FM13: Stoke City FC - 150 Years

DirtyJoe

Stoke City Football Club

150 years of football

stokelogo.png

INTRODUCTION

Whenever you hear the words 'Stoke City' and 'Britannia Stadium', the lazy default insult is to describe Stoke side as long-ball merchants who 'kick lumps' out of their opponents. Hard-hitting tackles, route one and ugly football are other words unfairly banded about to describe the Potters' playing style, or rather, lack of.

Yet, whilst these insults are harsh and unfounded, Stoke have recently stretched their unbeaten home record to 16 matches with a 3-1 win over Liverpool on Boxing Day. And such form has been built on a solid defence, with Pulis' side conceding only 14 goals in 18 matches thus far. Across Europe, only Bayern Munich, Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain and Malaga have better defensive records.

INFORMATION

p71thursdaystoke3150211.jpg

STOKE City chief executive Tony Scholes has confirmed the club will be self-sufficient by the start of next season. Chairman Peter Coates and his family have pumped more than £60m into the club to help transform Stoke from a mid-table Championship side into one enjoying a fifth successive season in the Premier League.But Stoke are on course to generate enough of their own funds next season, helped by a new television deal.

HISTORY

Stoke City FC is the world’s second oldest football club, formed in 1863 (the oldest club is Notts County FC, which was formed in 1862). They were first known as the Stoke Ramblers. In 1876, they merged with the Stoke Victoria Cricket Club, and became Stoke FC. In 1888, the club became one of the 12 founding members of the Football League.

799pxstokecityfcleaguer.png

Stoke were relegated in 1953. They made it back to the top flight for the 1963-’64 season, with the help of 48-year old returnee Stanley Matthews. Stoke stayed in the First Division for 20 out of the next 22 seasons. They were last relegated out of the upper level in 1985.

Stoke City’s best moment, though, was when the club won the 1972 League Cup, beating Chelsea 2-1, at Wembley. Goals were scored by Irish midfielder Terry Conroy, and inside forward George Eastham.

logosmallaq.png

Stoke City Football Club

FACILITIES

In 1997 Stoke left the Victoria Ground after 119 years, and moved to the modern 28,384 all seater Britannia Stadium at a cost of £14.7 million. Stoke struggled at first to adjust to their new surroundings and were relegated to the third tier in the first season at the new ground. In 2002 a record 28,218 attended an FA Cup match against Everton. With Stoke gaining promotion to the Premier League in 2008 attendances increased;

Stoke played at The Victoria Ground for more than 119 years – from March 1878 to May 1997 – and by doing so, established a record of staying the longest period of time at one ground in English football history.

screenshot20130106at747.png

HOME & AWAY KIT

In the winter of 1966-67, Stoke adopted a candy-striped version of their traditional striped shirt. This experiment proved unpopular and was dropped before the season ended. A new and simpler club crest was introduced in 1977: a Stafford knot and pottery kiln represented local tradition while red and white stripes were added.

A special crest was commissioned for the 2012-13 season, which marked the club's 150th anniversary, with their Latin motto (United Strength is Stronger) underneath.

topqm.png

GERNERAL

Stoke City are looking for success within the Premier League for their 150 year anniversary. The squad is determined and renowned for its intimidating style of football.

screenshot20130106at816.png

FINANCES

Whilst not the richest club in the Premier League, Stoke City is debt free. CEO Tony Scholes is focused on the club becoming self sufficient and not over spending on inflated wages. The club has a list of short to medium term sponsorship deals with stadium deal worth $1M due to expire in 2015.

Transfer Budget: $1,000,000

% of transfer revenue made available: 70%

Salary Budget: $543,221 p/w

Current Spend: $662,801 p/w

You will need to lower the wage bill prior to entering the transfer market. The club aiming for a mid table finish/avoid relegation should have wages below $500k, which is very achievable.

logosmallaq.pngFIRST TEAM

petercrouch2340721b.jpg

GOALKEEPERS

The squad starts of with 3 recognized keepers, with Carlo Nash considered a back up. Young Daniel Bachman would be well suit to receive some tutoring from Sorensen to help is development. The number 1 will be likely given to Begovic, but he will have to fight for with Sorensen.

Team Rating:- 3.5

Potential Targets:- Although not a priority, it maybe an area from future improvement if you qualify for Europe in future seasons.

screenshot20130106at914.png

DEFENDERS

Without a doubt the best area of the squad, with Shawcross and Huth your central pairing that will enable you to build a team around. Marc Wilson, who can play anywhere across the back four, should feature as your left back until you can bring in a quality player. Right back you will need to look at, as Wilkinson your only starter, even though Shotton can cover if need be.

Team Rating:- 4.0

Potential Targets:- Tom Hately (right back), Emiliano Insua (left back)

screenshot20130106at914.png

MIDFIELDERS

Blessed with a determined midfield group that will battle hard for the team, with the only downfall is lacking creativity. Steven N'Zonzi acquisition will help bolster a already stifling midfield bunch. Etherington and Pennant out wide, give you an avenue to attack the box from out wide, but will need some support during the season. Opportunity here to offload some bodies and free up the wages to assist with bringing some much needed cover out wide.

Team Rating:- 3.5

Potential Targets:- Barry Maguire, Will Hughes, Graham Dorrans, James McClean

Hot Prospect:- Jamie Ness - Have Rory Delap tutor him.

screenshot20130106at915.png

FORWARDS

A solid group, but nothing outstanding. Crouch is the best pick along with the recently signed Michael Owen whom at 32, still maybe able to have one final hooray season if fit. Walters is very serviceable not only up front but can play out wide. Cameron Jerome, signed a few seasons ago does offer some pace up front, but inconsistency will his biggest downfall.

Team Rating:-3.0

Potential Targets:- With funds tight, you will be hard pressed to fill this position. A loan target is probably your only option.

screenshot20130106at915.png

logosmallaq.pngTACTICAL

Stoke City's tactics have been more about efficiency to get the ball forward, rather than over possess the ball. Stoke average between 37% and 40% possession each season which is the lowest in the top flight. With less possession, Stoke also play the fewest number of passes”

screenshot20130106at239.png

The squad are well suited to the above formations, and the defense to sit deep and close down and compact in the defending third. A counter-attack style with direct passing to quickly exploit the team strengths of good target men and quick outside players could be a threat. I don’t think you will win a shoot out, but a lot of hard nose 1-nil results and good away draws will be your bread & butter.

Tactical References:-

Understand Your Tactic (Cleon) - Understand Your Tactic

Tactical Systems (Rashidi1) - Tactical Systems

logosmallaq.pngBACKROOM STAFF

Reviewing the coaching staff at City revealed the quality to propel the club forward is not in place. I would strongly recommend replacing the entire back room staff, my new staff are as follows -

Assistant Manager: Alex Dyer

Coach: John Owens

Coach: Mark O'Connor

Coach: Steve Harrison

Goal Keeping Coach: Bobby Mimms

Goal Keeping Coach: John Keeley

Fitness Coach: Steve Black

Fitness Coach: Jon Goodman

Chief Scout - Jeff Vetere

Scouts: Steve Nickson, Paul Montgomery, Tosh Farrell, Walter Windrum, Neville Hargraves

Head of Youth Development: Phil Cannon

Under 18s Manager: Terry McPhillips

Under 19s Coach: TBA

logosmallaq.pngAUGUST 2012

With the transfer window closing, the start of the season aims were realised with list of players leave Britannia Stadium and only one new signing. This has helped bring the wages back in line with budget.

TRANSFERS OUT

Michael Tonge - Blackpool - $500K

Kenwyne Jones - Fulham - $2.5M

Carlo Nash - Crystal Palace - $130K

Wilson Palacios - Newcastle - $3.5M

Diego Arismendi - Brighton - $500K

Danny Higginbotham - Bristol City - $40K

Total - $7.25M

TRANSFERS IN

James McClean - Sunderland - $4.4M

FUTURE TRANSFER TARGETS

Luke Shaw - Southampton

Will Hughes - Derby

Aidan White - Leeds

Graham Dorrans - West Brom

Note - Transfer Policy, trying to look at realistic Stoke signings in the short term, keeping with the clubs policies and wage structure. Key players max wages at $50K per week as a guide.

PREMIER LEAGUE

Started off in terrific fashion with a solid 2-0 home against Sunderland, new Wolves signing Michael Kightly bagged a brace on debut. We then travelled to the Capital to face injury stricken Gunners outfit and managed to steal a point, through Peter Crouch goal to take an early lead. However the home side rallied and a equalised through a deflected free kick. Still a wonderful point gained away from home.

CAPITAL ONE CUP

An impressive away win, with a second string side managed to see through to the next round. Jonathan Walters started in lieu of Crouch and put away 2 goals to push for a start at home against Reading.

screenshot20130107at600.png

since there's now a thread I think its in order for me to do a short summary of my first season here to

league went well up until the final 8 games where everyone chocked, Walters got injured (which left the weaker left side of my defense very exposed), and I failed to predict what one of the more recent patches did to collision detection, so instead of wining the league I had to settle for a 3rd place finish

stokeleaguefm13s1.png

as far as transfers goes I only had outs this time, since I needed to get wages under control (I had told the board I would do mid table to get a bit more room here) and I did have more players then I needed, it also feels better to do minimal changes during my first year in order to get a better picture of how all my players will preform

stoketransfers-1_zpsb443ec79.png

logosmallaq.pngSEPTEMBER 2012

PREMIER LEAGUE

The start of September and still early days in the campaign saw us take Reading 3-1 with Walters starting up front with Crouch, who both scored along with Robert Huth back from injury. A tricky tie at Craven Cottage with both goals coming from set pieces and our first away win of the season.

The team then travelled to Manchester, We started out in our normal 442 formation, but a early goal to Tevez and another after the break meant that we had to make some adjustments. Walters was substituted for Rory Delap and we reverted to a 41221 with Crouch up front by himself. A interception by crouch, who was one on one with Hart, pegged a goal back, then a deep cross by Wilkinson was headed into the net to equalised. [Pumping Fists!!] We then dropped back to a 4141 and played for time, to secure a vital away point at City's expense.

Walters continued his vein of form as he netted twice to confirm the Britannia fortress, a late goal flattered the visitors who never looked like threaten, even though Nathan Dyer was impressive and has caught the attentions of our a scouting team.

Up next - We tackle a inform Everton, who we identify has dangerous from set pieces. Lucky for us we only have to deal with Fellaini as Baines was sold to Tottenham for $20M

CAPITAL ONE CUP

We travelled to League One side Colchester on a boggy pitch, Walters placed his shot into the corner of the nett, proving he is an accomplish scorer from all parts. Cameron Jerome started in lieu of Crouch and was delighted to point to the manager as he wheeled away from his strike into the net pumping his chest [Pick me, Pick me] Delap, made a run into the box late to snuff out the home side and progress to the fourth round.

screenshot20130108at550.png

Transfer Targets

Luke Shaw - We managed to pick him on a season loan with the intentions to bolster the relationship and try and negotiate a deal prior to the seasons end.

Tom Hateley - Has fallen off our radar, and will not be pursuing that interest.

Aidan White - Continues to impress in the championship.

Will Hughes - A fee of $4.4 was accepted in July, but we choose to take McClean. We are still tracking Hughes, who looks the goods at 17.

Barry Maguire - Still a first team started for VVV in the Eredivisie, but we have cooled our interest.

Nice thread dude :thup:

Thanks mate, very much appreciated.

since there's now a thread I think its in order for me to do a short summary of my first season here to

league went well up until the final 8 games where everyone chocked, Walters got injured (which left the weaker left side of my defense very exposed), and I failed to predict what one of the more recent patches did to collision detection, so instead of wining the league I had to settle for a 3rd place finish

stokeleaguefm13s1.png

as far as transfers goes I only had outs this time, since I needed to get wages under control (I had told the board I would do mid table to get a bit more room here) and I did have more players then I needed, it also feels better to do minimal changes during my first year in order to get a better picture of how all my players will preform

stoketransfers-1_zpsb443ec79.png

To finish 3rd, is a massive effort well done :applause:

Good to see someone else having a crack with them. I think they have real potential. I admire the way Pulis has gone about his business this season, I watched him towards the end of last season on BBC, and he spoke very well, and was very open in his discussions.

logosmallaq.pngOCTOBER 2012

PREMIER LEAGUE

Hosting Everton at home, we managed to tuck away 2 goals to Shawcross and Walters before the half hour. Everton responded after the oranges and continued to press home in the in the final minutes, which they managed a late equaliser to have a share of the spoils. A determined West Brom travelled to Stoke in a thrilling match, it was the baggies to opening the scoring, Peter Crouch found the equaliser and Jamie Ness getting a start in front of Whelan and Delap drilled his shot from outside the area to take the lead. The Visitors rallied somewhat, until Walters punch another goal home lifting his tally to 8.

We travelled to Loftus Road and for the second week running started on the back foot as Rangers took their chance through Cissie. Much need words at home time found the spot as Crouch braced in quick succession, which left the team to close out the match.

CAPITAL ONE CUP

Resting pretty much the whole team apart from Huth whom wore the Captains aren band, Wigan scored first. It wasnt until Mamady Sidibe levelled with a powerful header 10 mins late did we look like making something happened. We coughed up a number of chances in the second half, sending the tie to extra time, until injury time late in the the second period, where Wigan stole the game and through to 5th round.

screenshot20130108at830.png

Hi joe, great work on the thread. Some solid results thus far with the players available well done. How are you setting your stoke side up? I generally play a rigid counter attacking 442 with direct passing low cf and roaming high pressing and hard tackling, and I will look to use the pace a crossing strength on the flanks.

I am playing a Balanced 442 with the above as back up, with direct passing. Using a few shouts sets, Exploit Flanks, Stand Off, Close Down, Run at Defence. Generally I start out Balanced or attacking, if needed I will use the shout to "Push Up", great for applying more pressure and condensing the midfield if you are being overrun.

Wouldn't it be better to play with stand off & rigid in regards to Stoke and would the focus passing be through the middle or mixed ?

I view my strengths with Crouch and Walters up front, 2 very good players in the air. With Etherington & Pennant crossing abilities playing down the flanks seems like a good option. I just want my 2 central midfield players to hold the line in front of my defines, win the ball back and distribute to the flanks again. I don't have great creative central players, they are good, but slow.

Welcome to the thread.

logosmallaq.pngNOVEMBER 2012

PREMIER LEAGUE

November proved to be a bit of all sort month for us. A goalless away draw at Newcastle followed by a first Home & League defeat against Spurs. A disappointing turn out against Southampton away after being 3 nil up at half time, to only be pulled back in and share the points. A bitter sweet revenge against Wigan at home, with Ertherington cutting inside to get onto a thru ball from Crouch and a Al-Habsi blunder in the goals finished the Visitors off.

Away to Norwich it was Jerome (2) who was quick to find the net to put us into the lead, Jerome (21) then doubled his effort on the half hour as he was looking lively up front with strike partner Walters. Not to be done, Jerome (44) then sealed his hat trick before half time, and we started to look dangerous again. Morrison for Norwich broke the offside trap and pegged a goal back at the restart, but Norwich wasn't able to get back into the game from there on.

Overall a mixed bag for November, but was pleased with the last game. We are sitting in 3rd behind Arsenal and Man City who have a game in hand over us.

screenshot20130108at830.png

This year I did decide to see if someone else wanted to take up the mantle and do the thread, it has taken a while but nice to see one has come along. I like the formatting of your posts a lot, and its concise enough for people to get to the point right away.

Some misconceptions about Stokes tactics is that we're rigid, in truth fluid best fits Stoke when defending, the whole of the midfield is expected to contribute defensively as are the strikers. All in all this thread is spot on the money, the club could spend more on wages and have indicated they are likely to in January if needs be (for a new left back). Florent Cuvelier is also a hot prospect, in fact he and Ness could form a long term midfield partnership if a player is willing to be patient and allow them to develop.

This year I did decide to see if someone else wanted to take up the mantle and do the thread, it has taken a while but nice to see one has come along. I like the formatting of your posts a lot, and its concise enough for people to get to the point right away.

Some misconceptions about Stokes tactics is that we're rigid, in truth fluid best fits Stoke when defending, the whole of the midfield is expected to contribute defensively as are the strikers. All in all this thread is spot on the money, the club could spend more on wages and have indicated they are likely to in January if needs be (for a new left back). Florent Cuvelier is also a hot prospect, in fact he and Ness could form a long term midfield partnership if a player is willing to be patient and allow them to develop.

Thanks for that, do you think Stand Off more or Press more suits Stoke & I guess you have your players on on more disciplined & stick to position aswell ?

Thanks Santy, To be honest Stoke are not a team a normally play with. But I notice there was no Team Thread, so I thought I would contribute. I did spend a fair bit time researching and reading the Potters-Online forums and there has been a number of good articles written about Stoke.

Forwards should be set to close down over the whole pitch, midfielders in their own half and defenders on the edge of their own box. Stoke won't excessively stand off a team as a unit, nor will they close down all over the pitch like Barcelona do. The opposition gets space pretty much everywhere in their own half to pass around freely, as they get closer towards the box it should be met with packed banks of 4.

On the disciplined and stick to position yes, it seems counter-intuitive in some ways with fluid as well, but it was what I was playing early on in the game and it was working pretty well.

logosmallaq.pngDECEMBER 2012

PREMIER LEAGUE

December proved to be fruitful month as it could have quite easily derailed the season. Facing Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea with away games to West Ham, Aston Villa, and Sunderland points could have been hard to come by.

Jerome started again after his hat-trick heroics, and found the net early on (6), but West Ham struck back through Jarvis. Peter Crouch continued his stellar season pushing for a England recall when he once again found the nett (18). Benayoun finally equalised (64) for the home side, but another away point picked up. Facing Man Utd at home and confident of picking up something, we struggled through to mistakes at the back to let Man ute punish us. Jerome scored again for his third match in a row, but still no biccies 1-2.

A super clash at Anfield, with Crouch scoring (13) and we spent the rest of the match trying to prevail and protect the lead. Downing crept in behind the defence to equalise on the 75min, but still a fantastic point. Chelsea at home,Peter Crouch (38) cracked on again but John Terry levelled the scores before the break. New signing this season, James McClean earned the praise of the home fans, when he broke the deadlock on (83) as we ran out winners 2-1

Travelling to Birmingham to face Villa in the last game of the year, turned out to be a entertaining encounter. Walters back in the side for Jerome, put his first of the match away (2), followed by the Captains (Shawcross) headed from a corner (6) to have the home side under the pump early. Things only went downhill, when Shawcross scored again from another corner set piece (12) to nab a brace, with the home supporters heads held in hands stuff. Agbonlahor pegged one back (20), followed by Bent (33) and the game looked set at 3-2 at halftime. After the break, Walters proudly nursed his Hat-trick (49), with Bent again (54) finding the nett. Both sides seem settle to close the game and restrict further damage, if it wasn't for Walters being clipped midway through half Stoke might have added another. The final scored proved a decisive win for Stoke 5-3.

The final match of the year at the Stadium of light facing Sunderland, a early penalty save by Begovic hurt the home side, as the ball was played quickly down field for Walters to get on the score sheet early (9). N'Zonzi who was back into the team from Injury, chipped over the Sunderland Keeper to make it 2 nil (25). Sunderland still not willing to change their shape,451, were on the back foot for most of the half. Only after the restart did they revert to a 442, but Stoke will to dominate. Final 0-2.

screenshot20130110at632.png

LEAGUE TABLE

At the half way point, I am very please with how we are travelling. The team have settled in and are very comfortable with our tactics, but I am in desperate need of a Left Full back as Wilson, as good as he has been, is not the best long term fix. Funds are still very tight, Whelan has submitted a transfer request, so he moves on in the January Transfer Window, I may be able to bring someone in.

screenshot20130110at632.png

TRANSFER TARGETS

Not much has changed here from our targets early. As funds are short, will likely have to wait until the end of the season. I have added a couple of new players who we are tracking -

Luke Shaw - We managed to pick him on a season loan with the intentions to bolster the relationship and try and negotiate a deal prior to the seasons end.

Aidan White - Continues to impress in the championship.

Will Hughes - A fee of $4.4 was accepted in July, but we choose to take McClean. We are still tracking Hughes, who looks the goods at 17.

NEW

Nathaniel Clyne - Not sure if we be able to meet Southampton's Valuation at the end of the season, but we are monitoring him closely.

Jack Butland - Will be looking for another keeper over the summer, and we have been impressed with his performance everytime we scout him.

Here's a recap on my seasons:

A Tough Start.

2012/13

My first season in charge, it all looked promising beating Chelsea 1-0 in the first game - however it was soon downhill from there. By the end of January I had just 4 wins on the board, was bottom of the league and it was looking desperate. After some player trading in the summer I was able to bring in Wellingtom Nem and Carlos Bacca - adaptable and flexible they offered cover in a variety of positions - Bacca was hopefully to lead the line. After 2 games I had to let Bacca leave for a month, when he returned it was no better and he was gone for another month. The £5m signing scored 4 goals all season, and they were only in the cups. On deadline day I signed a Brazilian by the name of Ademilson, purely by chance an agent had recommended him to me for £5.5m, similar to the Nem deal he was signed over 48 months due to not having much in the way of funds. After January we won 8 of the final 13 games and finished 11th. We looked dead and buried at the end of January and it was nothing short of a miraculous turn around.

The Stagnant Years...

2013/14

Gaetan Bong joined on a free - allowing Marc Wilson to move to RB, also signing on a free was Vladimir Weiss. Reading had been relegated and I was looking at getting a new targetman to replace Crouch, Pavel Pogrebnyak arrived for £6m a lot for a player of his age but he looked a perfect fit for my side. Despite trying to get Bacca to work and Pogrebnyak in the side it didn't really work too well, Ademilson scored 7 and Crouch 8, these were my top goalscorers but we managed to get ourselves up to 9th, so we were improving.

2014/15

Ivica Olic turned up this year on a free, as did Ola Toivonen & Ishak Belfodil. I had sold Pogrebnyak after a disappointing season, Crouch was allowed to leave to West Brom and I immediately loaned Belfodil to Fiorentina as I now had too many options upfront. Ademilson and Olic lead the line, Toivonen was disappointing, Bacca was dreadful but there were some good signs. After a scout report in the summer I signed a regen from greece who was a fantastic holding midfielder, having not spent much the club had built up some money and in January I went for it. I bought another regen from Argentina who was a central midfielder and looking like a fantastic prospect, I also signed Wilfried Bony from Bayern Munich after he had failed to hold down a first team place, and Arjen Robben also from Bayern on loan.

The side lacked goals however, Bony only grabbed 1 in 11 games, Ademilson was the top scorer with 8, we finished 7th having scored just 37 goals in the league.

2015/16

Weiss was sold for around £8m and Mattias Ezequiel Schelotto brought in for £6m were the permanent transfers. Belfodil had scored over 30 goals in Italy for Fiorentina and my team were desperately crying out for them. Robben returned on loan, this time with Balotelli to provide additional depth in my squad. In January Ramires joined on loan and it catapulted us back up the league and saw goals being scored for fun. The second half of the season allowed us to push up to 8th, Bony scored 36, Belfodil 18 and Ademilson 14. The side was beginning to look a little more dangerous and the youth prospects from last season were improving rapidly.

2016/17

It was finally time for Huth to move on, sold to Burnley for £1m his replacement was Grant Hanley, doing well with Norwich it took £10m to secure his signature. Balotelli was back on loan again, but Arjen Robben had retired after Bayern released him and I couldn't agree terms with him. The January additions of Nacer Chadli and Michael Dawson (£4m and a loan respectively) mainly came in to bolster the squad, but the attack was a bit more disappointing this year, Bony scored 12, Belfodil scored 12 and Ademilson 9. Despite the lack of firepower the side finished 6th, an improvement

2017/18

Tottenham purchased Belfodil for £18m, an enormous profit for a free transfer and Ryan Shawcross joined Man City for £16m and my greek regen went to Man Utd for £15m. Yoann Gourcuff signed on a free, as did an English regen from a lower level side. This season I had the ability to spend big and my side were severely depleted. My scouts had picked up some good talent in south america, a colombian striker and a paraguayan midfielder I also added Manolo Gabbiadini for £21m, Otavio for £15m and Carlos Fierro for £7m for the side. Juan came in at £3m as extra cover in defense and Jaroslav Hazucha became the new centrepiece alongside Hanley, quite costly at £13m.

Up to this point the Europa League spots had been the main level of attainment, we finished 5th this season however and were close to a 4th place finish. The next few seasons will see my side break into the top 4 and begin to find champions league football. I'll provide brief recaps of those later on.

so you are not giving Bachmann a go Joe? would think that having him as back up would be handy, considering that Stoke are very short on home gown players for EL/CL

I have Sorenson currently tutoring him in an attempt raise his determination. I am also putting some time into his positioning. I am not sure he will make it, but might retain just for that reason alone.

logosmallaq.pngJANUARY 2013

PREMIER LEAGUE

The new year started off a with thrilling 4-2 away at Reading, gaols to Jerome, Etherington, Knightly and Delap enable us to shake off a determined home side. We hosted top of the table Arsenal and fought very hard for a 1 all draw with Etheringtons goal early on. Cameron Jerome who had found form in front of goal was casualty has he exited not long after Etherington strike. We then had to face a inform Man City, who put 2 past us with ease, Michael Owen came in for Jerome, but was too forced to seek the side lines with injury.

The final game of the Month, we left for Swansea with a injury depleted side, missing our Walters, Jerome, Owen, Sidibe, Shawcross, Cameron, and Ness, so a nil all draw was a good result

FA CUP

Again we played League 1 side Colchester, and with doubles to Walters and Adam, we progressed with little ease 4-1. We then faced Man Utd away and with most of our forwards out injured, Sidibe was called up out of the reserves and found the net, but was forced to retire when he pick up an injury. Man Utd however progressed through with a 2-1 victory, which now leaves us just the League to focus on for the remainder of the season.

screenshot20130112at450.png

logosmallaq.pngFEBRUARY / MARCH 2013

PREMIER LEAGUE

A tough couple of months, with injuries starting to bite, especially upfront. Walters & Crouch have not had a start together and both are the clubs top scorers with 16 & 14 respectively. However away to Everton saw us get towelled up early with Walters aiding with goal to make the scoreline a bit easier to swallow with a 2-1 loss. Next up we had a run of 4 out of 5 home games that we really needed to make count. A 2 nil win against QPR with a OG and Knighly's cracker sealing the first win in the last 6 games. Peter Crouch had a stormer away at West Brom with his second half brace to share the points.

Norwich made the vist and Charlie Adams, Mamady Sidibe and Ryan Shotton all ticked off their names on the scorecard to grab another 3 points in a 3-1 win. Next up, came Newcastle, but lead by the captain Shawcross who scored two from corners and Jerome settled it late in the second half to run out winners 3 nil. Finally, Southampton made the trip and Walters & McLean both found the net, with Lallana having his shot count, to finish off March with another home win 2-1.

With 7 games remaining, Wigan (A), Spurs (A), West Ham (H), Man Utd (A), Liverpool (H), Aston Villa (H) and Chelsea (A), it will be a tough ask to hang onto our current 4th spot. From the possible 21 pints up for grabs, if we can 9 points we could still finish a credible 5th/6th and still qualify for European spot.

screenshot20130112at121.png

logosmallaq.pngAPRIL / MAY 2013

PREMIER LEAGUE

Charlie Adam's missed his penalty, but was able to tap away the rebound to give us an early lead, he then struck again from outside the area to go into the half time break 2 nil up. However the home side struck back in the second half and equalised. successive draws away and at home to Tottenham and West Ham saw Chelsea and Man Utd close the gap on our fourth spot. A 1-4 drubbing at Old Trafford saw us drop down to 5th. We bounced back with a strong home win against Liverpool with Walters scoring a brace and Cameron grabbing his first of the season.

Next up our match of the season -

screenshot20130112at727.png

For the final game of the season we had to travel to Chelsea and the result would decide fourth spot. Walter continued his assault on goals when he opened the account for the day making this 7th goal in 3 matches. Unlucky for us, as we were out playing Chelsea everywhere, former Newcastle winger Ben Arfa equalised in the 84th min to null the tie. But the point enable us to hold onto the converted fourth spot.

screenshot20130113at421.png

screenshot20130113at423.png

END OF SEASON REVIEW

With the season over and reaching qualification for the Champions league, we have unearthed that we do need some good reinforcements if we are to progress into the group stages. But the season has been highly successful, our tactics of playing to our strengths work well and I think we were a tough side to play against. Man Utd were really the only side to tear us apart winning both ties 4-1.

DEFENDERS

Huth and Shawcross were magnificent all season as was Shotton who really came on during Wilkinsons injury. We struggled at left back even though Marc Wilson was solid, he certainly wasnt a natural. Upson's contract expires at the end of the season, and Geoff Cameron was serviceable and turned out as a good back up. Our priority is to sign a left back and right back, before we add any further to the squad.

Transfer Targets - Nathaniel Clyne, Luke Shaw, Neil Taylor, Aidan White

MIDFIELD

Plenty of rotation in this group, eventually Adam and N'Zonzi were the preferred central partnership. Ness and Whitehead were serviceable covers, with Cucvelier back from loan started to get some minutes. Knightly and McClean both pushed Etherington and Pennant for starting spots throughout the season. Changes here? Delap has signed a 1 year extension as too Whitehead both took wage cuts and will revert to back ups. Transfer movements, we see us move on at least one player, most likely will be N'Zonzi to help fund further acquisitions.

Transfer Targets - Will Hughes, James Ward-Prowse

FORWARDS

Walters and Crouch proved to be sensational up front with 39 goals between them. Walters enjoyed his role as a DLF (Support) as did Crouch TM (Attack), Jerome proved to be a handy back up, but added depth will be needed for next season.

Transfer Targets - Charlie Austin (Burnely), Wilfried Zaha (Crystal Palace) currently transfer listed.

logosmallaq.pngAUGUST 2013

TRANSFERS

A busy transfer period seeing a number of departures leaving the club. I have managed to make some key signings that fit within the clubs transfer policy.

Transfers Out

Upson - Free

Sidibe - Free

Owen - Free

Jonathan Walters - $6M - Fulham - Absolutely gutter with this sale. The clubs leading goal scorer last season. He had outrageous wage demands from $15k p/w to $68k p/w, I was trying to negotiated between $30-45K p/w. I threaten transfer listed a number of times. He ended up signing for $28K p/w??? could not work that out?

Glenn Whelan - $2.4M - Aston Villa

Jermaine Pennant - $2.5M Wolves

Steven N'Zonzi - $4M - Udinese.

Total $15M

Players In

Nathaniel Clyne - Soton - $7.5M

Lee Wallace - Rangers - $3.4M

Andreas Cornelius - Kobenhavn - $1.8M

Will Hughes - Derby - $5.5M

Rory McKenzie - Kilmarnock - $700K

Carlton Watson - Peterbrough (regen) - $1.8m

Scorr Wooton - Free

Mattia Destro - Free

Total $20.5M

PREMIER LEAGUE

A tough start to our campaign, with the only single home to start off and that being Man City, which turned out to be a ripper - Will new signings hitting the back of the net, Will Hughes got a brace, Destro Wallace and McKenzie all get on the score card, in a epic match winning 5-3. with 3 away games, we managed credible draws once again picking up points on the road.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

Facing Inter Milan in the play offs for the group stage, a great 1 all result at home and we got lucky away, as Crouch and Cuvelier who scored the winner in extra time, for us to progress through to the group stages. To be honest, I dont expect to make it past the groups.

screenshot20130115at738.png

still siting in may 2013, trying to make up my mind on who to buy, got a massive shortlist so this will take time and it wont be easy

the main questions are:

1) should I buy any Roma players, for example picking up Destro on free and Lamela for around £16m would seam like a nobrainer, and there's a few other youngsters that could probably be good for the style of football im going for....but on the same time I will be using many of those players on my Roma save and it would be somewhat boring to use the same players on different saves

2) Should I stick to Stokes singing policy of mainly buying players based in the UK, or should I buy players from all over the place that would be optimal for Stokes playing style?

oh and I have to resist the urge to buy loads of short playmakers, something I would do most of the time....but it would not work all to well with the squad I have....now why do I still have Leon Britton and James McArthur on my shortlist.....

I think with Leon Britton and James McArthur, you will need to consider what you do with Ness & Cuvelier. I signed Destro as I needed a forward with Walters departing. I think trying to stay with Stokes policy and bring the odd stand out player to help boost your overall quality would work.

I think with Leon Britton and James McArthur, you will need to consider what you do with Ness & Cuvelier.
I know I dont need them, but out of habit I have still placed them on my shortlist, I need to get into the right mindset rather then building a Stokelona, and its a bit difficult to push in a radically different direction then I normally do

this probably also the main reason as to why I chose to play Stoke in the first place (and also watch the odd game on tv), it offers me something different

I signed Destro as I needed a forward with Walters departing.
I take it that you are not already using him on a different save game?

Stoke have a tendency to look domestically and towards the German leagues for players. We have had a few players from the German leagues on trial, of course there was Demba Ba, a left back who's name I forget in the summer who almost signed and generally towards quite safe areas for players capable of handling the rigours of the English game.

Stoke have a tendency to look domestically and towards the German leagues for players. We have had a few players from the German leagues on trial, of course there was Demba Ba, a left back who's name I forget in the summer who almost signed and generally towards quite safe areas for players capable of handling the rigours of the English game.

I have noticed that Stoke seem like highly determined players with aggression, which fits into your statement.

• 1 month later...
Not sure if its a bug or if its actually true, but it put me off managing Stoke, my remaining wage budget at beginning of game was -119,000PW. Which seems slightly excessive!!!!
I asked more or less the same question in the data thread and got this answer, its both intentional and understandable:
Falahk, Santy's reasoning, shortly before datalock, was as follows:

"It seems like the club is going to take a bit of a hit on wages until we can offload those who are still at the club. The club had hoped to offload Palacios, Jones, Tonge, Higginbotham and one or two others on permanent deals so that it would balance out. I know that the club did pull out of the deal to sign Boenisch & seemingly Popov too because the club weren't willing to pay more defenders.

The spending on the three deadline day signings should come out of the clubs cash, I think in light of those signings though the in-game budget should be dropped substantially and the wages adjusted to compensate. Unless we are in trouble I can't see much happening in January now unless we do offload first. We have 7+ players fighting for seemingly 2 spots in central midfield.

Looking at the players we wanted to offload:

Jones: £40,000 p/w

Palacios: £45,000 p/w

Michael Tonge: £8,000 p/w

Higginbotham: £19,000 p/w

Arismendi: £20,000 p/w

I'd say we're pretty much about £120,000 over wage budget now. The club really did want to offload these players, there was just no interest however. I definitely think the player should be faced with the need to offload, especially if they want to recruit further."

DirtyJoe, I always enjoy your threads. Quick question here. Do you set up all 3 formations to have the same team settings and player settings largely so that you seamlessly inter-change between them during matches?

How did you fare with the 4-1-4-1 and 4-4-2 specifically? What sort of shouts/team instructions did you use?

• 2 months later...

Just joined Stoke at the start of season two after winning the league & cup double with Galatasaray. We seem to have a good core bunch. Begovic, Crouch, Shawcross, Huth etc. Adam seems to be further down the pecking order than I thought he would be. Brought in Maynor Figueroa & Lucas Viatri (top scorer for Boca last season). Just need to thin down the squad now. Lot of past it deadwood hanging around (cough Owen cough). Looking at running with a 4 3 2 1 formation. They finished 7th in season one so the challenge is to get them one spot higher & into Europe.

Here we go...

• 3 months later...

Hi. Usually I play with top teams such as Chelsea, so I thought it would be nice to give Stoke City a try. The best thing about managing a team like Stoke is that you discover, and sign, players you otherwise would ignore and label "not good enough". However, most of the players I've signed for Stoke would be good enough for i.e. Chelsea as well.

As a few others have said, there is a nice core of players at Stoke. Begovic, Shawcross, Huth, N'Zonzi and Crouch are all good enough for the top teams in the league. The rest of the team however are at best average. It's quite difficult offloading most of them as they are on high wages, but most of them can be sold for good value if you give it a year or two (or even three). 80% of the sale value go straight into the transfer budget, which means you always have money to spend on improving the team.

Transfers season 1:

Stoke_Overganger_Historie_Sesong1.jpg

Transfers season 2:

Stoke_Overganger_Historie_Sesong2.jpg

Transfers season 3:

Stoke_Overganger_Historie_Sesong3.jpg

After finishing 8th the first season and 7th the second season I was able to sign better and more high profile players. The best signing I've done is Javi Garcia from City on loan both for season two and three. I cannot for the life of me understand why they are loaning him out, but he is performing at a world class level for me. I was also able to sign Phil Jones from Man Utd, Gino Peruzzi (possibly the biggest talent at right back in the game), Will Hughes and Christian Benteke to name a few.

There is one big challenge though. The players which are trained in the club (needed for European Cups) are rubbish. I am in the Europa League in season three, but only have Shotton as a player "raised" by Stoke.

I am now in February 2015 (season three) and are currently sitting 5th in the league. Getting Champions League this season seems a stretch, but should be possible next season.

PS! Shawcross is an absolute BEAST. Right now his rating is 8,26 after 25 league games. Having scored four goals and racked up a whooping 10 man of the match awards.

Archived