*Squad Analyzer*

VERSION 1.2 IS RELEASED!

NEW LINK: http://www.filefront.com/17175742/FMsquad v1.2.rar (re-uploaded on 5th August 2010)

Please ignore all links mentioned below because all of them were dead ...

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle."

- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Because Master Sun Tzu never plays FM, he doesn't know how hard it is just to 'know yourself' :)

Once you managed a club, the part of knowing yourself, especially your players, is very time consuming. There could be 40-50 of them (including reserves and youngster), and each of them has 36 attributes. It didn't really matter if you started with a well-known club such as Barcelona, Man Utd, AC Milan, because you could use your knowledge from the real world to assess your squad quickly, but you missed the real fun of playing FM ...

Supposed you managed an unknown club on a low division, you would probably asked yourself these kind of questions:

Who is the best player? Who should be on the starting eleven? On the bench? Who is the potential youngster? Who should be kicked out? Should I buy a new striker? Should I use a winger? Is my defender good enough? Is there a playmaker? a targetman? The fastest player? Who is the freekick taker? Who should be instructed with run with ball, forward run, or try through ball?

Question, question, question, and the answers can be found by staring on player profiles for hours, tried to reveal the crouching losers and hidden heroes ... Well, I've had enough! Didn't you realize we've been doing this since FM2005, and still continued on?

So, here it is, I present my new tool called Squad Analyzer, to save your precious time.

The main purpose of this tool is to provide an easier way to assess your player and your squad, without having to deal with their attribute value one-by-one directly.

With this tool, here is what you do:

1. Create an attribute group, for example, let's name it 'Fast Runner' or 'Free Kick Taker'

2. Define which attributes to relate with the group, for example: Pace, Acceleration, Stamina for Fast Runner; Free Kick Taking, Decisions, Composure, Technique for Free Kick Taker.

3. The tool will calculate the rating (the result between 1-100) for the group you create, and sort the players you have based on that rating.

The idea is similar with the attribute analyser shown on Player Profile screen, where Accelaration and Pace are grouped into Speed, Heading and Jumping are grouped into Aerial, and so on. Unfortunately, this attribute analyser is already pre-defined, you can't alter it without diving into the XML code.

Also, the Squad Screen in the game only allowed you to sort the player based on one attribute only. It's hard to judge which player is the best based on more than one attribute, so that's where this tool becomes useful.

Version 1.1 released:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?p=4688634

Version 1.2 released:

http://community.sigames.com/showpost.php?p=4735884

Here's the link to download this tool:

Version 1 http://www.filefront.com/15384309/FMsquad.rar

Version 1.1 http://www.filefront.com/15413811/FMsquad%20v1.1.rar

Version 1.2 http://www.filefront.com/15465869/FMsquad%20v1.2.rar

This tool is an upgrade version from my previous one, *Player Role Rating Tool*, a simple tool to calculate how good a player on each role available on FM2010.

http://www.community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=183469

All the features from the previous tool are still available here.

Read on to see how to use this tool ...

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle."

- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

A very good book:thup:

A nice addition to the forum btw :)

How to use Squad Analyzer:

1. The boring part: open Player Profile for each player from your squad, and save it as a text file. I took less than 5 minutes to save the whole senior squad (about 20 players), and it was worth it, trust me!

(Too bad my programming skill is limited, I can't access this player data directly just like FMRTE or FMGenie, so you just have to do this)

From Player Profile Screen, use Ctrl-P, and choose the third option: Text File.

NOTE: use English language on your FM game when generating these text files, otherwise the tool will generate an error:

... field RATING does not accept null values ...

savetotextfile.jpg

Select folder location to save the text file, the default location for this tool is FMsquad\data.

I suggest to leave the filename on its default value (number dot name), because the text file generated doesn't contain the player name, so I assume this filename as the player's name.

selectfolderlocation.jpg

2. Run the tool: FMsquad.exe. Choose menu Program - Player Rating

The players you saved as text files from the first step should be loaded on the PLAYER LIST combo box.

The tool will calculate the rating based on player's attribute for standard roles available on FM2010, so you know which role he plays best.

playerrating.jpg

3. Choose Custom from option group on the right.

The tool will show the rating of the player based on the user-defined custom group (I use the term 'Skill' to refer to this custom group).

playerrating2.jpg

4. You can define the skill you want by using menu Program - Custom Skill

customskill.jpg

Click button Add on bottom left to input a new skill. Click Add button on the bottom right to select an attribute to be added on current skill. Return to menu Program - Player Rating, and choose the Custom option, the skill you just added should be shown here.

5. Choose menu Program - Squad Rating

Here you can see which player is the best on a certain role or a certain skill that you created.

squadrating2.jpg

6. You can double-click on the role name of Player Rating screen to view the detailed attribute data. The highlighted attributes are the ones required for the current role/skill.

Similarly, you can also double-click on the player name of Squad Rating screen.

detailattributes.jpg

7. You just finished the step of 'know yourself' as stated by Master Sun Tzu. Repeat step 1-6 on other clubs to finish the step of 'know your enemy' :D

For you who can't wait to try this tool right away, I included a complete senior squad of an English club from the lowest division to analyze.

Here's the link to download this tool:

http://www.filefront.com/15384309/FMsquad.rar (only 3 Mb)

Could someone tell me which thread that contains information about what attributes needed to give Player Instruction such as Run From Deep, Run With Ball, Long Shots, Through Balls, Creative Freedom, Closing Down, Man/Zonal Marking, and so on?

I want to update the tool with this information and re-upload it, to save others from doing the input themselves.

Just downloaded, and I am looking at it now. Great tool!

Thank you! Glad you like it!

Finally got a positive response after 59 downloads :D

Just when I begin to think that my tool is rubbish that nobody seems bother to used it :confused:

Thanks for this great job.....Instead of picking data from each player profile, why did'nt you choose to work with an export file from Geniescout ? in html format, txt or csv ? it will be easier for user to export player data from Geniescout than printing each player one by one.

And an help for individual advanced instruction, will be a GREAT THINGS to add to your soft. But I can't help you for attributes you ask, sorry.

Thanks for this great job.....Instead of picking data from each player profile, why did'nt you choose to work with an export file from Geniescout ? in html format, txt or csv ? it will be easier for user to export player data from Geniescout than printing each player one by one.

Thanks for the idea. I've been thinking about that too. But as I worked on this, Geniescout still can't support the 10.2 patch, so I decided to use this way, the 'hard and boring' way. But, this also makes the tool as a stand-alone application. I can't imagine how angry someone after download this, only to find out that he has to download another software to make it works.

However, I do plan to add the import feature in the future once Geniescout is released for 10.2 patch.

thanks for your reply...Geniescout is now compatible with 10.2 patch and I think user of your brilliant tools have already Geniescout installed on their machine ;)

OK, downloading Geniescout and begin working on my tool right away ...

i loved this tiny programme. Tnx a lot for the efford. However some ratings suprised me. F.E. Darijo Srna is an amazing DR but this software thinks he is a MC or MR even a winger. Even more striker then a full back :)

srna.jpg

i loved this tiny programme. Tnx a lot for the efford. However some ratings suprised me. F.E. Darijo Srna is an amazing DR but this software thinks he is a MC or MR even a winger. Even more striker then a full back :)

Yes, I'm aware of that. However his natural position is important. I think if you force him to play as a striker there must be some kind of 'penalty' that prevent him to perform well at that position. But it's worth to try if you like ;)

Yes, I'm aware of that. However his natural position is important. I think if you force him to play as a striker there must be some kind of 'penalty' that prevent him to perform well at that position. But it's worth to try if you like ;)

Hmm. Might be worth having a look at setting your (extremely useful and well designed) programme up to exclude results for positions below a Positional Rating of 15, which iirc, is the best indicator of whether a player will actually perform well there. Especially if you ever take the information from another source other than text file.

Well done though. I love this little app!! Kudos.

Looks a very interesting app. Can you customise the excellent, good etc ratings? In lower leagues no one would be on 16-20 and 11-15 would be excellent. In my 10th tier a 6 for a technical attribute would be deemed excellent.

Yes, you can. Use menu Program - Rating Setting

Cheers. Looks very interesting; I'll wait until you've released a revised version and download it! :thup:

As I said before, I will re-upload the newer version which support importing data from Genie Scout. Still working on it, hope I can finish it within few days.

However, I want to re-upload this along with more variety of Custom Skill. The current default such as Hardworker, Fast Runner, Run With Ball, and so on actually just too plain simple. I 'made it up' on last minute before uploading, just to give you an example how to use this tool.

Maybe you guys can give me a suggestion what skill I should add. I'm thinking about adding 'Creative Freedom', 'Man Marking', 'Closing Down', but I don't know what attributes needed for them ... :o

i cant get it to work..

I made the playerfiles, first i tried saving them as they are "playernumber. Playername" and then i renamed them all to "playername" (as in squadnumber and the actual name=D )

but on both occations, when i tried using the tool, i get an error message saying "Field RATING does not accept null values" what does that mean? am i the only one getting this?

h4r1: Brilliant work, you're a complete legend!!

Been waiting for the updated framework so I could do something similar with ProZone's tool ... although now I get to enjoy it without the effort!!

If you read my previous thread about the old version of this tool, it was ProZone who actually gave me the inspiration to start working on this tool :thup:

*Squad Analyzer* v1.1 is released!

Link: http://www.filefront.com/15413811/FMsquad%20v1.1.rar

This is a stand-alone application, you don't need the previous version to run this.

Added feature: read CSV file exported by another software called FM Genie Scout, so you don't have to save each player one-by-one anymore.

This tool doesn't include the FM Genie Scout, you have to download and install it separately.

Link to FM Genie Scout: http://www.fmscout.com/a-fm_genie_scout_10.html

1. You need to copy FM Genie Scout layout file (FMsquad v1.1\Genie Layout\FMsquad.glf) to your FM Genie Scout\Layouts folder.

2. Run FMGenieScout.exe, filter any players you want. Make sure you use FMsquad layout, then export to CSV

(FM Genie Scout is a very popular software, so I assume you already familiar with it).

3. Run the FMsquad.exe, use menu Program - Player Rating or Program - Squad Rating

There is a new option button to choose the source of player data: FM Text File and Genie Scout CSV

Click on the second option (obviously), then click Folder ... button to locate the CSV file created from the 2nd step. Done!

Note that I included a CSV file as an example: FMsquad v1.1\DATA\AFC Telford.csv

h4r1,

Thanks for this great tool, but right after I have clicked on anything in this new version, my PC freezes in that way that I have to restart it (even Task Manager is not working).

Do you have any idea what the problem could be?

h4r1,

Thanks for this great tool, but right after I have clicked on anything in this new version, my PC freezes in that way that I have to restart it (even Task Manager is not working).

Do you have any idea what the problem could be?

Sorry, I can't find exactly what's the problem if there's no error message on your PC.

Everything runs OK on mine, besides it's only a small change from the previous version, so I expect there shouldn't be a problem with the new one. Guess I have to wait for others to know whether it's working or not ...

Is there all dll files in the archive?

In the role analyzer I saw your comment that there were some missing.

Yes, there are 3 files:

msvcr71.dll, vfp9r.dll, vfp9renu.dll

I already included in the archive. Or you can copy those files from the previous version if you still have it.

Actually, you can try this:

create a folder copy from the previous version, then replace the fmsquad.exe and config.dbf with the one from the newer version. That should work ...

Yes, there are 3 files:

msvcr71.dll, vfp9r.dll, vfp9renu.dll

I already included in the archive. Or you can copy those files from the previous version if you still have it.

Actually, you can try this:

create a folder copy from the previous version, then replace the fmsquad.exe and config.dbf with the one from the newer version. That should work ...

The second one worked for me (if I replaced these two files with the newer versions).

I thought everybody already lost interest in this tool :D

Still working on it, nothing major, though ...

Hope I can upload it on this weekend.

Lost interest? This tool is great! I am looking forward to any improvements you will be making:D

Sorry for being the idiot that i am,but where exactly do i extract the file to.I am able to save the players rating to the text files,but i cant find where to run fmrole,i was thinking that maybe its because i extracted the file just into fm 2010?Cheers

Version 1.2 is released!

Add new category besides Role and Custom: Player Instruction.

Add some GUI improvements.

Add TOP 5 skills on Detail Player Screen.

A new category of skill is added: Player Instruction. Now you can quickly determine whether your player capable of doing the instruction or not. The attributes defined for each instruction can be edited on menu Program - Custom Skill.

customskill.jpg

On menu Program - Squad Rating, I added a subfolder list, where each subfolder can represent a squad. Just click on the subfolder name to change the data between the squad.

squadrating.jpg

As the example above, the default folder is D:\HARI\FMSQUAD\DATA. I create a subfolder D:\HARI\FMSQUAD\DATA\GAINSBOROUGH and save each Gainsborough player on this subfolder. Then I create a subfolder D:\HARI\FMSQUAD\DATA\ALL STAR and save each player I consider the best on this. So I can switch squad easily by clicking subfolder list on the left.

Similarly, if you use Genie Scout CSV, the list will show a list of CSV file where each file represent a squad.

squadrating2.jpg

I just copy/save each CSV file from FM Genie Scout to my default folder D:\HARI\FMSQUAD\DATA

Player Detail screen, can be accessed by double-clicking on player name from Squad Rating screen or role/skill from Player Rating screen. I added a TOP 5 section on this screen for each category: Role, Player Instruction and Custom. So you can use this screen as a quick reference about what a player can do best on the field. Notes that it's only top 5 visible on the screen, but actually you can scroll down the list using keyboard to view the rest.

playerdetail.jpg

Here's the link to download version 1.2:

http://www.filefront.com/15465869/FMsquad%20v1.2.rar

Archived