FM15: U.S. Sassuolo - Where talent is plentiful, but trophies are scarce

Adzke

9pNvRgB.png

Welcome to Sassuolo, the home of I Neroverdi - U.S. Sassuolo!

Why play as Sassuolo on FM15, you say?

- Three of Italy's most talented young players are in your ranks - Sansone, Berardi, and Zaza - just waiting to realise their potential under your guidance.

- Sassuolo is owned by Giorgio Squinzi, owner of Mapei. In real life they are looking to build their own stadium, and even though this isn't reflected in the game, money is at hand if you need them.

- Sassuolo have a fairly large squad, leaving you plenty of opportunity to play just the way you see fit!

- Fight the big teams to keep your players, or turn the team into a pipeline of talent. Money will come your way if you choose to sell players.

- Take a club with little history in the top flight to new hights!

- After the first season there will be no more co-ownerships, as Italy are abolishing this type of deals. Convenient for players who haven't felt at home in Italy in Football Manager.

- Manage in a league with several different schools of football - each opponent will bring something unique to the table.

- You can take 12 subs into games in Italy, leaving plenty of room for developing talent.

Quick links

1. Club Information

2. Squad walkthrough (Goalkeepers)

3. Squad walkthrough (Defenders)

4. Squad walkthrough (Midfielders)

5. Squad walkthrough (Attackers)

6. U20/Primavera

7. Tactics

8. Transfer Suggestions

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

9pNvRgB.png

Club information

uA6WOMZ.png

General information

Year Founded: 1922

Nickname: I Neroverdi

Chairman: Giorgio Squinzi

Chairman Status: Happy to stay

Finances: Secure

Estimated Value: €53M (€5.25M loan debt)

League: Italian Serie A

Media Prediction: 15th

Continental Competition: -

Cup Competition: Coppa Italia

5twrZZM.png

Facilities

Stadium: Mapei Stadium

Year Built: 1995

Capacity: 23717

Season Ticket Holders: 7,910

Training Facilities: Adequate

Youth Facilities: Adequate

Junior Coaching: Adequate

Youth Recruitment: Average

Umyq4FB.png

9pNvRgB.png

Portieri:

16. Ciro Polito

W28Uch3.jpg

Polito Profile

Polito Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 35

Squad Status NOT NEEDED

Ciro Polito should never see the field. He is the worst of the bunch, and there isn't any potential in retaining him beyond his current contract.

1. Alberto Pomini

4dYC1et.jpg

Pomini Profile

Pomini Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 33

Squad Status BACKUP

Pomini will likely be your backup during much of the first season. He isn't by any means a good goalkeeper, but his experience may come in handy if your other choices go down.

79. Gianluca Pegolo

Ro2oLFO.jpg

Pegolo Profile

Pegolo Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 33

Squad Status ROTATION

Pegolo is a good player, but will be injured for the first part of the season.

47. Andrea Consigli

Qpi1snO.jpg

Consigli Profile

Consigli Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 27

Squad Status KEY PLAYER

Consigli is your clear number one. He is your best keeper and will have his best years ahead of him. He has plenty of experience in Serie A already, and is likely to improve a bit in the future as well.

Overall: 8/10

Consigli is a fine goalkeeper for a club of Sassuolo's stature, and when Pegolo returns, you will have a capable backup as well. Not a point of emphasis during your first season.

9pNvRgB.png

Difensori:

28. Paolo Cannavaro

GuhJA8j.jpg

Cannavaro Profile

Cannavaro Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 33

Squad Status FIRST TEAM

The younger of the Cannavaro brothers will likely be your best central defender for the first season. He is a seasoned player who should be in your starting lineup.

26. Emanuele Terranova

icHUf5J.jpg

Terranova Profile

Terranova Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 27

Squad Status NOT NEEDED

Terranova is transfer-listed when you take over the team, and should likely stay that way. He hasn't got much to offer in terms of ability or potential.

3. Alessandro Longhi

1a5m4sU.jpg

Longhi Profile

Longhi Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 25

Squad Status BACKUP

Longhi is a good player for a club like Sassuolo, and he will be a good backup if you choose to play Peluso on the left back. If you choose to move Peluso to central defense, Longhi may well be your man on the left back.

21. Thomas Manfredini

uqL03J7.jpg

Manfredini Profile

Manfredini Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 34

Squad Status BACKUP

Manfredini is old and should only serve as a backup. He isn't quite good enough to cut it in the Serie A anymore, and given the combination of depth and youth in central defense, he shouldn't be your top backup either.

13. Lorenzo Ariaudo

XugGd2l.jpg

Ariaudo Profile

Ariaudo Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 25

Squad Status BACKUP

The once promising captain of Juventus' Primavera squad is still a decent player. He isn't a world beater by any means, but can be a good backup if called upon.

31. Federico Peluso

VRfsvIW.jpg

Peluso Profile

Peluso Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 30

Squad Status KEY PLAYER

Peluso wasn't good enough for Juventus, but will be plenty good as Sassuolo. He can man several positions, and he should without a doubt be in your starting lineup.

20. Paolo Bianco

BuDMur9.jpg

Bianco Profile

Bianco Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 36

Squad Status NOT NEEDED

Bianco is old and not very good. Not the best combination. Transfer-listed from the beginning.

15. Francesco Acerbi

qwOagBn.jpg

Acerbi Profile

Acerbi Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 26

Squad Status FIRST TEAM

Had to put his football career on hold last season as he had testicular cancer. Has had a great comeback since, and has just been selected for Antonio Conte's national team. He is, however, not as good in the game, and I prefer Antei to him.

5. Luca Antei

vhMvZUW.jpg

Antei Profile

Antei Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 22

Squad Status BACKUP

Your second best man as a central defender. He is co-owned with Roma, and if you can't retain him after the season, perhaps you can make get quite a sum for him. Should be a starter right away.

23. Marcello Gazzola

ePa3fIO.jpg

Gazzola Profile

Gazzola Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 29

Squad Status BACKUP

A backup for the right back position. Not nearly as good as the man starting out there, but a decent backup, nonetheless.

11. Sime Vrsaljko

mOKscOU.jpg

Vrsaljko Profile

Vrsaljko Report

Nationality CROATION

Age 22

Squad Status KEY PLAYER

The star of the defence. A great wingback with heaps of potential. Will be a hot name among the big clubs after your first season, and should be a stalwart in defence and attack. Easily one of your best players.

Overall: 7/10

Looking good on both backs, but lacks top talent in central defense. Cannavaro is old, and you could lose both Acerbi and Antei after the first season in co-ownership bids.

9pNvRgB.png

Centrocampisti:

33. Matteo Brighi

eCxJ3AY.jpg

Brighi Profile

Brighi Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 33

Squad Status BACKUP

The utility tool of the entire Serie A is back. Once considered a once-in-a-generational talent, Brighi is now no more than a decent player. He doesn't have the talent of Taïder or the power of Chibsah. But instead he has plenty of experience.

8. Davide Biondini

lbvoQyV.jpg

Biondini Profile

Biondini Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 31

Squad Status BACKUP

Propably not as good as either Brighi or Magnanelli. May be the odd man out in midfield.

4. Francesco Magnanelli

5IKTqBg.jpg

Magnanelli Profile

Magnanelli Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 29

Squad Status BACKUP

Magnanelli is your captain, and as such should likely merit a place in your starting lineup. He is just not good enough, though you may prefer him to do his experience.

6. Raman Chibsah

cJKePGL.jpg

Chibsah Profile

Chibsah Report

Nationality GHANAIAN

Age 21

Squad Status ROTATION

Should be a starting player for you. Is a good holding midfielder, and may be a good sell later if development proceeds.

19. Saphir Taïder

pbhaWDJ.jpg

Taïder Profile

Taïder Report

Nationality ALGERIAN

Age 22

Squad Status FIRST TEAM

On-loan from Inter with a redemption clause of €7.39M. This may be a bit steep, but a good player nonetheless. Should be in your lineup when available.

7. Simone Missiroli

9nb1le6.jpg

Missiroli Profile

Missiroli Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 28

Squad Status ROTATION

Not really a midfielder, not really a striker, Missiroli is close to the only thing you have at right midfield unless you buy a player for that position. Not good enough in the long run, but perhaps good enough for a single season.

Overall: 6/10

The midfield looks quite strong in center, but you desperately lack a right winger. None of the backups in midfield are really good enough, and it may be an issue of having strength in quantity rather than quality.

9pNvRgB.png

Attacanti:

25. Domenico Berardi

vLL1WJQ.jpg

Berardi Profile

Berardi Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 19

Squad Status KEY PLAYER

Berardi is the man upfront. Transcendent talent for a club like Sassuolo, and a premier player for the league. He should be carefully developed, and should be a starter in each and every contest. Is co-owned by Juventus, and will either be your golden ticket next summer or your starting striker for the next 15 years. Berardi is a wonderkid from the beginning of the game.

17.Nicola Sansone

MIRIt0b.jpg

Sansone Profile

Sansone Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 22

Squad Status FIRST TEAM

I play him as the assymetrical winger in my setup, and he's perfoming really well. A good talent who may be a future Italy international.

83. Antonio Floro Flores

rGh5ube.jpg

Floro Flores Profile

Floro Flores Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 31

Squad Status BACKUP

Pretty much just a guy. Not really that good. May be an option for the transfer list due to his salary.

99. Sergio Floccari

6biY7EC.jpg

Floccari Profile

Floccari Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 32

Squad Status ROTATION

Like Floro Flores, Floccari is to old to ever make a difference. Good to have if disaster strikes, but may as well be an option for the transfer list due to his salary.

14. Leonardo Pavoletti

hqfPt9r.jpg

Pavoletti Profile

Pavoletti Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 25

Squad Status BACKUP

Pavoletti is transfer-listed and should remain so.

10. Simone Zaza

dTGrUiY.jpg

Zaza Profile

Zaza Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 23

Squad Status KEY PLAYER

The other remarkable player at Sassuolo. A complete striker and a capocannoniere in the waiting. He will be a want-away during the first transfer window, but you should do anything in your power to make him stay. Will only be getting better.

Overall: 10/10

This position is the best on the team. You have two transcendent talents that can make it on the biggest stage, and though one is likely lost after your first season as Juventus will want him back, this is where you can do some serious damage on Serie A.

9pNvRgB.png

U20/Primavera

The club doesn't have a lot of talent waiting in the Primavera squad, and if you are aiming for the club to go places, you can't really rely on any of these players. The sole hope is Claud Adjapong from your U20 squad.

27. Claud Adjapong

NIhueFQ.jpg

Adjapong Profile

Adjapong Report

Nationality ITALIAN

Age 16

Squad Status HOT PROSPECT

X. Jasmin Kurtic

KURTIC.JPG

Kurtic Profile

Kurtic Report

Nationality SLOVENIAN

Age 25

Squad Status ROTATION

The other player worth keeping an eye on in the U20 squad is Jasmin Kurtic who is on loan at Fiorentina in your first season. He's a marauding midfielder with a decent strike from distance who can be a helpful player come your second season (if Fiorentina hasn't snatched him up).

9pNvRgB.png

Tactics

The squad can be set up in a number of ways, depending on what type of football you want the team to play. I personally prefer a assymetric 4-3-3 setup, giving room for Sansone, Berardi, and Zaza to work their magic.

4-3-3

P9iCNcz.png

ShN3Fid.png

3-5-2

The suddenly popular 3-5-2 can be another way to go. Here you want to exploit runs from your midfield, but this formation is likely to leave out either Berardi or Sansone, unless you go for an attacking style with an attacking midfielder behind the striker pair.

97v4cVm.png

1UaiyH1.png

9pNvRgB.png

Transfer suggestions

With Sassuolo you have money to spend. You team is lacking in several departments if you want to challenge the likes of Roma and Juventus, but none more so than right midfielder.

Here I would suggest you take a long look at newly relegated Catania's Gino Peruzzi. He may well seem like the same type of player as Sime Vrsaljko, but he may be a better option to give you a solid wide player, who can work both in defense and attack.

HFhCB2K.png

He may be available at around €3.5M - €5M.

You can of course buy players for each line in your team, but the team really is decent enough to have a good first season in which you can make up your own mind about the squad, and then dive into the transfer market come season 2.

I have wanted to try a save with Sassuolo, and even more so now with this thread.

Will keep you updated on my quest to Europe :p

You do, mate! Loads of fun. I've just kicked off my fourth season in charge, will post updates fairly soon.

Can I ask what team instructions you use for your assymetric formation? (If you don't mind).

Ha, yeah. Forgot to post those...

I set them up to play like this. I liked the direct style, as I figured I'd sit back and wait on the counter. It worked out really well for me, though the counter attacks were quite scarce.

UzepBq0.png

Great stuff, always nice to see threads for Italian clubs popping up! I like that you used the template from my thread but also put your own spin on it. :thup:

I did. And I was this *hold fingers up* close to writing you a note of gratitude beforehand :) Always nice to have a very solid template to lean against :)

Completely convinced me to start with Sassuolo! Great Thread! Could i possibly ask for your team instructions for the 2nd tactic please? Looking forward finally to a good FM save. Well done!

To be fair, I haven't used that tactic with Sassuolo myself. What I like about the 3-5-2 is (in short) that it allows you to do so many things in a variety of ways. You want the pressure to come from the sidelines? The 3-5-2 has got you covered. You want killer runs from the midfield? The 3-5-2 has got you covered. You can do it anyway you want.

If I were to play it in season 1 with Sassuolo, I would set it up something like this, I believe, as I prefer to have a combo of runs from midfield (like Juve did under Conte).

frLgUe8.png

zOm6ITU.png

Have to say that this is a great thread. Tactically I'm struggling with FM but if I come back to FM15 I may well be these. Shame they don't have the ageing striker anymore. I can't remember his name. But I created a thread on him for FM10 iirc and then a few seasons later he joined these. Was a beast then.

Would that by any chance be Riccardo Zampagna?

If the right side of the midfield is an issue I personally will be bringing in Pione Sisto, great player with a £2.5m release clause.

I bought Gino Peruzzi (hence the recommendation), and didn't regret it. But I prefer to have my width down that side from my wingback, so Peruzzi was a wide midfielder for me.

Thats great thank you very much for taking the time to post that and explain it all, much appreciated!!!!

No worries, mate. I'm happy to offer whatever help I can. You may want to take it with a pinch of salt, though, as I haven't played that formation yet myself.

I'm trying to be a bit careful as not to spoil anything for anyone, but my first season was a great succes riding on the shoulders of especially Berardi and Zaza.

Berardi scored 20 goals and had 6 assists in Serie A, and Zaza scored 27 goals and had 6 six assists as well, becoming capocannoniere along the way. I lost Berardi at the end of the season to Juventus, as I wasn't even close to matching their blind bid on him.

I finished third in Serie A that year, which felt like a great achievement.

4DaiiVk.png

I was struggling to find a team (had over 5 saves already and couldn't stick with any of them), but thanks to this thread you've inspired me!

Still first season and I've brought in:

- Pione Sisto £2.5m

- Diego Lugano Free

- Dele Alli £2.5m (loaned back to MK Dons for rest of season)

- Pavel Savitskiy £85k (what a bargain)

I was looking to bring in Balanta and Romero but they were too expensive - maybe next season!

Improved the coaches too but frustrated as I couldn't bring in all the coaches I wanted. Also got rid of the Assistant Manager and brought in Terry McDermott.

10 games in I'm sitting 6th with 20 points.

I was struggling to find a team (had over 5 saves already and couldn't stick with any of them), but thanks to this thread you've inspired me!

Still first season and I've brought in:

- Pione Sisto £2.5m

- Diego Lugano Free

- Dele Alli £2.5m (loaned back to MK Dons for rest of season)

- Pavel Savitskiy £85k (what a bargain)

I was looking to bring in Balanta and Romero but they were too expensive - maybe next season!

Improved the coaches too but frustrated as I couldn't bring in all the coaches I wanted. Also got rid of the Assistant Manager and brought in Terry McDermott.

10 games in I'm sitting 6th with 20 points.

What are your tactics like?

What are your tactics like?

I'm using your Asymmetric 4-3-3 setup this season. I may change this either next season or the season after depending on whether I can get the transfer targets I have in mind.

Gotta say though, your tactic is working very well. Had some great results so far.

I'm using your Asymmetric 4-3-3 setup this season. I may change this either next season or the season after depending on whether I can get the transfer targets I have in mind.

Gotta say though, your tactic is working very well. Had some great results so far.

Glad to hear it. I shifted away from that tactic following my second second season, as I lost my entire right wing. Moved the wide midfielder to a winger further up the pitch, which in turn made my defense a lot more vulnerable.

Glad to hear it. I shifted away from that tactic following my second second season, as I lost my entire right wing. Moved the wide midfielder to a winger further up the pitch, which in turn made my defense a lot more vulnerable.

I see, I'm actually thinking of playing with wingers and wingbacks, with only 1 up front, but I would need to improve the CB's and get a left WB also and a right winger so might not be possible due to finances.

Do you remember what your transfer budget was second season?

I see, I'm actually thinking of playing with wingers and wingbacks, with only 1 up front, but I would need to improve the CB's and get a left WB also and a right winger so might not be possible due to finances.

Do you remember what your transfer budget was second season?

It was huge. I lost the blind bidding on Berardi, but suffice to say I didn't lose him on the cheap.

It was huge. I lost the blind bidding on Berardi, but suffice to say I didn't lose him on the cheap.

Good to hear that the budgets are big.

In terms of co-ownership, when both teams put their bids in, does the team that loses out get the entire amount that the other team bid?

Brilliant transfer business there. Out of curiosity why didn't you spend the 50m+ from the season 2015/2016 and also the remaining 30m in the last one? Was it long term stability?

Because I didn't feel I needed to. I have some young players I'd like to get more involved. I usually don't spend my entire budget from year to year.

Fair enough. Some good outgoing transfer fees there. Didn't know Zivkovic in particular became so good. Also regarding Berardi what exactly happens in a co-owned deal? It's one of those things I just don't understand. Maybe it's because i'm English and haven't really managed in the Italian leagues.

Fair enough. Some good outgoing transfer fees there. Didn't know Zivkovic in particular became so good. Also regarding Berardi what exactly happens in a co-owned deal? It's one of those things I just don't understand. Maybe it's because i'm English and haven't really managed in the Italian leagues.

A team buys half of a player's concratual rights and the right to play him on the field. After a set duration of time (one year or two years) the coownership ends. At anytime can the clubs conclude a deal to transfer his entire contract to one team. At the end of the assigned period, the two clubs will have to bid in a blind auction if they cannot agree on a deal themselves. The club with the highest bid attain the player's contract, and the other club get cash.

TL;DR: The clubs each own half the player for one or two years. When time is up, the clubs engage in a blind auction for the rights. Highest bidder wins.

So it's much more simple than I thought. That's good to know especially as I wanted to do a save in Italy at some point. Thanks for that. Makes the Berardi transfer fee look even better now as originially I thought you both got 15.5m each.

So it's much more simple than I thought. That's good to know especially as I wanted to do a save in Italy at some point. Thanks for that. Makes the Berardi transfer fee look even better now as originially I thought you both got 15.5m each.

And this system goes out the window after your first season, as it's being phased out.

Archived