Stop New Stadium Build

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a hard cap on how often a stadium can be built? I remember reading that there has to go 20 seasons before a new stadium can be built. In this case stopping new stadium from being built would be a good addition. Here is my situation: when I was promoted to the championship, my board decided to build a new stadium with 9k capacity which could be upgraded to a total of 18k max. Problem is that I wish I could wait till I was promoted to the premier league before building a season, maybe even finish a season and get those tv-money before deciding to build a stadium. So now while I am close to getting promoted to the premier league, I will have to play 20 seasons in the premier league with 9-18k capacity. This is a huge limitation

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a hard cap on how often a stadium can be built? I remember reading that there has to go 20 seasons before a new stadium can be built. In this case stopping new stadium from being built would be a good addition. Here is my situation: when I was promoted to the championship, my board decided to build a new stadium with 9k capacity which could be upgraded to a total of 18k max. Problem is that I wish I could wait till I was promoted to the premier league before building a season, maybe even finish a season and get those tv-money before deciding to build a stadium. So now while I am close to getting promoted to the premier league, I will have to play 20 seasons in the premier league with 9-18k capacity. This is a huge limitation

Whats more realistic though? A board building a new stadium that meets their current needs and something with some room to grow, or building a hugely excessive stadium in the hope that they'll become a mega club?

Whats more realistic though? A board building a new stadium that meets their current needs and something with some room to grow, or building a hugely excessive stadium in the hope that they'll become a mega club?

It's definitely a realistic decision, but there has to be a point of compromise between realism and game mechanics. I just hoped they would wait 1-2 seasons before building a new stadium. 20 seasons is a pretty long cap, my saves are usually shorter then that.

It's definitely a realistic decision, but there has to be a point of compromise between realism and game mechanics.

Not in this case there doesn't.

I just hoped they would wait 1-2 seasons before building a new stadium. 20 seasons is a pretty long cap, my saves are usually shorter then that.

And many people's saves are far longer than that, so they'd see stadiums getting built in a much more unrealistic timescale. The 20 year limit is more than sensible.

I also think the 20 year limit is sensible, however there is a disparity between how quickly user teams can progress up the league in game compared with teams in real life.

I would argue that this makes building the new stadium at those specs a realistic decision for a RL board, but an unrealistic one for an FM board who are likely to be looking at Premiership football within a few seasons.

In this respect I'm torn, as an ill planned new stadium like OPs has the potential to ruin his fun on the game. However, perhaps this is balanced out by the increased fun of easier promotions?

Perhaps the introduction of some kind of "5 year plan" on behalf of the board could bring the manager closer to decisions about infrastructure improvements in a realistic way?

A board that are aiming to be playing Premiership football as part of their plan will be more likely to wait until this point to build a new stadium. Therefore, in OPs case, he would have the chance that by expressing more ambition to the board they might delay or cancel the stadium to wait for a better opportunity.

• SI Staff

Hey YKW,

Something to consider for future versions. As you say, the balance between reality and gameplay is a fine one.

Head on over to the Wishlist thread - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/306914-What-s-that-A-new-Wishlist-Thread-What-you-would-like-to-see-in-future-FM-versions - and get it down.

Cheers,

Seb.

If you keep getting promoted on my experience the 20yr wait time doesn't apply. Seems to apply only when you are on the same tier or around the same level as your last "New Stadium".

20 year is a fixed rule, either you lost track of time on your experience or you are entirely making it up

Hey YKW,

Something to consider for future versions. As you say, the balance between reality and gameplay is a fine one.

Head on over to the Wishlist thread - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/306914-What-s-that-A-new-Wishlist-Thread-What-you-would-like-to-see-in-future-FM-versions - and get it down.

Cheers,

Seb.

Thank you Seb I will look at doing that. Hope you had a good christmas.

I also think the 20 year limit is sensible, however there is a disparity between how quickly user teams can progress up the league in game compared with teams in real life.

I would argue that this makes building the new stadium at those specs a realistic decision for a RL board, but an unrealistic one for an FM board who are likely to be looking at Premiership football within a few seasons.

In this respect I'm torn, as an ill planned new stadium like OPs has the potential to ruin his fun on the game. However, perhaps this is balanced out by the increased fun of easier promotions?

Perhaps the introduction of some kind of "5 year plan" on behalf of the board could bring the manager closer to decisions about infrastructure improvements in a realistic way?

A board that are aiming to be playing Premiership football as part of their plan will be more likely to wait until this point to build a new stadium. Therefore, in OPs case, he would have the chance that by expressing more ambition to the board they might delay or cancel the stadium to wait for a better opportunity.

I think you confused me with being the OP, I was just telling me situation as an example of why stopping a stadium built could be a good thing :).

Also I don't follow much sports and such, and while there is not new stadiums built all the time, is there really any "law" that prohibits a club from building stadiums too often in real life? I can understand the city not wanting to be filled with multiple stadiums for one club, but what about the option of just tearing down the old stadium and build a bigger one if the ground space allows it? Ofc, you would have to play in another stadium while it's going on, like how Tottenham plays in wembley if I remember correctly. Is there anything that stops this from being a possibility if you're not allowed to build more stadiums? The 20 year hard cap is actually not simulating realism if there is no such actual construction law of this. Ofc, it's a huge waste of money to just tear down a stadium when you can sell it in real life, but the game doesn't allow old stadiums to be sold anyway, unless I am mistaken. I would call tearing down a 9-18k stadium down to build a 60k+ when you have won 15 CL In A row a realistic decision. (Not that I have actually accomplished it, but the fact is that I would still play in a 18k stadium even if I did). I'm sure the extra revenue would beat the selling of the old stadium after a while if the city doesn't allow you to built a new stadium on new grounds. Would a city even refuse you when you know that you can fill out a stadium 3-4 times the size?

What we consider as a real life decision is based on past occurrences, problem is that there is the discrepancy which you described. In FM games a team can get from 0 to premier league in an absurd time span, something which probably has never occurred in football before. So of course there would be no past occurrences to draw back on to see how realistic a decision is. I am one of those that don't follow sports but love football manager anyway, so idk if there are any from 0 to premier league accomplishments in a absurd time span in real life.

Archived