The FM11 Npower Championship Thread - The World's Premier Second League

LincolnCanary

championshipnpower.jpg

The Npower Football League Championship

"As ever, the Championship is a tough, possibly even impossible, division to call. Perhaps as many as 18 of the 24 sides begin the season with hopes of reaching the top six, and, in all honesty, none of them are unrealistic. But despite - and even probably because of - the near-futility of predicting how events will unfold, it remains arguably the most interesting league in England".
The Guardian Football League Blog

Introduction

If you take a look around the world's second leagues, you'll be hard pressed to find another as well supported, unpredictable and exciting as the Npower Football League Championship. Of the 24 teams in the league, each have their own very real and very achievable ambitions. You have the exceedingly wealthy QPR desperate to break into the Premiership. You have the financially questionable Cardiff, but with the pulling power to attract names like Craig Bellamy on loan. You have the financially crippled Portsmouth; can they afford not to return to the Premiership at the first try? And then you have the plucky Doncaster, consistently punching above their own weight. And Scunthorpe; comfortably the smallest budget in the league. Then you've got Watford; a team that makes best use of the loan market to bring young, hungry Premiership players in to get a footballing education. This is just a hand full of the challenges awaiting in the Championship - all of which a far cry from the week in week out dealings of the predictable, prima donna, cash laden Premier League.

The wide variety of situations coupled with high aspirations makes this a football manager's dream. And with football's richest prize on offer - a place in the Premiership - I'd urge everyone to give the Championship a try in FM2011. And with players like Craig Bellamy, David James and Kris Boyd now plying their trade in this division, few can argue that the Championship is not a quality division with quality players.

Structure

The league comprises 24 teams. Over the course of a season, which runs annually from August to the following May, each team plays twice against the others in the league, once at 'home' and once 'away', resulting in each team competing in 46 games in total. Three points are awarded for a win, one for a draw and zero for a loss. The teams are ranked in the league table by points gained, then goal difference and then goals scored. In the event that two or more teams finish the season equal in all these respects, teams are separated by alphabetical order, unless a promotion, relegation or play-off place (see below) is at stake, when the teams are separated by a playoff game.At the end of the season, the top two teams and the winner of the Championship Play-Offs are promoted to the Premier League and the bottom three teams are relegated to Football League One. The Football League Championship Play-Offs is a knock-out competition for the teams finishing the season in third to sixth place with the winner being promoted to the Premier League. In the play-offs, the third-placed team plays against the sixth-placed team and the fourth-placed team plays against the fifth-placed team in two-legged semi-finals (home and away). The winners of each semi-final then compete in a single match with the prize being promotion to the Premier League and the Championship play-off trophy.The three promoted teams are replaced in the division for the next season by the teams finishing in the bottom three in the Premier League and the relegated teams are replaced by the two teams finishing at the top of League One and the winner of the League One playoff final.
Wikipedia

Teams

Barnsley: Perennially underrated, Barnsley are a good solid side who continue to impress. With players like Adam Hammill, Jay McEverly and Jason Shackell they represent a team capable of having an outside chance of a play off spot if managed in the right way. A good, solid challenge for anyone looking for a team capable of causing a few surprises. Key Player: Adam Hammill

Bristol City: Bristol City exploded into the Championship under Gary Johnson but have since gone into a slump which has seen them slide gradually down the table. Bristol City fans thought that with the appointment of Steve Coppell this slide could be reversed. But Coppell bizarrely walked out on Bristol just weeks into the season. Since then, they've struggled to find the form that made them table toppers. However, the signing of England keeper David James is just a sign of their intent, and there is no denying that they have the nucleus of a team capable of achieving promotion. Key Player: Nicky Maynard

Burley: Relegated Burnley never quite got over the loss of inspirational manager Owen Coyle. However, the squad they have is capable of bouncing straight back. Some solid Championship players - like Chris Iwelumo and Dean Marney - have been signed to compliment existing talents - like Chris Eagles and Wade Elliot. A good team for someone looking for a club with the infrastructure and players to succeed immediately but just need that inspirational manager again to guide them back to the promised land. Key Player: Chris Eagles

Cardiff City: Financially stricken Cardiff City inexplicably avoided administration by hours - only to weeks later sign Premiership star Craig Bellamy. If you want a club that needs instant success and the players to do it, you can't get much better than Cardiff. Be warned, though - your budget will be minimal and no room will exist to manoeuvre. And if you fail in your task for instant success, expect the crown jewels in Cardiff's crown to be knocking on your door for a move. This is one that requires decent man management skills. Key Player: Craig Bellamy

Coventry City: For the long term manager, Coventry City is a dream. A chairman known to support his managers but without the funds to make a quick impact, Coventry could be your ideal project. With players already on the books like Keiron Westwood, Lee Carsley and Sammy Clingan on the books you're not far from a squad capable of making a go of it. A team which perhaps shouldn't expect instant success, but under the right hands, could cause a surprise. Key Player: Keiron Westwood.

Crystal Palace: Penny less Palace did well last season under Neil Warnock; only then to go into administration and ruin everything. The manager has gone, players have left (including the much vaunted Victor Moses) and left is a young side fancied to do poorly. Can you take Palace out of the doldrums and back as a Championship force to be reckoned with? Key Player: Julian Speroni

Derby County: Gradual rebuilding is the order of the day at Derby County. A team without the big names of, for example, Cardiff but a spirit to work hard and do well for their manager. Anyone looking to take over Derby will want to nurture that spirit and and gradually build for an assault on the Premiership. Key Player: Kris Commons

Doncaster Rovers: Another team constantly underrated, Doncaster Rovers have finally justified their position among the heavy hitters in this league and gotten themselves away from the tag of one season wonders as many considered them when they burst onto the scene. Through clever transfers and a reputation of getting the best out of players, they continue to do well in the Championship without having a bursting budget. The signing of Billy Sharp is also a sign of their intent for this season. Key Player: Billy Sharp.

Hull City: Another of the relegated sides, Hull have been forced to sell anything not bolted down to stave away administration. However, with key players like Jimmy Bullard still on the books (not through want of trying to offload, mind) few can argue that in the right hands, under the right tactics, they could be a force to be reckoned with in this division. But, like Portsmouth, they are a club with massive pressures on them. Can they afford not to return to the Premiership on the first time of asking? Key Player: Jimmy Bullard

Ipswich Town: Putting aside natural rivalries, Ipswich Town are a team who appear to attract dividing opinions. You either believe they're going to do very well, or believe they'll do very poorly. A big problem of theirs last season was scoring goals. With former Swansea striker Jason Scotland now on the books and having kept teenage sensation Connor Wickham, you fancy they may have solved this problem - and with elusive millionaire Marcus Evans as their benefactor, Ipswich are also a team with decent financial backing. Key Player: Connor Wickham

Leeds Utd: Finally returned to the Championship but at a loss of star striker Jermaine Beckford, Leeds are another team with high expectations from a passionate, vocal and loyal following. If you want a team with high expectations and a reasonable budget for improvements, Leeds are probably as good a shout as any. And they come with the added bonus of having two or three capable young players a talented manager can mould as they see fit. Key Player: Jonathon Howson

Leicester City: The surprise package of last season, Leicester have a small but talented team of players capable of giving any team a game on their day. But they can be rather inconsistent. Anyone managing them will take on a team who really need to add a bit of depth, but if luck is on their side and they find a bit of consistency, can really shoot up the league under the right guidance. Key Player: Andy King

Middlesborough: The pre-season favourites who in reality have had a disastrous start. Can you change the course of history and get a team of undoubtedly talented players performing to the levels they should? Under the right hands, they should have no problem getting promotion. Key Player: Kevin Thomson

Millwall: Promoted from League One last season, Millwall are a team with a relatively small budget but a handy ability of picking up lower league gems and turning them into stars. Current prodigy Steve Morison is widely coveted and already showing that the Championship is not too big a stage. Anyone taking over Millwall will have to show they can bring on players like Morison and use the resources to the best of their ability to get complimentary players around him to bring them on. A challenge which I think I may give a go once I've gotten bored of my usual Norwich save. Key Player: Steve Morison

Norwich City: My team Norwich City waltzed to the League One title because of free scoring Grant Holt, Chrissy Martin and Wes Hoolahan. With momentum and some decent signings, including former Southampton and Wolves Andrew Surman, Norwich could be a surprise force in the Championship and under the right hands with the right improvements, could be gracing the Premiership within just a few seasons. Key Player: Grant Holt

Nottingham Forest: Last season, Forest pushed West Brom and Newcastle all the way for the automatic promotion spots before losing out in the play offs. This season, much is expected of them. A young side with talent largely developed at the club, they have sold one or two important players and are yet to replace them. Any manager taking them on will want to make one or two improvements and look to get the best out of established players like Rob Earnshaw, Lee Camp and Lewis McGugan. Key Player: Lewis McGugan

Portsmouth: The financial state of Portsmouth has been well documented and reported in the last twelve months. Now with the chance to return to some level of stability, Portsmouth have got a tiny squad and no money to bring in reinforcements. This means anyone looking to take them on will need to make the best of what they've got and find bargain basement replacements while trying to maintain a vital assault on regaining Premiership football. Failure to do this could see Portsmouth slip back to footballing obscurity. Key Player: Liam Lawrence

Preston North End: Some time ago, Preston were considered among the elite of the Championship. Now, having narrowly missed on the Premiership on a number of occasions, they have slipped back into that group of teams trying to build on a tight budget. However, it's not all negative; with players on the books like Keith Treacy and the bosman capture of consistent Scunthorpe striker Paul Hayes, Preston do have the players on their books to do well. Another good choice for someone looking for a longer term game. Key Player: Keith Treacy

QPR: The rich team of the division, QPR have a very demanding board. Fail to achieve success and they will have little remorse in getting rid. But if you can get them the success they crave, you'll find yourself with a board with the money to back you to big things, a youth academy capable of producing potential stars and a fanbase as loyal as they come. I suspect many will go for QPR on the basis of the financial position alone; and if that's what floats your boat, then great. But this is much more than a team with money. Key Player: Adel Taarabt

Reading: Reading achieved incredible heights under Steve Coppell, but have failed to recreate that same form. Now with a few financial issues, Reading are a team who have appeared fairly inconsistent in recent times but with the ability to do well. Players like Jimmy Kebe, Jem Karacan and Adam Federici all offer a strong spine that perhaps just needs a more consistent attacking spearhead to turn Reading into a nearly team into something capable of challenging. Key Player: Jimmy Kebe

Scunthorpe: Another team considered to be over achievers, but in actual fact Scunthorpe have earned the right to be in this division. With the smallest budget and no big names to speak of, Scunthorpe rely on the spirit of the under dog to take them through. Taking on Scunthorpe means taking on a great challenge of your man management, tactical and transfer skills. With little expectation on you as well, you could find yourself seriously under estimated. A great challenge for anyone who likes to over achieve. Key Player: Chris Dagnall

Sheffield Utd: For a team with so many good players in, it's hard to understand how Sheffield Utd have underachieved so much. No one can doubt the quality of players like Steve Simonsen, Ched Evans, Mark Yeates and Nick Montgomery. Yet, for whatever reason, these players have failed to produce the goods so far. With Sheffield Utd, you get a team who can do so much better. They need coaxing back to confidence, shown some structure and fit into a decent, well worked tactic. Once that happens, I think you could see Sheffield Utd become a force in this division. Key Player: Nick Montgomery

Swansea City: A team who played with incredible flair and skill under former manager Roberto Martinez. Since Martinez left, Swansea have been trying to recapture an identity. Lacking a strong striker, Swansea are still able to knock it around with the best of them. They're just not able to put the ball in the back of the net. Managers should look to rectify the lack of goals. Should they be able to do that, I reckon the team can go on to challenge for the play offs. Key Player: Ferrie Bodde

Watford: Another team without a massive budget but is able to maximise the loan market. Watford have combined this with some clever free signings and bringing through a continuous stream of youth players to forge a team capable of doing very well at this level. Key Player: Scott Loach

I hope this gives you a decent guide as to the perils and joys of Championship managing. Over time, I hope to expand this guide to include the various budgets offered by each of the clubs, some decent targets and a Championship XI capable of performing at Premiership level. However, I'll do all these when the full game is released. For now, I hope you'll join me in contributing to this thread so that all players of championship clubs can benefit.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta be the most interesting division in FM11, basically all teams are equally strong, Cardiff being the strongest one (they were really strong last year, now that key players receive an upgrade plus Oli, Bellers, Thirsty, Riggott they are stronger than theyve ever been).

I'll be playing as Leeds United so will be following this thread!

I've not had much time to play with the demo yet but my initial view is that the Leeds squad looks like I'd expect - good enough for a mid table finish but probably needs a bit of further rebuilding before the team could challenge for promotion, which is probably going to be difficult in the first season as so many players are only recently arrived. It's really a case of using the first season to sort out who can cut it in the Championship and who can't, and then try to get 2 or 3 quality players in next season to push for a play off spot.

The only players I've signed are 2 central defenders on free transfers - Jay DeMerit and Danny Shittu, both look to be improvements on the existing players.

I'll be playing as Leeds United so will be following this thread!

I've not had much time to play with the demo yet but my initial view is that the Leeds squad looks like I'd expect - good enough for a mid table finish but probably needs a bit of further rebuilding before the team could challenge for promotion, which is probably going to be difficult in the first season as so many players are only recently arrived. It's really a case of using the first season to sort out who can cut it in the Championship and who can't, and then try to get 2 or 3 quality players in next season to push for a play off spot.

The only players I've signed are 2 central defenders on free transfers - Jay DeMerit and Danny Shittu, both look to be improvements on the existing players.

My analysis of the playing squad was similar to yours. FM11 pictures Leeds as having a handful of quality players (Snodgrass, Schmeicel, Kisnorbo, McCormack and Nunez), and a big bunch of lower Championship quality ones. Additionally, there is just one good youth prospect (White). Staff wise the Ass Man and GK coach are reasonable but the rest of the staff are poor. I agree with you that with the existing playing staff a title challenge would be a tough call to make. The reality is that a big clear out is probably required and that transforming Leeds into a Premiership quality side is going to be a challenge! Chat with you later no doubt pal.

I dunno just want some other opinions on the squad lost 2 out of my first 3 after a good start agaianst watford dont know my best team and have alot of new players(I think a leeds thread needs creating otherwise me MattR1 and Coen will have to take over the championship one leeds leeds leeds

Has anyone been assigned it too do yet?

Someone has said they'd do the Leeds thread but it hasn't appeared yet - so I'll hold off posting too much Leeds stuff in this thread until it does.

The Championship should be an interesting league to play this year, quite a few fairly evenly matched teams with no obvious stand out team as the ones that came down from the Premier League (Pompy, Hull) have problems. Just finished running through the demo and Cardiff, Sheff Utd, Ipswich, Boro, Leicester and Forest made up the top spots but with not a lot between them. Barnsley, Scunthorpe and Millwall were in the relegation spots.

Garry O'Connor looks a good signing for Championship clubs with a bit of cash - available for £850k from Birmingham.

Also Olivier Kapo on a free - looks like he'd be a good winger for Championship sides.

alright guys long time no speak - I too would like a Leeds thread as I have had the same problem, beat Watford 4-0 then 0-0 with chesterfield winning on pens then lost 2-1 to preston A and Forest H

I too signed Shittu, Demerit, Kapo and Ball - also got sears on loan as well as kyle walker

And I tried to sell Naylor and grella but to no avail

oh and great OP

Someone has said they'd do the Leeds thread but it hasn't appeared yet - so I'll hold off posting too much Leeds stuff in this thread until it does.

The Championship should be an interesting league to play this year, quite a few fairly evenly matched teams with no obvious stand out team as the ones that came down from the Premier League (Pompy, Hull) have problems. Just finished running through the demo and Cardiff, Sheff Utd, Ipswich, Boro, Leicester and Forest made up the top spots but with not a lot between them. Barnsley, Scunthorpe and Millwall were in the relegation spots.

Garry O'Connor looks a good signing for Championship clubs with a bit of cash - available for £850k from Birmingham.

Also Olivier Kapo on a free - looks like he'd be a good winger for Championship sides.

Hope it appears soon, I'm getting itchy feet for Leeds chat! What positions are you targeting? CB, CM and another Striker for me I think, need a bit of pace at the back, a CM with some bite, hopefully Wellens, and a striker due to the fact Somma is underrated

Hope it appears soon, I'm getting itchy feet for Leeds chat! What positions are you targeting? CB, CM and another Striker for me I think, need a bit of pace at the back, a CM with some bite, hopefully Wellens, and a striker due to the fact Somma is underrated

I think someone called Valo is doing it or he has asked. Have a look in the FM11, FM11, FM11 thread in the GPTG.

started as leicester as i support them. 3rd place after 13 games. every team seems to be of equal standard so a hard league to get out of.

started with 6m though in transfer budget, so anybody who fancies spending a fair bit of cash outside the premier will enjoy the challenge

Iv started out on the demo with my beloved Scunthorpe! At the moment Im 7 games into the season and I lie 21st! I've signed some great players, well great for the Campionship but I just cant seem to get the tactics right at the moment, everyone just stands off the guy with the ball, 90% of my shots are long shots and my players cant pass for toffee!

Has anyone else tried out with Scunthorpe yet? If so, do you have any pointers?

Also you list Dagnall as the key player? I disagree. On my game and from real life experience Joe Murphy between the sticks is our key player. Hooper was last season, and Billy Sharp a few years ago was class but Murphy has always been solid and a key factor as to why Scunthorpe are in the Championship :)

Well Researced Post there.

However, I am not sure what financial problems Reading have. A well managed wage structure, A quality youth system (I cant remember many players coming through a Championship youth system and making a £6.5 net gain like Sigurdsson) and a largish stadium. Perhaps not cash rich but probably not 'financial problems' either.....

A few points, if I may:

jack.browne: I did not call QPR exceedingly rich. I did say they are a "rich team" and have a good "financial position". I appreciate that position is not reflected in the initial budget. That may be something to do with the vast amounts of money spent on players already. What I am saying, is that QPR are one of very few teams with no debt and a strong board. They will give good financial backing to those that provide success.

qualitystreet: Reading have debts in the game of £24mil. And of that sale of Sigurdsson, you start with a rather slender budget. I think without success, you could find Reading slipping into financial problems.

A few points, if I may:

qualitystreet: Reading have debts in the game of £24mil. And of that sale of Sigurdsson, you start with a rather slender budget. I think without success, you could find Reading slipping into financial problems.

You might be right - I think its a research point. I myself forget I am playing a game sometimes!

I think the game needs to reflect that Vincent Tan, one of the Richest men in Malaysia, is now in charge of the club with Tien Ghee. VT is estimated to be worth several £billion. He has already said that in addition to paying the clubs debts he will be making £4m available in January for players. For realism this needs to be added into the game.

Not starting my Leicester game until the game is released but I have been scouting for players to sign with them.

I'm excited this year more than any because we actually have money to spend and if the takeover is properly represented in game we will keep getting investment from the owners.

I'm expecting a lot more people to have a go with Leicester this year due to the amount of money we have to add to a top 6 squad!

So I'm looking to start a game in the Championship, having never played below the Premiership, and I've got a good newbie question :)

What is a good figure to have for the important attributes, for a Championship player? I'm wanting to take a good team and compete for promotion, so should I be looking for players with at least 15? So for a striker I want to look for at least 15 for finishing, etc?

And what is a good Current Ability and Potential Ability?

So I'm looking to start a game in the Championship, having never played below the Premiership, and I've got a good newbie question :)

What is a good figure to have for the important attributes, for a Championship player? I'm wanting to take a good team and compete for promotion, so should I be looking for players with at least 15? So for a striker I want to look for at least 15 for finishing, etc?

And what is a good Current Ability and Potential Ability?

I think 15 finishing is probably a bit too high to set as a realistic target for a Championship striker. I tend to look for 13-14 in key stats for a good championship player. Some-one like Craig Bellamy (was top Championship scorer at the end of my demo) only has 13 finishing, although he does have higher physical and mental stats.

Not sure on the CA/PA as I don't look at that sort of info myself.

Being another Leicester city fan i've just started them off but i think they are a little goal shy for the season.

Matty fryatt as always is banging them in but getting a partner for him up front i think will be the issue.

I'll post my squad when i get into the season a little bit, but so far i've got Kakuta & Kyle Walker on loan, & got Yildiray Basturk for a bit of flair and experience & Omar Koroma pacey young striker on free's

Being another Leicester city fan i've just started them off but i think they are a little goal shy for the season.

Matty fryatt as always is banging them in but getting a partner for him up front i think will be the issue.

I'll post my squad when i get into the season a little bit, but so far i've got Kakuta & Kyle Walker on loan, & got Yildiray Basturk for a bit of flair and experience & Omar Koroma pacey young striker on free's

i signed koroma as well for leicester but hes not had too many chances. fryatt has been awesome for me when fit but finding him a partner been an issue. waghorn scores a few but is hit and miss, vassell started well and was the league top scorer but got injured and not hit the net since.

Kyle Walker kicks arse very good at right or centre back aggresive and very solid iv found, Omar Koroma a bit of a nutcase but has been scoring goals for my leeds team 4 in 5 games so far my top scorer, Kakuta has been brilliant for me along with Bebe from Man u

Ah ok, cheers, guess I'll just have to wait till Valo does it, suppose some people only got the demo today

He may only put the thread up when he gets the full version as well.

Iv started out on the demo with my beloved Scunthorpe! At the moment Im 7 games into the season and I lie 21st! I've signed some great players, well great for the Campionship but I just cant seem to get the tactics right at the moment, everyone just stands off the guy with the ball, 90% of my shots are long shots and my players cant pass for toffee!

Has anyone else tried out with Scunthorpe yet? If so, do you have any pointers?

Also you list Dagnall as the key player? I disagree. On my game and from real life experience Joe Murphy between the sticks is our key player. Hooper was last season, and Billy Sharp a few years ago was class but Murphy has always been solid and a key factor as to why Scunthorpe are in the Championship :)

I have been Scunthorpe but it crased on me :(. I tried to sign some quality players but they were asking for too much. I managed to get a few decent players like Omar Koroma, Stern John, Basturk. I got a few more but can't remember their names. I played a formation of 4 defenders, 3 central midfielders, 2 attacking midfielders which were Thompson(right) and Woolford(left) and then Koroma/John or Dagnall as an advanced forward.

Hmm still no Leeds thread up it seems, so I will have to post here for now. :D

Yeah I'm going for pretty much the same players for Leeds I think - a CB, another CM with decent defensive attributes and another striker, probably a poacher type.

Options on the demo are limited due to the small database but so far I've gone for:

DeMerit at CB (but would like to find another one with a bit of pace)

Loanee at right back

Gary Deegan from Coventry for CM - available for £500k, good defensive stats plus good passing and creativity. Trying him as a ball winning midfielder but with higher than normal creative freedom/throughballs.

Olivier Kapo just cos he's free and pretty good

Struggling to find a good striker. Garry O'Conner and Luke Moore are both available for about £900k and seem pretty decent but I'd probably try to find someone else on the full game. I'm also trying Chris Wood on loan from WBA.

Hmm still no Leeds thread up it seems, so I will have to post here for now. :D

Yeah I'm going for pretty much the same players for Leeds I think - a CB, another CM with decent defensive attributes and another striker, probably a poacher type.

Options on the demo are limited due to the small database but so far I've gone for:

DeMerit at CB (but would like to find another one with a bit of pace)

Loanee at right back

Gary Deegan from Coventry for CM - available for £500k, good defensive stats plus good passing and creativity. Trying him as a ball winning midfielder but with higher than normal creative freedom/throughballs.

Olivier Kapo just cos he's free and pretty good

Struggling to find a good striker. Garry O'Conner and Luke Moore are both available for about £900k and seem pretty decent but I'd probably try to find someone else on the full game. I'm also trying Chris Wood on loan from WBA.

I'm still messing about but usually I got for Wellens for CM, good tackling but can attack, and then pair him with Faye (Ball Winner) or in a 3 man with Howson/Nunez, still struggling to find a tactic, I find Becchio is a great physical player but he can't score enough on his own and I can't get Nunez in the hole doing enough so going to have to go 4-4-2. Pace is needed, so far I've decided to have a go/gamble on Sam Baldock from Mk Dons, fast and young, play him off Becchios knock downs. Have you tried Shittu for CB? I also had a go with Fritz Hall due to him being faster, and he did ok, defence like real life gets bossed about though. I'm thinking at the moment we don't have the ability to play passing football so I'm planning on getting it out wide and in the box!

Like Coen says, quality in the demo - that will come to Leeds anyway - is limited. However, I've just finished the demo and a defensive back line of Finnan, DeMerit, Shittu and Bessone proved to be good enough.

In terms of better quality, Edgar Ivan Pacheco and Taufic Guarch (highly recommended) will come, both get w/p's on appeal and look to have leading Premiership potential.

Additionally, look to pick up Gael Nlundulu and Gauthier Mahoto to fill up your bench.

Like Coen says, quality in the demo - that will come to Leeds anyway - is limited. However, I've just finished the demo and a defensive back line of Finnan, DeMerit, Shittu and Bessone proved to be good enough.

In terms of better quality, Edgar Ivan Pacheco and Taufic Guarch (highly recommended) will come, both get w/p's on appeal and look to have leading Premiership potential.

Additionally, look to pick up Gael Nlundulu and Gauthier Mahoto to fill up your bench.

Taufic Guarch looks a great find, good stats for a number of attack stiker roles. I just picked him up for £875k and he scored within 2 minutes on his debut, I think I like this kid - cheers Nicko. :D

I'm still messing about but usually I got for Wellens for CM, good tackling but can attack, and then pair him with Faye (Ball Winner) or in a 3 man with Howson/Nunez, still struggling to find a tactic, I find Becchio is a great physical player but he can't score enough on his own and I can't get Nunez in the hole doing enough so going to have to go 4-4-2. Pace is needed, so far I've decided to have a go/gamble on Sam Baldock from Mk Dons, fast and young, play him off Becchios knock downs. Have you tried Shittu for CB? I also had a go with Fritz Hall due to him being faster, and he did ok, defence like real life gets bossed about though. I'm thinking at the moment we don't have the ability to play passing football so I'm planning on getting it out wide and in the box!

I'm playing 4-4-2 with a ball winning midfielder, advanced playmaker (support) and 2 wingers, with the starting Leeds squad its Nunez - Kilkenny - Faye - Snodgrass that fit that best but with Snodgrass injured I use Kapo, available on a free, instead. Sam is useless and is only still in the squad cos he's a new arrival. There's no cover for Faye so that's the one CM role I need to sign someone for. Kilkenny is the best CM for the creative slot, he's actually pretty good (well, the best we have) as a playmaker, and Howson/Clayton aren't completely useless as cover.

Up front McCormack and Becchio are decent enough but there's no cover for McCormack as Somma is so bad on the game, whcih means a good finisher is a priority for me. Paynter is ok as cover for Becchio.

All the defenders are crap, but we're stuck with em until January at least I reckon. Freebies/loans seem the best option the demo - as Nicko says that means Finnan, DeMerit and Shittu.

Having played through the demo with this set up a play off spot by January is achievable, with some further changes in January it might even be possible to push for a top 2 spot but I'm not sure I'd want to, another season in the Championship to sort this squad out is probably needed. :D

i signed koroma as well for leicester but hes not had too many chances. fryatt has been awesome for me when fit but finding him a partner been an issue. waghorn scores a few but is hit and miss, vassell started well and was the league top scorer but got injured and not hit the net since.

I'm still early on but koroma has been storming in the friendlies. I've signed garry o'connor and will see how he goes.

Nice to see this thread doing okay!

Right, just to kick off the Norwich chat. I'm pleasantly surprised with the strength of the squad available to the club. Players like Grant Holt, Wes Hoolahan and Andrew Surman are well represented in the game and are good, solid players. And with £1.2mil and a fair whack of the wage budget left, there's plenty of scope to improve too.

A few tips for all Championship players; rearrange loan contracts! Leon Barnett is available for nothing per week rather than the £5.75k a week contract the game starts him with. His stats aren't particularly impressive, but he has performed well for me in the game.

I've signed a few players so far. Out the door has gone Matt Gill, Owain Tudor Jones, Stephen Hughes and sadly, Oli Johnson. Oli in particular disappointed me. His potential appears to be near to his current ability. I think most Norwich fans would agree he's a lad with good potential. Stephen Hughes is the only one who has fetched a fee; I managed to get £100k for him from Bristol City. I think Hughes could be useful, but on £5k a week I felt the wages were better spent elsewhere.

I've signed a one on loan and one on a free. Through the door is Arsenal's Craig Eastmond. He's a very useful utility player who I've brought in to offer someone to cover the right back berth and defensive midfield berths. He can do either role very well. Signed on a free is Jérémie Aliadière. Aliadiere is another who's stats should be taken into context. If you're in the Championship, just take this lad on trial. I guarentee you'll be impressed. His pace up front (I play him in the left striker position) coupled with his PPM to move into channels makes him a dangerous striker. He performed abysmally in the AMR position, however. Finally, his wage demands initially are high; but negotiate with him. I found he'd accept as low as £4k a week. A bargain if you ask me.

Finally, my one and only paid signing (and you'll see why). Barnsley's Adam Hammill. Hammill is exactly my kind of player, quick, nimble and technically good. Not terribly strong, though, and may require a capable substitute to replace him near the end of games. He cost me £1.5mil, £500k up front, the rest over 48 months. I did have a plan B, that being Watford's Don Cowie. Seemingly available for £500k, Cowie is not quite as quick as Hammill but technically superior. He'd have made a great alternative if I'd have lost out.

I'm still in the market for a good DM and about to restart the demo (the demo ended with me second in the league). I'm quite pleased with the tactics I'm employing at the minute, they seem to be effective. I managed a 2-1 loss to Cardiff the first game of the season and lost to Middlesborough and surprisingly Scunthorpe away from home. I'm playing a 4-4-2 with the MR in the AM position. It looks something like (right to left):

-----------------Ruddy----------------

Martin---Barnett---Ward---Smith

-----------Korey---Wes-----Surman

Hammill--------------------------------

-----------Holt-----Aliadiere---------

Subs: Declan, JBA, Fox, McNamee, Jackson, Eastmond, Drury

Obviously for the first couple of months, Smith is injured so Drury replaces him with usually Lappin on the bench instead.

Hammill is usually playing as an inside forward, Korey as a supportive central midfielder, Wes as an attacking playmaker and Surman as a supportive winger. Aliadiere is a poacher and Holty as a supportive target man. I'm experimenting next time with him a bit more attacking. I also need to tighten the defence up a little. We've conceeded some stupid goals and I need to cut that out if I have proper aspirations of anything this season. I think the personnel are right, I just need to tweak the tactics somewhat. I may ask the collective knowledge of the Thread when I get my faulty motherboard fixed and computer back!

I do, yes. Scunthorpe have a few decent defenders up back, Cliff Byrne, Rob Jones (overrated in game, IMO) and David Mirfin, among others and the goalkeeper, Joe Murphy, is one of the best in the Championship. However, Scunthorpe have a distinct lack of firepower up front. Any manager who takes Scunthorpe on will need to either find a goal scoring striker or get the best from Chris Dagnall. That's why I've labelled him as a key player.

I'm still early on but koroma has been storming in the friendlies. I've signed garry o'connor and will see how he goes.

I signed Koroma on a hot prospect contract. I'm sending him out on loan for experience to league two. He ended the demo as L2's top scorer. I forget which team he signed for.

LincolnCanary - Jérémie Aliadière does indeed look like a good free signing for Championship sides, excellent pace and movement. I think I'll give him a try on my next run through the demo.

Hi Coen,

Don't talk to me then

I had a look at him to but his wages put me off!!! & Koroma is good as a hot prospect, just signed Julio Cruz 35 yr old striker better than Becchio

Hi Coen,

Don't talk to me then

I had a look at him to but his wages put me off!!! & Koroma is good as a hot prospect, just signed Julio Cruz 35 yr old striker better than Becchio

Sorry mate, I was only skimming the thread quickly when I posted earlier and didn't see you. Good to see you back again for another go at Leeds this year. :D

Aliadiere will come for lower wages than he first asks for, I got him for £8k a week. I played him for a few months and he wasn't great, 5 goals in 20 appearances, so I've just tried to sell him and got an offer of £2m for him to move on in January. So he might still be worth signing as an investment.

Koroma definitely seems to be worth signing as a prospect, I think Julio Cruz is probably a bit too old for me (although his stats do look pretty good) - I'd probably only use him as back up for Becchio and I already have Paynter for that.

Sorry mate, I was only skimming the thread quickly when I posted earlier and didn't see you. Good to see you back again for another go at Leeds this year. :D

Aliadiere will come for lower wages than he first asks for, I got him for £8k a week. I played him for a few months and he wasn't great, 5 goals in 20 appearances, so I've just tried to sell him and got an offer of £2m for him to move on in January. So he might still be worth signing as an investment.

Koroma definitely seems to be worth signing as a prospect, I think Julio Cruz is probably a bit too old for me (although his stats do look pretty good) - I'd probably only use him as back up for Becchio and I already have Paynter for that.

Yes I know but at start of season Becchio is only one available for that role Bought him as back up until Paynter & Somma return.

Looks like a long hard season in FM11 & real life for Leeds Utd

Hope you are OK

So Coen if Cruz is too old for you at 35, I'm guessing that you will not be interested in one Rivaldo at 37? He's available on a free this year and he still looks easily good enough for us. However, solely judging by our pulling power based on the demo, he most likely will not want to come when we get the full game. BTW Denilson is available on a free too...

That's a good return on Aliadiere. My experience from the demo is if you don't give a player games then you don't sell him and 5 goals in 20 games is a big sacrifice for £2M. I guess it goes back to your point about a possible second year in the Championship to consolidate, because in that context he's definitely worth playing for the £2M.

Yes I know but at start of season Becchio is only one available for that role Bought him as back up until Paynter & Somma return.

Looks like a long hard season in FM11 & real life for Leeds Utd

Hope you are OK

I'm fine cheers, hope you're doing ok as well . :)

Actually that's a good point - I had thought I'd get a striker in on loan as cover for Becchio but signing Julio Cruz might be a better idea. He could definitely do a job short term.

So Coen if Cruz is too old for you at 35, I'm guessing that you will not be interested in one Rivaldo at 37? He's available on a free this year and he still looks easily good enough for us. However, solely judging by our pulling power based on the demo, he most likely will not want to come when we get the full game. BTW Denilson is available on a free too...

That's a good return on Aliadiere. My experience from the demo is if you don't give a player games then you don't sell him and 5 goals in 20 games is a big sacrifice for £2M. I guess it goes back to your point about a possible second year in the Championship to consolidate, because in that context he's definitely worth playing for the £2M.

Just tried Aliadiere again with a change of tactics (I just set up the team and then holiday through the demo, I'm not actually playing properly just testing a few things out) and he ended up with 14 goals by the end of December, so I may have just had him set up wrong first time. Definitely looks a worthwhile signing on a free. I do need to spend some time looking at other players when the full games out though, I'll probably end up with completely different signings compared to the demo!

I think I'll plan on the basis that I won't get promotion in the first season as I'd rather spend more time rebuilding the squad, but I reckon a play off spot is perfectly achievable. It will probably come down to what further changes I can make to the squad during the January transfer window as to whether I go for an automatic promotion spot.

Archived