Football Manager Macbook Pro Question

Hey guys, thinking about buying a new macbook and wondering how football manager 2016 would handle on this? and Whats the best database and graphics i can have on it?

Processor : 5th generation quad-core Intel Core i7; Processor speed : 2.2GHz to 3.4GHz with Turbo Boost

Memory (RAM) : 16GB; 1600MHz

Hard drive : 256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

Screen finish : Gloss; Screen Resolution : 2880 x 1800 pixels; Screen size : 15.4"; Screen Type LED-backlit Retina display with IPS technology

Operating system : Mac OS X Yosemite

I just purchased a i5 8gb 13.3 inch MacBook pro at the weekend and mine runs extremely well.

Only problem I have incurred is they tend to get extremely hot towards the back of the laptop (I believe this is a known issue for Macs however) apparently they only tend to have small fans built in.

I play with large database and various leagues loaded and is extremely quick.

That was the laptop i was thinking of first but saw the i7 quadcore, I'm just wondering if its worth paying £1,300 for the i7 Macbook quadcore and if it will play the best it can? I want it to be the fastest football manager could go for minimum price :/

Fast + Cheap ≠ Apple :)

Unless committed to Apple, you'd get a lot more bang for your buck looking at other options. And that's coming from a MacBook owner.

If you head over to the Mac bugs forum there's a number of people reporting overheating and crazy fan issues, including myself. Perhaps it may be worth having a look at some of the threads to check their specs before purchasing to avoid disappointment.

Yeah true haha, It's my first time looking for a Macbook to get, just hope it would be worth getting. Would you think football manager would run so amazing on the i7 macbook i mentioned? and large database and alot of leagues selected, and of course the future database updates and packs, cheers for replying aswell mate :)

That was the laptop i was thinking of first but saw the i7 quadcore, I'm just wondering if its worth paying £1,300 for the i7 Macbook quadcore and if it will play the best it can? I want it to be the fastest football manager could go for minimum price :/

My i5 8gb 13.3 inch is great and for the price of £860 due to student discount its well worth the money, I think the i7 will be awesome but for the extra £300 RRP the i5 will suffice for your large database and league requirements etc.

I run a lot of leagues etc. and large database and have no issues apart from the occasional overheating but that is pretty much standard for Macbook's as they are ultimately not gaming computers.

IMO go for the i5 and save some money :)

I've got a Mid 2014 Macbook Pro ( 2,6 i5) .

It's slightly slower than yours but FM15 ran well and FM16 even better: probably because FM16 finally utilises more than 1 core :)

I play with 8-10 leagues and more than 80.000 players.

The downside is that the cpu usage sometimes goes over 100% but mine doesn't get hot.

I always play with the Mac on my lap and an unusual hot laptop would be intolerable.

A trick that I use since FM14 is that I play with steam in offline mode.

I've read somewhere that this would make a difference.

Ooh Nice! that seems good then! yeah i saw alot of people talking about the cpu usage, hoping it would help when i use a laptop cooler, and i will have to Definetly try offline mode! Is 2.2Ghz quad core better than the 2.6 you have? How much does the ghz make a difference? I don't know too much about specs to be very honest haha, I just thought the laptop i saw could run football manager the best possible on a macbook for the price.

Ooh Nice! that seems good then! yeah i saw alot of people talking about the cpu usage, hoping it would help when i use a laptop cooler, and i will have to Definetly try offline mode! Is 2.2Ghz quad core better than the 2.6 you have? How much does the ghz make a difference? I don't know too much about specs to be very honest haha, I just thought the laptop i saw could run football manager the best possible on a macbook for the price.

I've checked on geekbench - a website for mac benchmarks - and your Mac would be much quicker than mine :(:D

https://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

As mine is already running FM quite well, yours should be flying.

I've got a 2015 MacBook Pro with a 2.8 GHZ processor and 8GB of memory and it runs FM16 perfectly but I play with a small database, though I do load up a lot of leagues.

During matches my laptop does whir a tad but it doesn't get too hot - as mentioned above, I play with it on my lap and I'd struggle if was getting ridiculously warm.

Is that the one with Amd graphics card aswell? How good would that be with large database and lots of leagues selected? Sorry for alot of questions but I'm being worried about paying for my first MacBook and want it to be perfect on football manager aswell :lol: and U never tried a laptop cooler to help?

• 7 months later...

My PC laptop has just died and I need a new one so I am taking the opportunity to buy a Mac Book Pro. This will be better for my work use but I also use the laptop and subsequently will use the Mac Book for FM 2016.

My question is whether there is anyone out there running FM2016 on a 2016 Mac Book Pro Laptop and if so, how well does it work. If FM 2016 will not run, and there seem to be a few issues on this forum, I may have to go for a PC again.

The spec of the Laptop shown on the Apple site is

2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor

Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz

16GB memory

Up to 512GB flash storage2

Up to 1TB flash storage2

Intel HD Graphics 6000

Intel Iris Pro Graphics or Intel Iris Pro Graphics and AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB of GDDR5 memory

Help please. I don't want to spend £2000 if it won't run FM.

My PC laptop has just died and I need a new one so I am taking the opportunity to buy a Mac Book Pro. This will be better for my work use but I also use the laptop and subsequently will use the Mac Book for FM 2016.

My question is whether there is anyone out there running FM2016 on a 2016 Mac Book Pro Laptop and if so, how well does it work. If FM 2016 will not run, and there seem to be a few issues on this forum, I may have to go for a PC again.

The spec of the Laptop shown on the Apple site is

2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor

Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz

16GB memory

Up to 512GB flash storage2

Up to 1TB flash storage2

Intel HD Graphics 6000

Intel Iris Pro Graphics or Intel Iris Pro Graphics and AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB of GDDR5 memory

Help please. I don't want to spend £2000 if it won't run FM.

I own a MacBook Pro. It is the base model and is a year and a half old. It runs very well. The only time it doesn't, is when you try to multitask. But why would you do that anyway?

I have been due to upgrade my Mac for Uni a while now and 'supposedly' there's going to be a conference in September where they will announce a new, updated model with more power. Then again, they have been saying they are going to release a new one at the next conference since the beginning of the year, so who knows?

MacBook's as a whole are good and will run it no problem. Good luck

Hey guys, thinking about buying a new macbook and wondering how football manager 2016 would handle on this? and Whats the best database and graphics i can have on it?

Processor : 5th generation quad-core Intel Core i7; Processor speed : 2.2GHz to 3.4GHz with Turbo Boost

Memory (RAM) : 16GB; 1600MHz

Hard drive : 256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

Screen finish : Gloss; Screen Resolution : 2880 x 1800 pixels; Screen size : 15.4"; Screen Type LED-backlit Retina display with IPS technology

Operating system : Mac OS X Yosemite

I am running mid 2015 version of Macbook Pro, 2.5 Ghz i 7, 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM, Intel Iris Pro 1536MB, AMD RADEON R9, 1TB Flash Storage -

And it runs like a beast full graphics settings on highest resolution, playing on retina, and running on the largest db. This runs smoother than my 2013 iMac

My macbook air is doing alright in 2053, i've usually had 5-8 leagues running at a time. So unless you want alot of leagues, or a really really long save, that'd do.

Interestingly the last save I got to 2053 crashed in 2053, but that save was done on a different PC

• 2 months later...

Not sure where to post this so aplogies if it's in the wrong place.

My wife is ugrading her MacBook Pro in October when the new model comes out and she will hand me down her old model. The question is will it play FM2016 and for that matter FM2017 (though we do not know much about that yet).

Specs: MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2011)

Processor 2.0GHz IntelCore7 with6mb L3 cache

4GB DDR3 ram

500GB storage

AMD Radeaon HD 6490M (256MB GDDR5)

It is in excellent condition and hopefully will be able to run FM16 and 17.

Any views on whethe rit can run FM2016?

Cheers

You need a high-end graphics card in order to watch matches in 3D with the highest quality (which is called "very high" in the game). If you do not bother about the 3D match view, then an average notebook with 6+ GB RAM & processor Intel i5 (and onward) should be ok to run the game smoothly imo.

On 7/18/2016 at 00:29, Rashidi said:

I am running mid 2015 version of Macbook Pro, 2.5 Ghz i 7, 16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM, Intel Iris Pro 1536MB, AMD RADEON R9, 1TB Flash Storage -

And it runs like a beast full graphics settings on highest resolution, playing on retina, and running on the largest db. This runs smoother than my 2013 iMac

Which model of AMD Radeon R9 do you use? @Rashidi

Is it easy to upgrade ram on mac's. I know it is on normal laptops but never tried it on mac's?

I7 + Ram + average graphic cards would allows low level 3d I think.

Never Mind Googled it and I can add another 4GB (maxed up to 16GB but need no more than 8GB) Probaly need 2x4GB sticks.

20 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

I use my 2011 Macbook Air still for FM16. 3D is crap, but it's still keeping going well

Ahh cheers. I can live with the dodgy 3d just. Hopefully, FM2017 will be similar.

Can you play quite smoothly with a couple of countries. I mainly use UK and maybe Germany and France. I suspect 2D will be good what about loading times and progression etc.

Thanks

On 9/27/2016 at 14:43, Kazza said:

Ahh cheers. I can live with the dodgy 3d just. Hopefully, FM2017 will be similar.

Can you play quite smoothly with a couple of countries. I mainly use UK and maybe Germany and France. I suspect 2D will be good what about loading times and progression etc.

Thanks

I don't tend to run England because of personal choice, however, I have Spain, Italy, Holland, France full on the system and it runs at 2.5/3 stars. 2D is fine

Archived