Facing a Former Player.

i like the feature when you face a former player , where you get to comment on them i.e they wouldnt be able to get into your team now. however i believe this feature could be enhanced by being able to thank them for playing a crucial part in your club avoiding the drop etc

Any Thoughts?

Thanks SP icon_wink.gif

i like the feature when you face a former player , where you get to comment on them i.e they wouldnt be able to get into your team now. however i believe this feature could be enhanced by being able to thank them for playing a crucial part in your club avoiding the drop etc

Any Thoughts?

Thanks SP icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spineles:

Agree its a nice feature but gets a bit annoying after your former player has played against you about 3-4 times and your still being asked about him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, this needs to be fixed... it gets tiresome facing former players in about 10 premier league teams.

I liked this feature at first but now 8 season on every time I play Man Utd with my Sunderland team I get the message about Jonny Evans being an ex-Sunderland player even thouygh he only played 14 games for my team.

It gets very annoying after second time of being asked about a player.

What I would prefer is when you the manager faces his former club. You could have options such as,

:Yes it was the right move for me and it is showing

:I am very happy at my desicion

:No I did not make the wrong choice the club is in transition

etc etc

oh, and i want it so bad to comment on a player when he's leaving (instead of "the club needs money from the transfer" or "not in the 1st team plans" etc). e.g. i want to thank him for all the good work and wish him all the best, or wish his new club's style of play suits him better, or just go s*d himself.

maybe we could have it that we are only asked on the first instance, except in the case of a club legend, i.e. thierry henry or patrick vieira playing arsenal would be a big story every time

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Midge:

It gets very annoying after second time of being asked about a player.

What I would prefer is when you the manager faces his former club. You could have options such as,

:Yes it was the right move for me and it is showing

:I am very happy at my desicion

:No I did not make the wrong choice the club is in transition

etc etc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by llama3:

maybe we could have it that we are only asked on the first instance, except in the case of a club legend, i.e. thierry henry or patrick vieira playing arsenal would be a big story every time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SuperGreen:

yeah it does indeed get annoying epescially if its like ten years after the guy has left. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As annoying is when the player starts on loan at your club and is then associated in this way.

What I mean is that, at the start of the game, a player was on loan at my club. At the end of the first season he returned to his own club. Every time we meet since I am asked about my former player even though he was only a loanee for one season.

Strange.

It's far too simplistic at the moment as all it appears to do is reference the unique ID of the club you are managing and then print the message if it's on the list.

If possible I'd like to see it be more complex:-

1. reference the number of appearances and use as a limit for when the message appears.

2. if the player meets the minimum number of appearances then reference their impact and incorporate into the message (MOM, goals, assists, average rating).

3. was the player a club captain or is he currently on the favoured personnel list. Reference this value and combine with the seasons since they left to decide whether or not to print the message.

4. if the player was on loan then only print the message if the encounter is in the season immediately after the loan season and if the player made an impact (could be judged by referencing appearances, goals, MOM awards, assists and ratings).

5. was the player purchased/sold by the manager which could be referenced.

6. if the player was not a 'legend' (criteria could be used) then only print this message x number of seasons after the player leaves the club.

Some kind of top down approach of criteria to filter out the 'pointless' players being given that message. At the moment it feels like a feature that was just thrown in and done so in it's most basic manner.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">it gets tiresome facing former players in about 10 premier league teams. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The sollution is simple then. Transfer the player to a team in another country. I did this with a couple of Man United player and havent came across them yet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by isuckatfm:

It's far too simplistic at the moment as all it appears to do is reference the unique ID of the club you are managing and then print the message if it's on the list.

If possible I'd like to see it be more complex:-

1. reference the number of appearances and use as a limit for when the message appears.

2. if the player meets the minimum number of appearances then reference their impact and incorporate into the message (MOM, goals, assists, average rating).

3. was the player a club captain or is he currently on the favoured personnel list. Reference this value and combine with the seasons since they left to decide whether or not to print the message.

4. if the player was on loan then only print the message if the encounter is in the season immediately after the loan season and if the player made an impact (could be judged by referencing appearances, goals, MOM awards, assists and ratings).

5. was the player purchased/sold by the manager which could be referenced.

6. if the player was not a 'legend' (criteria could be used) then only print this message x number of seasons after the player leaves the club.

Some kind of top down approach of criteria to filter out the 'pointless' players being given that message. At the moment it feels like a feature that was just thrown in and done so in it's most basic manner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As with a lot of features introduced in recent years, this one has all the depth of Victoria Beckham so anything that can be done to improve it gets a big icon14.gif from me.

I was gonna say something, but isuckatfm has already said it and better. icon14.gif

It really needs to "feel" like its taking into account service with the club: for example, Liverpool getting asked about Steven Gerrard for the next eight years if they let him go, well, that would make sense.

Getting asked about a one-time loanee who just played three times for the club? Ridiculous, even if its the day after the loan ended.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">6. if the player was not a 'legend' (criteria could be used) then only print this message x number of seasons after the player leaves the club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My first instinct was: if X > N, don't show.

( X = number of seasons after the player left club;

- N = number of years of service with the club.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I got asked about a player I had on trial for a week. Big Grin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First lower league game I had on FM 08 was ....Interesting

I got promotion from the conference north with a load of loans and short term contracts, When July came about I had a keeper a striker a centre half and two right wingers on my books.

So I did what i would do on older versions and, instead of wasting time scouting and negotiating with all the prem youths that had been released I just offered them all a trial. This way I know who interested in joining and also get some good scouting.

After having 60 odd Conference and Conference north/south standard players on my books at one time I just pray that I dont get relegated or stay in this division too long or its going to make the game unplayable.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">originally posted by Amaroq:-

My first instinct was: if X > N, don't show.

( X = number of seasons after the player left club;

- N = number of years of service with the club.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be a possible way but one potential problem with that would be regens who appear at say 15/16 and never make a significant number of appearances, then move on. In that case you would still get the message despite it being (in my opinion) pointless.

So I would add to that an 'and' type of statement referencing maybe the best eleven lists or fan's players of the year or favoured personnel or average ratings. I am of course assuming that all of this information is stored based on the way I can view it and click between different locations via player names or club names, and assuming it would be accessible to the code. I could be wrong though.

Just in reading this thread and peoples' complaints and ideas does make me wonder if this type of 'possible scenario' brainstorming was done when the idea was first introduced during the development process, and it is the same kind of questions I have about the board confidence module. They both seem either rushed or poorly thought out with respect to possible scenarios.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by spineles:

Agree its a nice feature but gets a bit annoying after your former player has played against you about 3-4 times and your still being asked about him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

3-4, 10-20, 30+.... it never ends.!!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by isuckatfm:

That would be a possible way but one potential problem with that would be regens who appear at say 15/16 and never make a significant number of appearances, then move on. In that case you would still get the message despite it being (in my opinion) pointless. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure - but lets say he appeared at 15, stayed at the club until 17; 2 years. I release him instead of offering a full-time contract.

No problem so far.

The odds of him coming to feature in a club that I'm going to encounter regularly?

Next-to-nil - because I didn't see him as a talent.

So then we're looking at the odds of him featuring for a lower-division club that I encounter in a Cup .. within the next 2 years .. so, yeah, I may see it .. but its not going to be an "All the time" occurrence.

It might still be worth special-casing with something like: "X is a former graduate of the Y youth academy. Do you think the club regrets letting him go?"

"He wouldn't be able to get into the team now.."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Just in reading this thread and peoples' complaints and ideas does make me wonder if this type of 'possible scenario' brainstorming was done when the idea was first introduced during the development process, and it is the same kind of questions I have about the board confidence module. They both seem either rushed or poorly thought out with respect to possible scenarios. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One does wonder ... icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">originally posted by Amaroq:-

Sure - but lets say he appeared at 15, stayed at the club until 17; 2 years. I release him instead of offering a full-time contract.

No problem so far.

The odds of him coming to feature in a club that I'm going to encounter regularly?

Next-to-nil - because I didn't see him as a talent.

So then we're looking at the odds of him featuring for a lower-division club that I encounter in a Cup .. within the next 2 years .. so, yeah, I may see it .. but its not going to be an "All the time" occurrence.

It might still be worth special-casing with something like: "X is a former graduate of the Y youth academy. Do you think the club regrets letting him go?"

"He wouldn't be able to get into the team now.." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon14.gif That's a fair argument. I suppose it would come down to efficiency versus probability of occurance as to which way someone would decide to go.

I sometimes tend to focus on the youth I know have potential based on coach reports or because I brought them in myself based on scout reports. In doing this I often forget about the lesser youngsters who my assistant keeps giving new contracts to and only get released/sold aged 20/21 when I realise they are clogging up my squad. If one of these had a CA/PA combination that would make them mid table quality in the league I am in (when I am looking for top quality in the league I am in) then they might get snapped up by regular opponents.

So if said player was generated aged 15 and got released/sold at 21 having barely featured in my first team, I would get that message for the next 6 years assuming he remained with the team competing in the same league. If they could put a 'stop' in the "X is a former graduate of the Y youth academy. Do you think the club regrets letting him go?" message that maybe limits it to the first initial meeting that would be excellent, or even if they could reference how the player has developed for his new club (number of appearances, average rating, CA change?) and change the message accordingly for subsequent meetings even better (admittedly thinking of the logic involved in doing this does suggest the potential for even more issues).

As you said though, not an event with a high probability of happening but still feasible, but as a cautious 'designer' I would go for the cover all bases approach icon_smile.gif.

Actually, yeah, I was thinking of the "initial cull" players, which would be the majority .. but I've certainly had plenty of guys as you describe, too, in a long-term game: 6 seasons with the club, let go, then picked up most often by a promotion-contender Championship club that, once it reaches the EPL, becomes a regular opponent. So .. yeah, there's probably more chance for repetition there than I'd want to see.

Some nice suggestions by Amaroq and isuckatfm, especially the one re: referencing the number of appearances the player made and his impact on the team.

I'm currently in the year 2018 with Stevenage Borough and I'm getting asked about players that either left the club at least half a dozen years ago or that never even played a single game for me and were products of my youth team that never made the grade. We're top of the table, European champions and one of the top five clubs in the world and twice every season (or more if I get Coventry in any of the cups) I get the media asking me how I feel about facing former Stevenage player Frazier Campbell (6 games, 0 goals, 2011/2012 season). The first time? Sure, it's newsworthy, maybe. The second time? Well, maybe if he's done an Anelka or Crouch and gone on to be a big success after leaving my side. The third, fourth, fifth, sixth... twelth time? Not even the Sport prints that kind of rubbish. I'm just using Frazier "Can't Score for Toffee" Campbell as an example here... as a keen scourer of the globe for youth talent I end up getting rid of a dozen or more "never made it"s every single damned season and at least ten of them play for other Premiership sides now (and only one of them's made any impact with their new side). Yeh sure, I can just ignore the messages and I'm not saying they're a bad feature (just a feature that needs a bit of work doing) but it would be nice if it was a feature that could be disabled or changed, just like the detail levels, database size and dozens of other settings can be. It's like a lot of the new features in FM08 - great idea with lots of potential but slapped into the game without enough playtesting or polishing.

And don't even get me started on my board in June being delighted with me winning the League, League Cup, FA Cup, Champions Cup, Charity Shield and World Club Cup all in the same season but being deeply disappointed with my 2-2 away draw with Everton way back in September... :p

Archived