FM10: Genoa C.F.C - Back in Europe!

swisso

Genoa C.F.C 1893

422pxgenoacfc.png

-----------------------------------------------------------

History

Despite a haul of 9 Championship titles in their early years, Genoa have often failed to live up to their past time and become some-what of a 'yo-yo' club in Italian football. Brief hope in the 80's saw them under new ownership with UEFA Cup qualification and a double over the mighty Liverpool only to let it slip away with the loss of the Manager and key players over the next decade, ensuring relegation in the mid 90's.

Numerous changes in ownership, managers and involvement in a match fixing scandal saw Genoa relegated to Serie C for the 05-06 season. Back to back promotions put Genoa back in Serie A where Diego Milito fired Genoa to a 5th placed finish in 08-09 ensuring UEFA Europa League qualification once more.

Finances

Balance: £15m

Sponsorship:

• 2 year £1.3m Kit deal (ends 2011)
  • Additional 3 year kit £1.15m kit deal (ends 2011)

Wages: £565,000 per week

Transfer Budgets:

• Continental Qualification £6.75m
  • Top Half Finish £5.25m

Transfer Budgets can be doubled if you assign some of the wage budget to transfers.

Squad

Goalkeepers

• Marco Amelia
  • Danilo Russo
  • Alessio Scarpi

Defenders

• Domenico Criscito
  • Ivan Fatić
  • Sokratis Papastathopoulos
  • Andrea Esposito
  • Emiliano Moretti
  • Salvatore Bocchetti
  • Magnus Troest
  • Guiseppe Biava
  • Francesco Modesto
  • Nenad Tomović

Midfielders

• Houssine Kharja
  • Marco Rossi
  • Stephan El Shaarawi
  • Boško Janković
  • Alberto Zapater
  • Ivan Jurić
  • Omar Milanetto
  • Sergio Floccari
  • Giuseppe Sculli
  • Giandomenico Mesto
  • Francesco Bolzoni

Forwards

• Hernán Crespo
  • Raffaele Palladino
  • Rodrigo Palacio
  • Luciano Figueroa
  • Robert Acquafresca

Squad Analysis

Goalkeepers

Marco Amelia has the potential to become one of the best in Serie A, so theres absolutely no need to worry about the GK position. Ameila is already at a high ability and provides a solid rock to build the team on.

Defenders

Genoa's strongest part of the team. Criscito has the potential to be one of the best left-backs in Serie A. He's currently co-owned by Juventus, so you'll have to bid for him next season, or perhaps bid straight away if you feel you can afford it. Fatic can provide cover for LB. Centrehalfs are plenty; Bocchetti and Papastathopoulos have the potential to become a good Serie A pairing, with Biava and Espositio providing cover. Tomovic has no competition for Right-back unless you retrain the Captain, Rossi, so i'd look at bringing someone at right-back, perhaps someone who can cover both full-back slots.

Midfielders

The weakest part of Genoa's team. Despite adding steel in the form of Zapater, there's very little creativity in the midfield to complement him. There's plenty of defensive minded midfielders, but a creative ballplayer is needed in the centre. Sculli, Floccari, Padallino and Kharja can do a job out wide, but Padallino and Floccari are injured for the first few months so wingers are a priority in the first window. Jankovic could do a job outwide, but with a serious injury, you're unlikely to see him until the end of the season.

Forwards

Palacio, Crespo and Figueroa all offer something different. Crespo, despite his age, hasn't deteriorated badly and should be comfortable for a season up front. Palacio and Figueroa are both dual-footed players and could be useful playing off Crespo at either side in a 3-4-3 formation. Acquafresca has the potential to become a good striker in Serie A and is much more of an all rounder than anyone you have so keep hold!

Youth

Stephen El Shaarawy, Diego Polenta and Mattia Perin are all rated as good prospects. They should be tutored straight away to help them reach their potential.

Tactical Analysis

I'm a firm believer in building a tactic around the team you have available to you, instead of trying to force players into a tactic that might not get the best from them.

As such, a 3-4-3 is the likeliest formation for Genoa, replicating their tactics in real life.

genoatactics.png

Figueroa and Palacio could be played as Deep Lying Forwards, perhaps enable swapping of positions under advanced intructions to confuse man-marking defenders. Both are dual footed so should be able to work off Crespo on either flank. Crespo could work as an Advanced Forward given his finishing and composure in front of goal.

Zapater and Juric and both hard working midfielders set to Central Midfielder > Defend. Sculli and Mesto are set to Wide Midfielder > Attack, the only difference with 'Winger' is that a Wide Midfielder does less dribbling down the flank which suits Sculli and Mesro since neither are great dribblers.

Playing 3 centrehalfs takes advantage of the best players in the team; Bocchetti, Papastathopoulos and Criscito, all set to Limited Defenders > Defend

I'd recommend playing with a Rigid and Standard philisophy and strategy since there's very little creativity in the Genoa side and it relys on hardworking and determined players, a strategy that will fall apart if you ask players to move out of position. A more disciplined passing style, but direct with players sticking to position should allow the team to keep it's shape and not over-expose itself.

Advice and Improvements

Wingers are a must, because theres little creative talent in the side. Angel di Maria can be loaned from Benfica for a small fee, speaks Italian and is good enough to start on the left-wing straight away. Try and loan him asap to prevent Benfica including him in their European squad list, or he'll be ineglible for your squad in Europe. Van der Vaart is another loan option for the centre, but his lazyness, poor strength and tackling might be overcomitting too much to the attacking side.

Ideally, you need to add creative, but industrious centre-midfielders. They need to track back and support the defence, but also pass the ball around to link up play with the forwards. Steven Defour, Miguel Veloso and Joao Moutinho are all possibilities if you pay a small sum up front and then spread the rest over 48 months. If you really wanted to push the boat out, try for Montolivio from Fiorentina or Ledesma from Lazio and spread the cost out over 48 months.

The fairly low wage bill means Genoa's costs are quite low overall and the good TV money in Italy, which i think is around £40m per season for Genoa, should cover any transfer payments for big signings.

Long-Term future

The stadium (Luigi Ferraris) isn't owned by Genoa and is being rented. I've noticed in some long-term games that Genoa often get a new stadium built with a Bank Loan around 2016. If you manage to build a strong team up and achieve some success then i see no reason why a new stadium won't be built for you if average attendances reach the 36,000 mark.

Some of the stadiums have been around 65,000 in capacity, which should enable you to compete with the rest of Europe.

TV Money over the season also increases regularly, depending on your success. I've achieved income of £60m in Serie A alone by 2012.

Merchandise income should also increase if you increase your reputation by success, allowing you to affiliate with Commercial Feeder Clubs boosting Merchandise income.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some info about Genoa's Finances:

After the 1st season, you'll see yearly TV Income reach levels of £40m, more if you make the Champions League. This TV Income alone is enough to cover wage expenditure of around £760,000 per week, so try and stick to a wage structure of around this amount.

Sponsorship will generally rise after 2 seasons to around £9m which will give you a boost in the summer. Season Ticket money remains stagnant because of the small capacity of Genoa's stadium.

Qualification for the Champions League is vital and could bring in more than £30m over the season, without it you'll probably run a small loss, with it you'll make profits in the millions.

I've not experienced a takeover yet and the board has rejected my request for a stadium expansion, but i'm satisfied with my squad so i might try and build up a strong balance and ask again next summer :)

Despite making some big signings, Fabregas in from Barcelona after they transfer listed him! Pjanic in from Lyon and Ben Arfa from OM after his contract expired, i'm struggling in Serie A :(

Too many teams are on a similar level, meaning 1 win can send you up 5 places, a loss can send you to mid-table!

Tempted to get rid of Mollo and Boudabouz and bring in Zucillini out wide as a wide-midfielder to add some steel on the right, even though he can't cross :D

If i was starting again with those players, then i would try

--DC--DC--DC--

--DMC---DMC--

------MC------

AMR-------AML

----ST--ST----

Because it makes use of the best players available to you.

3 DC's of Bocchetti, Criscito and Papastathopoulos ( 2 x Limited Defender, Defend and middle DC as Limited Defender Cover)

2 DMC's of Bolzoni/Zapater/Mariga (Defensive Midfielder Support)

1 MC - Defour (Deep Lying Playmaker Support)

2 Wingers, Di Maria/Flocari/Sculli (Winger Attack)

Strikers- Figueroa/Crespo or rotate all 4!

I would play a Counter style with a rigid philosophy, Short Passing, More Disciplined, Press More, More Agressive and Stick to Position. Go into advanced and make sure passing is set to Passing > down both flanks.

Hehe seems that way Hopey :(

I'm playing a 3-5-2 now with the players i have.

I've set both wide men to Wide Midfielder-Automatic, which set's their mentality like Wing-Backs, or attacking wing-backs if i'm playing an attacking game.

Ideal for Santon :D

Board expects me to win Serie A :(

Terrible start in 2012-2013 (last season), we had an awful run of games, losing 5-1 to Udinese, 4-1 to Lazio, only for a massive resurgance and a change of tactics to 3-5-2 which saw me finish 2nd (level with Palermo) and just above Atalanta and Udinese. Lost the Champions League final to Man City 3-0, hammered by them!

Juventus and Inter have fallen away to midtable now, Roma and Lazio aren't doing so well and AC Milan are dominating.

So now at the start of 2013-2014

------------Amelia------------

Zapata-Sakho-Bocchetti-Criscito

-----Fabregas---Guarente---

Ben Arfa-------------David Silva

----Pazzini------Acquafresca----

Is how i'm lined up now, with Pjanic, Zuccilini, Santon, Papastopholous and some regens providing cover.

I keep asking the board if we can expand the stadium every 4 months and it's been rejected so far. But i'm hoping it'll get accepted next season.

A player similiar to Zapater, maybe with a little more offensive skills. Have around 3£.. Might sell an attacker so that I can bring in more transfer funds!

btw, do anyone know where I can find and download Genoa player photos? So I can have them in game :)

A player similiar to Zapater, maybe with a little more offensive skills. Have around 3£.. Might sell an attacker so that I can bring in more transfer funds!

btw, do anyone know where I can find and download Genoa player photos? So I can have them in game :)

I don't think you can get that much of a player for 3 pounds... ;)

I'm gussing it should be 3 million? If so, take a look at Fernando Gago, Real Madrid, if he hasn't already switched clubs.

Finally won Serie A :D

Ransford Osei was a key part of the success, nearly outscoring Acquafresca.

David Silva and Hartem Ben Arfa were vital with the assists on the wing.

Just waiting for the new season update, hopefully the board agree to a stadium build because the 36,000 attendance isn't enough to keep me going :(

Brought Steven Defour in the januari transfer due to Zapater injury. He made a great debute with one goal from 25metres out!

It's the 7th februari and we are 8th in the league, but only three points up to 5th place!

Having a bit of problem with which attacker that should accompany Cresp upfront in my 4-4-2 =/

I found that Serie A was very tight, 1 win could send you up 3-4 places in the league!

I'm now entering the 2014-2015 season. Attendances are maxed out at 36,000 per game, we have 27,500 Season Ticket holders, but no stadium in sight :(

No major signings this season, so my team is still the same as last season.

---------------------------------Amelia-----------------------------------

Cristian Zapata---Mamadou Sakho---Salvatore Bocchetti---Domenico Criscito

-----------------Cesc Fabregas------Tiberio Guarente----------------------

Hartem Ben Arfa-------------------------------------------------David Silva

---------------Robert Acquafresca---------Ransford Osei-------------------

Finished first season on 5th place after Inter, Fiorentina, Milan and Juventus.

First season I brought in:

Nicolas Otamendi

Steven Defour

Angel dí Maria

Out:

Giuseppe Bavia

Stephan El Shaarawy

Franscesco Modesto

Since Juric and Milanetto are aging I'm thinking bringing in another midfielder. Think I'll pick Albin Ekdal on loan.

Might need another defender also!

I like the signings, all young with high potential ability :)

I bought Otamendi for Barcelona, but they transfer listed him when i left and sold him to Roma, so now i play against him in Serie A :(

Roma also signed Defour and he's doing very well, but Di Maria is struggling to get games at Udinese.

I think i might test myself and only use players from my youth team and see where it gets me :D

Starting the new season 2015-2016.

Players In: 0

Players Out: Villagra (regen) > Real Madrid £16.5m.

:D

Hoping to build up a strong balance, over £100m, then ask the board again in December if they'll expand the stadium.

Our new Top Class Facilties and State Of The Art Youth Academy are producing some good youngsters with 3 star Potential Abilities, putting them on par with my current squad.

If i keep this game long enough, i hope to be able to field an entire first team 11 of Home Grown at Club players :D

Haha, what a nice christmas gift!

I haven't played that much the past days, but I've played four games so far and I'm sitting on 2nd place. In one match though my two centrebacks both got redcards in the 30th minute and when I fined them they thought it was a bit of injustice..Dno why.. Really ****es me off and now the whole team is mad at me 'cause I'm to harsh.

I've also started a game as Genoa, on the 10.2 db. Never played as them before in this or previous versions but loving it so far.

Season 09/10:

First of all I had an almost complete clearout on the coaching front to get some staff who could well.... coach?

Brought in Rosario di Vicenzo from Palermo to be my Assistant along with some good coaches from a variety of nations.

Transfers pre-season:

In: (Some costs spread over X/per month)

Pablo Mouche, St, 9.5m from Boca

Marco Verratti, Amc, 170k from Pescara (great little player, developing well).

David Alaba, Wbl/Amlc, 6.5m from Bayern Munich.

Denilson (formerly Real Betis), Aml, Free.

Jorge Andrade, Free.

Eduardo Salvio, Amr/Fc, 7.5m from Lanus.

Damiano Ferronetti, Dr/c, 2.2m (Juventus/Udinese).

Also loaned Vladimir Weiss from Man City and Fausto Rossi from Juventus for added cover.

Out:

Omar Milanetto - Man City, 2.2m

Giuseppe Biava - Stuttgart, 5.75m

Giuseppe Sculli - Inter Milan, 8.25m

Francesco Modesto - Arsenal, 8.5m

Marco Rossi - Man City, 9m

Luciano Figueroa - Zenit, 4.6m

Also sent Kharja on loan to Liverpool in the hope they'd sign him at the end of the season, and to save the money from his wages.

Found it a bit weird in my 10.2 game that such teams were going for these players but loaded it up a few times and seems to keep happening.

First half of the season was a bit tough, too many draws and we were hanging around 11th-14th, began playing 442 with Crespo and Mouche upfront but Crespo kept getting injured so switched to various single striker formations, mostly 4231.

Knocked out Amkar to reach the Euro Cup group stage but got drawn with Everton, HSV and Metalist. We ended up fourth in this group tied on 7 points with Metalist, HSV won the group with 12 points, Everton second with 9. Tough group, lost a couple of games in the final few minutes but we did ok, Board/fans weren't too happy though as minimum aim was second knockout round.

In December, another bizarre transfer offer as Everton came in for Emiliano Moretti with an 8.5m bid. As I'd been playing Criscito at DL all the time I accepted and he departed in January. Brought in Tore Reginiussen from Tromso, Jadson from Shakhtar and Claudio Lopez all on free transfers as well as a couple of young spanish regens, one a gk to cover for Amelia who was injured at this point as Scarpi and Russo just weren't up to the task.

Kept enquiring to Juventus about how much they wanted for Criscito, started at something like 7m in September, but come February 2010 I asked again and they said 2.9m so of course I agreed immediately so now own his contract fully.

First season we finished 7th behind Juventus, Palermo, Inter, Milan, Fiorentina and Roma. Highlight of the season was probably beating our fierce rivals Sampdoria to reach the Italian Cup semi final, though we sadly lost to Juventus 3-1 over the two legs, they were on fire this season winning 30 of their games and only losing 2 in the league. At least we just pinched a Euro Cup spot though.

Spent: £34.5m, Received: £48m

Jorge Andrade was signing of the season in Serie A, he was fantastic paired with Bocchetti in defence.

Marco Amelia was quite rightly voted supporters player of the year as he and our strong defence helped us on a 12 game unbeated run in the second half of the season to secure 7th place.

Mouche was our top scorer with 15 and Salvio had most assists with 12. Both Amelia and Salvio were selected in the Serie A team of the season.

On a more negative note we had the worst discipline in the league with 100 yellows and 5 reds.

--------------Amelia----------------

Ferronetti-Andrade-Bocchetti-Criscito

--------Zapater----Juric©---------

----Salvio----Jadson-----Floccari----

-------------Mouche----------------

Now looking forward to season two when the likes of Acquafresca, Bolzoni, Vanden Bore, Forestieri will return from their first season loans. Also hoping to move some of the higher wage players (crespo) out to try and save money and get a new stadium at some point in the future.

Anyway, enjoying it so far :)

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to start a new game as Genoa as my old one saw me taking over in 2012 and i didn't really feel it was my work.

Transfers out are Modesto for £7.5m to Arsenal and Figueroa to Napoli for £3.5m

Adjusted the wage budget and managed to get the transfer budget up to £24m as a result.

As a result, Transfers in are Montolivio £16.75m, Pepe £16.5m and D'Agostino for £18m. All over 48months of course ;)

Really looking to finish in the top 4 to guarentee CL football next season, hence the big spending on 2 central players and a winger.

Mahammdou Diarra (loan) and Vedad Ibisevic (£11m over 48mths) also brought in.

Quite pleased with the team now

----------------Ameila----------------

Rossi-Papasthopholous-Bocchetti-Criscito

--------------Zapater------------------

------Montolivio-------D'Agostino-------

Pepe-----------------------------Flocari

---------------Ibisevic------------------

Crespo, Sculli, Diarra all as capable backups for ST, DMC and AMR/AML

Well, I'm now at the start of my fourth season in my game, won Serie A twice, 1x Italian Cup, 2x Super cup.

Acquafresca and Bolzoni are really the only forward or midfielder I have left from those you start with at Genoa, but my GK/back 4 is still Amelia, Criscito, Bocchetti, Papastathopoulos and Tomovic/Vanden Borre.

Only really need to add some quality in midfield or upfront as you have done as you already have a nice foundation with the defenders Genoa have, and Amelia although he's no Akinfeev or Adler is still a great Gk.

Second season is going really well.

Played 12, Won 11, Drawn 1.

Champions League isn't going too well though, 4th seeds and put with Celtic (4-3 loss away) Arsenal (2-0 win home) and Panathanikos (2-2 draw home) so it's not looking likely that i'll qualify unless i pickup points at home to Celtic

Key thing i've found is not to change the squad too much, bring in a few faces for key positions, but don't make wholesale changes.

Went out of the Champions league in the Group Stages :D

Which sent my reputation down and key players requested transfers! Bochetti, Acquafresca, Papastopholous and Pepe all demanded moves away, which i turned down.

We ended up finishing 3rd behind runaway leaders Inter and 2nd behind Juventus again.

3rd season started with shipping out a lot of reserves and u18 players to free up wages and brought in:

Giuseppe Rossi, Tiberio Guarente, Mamadou Sakho, Eden Hazard and Alessandro Rosina.

Plan on playing a 4-4-2 with 2 high wingers either cutting inside (Hazard, Flocari, Rosina) or crossing (Pepe). 1 defensive midfielder (Bolzoni or Guarente) paired with a playmaker (Montolivio or D'Agostino) and 1 creative forward (Rossi or Forestieri) paired with 1 out and out striker (Munian or Acquafresca). This is probably my best chance of winning Serie A :)

£40m to spend, which i increased by transfering from the wage budget and some deals over 48months.

Not too worried though, in the 2nd and 3rd seasons the TV rights money increases to £40m and will increase again if i finish higher up, not to mention i should go further than the Group Stages of the CL this time.

I think i'll put a stop to any more 1st team signings and concentrate on youth. Need to get the balance up to get a new stadium built :D

• 4 weeks later...

Just startet a game with Genoa.

Sold:

Marco Rossi

Guiseppe Biava

Francesco Modesto

Giuseppe Sculli

Luciano Figueroa

Bought:

Otamendi

Montolivo

Hamsik

Milevskyi

Play a 3-5-2/5-3-2 with 2 WB and 3 CM.

Qualified to Uefa cup against Rapid Wien (6-1), and won the first game in the league 2-1 agains Roma at home.

Looks like a great game :)

Archived