[FM2016]Korea DPR/North Korea

Hello Everyone,

I've found a shockingly low amount of TRUE North Korea in FM and most of the editor files just portray a league and 1 cup.

Obviously this is a disservice to the great footballing nation of North Korea.

So I decided to wade through north korean news websites and obscure football forums to gives you a more accurate portrayal of the "Highest Class Football League".

in-game structure (from a mix of the 2014 and 2015 season information):

• The Highest class football league (main domestic league, final competition of the season)
    • 12 teams
    • Round robin once
    • 1st is champion
    • 2 relegate directly
    • 1 Continental spot for the champion (group phase AFC cup)

[*]Mangyongdae Prize Sports games (main domestic cup, first competion of the season)

• 2 phases:
      • 1st phase: 2 groups (16 each), round robin once, top 4 progress to 2nd phase (1st phase is fictional)
      • 2nd phase: Knock-out cup.
      • 1 continental spot for the winner (Play off spot AFC cup)

[*]Sports Contest for Pochonbo Torch Prize(secondary domestic cup, 2nd competition of the season)

• 2 groups (6 each), round robin once, top 2 of each group qualifies for semi-finals
    • from the semi-finals onwards its a knock-out.

[*]Torch Cup (secondary domestic cup, 3rd competition of the season)

• 2 groups (6 each), double round robin, top 2 of each group qualifies for semi-finals
    • from the semi-finals onwards its a knock-out.

Download link

Link to steam workshop

Don't forget to add key staff and add players to playable teams

Feel free to report any issues you find, feedback is always welcome.

Known issues/notes:

April 25 seems OP, none of its values have been improved though, that is how powerful they are according to SI.

April 25 does seem to dominate the north korean league, but if people want it i'll see about toning them down a bit.

Sobaeksu is actually April 25's B team, this is reflected in the file

Very little expenditure, which results in high finances (maybe it'll balance it out when players get proper contracts?), which i'm sure plenty of people won't actually mind ;)

If people want the finances fixed i'll have a look later on.

:lol: are DPRK clubs actually allowed to play AFC Cup?

Will Japanese players be set as non-foreign? There seems to be a few Japanese/North Korean players plying their trade

They are allowed, according to wikipedia they were invited in 2014 (presidents cup) and in 2015 (AFC cup).

However in 2015 they withdrew, ofcourse having them withdraw all the time won't be fun from a gameplay perspective, so they're just in the AFC cup.

I might have a look at korean-japanese (only if they have a dual nationality) and south korean players, however if you take a look at the "best team" in North Korea (april 25), you'll notice that all players are born in North Korea and they have no foreigners in their team, granted they might just be lying.

If I allow for japanese players though, expect them to be limited to 1-3 in the entire team, it needs to look isolationist after all ;)

They are allowed, according to wikipedia they were invited in 2014 (presidents cup) and in 2015 (AFC cup).

However in 2015 they withdrew, ofcourse having them withdraw all the time won't be fun from a gameplay perspective, so they're just in the AFC cup.

I might have a look at korean-japanese (only if they have a dual nationality) and south korean players, however if you take a look at the "best team" in North Korea (april 25), you'll notice that all players are born in North Korea and they have no foreigners in their team, granted they might just be lying.

If I allow for japanese players though, expect them to be limited to 1-3 in the entire team, it needs to look isolationist after all ;)

Yeah I don't doubt that just looking at the national team though shows they have a handful of players that are Japanese born the most famous one being Jong Tae-Se ofc

Anyway should be a cracking file!

Interesting project.

My take on the foreigner situation. You can't have South Koreans or Japanese playing in North Korea. That's not going to happen IRL. The Japanese-Koreans are ethnic Koreans who has set their allegiance to North Korea. In addition to not having any foreigners in North Korea you need to prevent South Korean and Japanese clubs from buying North Koreans by changing nation transfer preferences.

Interesting project.

My take on the foreigner situation. You can't have South Koreans or Japanese playing in North Korea. That's not going to happen IRL. The Japanese-Koreans are ethnic Koreans who has set their allegiance to North Korea. In addition to not having any foreigners in North Korea you need to prevent South Korean and Japanese clubs from buying North Koreans by changing nation transfer preferences.

What's your take on Jong Tae-Se playing for Suwon?

Interesting project.

Fair enough, no foreigners (even if they are south koreans) seems the most realistic.

However locking off north korean players entirely from south korea and japan hurts the few already playing in Japan (japanese born all of them).

I'll give it a thought though, considering the obvious bad blood between the nations and the lack of the current internationals playing in japan (they're not in the DB).

Also on another note: a list of stadiums to be used has been added to the OP, give it a look if you are interested :)

EDIT:

Jong Tae-Se playing for Suwon?

Jong Tae-se is also not in the DB, just to clear that up, in fact most of the players which would cause problems with his suggestion are not in the DB.

Probably because of the japanese league censor?

I think nation transfer preferences mean the nation of the league and not the nation of a player. If I'm wrong then of course it doesn't make sense to completely stop the South Koreans and the Japanese from buying. It should be a -1 IMO though to prevent them from poaching any strong player in the North Korean system.

If I'm right then it doesn't matter if a player is North Korean as long as he's already in another country.

Jong Tae-se is also not in the DB, just to clear that up, in fact most of the players which would cause problems with his suggestion are not in the DB.

Probably because of the japanese league censor?

The Japanese league rights has nothing to do with players in other leagues than the Japanese.

The Japanese league rights has nothing to do with players in other leagues than the Japanese.

Was specifically referring to Japanese born North koreans playing in Japan, like for example Jong Tae-se.

And the players which were most likely to cause trouble to what i was discussing in that post? North Koreans playing in Japan.

So yeah, I guess it has to do with the japanese league rights thing then ;)

Can understand the confusion though, thanks for clearing it up anyways

Will it be available from the Steam workshop? That way people can get the latest version you upload, instead of coming here and manually updating it?

It is available on the steam workshop right now, forgot to add it in the OP, thanks for reminding me :)

Looking good so far! Just one thing - Amnokgang should be Amrokgang.

Not all that sure about that, I see both spellings being used, however KCNA (the closest thing to an "official source") calls them Amnokgang.

Also if you translate from Korean to English, you get Amnokgang (taken from wikipedia's Korean version of the name, who also refer to it as Amnokgang and Amrokgang in the same article).

I'm sticking with Amnokgang on this one, seems more sources refer to it as that, but that is pretty much the situation for most information you get from North Korea ;)

Thanks for the feedback anyways, if you really want it changed just pm me.

just a minor thing to add up to the discussion: it is not true anyway that north korean players cannot play abroad. I'm not talking about born-in-Japan north koreans, but true players like Pak kwang ryong (was bought by Basel) or Hong Yong-Jo, Cha Jong-Hyok, Pak Nam-Chol who play\played abroad.

It is obviously rare exceptions done for the most talented players but it still happens.

Anyway, it is a cool project.

just a minor thing to add up to the discussion: it is not true anyway that north korean players cannot play abroad. I'm not talking about born-in-Japan north koreans, but true players like Pak kwang ryong (was bought by Basel) or Hong Yong-Jo, Cha Jong-Hyok, Pak Nam-Chol who play\played abroad.

It is obviously rare exceptions done for the most talented players but it still happens.

Anyway, it is a cool project.

Pretty much noticed that as well, generally play for chinese, russian and a few swiss sides if i remember correctly.

The only nations which will be limited are Japan and South Korea, which is logical enough considering their relations with North Korea.

Japanese teams are not willing to transfer north korean players in according to the DB (this is by default, meaning SI made it this way), not that it matters if you don't have a japanese league pack/unlock.

South Korea is not limited which strikes me as a bit odd (changed that in a new version)

New version is up fixing south korean AI clubs being able to buy North Koreans (Workshop as well as regular link)

Japanese teams are not willing to transfer north korean players in according to the DB (this is by default, meaning SI made it this way), not that it matters if you don't have a japanese league pack/unlock.

I don't really agree with that either, it's a stupid decision by SI, as if those transfers were a problem, then the north korean FA wouldn't call up the north koreans playing in the JLeague, but they do, and always did. I don't think there would be any problem at all. It's just that the standard of the JLeague is high, so there is no real reason to get a north korean player.

Thanks for your work anyway

I don't really agree with that either, it's a stupid decision by SI, as if those transfers were a problem, then the north korean FA wouldn't call up the north koreans playing in the JLeague, but they do, and always did. I don't think there would be any problem at all. It's just that the standard of the JLeague is high, so there is no real reason to get a north korean player.

Thanks for your work anyway

The justification for that is most likely: most (can't confirm for all) North Koreans playing in Japan (at least at pro level) are Japanese born, this includes a few national team members.

If those national players are good enough for Japan, i'm guessing the North Korean born ones are close to their capability, yet they don't get transfered to Japan IRL.

I can't confirm any of that though, Guess you'll have to ask SI why they did that or ask the Japanese/North Korean FA ;)

I can take that lock off, if you prefer such a version, it'd be seperate from the main version though.

If you'd like to do it yourself (if its possible, I don't actually know if the files are user locked for editing), here's how:

Open the editor > load the editor file > press database in the menu bar > press Nation in the database bar > Search Japan/South Korea and "open" it > press "Nation Transfer Preferences" > Remove the North Korea entry > save/verify.

Hmm I think you partially misunderstood my post: what I mean was that, if there was a "veto", there would be no callups for those in Japan.

The justification for that is most likely: most (can't confirm for all) North Koreans playing in Japan (at least at pro level) are Japanese born, this includes a few national team members.

100% of them are indeed born in Japan.

If those national players are good enough for Japan, i'm guessing the North Korean born ones are close to their capability, yet they don't get transfered to Japan IRL.

Clearly not, the ones born in Japan have full access to professional coaches, youth academies, play against stronger opponents... it's not even comparable. If it was all about talent, so many nations would be so much better :p

I can take that lock off, if you prefer such a version, it'd be seperate from the main version though.

If you'd like to do it yourself (if its possible, I don't actually know if the files are user locked for editing), here's how:

Open the editor > load the editor file > press database in the menu bar > press Nation in the database bar > Search Japan/South Korea and "open" it > press "Nation Transfer Preferences" > Remove the North Korea entry > save/verify.

Thanks. The thing is that I often downloaded a JLeague pack that was released here, so until it is released again, no need to bother. I will try to do it myself but I'm not sure if it's locked indeed.

This is fantastic! I made my own personal one for 2015, tried to make it as close to real as possible, with the addition of a few teams. I made a couple of teams called The DMZ (De-militarised zone) and the Freedom Fighters. I also included the second division, so had a promotion/relegation system (hence why I made a couple more teams, to replace the reserve teams within the 2nd division).

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Im a fan of North Korea league and i have read that the national cup is the Republican Championship, the league is divided in two parts: the first is called Mangyongdae Prize Sports Games and goes from February to June, when it stops, and the second is called of Sports Contest for Pochonbo Torch Prize and goes to October. (Based on KCNA info)

Anyone has the logos and team kits for these teams? Also i have checked and in your file most teams dont have the kits set...

Hello,

Im a fan of North Korea league and i have read that the national cup is the Republican Championship, the league is divided in two parts: the first is called Mangyongdae Prize Sports Games and goes from February to June, when it stops, and the second is called of Sports Contest for Pochonbo Torch Prize and goes to October. (Based on KCNA info)

Anyone has the logos and team kits for these teams? Also i have checked and in your file most teams dont have the kits set...

According to the sources i found on KCNA myself they had 4 "professional" tournaments going in 2014, all somehow meshed into one "championship", i believe i picked a few dates and structures from 2015 because the 2014 sources didn't mention it, I might've interpreted it completely wrong, but this is what i could gather at the time.

the "Republican Championship" is defunct, it ended in 2010-2011.

This File was essentially a combination of the 2014 KCNAwatch articles and RSSSF's North Korea 2013 season information (minus the anniversary cups/regional team cups).

Because I had no idea how to make a 4 part "league" with 3 competitions which culminate into knockout tournaments, i made 3 of them cups, and the last "tournament" they had the league.

Also I didn't edit kits, in fact I barely edited any of the clubs at all, didn't want to mess too much with it, was my first time doing something like this with the editor.

Most big logo packs just have 5 teams, its better than nothing, but otherwise you have to dig for it yourself, shame that so little info is available.

Pretty much left this to die, will probably only update this if the file break with an FM16 update

Thanks for the reply. I would be interested in trying it out, but not on that format. You should try and do a "normal league" with home and away matches, a home cup, a league cup and a supercup, both the national cup and league with asian club competitions places. Cheers for the great work.

If you allow me i could try to do that in your file, but im not good with editor...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey cel1234,

I have quit. Dont like how you structured the league. I think you should have created something like South Korea league, teams playing home and away, round robin, then a playoff system with top teams, to get the champion. Same with cups, create a national cup and a league cup. But i dont want to say you didnt create a good work.

Archived