovers and Bristol Eastville Rovers before finally changing its name to Bristol Rovers in 1898. They were admitted to the Football League in 1920 and have never dropped out of it since. The closest they came to going out of the league was in 1939, when they were re-elected after finishing bottom of Division Three (South), and in 2002 when the team finished just one league position away from relegation to the Football Conference. Their best ever finish was in 1956 and in 1959 when they finished in 6th place in Division Two, which was the second tier of English football at the time.

The club's official nickname is The Pirates, reflecting the maritime history of Bristol. The local nickname of the club is The Gas, from the gasworks next to Eastville Stadium, their former home. Their main rivals are Bristol City, and according to a survey conducted in December 2003, Cardiff City and Swindon Town are considered the second and third biggest rivals.

Carlisle United F.C.

Carlisle United F.C. are an English football team based in Carlisle, Cumbria. The club currently play in Football League One after gaining promotion from the Football League Two at the end of the 2005–06 season, which they finished as champions.

Cheltenham Town F.C.

Cheltenham Town Football Club is an English football club playing in League One, the third tier of English football. The club's stadium is located at Whaddon Road. Their nickname is The Robins. Their current manager is Martin Allen, whose father Dennis Allen also managed the club back in the 70s.

Colchester United F.C.

Colchester United Football Club is an English football team based in the town of Colchester, Essex.

The club was formed in 1937, and briefly shared their old Layer Road home with now defunct side Colchester Town who had previously used the ground from 1910. Colchester United now play in the new Colchester Community Stadium, following the last game at Layer Road was at the end of the 2007-08 season.

Colchester United are perhaps most famous for beating Don Revie's Leeds United 3–2 in the 5th round of the FA Cup in 1971. Their highest ever league finish was achieved in 2006–07, when they ended the season in 10th place in the Championship whilst having the division's lowest attendance.

Crewe Alexandra F.C.

Crewe Alexandra Football Club are an English football team based at Gresty Road in Crewe, Cheshire and nicknamed The Railwaymen due to the town's links with the rail industry.

The club was formed in 1877 and reputedly named after Princess Alexandra (some suggest that the decision to form the club was actually taken in a pub named after the Princess and the club was named after the pub). They currently play in Football League One.

Satistics

Winners of Football League One

Season Winner Runner-Up Promoted Play-Off Winner

2004–05 Luton Town Hull City Sheffield Wednesday

2005–06 Southend United Colchester United Barnsley

2006–07 Scunthorpe United Bristol City Blackpool

2007–08 Swansea City Nottingham Forest Doncaster Rovers

Relegated teams

Season Clubs

2004–05 Torquay United, Wrexham, Peterborough United, Stockport County

2005–06 Hartlepool United, Milton Keynes Dons, Swindon Town, Walsall

2006–07 Chesterfield, Bradford City, Rotherham United, Brentford

2007–08 Bournemouth, Gillingham, Port Vale, Luton Town

Football League One stadiams 2008–09

Leeds United Elland Road 40,242

Leicester City Walkers Stadium 32,500

Huddersfield Town Galpharm Stadium 24,554

MK Dons stadium:mk 22,000

Millwall The New Den 20,146

Tranmere Rovers Prenton Park 16,789

Carlisle United Brunton Park1 16,651

Swindon Town County Ground 15,728

Peterborough United London Road Stadium1 15,314

Oldham Athletic Boundary Park 13,624

Southend United Roots Hall 12,392

Bristol Rovers Memorial Stadium1 11,916

Walsall Bescot Stadium 11,300

Stockport County Edgeley Park 10,651

Crewe Alexandra Alexandra Stadium 10,118

Colchester United Colchester Community Stadium 10,000

Yeovil Town Huish Park1 9,600

Leyton Orient Brisbane Road 9,271

Scunthorpe United Glanford Park1 9,088

Brighton & Hove Albion Withdean Stadium2 8,850

Hartlepool United Victoria Park1 7,691

Northampton Town Sixfields Stadium 7,653

Hereford United Edgar Street1 7,100

Cheltenham Town Whaddon Road1 7,066

1This ground contains terracing

2Not a football-specific ground

Feedback+comments

Please comment on this thread, tell me, and other viewers, who you reccomend as a signing/team to play as in this league comment on how your career as a league 1 manager has developed and who you signed(please keep me intreasted). Hope this is helpful.

Best Feedback

By mrjt1685

Leyton Orient F.C.

Leyton Orient F.C. are an English professional football team from east London, currently playing in League One of the Football League. The team is known by its fans as Orient or simply The O's.

Founded 1881 (as Eagle Cricket Club), Brisbane Road, Leyton

(Capacity: 9,271).

GK Glenn Morris

DF Stephen Purches (captain)

DF Danny Granville

DF Alton Thelwell (vice captain)

DF Tamika Mkandawire

DF Brian Saah

MF JJ Melligan

MF Adam Chambers

FW Wayne Gray

MF Sean Thornton

FW Dean Morgan (on loan from Luton Town)

GK Jamie Jones

DF Andrew Cave-Brown

MF Paul Terry

FW Adam Boyd

DF Aiden Palmer

MF Jason Demetriou

MF Loick Pires

FW Bradley Gray

FW Ryan Jarvis

MF Solomon Shields

With this team you are expected to fight against relegation. You have a Transfer Budget:150k. Tottenham are our affiliated club.

We have a good squad that is capable of survivng the league. i recommend selling Chambers for 100k and thelwell for 50k as this will boost funds.

Orient are ineed of a LM/AML so i loan Danny Rose from parent club Tottenham.

Heres a list of who i get for orient

GK David Lucas - Leeds - Free

DRC Paul Telfer - Leeds - Free

DRC Gabriel Zakuni - Fulham (Orient Old Boy) - Loan

MC - Mascio - Cisco Roma - 35k

MRC - Andy Hughes - Leeds- Free

AMR - Koki Mizuno - Celtic - Free

AML - Danny Rose - Tottenham - Free

FC - Enoch Showumni - Leeds - Free

Fans will be very happy with the majority of the players you will bring to the saud, especially the ones from Leeds and Celtic. Very good if you would like a challenge.

All of Terras FM's southend update's (keep them coming!!)

A good start mate, obviously the history bit you have started needs to be completed for every club. Football Manager related info is needed next imo. Maybe other posters will contribute summaries for each team or you will. A description of the quality of the squad, what it can achieve, transfer targets, areas to strengthen, staff quality, finnancial status, star players and the like would be highly useful. That sort of stuff would really help people wishing to start a career in League 1 I imagine. Keep up the good work.

Just started a save with Leeds so I'll contribute what little I know. Hopefully someone can fill in the blanks. I've nicked this first bit (courtesy of kel-9) from the Leeds thread.

Leeds United Association Football Club, commonly referred to as simply Leeds United or informally Leeds, are an English professional football club based in Leeds, West Yorkshire. The club's home is the Elland Road stadium in Beeston, where they have played since their foundation in 1919. The club has competed at the top level of English football for the majority of its existence, following the disbanding of its predecessor Leeds City. However, Leeds competed in League One for the 2007–08 season; the first time the club dropped below the top two tiers of domestic football in England, following severe financial turmoil.

Club Imformation

Name:Leeds United FC

Founded: 1919

Ground:Elland Road

Capacity:40,242

Chairman: Ken Bates

League:league one

Rivals:Manchester United,Chelsea, Sheff Utd,Huddersfield,Cardiff

Training Facilities:Top Training Facilities

Youth Facilities:Good youth facilities + Youth Academy

Media Prediction:1st

Transfer Budget:100k - Edited for 9.3

Affiliations:Guiseley,Farsley

Best Player:Jermaine Beckford

Icons:Peter Lorimer, Gary McAllister, Gordon Strachan

Favoured Personal: David Batty, Don Revie, Billy Bremner, Gary Kelly, Lucas Radebe, Eddie Gray, Jermaine Beckford

First Team Squad

Gk Casper Ankergren

GK David Lucas

DR Frazer Richardson

DR Andy Hughes

DL Alan Sheehan

DL Ben Parker

DC Rui Marques

DC Ross Wilkinson

DC Paul Huntington

DC Lubomir Michalik

MR Fabian Delph

ML Andy Robinson

ML Peter Sweeney

MC Jonathan Douglas

MC David Prutton

MC Neil Kilkenny

MC Jonny Howson

ST Robert Snodgrass

ST Jermaine Beckford

ST Luciano Becchio

ST Tom Elliot

Hottest Prospects

Alan Martin

Aidan White

Fabian Delph

Tom Elliot

Fabian Delph

With Leeds you should really be expecting promotion. You have one of the strongest squads in the division and promotion should be a formality. Even though you have a strong squad, there are one or two improvements that can be made.

GK and Defence

Ankergren is capable of doing a decent job. He isn't the greatest, but for the division he is adequate. I'd suggest changing him after getting promoted as he doesn't have the quality to step-up to Championship. It would be wise to get a decent back-up keeper in case of injury, though. Brian Murphy is available for 12k and he should do a decent job. Alternatively, you could go for a younger keeper and get someone like Ian Walker in on a free. Walker should be good enough to provide cover for a season and by the time you have got promoted, the younger keeper would have benefited from the tutoring. Alex Smithies is probably the best young keeper available in your price range and you should be able to make a profit from him by the time you reach the Prem. The other option is to buy from the continent, but considering the budget is tight, you may want to look at other problem areas of the team.

The first choice back 4 are also capable of doing a reliable job. Your best defender is probably either Richardson or Michlak. At CB, I started with Marques alongside Michlak and use Huntington as my 3rd choice. When one losses form, I switch them round and use Naylor as my number 3. I haven't got the game loaded up, but I imagine that Naylor might make a suitable tutor for Huntington. Failing that, Ugo Ehiogu is available for peanuts and with a few caps to his name makes a good tutor. If you want to buy another defender, Montoya is a bargain.

The fullback slots (apart from Richardson) are the weak point in the team imo. If Richardson gets injured then his back-up (Hughes) really isn't good enough. What I would suggest is, get a young RB in, tutor him and sell Richardson the following season. By that time your young fullback should be ready for 1st team action. My personal fave is Clyne at Palace, but there are plenty of other (and probably better) options. Young Jack Walker at Sheff Utd is available cheaply at the start, although I prefer Clyne for his attacking attributes. At LB you have Sheenan who is ok. His physical stats are poor but he's good going forward. White gets a full-time contract in October and he should be able to adequately cover the od game or so. Talking of White, his stats tend to be random. On my current save he looks very promising, and he'll become an invaluable member of my 1st team squad next season. Again, it may be wise to get a tutor in and train him up to improve his mental stats. Powell is available for 1k and his description is 'Professional' which should mean he'll make a decent tutor. However, if White's stats don't look s great, I suggest getting in someone else to provide cover or as a starter for the LB berth.

Midfield

The centre of midfield is probably the strongest area of the team. Of course you have have Delph who will bang in goals from the middle of the park will ease. Aside from him, Douglas, Howson, Killkenny can all do a decent job, with Howson perhaps the standout talent after Delph. The one problem area is the fact that there is very little quality in the defensive midfield berth. Prutton is capable but Appiah is available on a free and is a much better player. I'd suggest trimming the squad down to 2 att mids and 2 def mids, perhaps with one youngster that is being tutored. Use the cash you get to buy a RW and balance out the squad a bit.

Robinson can be used on the Right but this is really the weak area of the team. Fiore is available on a free and might be suitable to nurture one of your younger players. If you manage to raise some cash by selling some deadwood, it is probably wise to reinvest in this area. On the left you have the Sweeney who is ok for this lvl and Johnson. Johnson is probably your best bet but he's wanted by other clubs. I sold him and used the cash to get some decent staff in. Snodgrass can also cover this area but he's better upfront. Demetriou and Aluko are available fairly cheaply if you want young British based options out wide.

Attack

Beckford is, of course, your best striker. Keep at all costs (your job depends on promotion). Becchio is capable of scoring and provide a good foil for Beckford. Do not underestimate Showunmi who makes a good target man. Personally, I'd use the first season to build up Elliot. Between the 4 main strikers in the team, you should manage enough goals. Get Elliot tutored (Neil Harris is a 'Model Professional' and available for a few thousand k) and then send him on loan.

Overall, Leeds have a very good squad. The key areas are out wide and some decent back-up for the fullback berths. It is really up to you how many changes you want to make, although I think the squad is good enough as it stands.

Staff

Most of the staff at Leeds are very poor. Snodin is perhaps your best coach but the others (with the exception of the GK coach) can all go. You also have quite a lot of youth team coaches which can all go. This, alongside the RW and back-up positions in the team, is where most of your investment should be directed. I can't recommend certain individuals as most coaches load up with random-ish stats. Just make sure you keep an eye on your budget and account for compensation when signing new staff members! You'll also need an Ass. Man. Neri is a good overall choice and Gibbs is good for press conferences.

Feel fee to completely ignore what I've said, it is by no means definitive. I'm sure someone with much more experience with Leeds can improve on what I've said. Good luck.

I've noticed that that squad list is missing a couple of players; Bradley Johnson (AML) and Enoch Showunmi (FC).

@James. Not really much to tell atm. I'm only 6 league and 2 cup games into the new season. Keep an eye on the Leeds thread if you want to keep up-to-date with my progress.

I lost in the Play offs to Leicester but i have made a few signings and hopefully should win the league this season what do you think of my signings? I think i have quite a big squad. First game of the season 1 0 up for 89 minutes then they get an equilser! grrr

southenddealing.jpg

I lost in the Play offs to Leicester but i have made a few signings and hopefully should win the league this season what do you think of my signings? I think i have quite a big squad. First game of the season 1 0 up for 89 minutes then they get an equilser! grrr

southenddealing.jpg

Your doing well!!! How much money you got now??

Leyton Orient F.C.

Leyton Orient F.C. are an English professional football team from east London, currently playing in League One of the Football League. The team is known by its fans as Orient or simply The O's.

Founded 1881 (as Eagle Cricket Club), Brisbane Road, Leyton

(Capacity: 9,271).

GK Glenn Morris

DF Stephen Purches (captain)

DF Danny Granville

DF Alton Thelwell (vice captain)

DF Tamika Mkandawire

DF Brian Saah

MF JJ Melligan

MF Adam Chambers

FW Wayne Gray

MF Sean Thornton

FW Dean Morgan (on loan from Luton Town)

GK Jamie Jones

DF Andrew Cave-Brown

MF Paul Terry

FW Adam Boyd

DF Aiden Palmer

MF Jason Demetriou

MF Loick Pires

FW Bradley Gray

FW Ryan Jarvis

MF Solomon Shields

With this team you are expected to fight against relegation. You have a Transfer Budget:150k. Tottenham are our affiliated club.

We have a good squad that is capable of survivng the league. i recommend selling Chambers for 100k and thelwell for 50k as this will boost funds.

Orient are ineed of a LM/AML so i loan Danny Rose from parent club Tottenham.

Heres a list of who i get for orient

GK David Lucas - Leeds - Free

DRC Paul Telfer - Leeds - Free

DRC Gabriel Zakuni - Fulham (Orient Old Boy) - Loan

MC - Mascio - Cisco Roma - 35k

MRC - Andy Hughes - Leeds- Free

AMR - Koki Mizuno - Celtic - Free

AML - Danny Rose - Tottenham - Free

FC - Enoch Showumni - Leeds - Free

Fans will be very happy with the majority of the players you will bring to the saud, especially the ones from Leeds and Celtic. Very good if you would like a challenge.

I've started a game at stockport county so i will contribute what i know

Stockport County

Media Prediction 22nd

Transfer Budget 0k

Wage Budget 11.5k

Players

GK Owain fon Williams

DRC Johnny Mullins

DL Micheal Rose

DC James Tunnicliffe

DC Micheal Raynes

DC/ST Matty Mcneil

MR Carl Baker

MR Leon McSweeney

ML Tommy Rowe

MC Gary Dicker

MC Dominic Blizzard

ST Peter Thompson

ST Oli Johnson

Well as you can see a very small team!

I play a 3-5-2 so i sold rose and mcneil(too old)

Ask for a parent club straight away i got lucky and got Manchester United although you could end up with Blackburn, Bolton or Wigan. Getting players on loan will be key to staying up i got four in the first season. Heres the players i bought first season

AML Fabio Man Utd Loan

MC Darren Gibson Man Utd loan

AMC Sam Hewson Man Utd loan

ST Zlotan Harsanyi Bolton loan

ST Dean Bowditch Ipswich 5k

MC Raul Garcia Free Transfer

DC Aurelien Nattes Free Transfer

I would also replace the backroom staff.

In the first season i finished 14th

Currently playing as The Posh and sitting in 4th place after 28 games.

Made four longterm loan signings with Maghoma (have Spurs as my parent club), Sears, Lansbury and Eckersley. Additionally I got Rebosio, Patrick Jahn, Yannick Zambernardi and Simon Vanderhoeght for free, Zozulya for 2k GBP and Toevarno Pinas for 140k GBP.

Leeds is dominating the league and I am pretty sure they are one of the teams to gain direct promotion. I'll be happy if we make the playoffs.

My first XI looks like:

GL: Lewis

DL: Zambernardi

DC: Zakuani

DC: Jahn

DR: Rebosio

ML: Boyd

MC: Lee

MC: Lansbury

MR: Pinas

ST: McLean

ST: Zozulya (though I am rotating my strikers quiet a lot)

Already posted this in the Posh thread but though it would also belong here for a general League 1 experience:

Just achieved promotion to the Championship in my first season. Finished in 2nd place behind leeds after having a thrilling final game at London Road against Southend. Before the last game we were 2nd with 91 pts., Southend were 3rd with 90 Pts. The game started with a shocking moment seeing Henri Lansbury getting sent off after 10 minutes for a terrible tackle on Southend's Christophe. But Lee gave us the lead in the 35th minute with a real belter from 30 yards out. Only four minutes later George Boyd was given a lot of space by the Shrimpers defense and placed a good shot in the upper right corner. Despite being one man down we were the better team for the whole 90 minutes and deserved the win. Now I'm really looking forward to our Championship campaign. I wonder what transfer budget I'll get and which players I will sign.

The team played really well as a whole but if I had to point out some key players it would be: Zakuani (rock solid at the back, good enough for Championship i reckon), George Boyd (lots of good passes and crosses, always dangerous in front of the goal), Charlie Lee (the link between our defense and midfield, always dangerous with his long shots, he scored about 9 goals in the season) and Mackail-Smith (who struggled at the beginning but has been a real relevation in the 2nd half of the season, scored 6 in the last 6 games). McLean should be added as well, a consistent performer throughout the whole season and top scorer with 20 goals.

What worries me is our bank balance which is like -100k at the end of the season.

I have just started a new save as manager of Oldham Athletic on FM and I have decided to record what occurs in blog format. I have gone and am going to continue to report in some detail and I feel anyone who is interested in managing Oldham should read it because it could help. For instance I have wrote a summary of the entire squad which could help. Anyone who wants to have a look then my blog is:

http://www.footballmanagerisinmyblood.blogspot.com/

Hopefully this might mean a few more people play as Oldham or just in League 1 in general. I hope this helps some people. :D

Just finished my 1st season as brighton and hove albion manager. originally you start with £100k transfer budget and around the million pound mark in the bank. With a squad predicted to finish 7th i managed to end up sitting pretty in 3rd place come the end of the season. this is a club for those who relish a challenge as we start off £36.5m in debt!! i ended up playin leicester at wembley in the final and sneaked through 2-1 in extra time. as the championship beckons im findin hard to raise the clubs profile and attract some big names, heres my current 1st 16 as it stands at the moment:

Gk- Scott Flinders (free)

Dr- Andrew Whing (starts at the club)

Dl- Gary Borrowdale (45k)

Dc- Tommy Elphick (starts at the club)

Dc- Joel Lynch (starts at the club)

Mr- Henri Lansbury (loan from arsenal)

Ml- Lee Martin (loan from Man U)

Mc- Marko Drevensek (50k) highly recommended from drava!

Mc- Mascio (30k) another highly recommended

Fc- Matty Fryatt (free)

Fc- Jermaine Easter (60k)

subs

Paul Gerrard

Adam Smith (loan from spurs)

David Livermore

Dean Cox

Leon Clarke

if anyone has any ideas where i could improve? i have £400k left to spend any ideas welcome

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Any one doing a Leicester City Season as i could do with some help in buying players and tactics!!

brought so far

ronnie wallwork

gerard

a 19 yr old portugese winger who will progress to be better than oakley!!

sold

ngotty

mattock

any other ideas for my foxy team!!lol

• 2 weeks later...

I've just got to january with my Millwall game and I'm top...here's my team

GK- Brian Murphy (25k)

RB - Rebosio (Free)

DC - Paul Robinson

DC - Lucien Mettomo (Free)

LB - Barron ...forget his first name, he's already there

DM - RUben Palazeulos (25k)

CM - Mascio (35k)

CM - Mark Randall (loan)

RW - Koki Mizuno (Free)

LW - Calin Cristea (35k) ...probably my best buy

ST - Benjamin Psaume (35k)

I'll post some more tomorrow when I fire it up again I've got a few other handy players. robbie fowler has done a decent job for me off the bench too.

Would love to hear how you guys went with Cheltenham. I am with them and despite some shrewd signings I'm struggling a bit. Not bad at the back but only one player (Elvis Hammond) has scored more than one goal for me this season - and he has only two!

Archived