Help! Can new imac play fm2012 3d match action smoothly (amd radeon hd 6770m 512mb)

I am just about to buy an iMAC but before splashing out £1500 I just wanted to check if I will be able to get smooth, non-jerky 3D match action with the graphics card it comes with. Its the AMD Radeon HD 6770m 512MB. I have some concerns after reading various forums that as this is a mobile graphics card it may not display the graphics as well as would be expected. Also, I was thinking of going for the 27" screen - is the graphics card up to representing the game on this size screen? :confused:

I know iMAC's aren't the best for gaming but the only game I play is FM and I wanted to use the rest of the iMAC for it's video and photo editing capabilities. Is there anyone out there playing FM2012 on an iMAC that can help me put my mind at rest. I don't want to buy one then find out it's no better (or worse) than my old PC with ATI HD 4550. Is it worth upgrading to the 1GB graphics card?

Full spec is :

27" monitor

2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

2560 x 1440 resolution

8GB (two 2GB) memory

1TB hard drive1

AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB

• Administrators

In theory yes, it's a great machine but we are currently aware of an issue which is affecting those types of cards (AMD HD) so I must warn you that is the case. We're very much looking into the issue though.

aghuhagh. 1,500 quid for those specs?

Yeah, i know, it's a mac...

Well it should do fine, i mean the card is powerful even for desktop PC standards so you should have no issues whatsoever. However, do keep in mind what Neil said.

• Administrators
Thanks Neil. I presume any problem will hopefully be rectified with an update or patch? I may hang on and see how this develops - nothing worse than a jerky 3D match!! Are there any timescales on when you hope to solve this?

Yeah it's something we're very much looking at and hope to have a fix released in the near future. I can't give an exact time-scale due to factors regarding the fix and time it'll take to test the changes thoroughly, but it is a high priority for us. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
In theory yes, it's a great machine but we are currently aware of an issue which is affecting those types of cards (AMD HD) so I must warn you that is the case. We're very much looking into the issue though.

Just to make things clear - the issue Neil talks is jerkiness of the FM12 match engine on AMD HD cards, right? Or is there something else as well?

Just to make things clear - the issue Neil talks is jerkiness of the FM12 match engine on AMD HD cards, right? Or is there something else as well?

Yes that's right. Apparently the Amd HD cards found in the latest iMacs are not running the 3D match engine smoothly. Neil says they are working on a fix but I'm holding back buying a new iMac until it has been. Otherwise I'll just buy a new Windows pc. Do any new iMac owners out there have the game and are able to run the 3d engine smoothly? The spec of the card should be plenty enough, there just seems to be a problem at the moment.

Running with an ATI Radeon HD 4670- system rating is four and half stars and the 3D match is so slow.

FM 2011 ran like a dream for me so it must be something in this release.

Neil- any update as regards to a fix? The 2D engine is killing me.

• 1 month later...

I have a problem with 3D match smoothness too. I own ATI Mobility Radeon 4570, setting are on low, FPS is >25, but there is regular lag, every 5 seconds game freeze and after 3 seconds run smooth again. This is so annoying and 3D match is pain to watch. In previous FM versions this never happend, 3D match always worked fine. Catalyst version is the latest one.

• 1 month later...

I have a

27" iMac

3.2GHz Intel Core i3

4GB Ram

ATI Radeon HD 5670 (512)

(system is less than a year old)

Setting is on medium, depth of field off, all other boxes ticked.

Running with 31 countries and (from memory) 60 something leagues with 90 odd thousand players.

I watch matches in full, behind corner camera view.

I have a relatively small issue

(and by relatively, I mean, yes I'd prefer it didn't happen but until it gets fixed it is not ruining my game altogether)

with a jiddery 3D, however it is only in the one area as shown below.

areag.jpg

It tends to be more apparent when the ball is in the air, not as noticeable when it is on the deck.

If it went tits up tomorrow would I buy another, absolutely, though I would probably go an i5 or i7

I've recently sold an overclockers sourced i7 PC with 6GB of Ram and a decent graphics card. It ran FM flawlessly and, as you would hope, the match engine on full detail. Nevertheless the time had come to try switching to the Mac for a number of reasons and I jumped ship to the 2.5Ghz Mac Mini, the one with Radeon HD 6630M (256MB) graphics card. I ripped out the ridiculous standard hard drive and replaced it with the latest 120GB SSD. It's immense! Start up and shut down in seconds, programs load in an instant... it's like working with everything in memory. A delight to use.

Running FM, aside from the match engine, is not discernibly different to the powerful PC I had previously. But the match engine... oh dear. Previously I could run everything on maximum detail but I had to drop an awful lot of detail to deliver a half-decent experience on the Mac. I have no idea what's going on within the engine but I wonder if more optimisation is planned. Yes, Apple charges a premium for their hardware but it's worth it if you can afford the wallet hit. Well, if you do more than just play the latest graphics intensive games. Which you probably can't get on the Mac anyway.

Will be interested to see if this future fix improves performance for my little machine too :) Even without this fix the game is perfectly playable and in no way would it stop me switching to the Mac mentioned by the OP. It's the difference between playing at 90% and 100%.

yes im an imac owner 21inch i5 with the 512mb graphics card and i have to run the matches on medium setting which works fine, but if i put detail up to high then i do get the jittery match so i hope SI sort out this problem ASAP.

How do you find the game speed?

How many leagues do you run and what DB size

Archived