Players thinking they played well when they clearly did not

Noticed this a few times, when I call my players out in private chats they're at times totally deluded about their performance in the last match. As a particularly bad example, my DM just gave away two pens in a European match, single-handedly lost us the game, finished with a 5.9 rating, and then told me his performance was excellent and asked if I had been to the optician when I told him afterwards that he wasn't good enough. He's fairly determined and level-headed as well, so it's not as if I'm dealing with some Balotelli level nutcase. I get that the hairdryer treatment shouldn't always work, but this is a bit much. His morale shouldn't nosedive because he thinks I'm a crazy person after a performance like that.

Also, my RB made a bad marking error to surrender our third goal, and also got pissed at me when I told him he wasn't good enough. 6.2 rating with a mediocre passing performance and a poor aerial outing, but he thought that because he had made 4 of 4 tackles that he had been superb.

I question whether this is working as designed. Could it be that this option mistakenly refers to the previous league game rather than cups? Has anyone else experience the same?

Noticed this a few times, when I call my players out in private chats they're at times totally deluded about their performance in the last match. As a particularly bad example, my DM just gave away two pens in a European match, single-handedly lost us the game, finished with a 5.9 rating, and then told me his performance was excellent and asked if I had been to the optician when I told him afterwards that he wasn't good enough. He's fairly determined and level-headed as well, so it's not as if I'm dealing with some Balotelli level nutcase. I get that the hairdryer treatment shouldn't always work, but this is a bit much. His morale shouldn't nosedive because he thinks I'm a crazy person after a performance like that.

To give it some context he gave away two penalties & still got a 5.9 rating, this implies he did actually play ok and without the penalties would at least have got a 6.9 or even more.

The way he sees it is in general play he played ok/did fairly well but two mistakes lowered his rating. You are then complaining to him about his general performance rather than the mistakes which of course he disagrees with.

Also, my RB made a bad marking error to surrender our third goal, and also got pissed at me when I told him he wasn't good enough. 6.2 rating with a mediocre passing performance and a poor aerial outing, but he thought that because he had made 4 of 4 tackles that he had been superb.

Very similar to the above, without the mistake his general play would be 6.7+ and therefore average at least. There is possibly an element in this one of the player personality playing a part and him thinking he is better than he is as well.

I question whether this is working as designed. Could it be that this option mistakenly refers to the previous league game rather than cups? Has anyone else experience the same?

I've not had any real problems or seen it reported.

It could be that they thought you were referring to a previous game, you need to be careful as to when you start the conversation.

Hello,

it might just be the reflect of an fairly average Pressure and fairly average Professionalism. He's definitely not a Controversial player but both are interfering as well in individual talks,. What are your Manager attributes please?

I know you lost this match and those players did mistakes but what were the odds of the match? When using talks always try to keep in mind the context of the match as well as player and manager attributes.

Usually I use poor perfomance talks only when the player has been not so good in a match that my team did play well, so I don't add extra pressure on the player...but this is definitely just my gameplay and you don't have to reproduce it necesseraly. :)

But if you have the feeling that something's wrong within your situation please feel free to report it on the appropriate forum with a save game on the FTP. Not sure it will be bug, but we'll be glad to review it. :)

Regards.

I reckon we've all worked or associated with someone who thought they were blameless in everything they do.

If you haven't then you're probably that person. ;)

I think sometimes the problem is that the game doesn't always recognise if a player's mistake has led to a goal. How many times do you see the game blame a player whilst the player who caused the problem is not always identified. Mind you, this might also be due to the game not showing the situation properly, so it might be the match graphics are at fault.

I read somewhere once that David Beckham could never take criticism about his performances, think it's in Fergie's book. He would clash with Beckham a lot because of this, but admired his belief and confidence about his own game. Each to there own I guess.

Archived