Cheating!

Heres a quick questionaire to see what the community thinks about what is or isn't cheating, simply say if you think the following options are cheating or not! Simply copy the list and paste it into your reply, don't forget to change the answers of course.

Heres my view:

• Using Someone Elses Tactic - Not cheating but i think you should try your own tactics and not leech off other peoples success
  • Signing players from countries you can't even scout by looking them up - I think its cheating, especially for lower league sides who can make millions of signing foreign imports up on the cheap
  • Using a 3rd party real time editor or scouting program - Depends what you do with it
  • Starting from the top [taking over a PL side] - Not Cheating, but a tad unrealistic
  • Reloading if you lose a game - Cheating ;p
  • Selling players to Man city :p - :rolleyes:

whats your opinion?

• Using Someone Elses Tactic - Not cheating although using ones own tactics is encouraged, particularly when playing competitively (i.e. in a challenge)
  • Signing players from countries you can't even scout by looking them up - It depends on how strict you are. Generally: cheating.
  • Using a 3rd party real time editor or scouting program - It depends on the context. Editing stuff like your birthdate or superfluous stuff is fine.
  • Starting from the top [taking over a PL side] - Fine, seeing as the game permits you this
  • Reloading if you lose a game - Cheating although I have to admit I've done it
  • Selling players to Man city - Absolutely fine :)

Using Someone Elses Tactic - Not Cheating, although in some challenges it is encouraged not use someone else's tactics

Signing players from countries you can't even scout by looking them up - Not Cheating

Using a 3rd party real time editor or scouting program - Cheating

Starting from the top [taking over a PL side] - Not Cheating

Reloading if you lose a game - The most blatant Cheat on the game

Selling players to Man city - Not Cheating, more of an exploit

• Using Someone Elses Tactic - Not cheating. Not EVERYONE can make a decent tactic but still want to enjoy the game.
  • Signing players from countries you can't even scout by looking them up - It can be a cheat but if you already no of a player who is good but you cant scout its hard to resist buying him anyway.
  • Using a 3rd party real time editor or scouting program - Yeah depends what your editing.
  • Starting from the top [taking over a PL side] - Fine, seeing as the game permits you this
  • Reloading if you lose a game - Cheating
  • Selling players to Man city -No problem.

Using Someone Elses Tactic - NO

Signing players from countries you can't even scout by looking them up -YES/NO

Using a 3rd party real time editor or scouting program - YES

Starting from the top [taking over a PL side] - NO

Reloading if you lose a game - YES

Selling players to Man city - YES

Personally, I don't see any of them as cheating as it is up to the player to play the game the way they want. :thup:

Agree it's up to the player if they want to do any of the op first post. I try my own tactics but i also download some to see and compare player instructions etc and sometime tweak them ever further. If people wanna do this, It's up to them. :D

Cheating is a strong word. When the outcome is personal gratification can such a strong word be used?

Now if you were getting a prize for doing well in FM then cheating could be used. If your result affects others then it could be classed as cheating.

Neither of the above two points are apparent in FM so cheating's not the word.

Cheating yourself maybe, but I believe those two words used together is less harsh than cheating alone. If you can live with it then does it matter?

Just don't brag on these forums if you do change the natural course of the game.

Using Someone Elses Tactic - I don't think it's cheating at all. But it is best if you have a look at your own team and try different tactics and see which one best sutis your own club and playing style.

Personally I try 4 4 2 and just tinker around. Your probably best try tinkering in your pre season friendlies though as you could come unstuck in a big game.

Signing players from countries you can't even scout by looking them up - Why anyone would think this is cheating is beyond me. Just go into your team screen - then select search and then players.

Remember to clear filters and when your've done that you have the worlds best players at your finger tips. Only problem is you need alot of money to sign them. And chances are they going to turn you down anyway.

Using a 3rd party real time editor or scouting program - No comment...

Starting from the top [taking over a PL side] - I'm the manager of Everton and it's great. It's easier yes but still it's a challenge fufilling your clubs potential with the clubs current players. I told the board when I became Everton manager I would finish in the top half. So pick any side you want and don't push your expectations too far.

For example - Don't be manager of Man Utd, Inter, Barcelona, Real Madrid as the boards lowest expectation is that you win the league. On a final note - Just go for the team you want to manage, cheat, tinker do what the hell you want. It's your game. Enjoy. It's not like anybodys watching are they??? OR ARE THEY...

Reloading if you lose a game - YES THAT IS CHEATING - TOO RIGHT!!!

Using other's tactics defeats the purpose of playing the game a little. By all means have a look at them and alter them but loading up a tactic you've downloaded is pointless.

Apart from that I think reloading after you've lost is the most blatant means of cheating there is.

But who are they cheating? No One. :confused:

Not as if there is this big comp where they win a prize or something, it's that person's own fun and if they want to do that it's up to them surely. Not as if it's hurting or ripping off anyone.

But who are they cheating? No One. :confused:

Not as if there is this big comp where they win a prize or something, it's that person's own fun and if they want to do that it's up to them surely. Not as if it's hurting or ripping off anyone.

Well I accept that the word "cheating" is probably not the right word for this but it's not really in the spirit of the game to keep playing a match until you win. I got to the Spanish cup final with Villarreal (no biggie, I know) but it was my first chance of a trophy in 4 years and I was up against Barcelona who'd just won the league going unbeaten all season and with 4 games to spare. They got a man sent off and it was 0-0 into extra time, then Eto'o scored in the 118th minute. Gutted wouldn't come close to describing how I felt but that's the way it goes somtimes.

Well I accept that the word "cheating" is probably not the right word for this but it's not really in the spirit of the game to keep playing a match until you win. I got to the Spanish cup final with Villarreal (no biggie, I know) but it was my first chance of a trophy in 4 years and I was up against Barcelona who'd just won the league going unbeaten all season and with 4 games to spare. They got a man sent off and it was 0-0 into extra time, then Eto'o scored in the 118th minute. Gutted wouldn't come close to describing how I felt but that's the way it goes somtimes.

Yeah but if someone does that, How is that gonna affect you or any body else? It aint cheating at all. I dont do it because i like to play win or lose but really come on are you really that annoyed if someone does that? Doesn't bother me one way or the other because i am too busy concentrating on my own game and what i am achieving rather than worrying what anyone else is doing or up to.

If they re-run games until they win then come on here and boast, Then it is only gonna make themselves look silly not you or me. Cheating is way too strong a word to use for me, And as i said earlier if this was some sort of competition run by SI according to your results and achievments in the game then i would say thats cheating but it aint, It's a game played for fun. I think some people are forgetting this about the Football Manager game series and also forgetting it aint real life. :thup:

Using Someone Elses Tactic - Not cheating, although i do never do this anyway.

Signing players from countries you can't even scout by looking them up - Not cheating

Using a 3rd party real time editor or scouting program - Never use them, but not cheating.

Starting from the top [taking over a PL side] - Not Cheating, its a part of the game.

Reloading if you lose a game - Cheating

Selling players to Man city - Not Cheating.

• Using Someone Elses Tactic - Not cheating. Some people don't have the time to create a good tactic or can't get their head around the match engine well enough.
  • Signing players from countries you can't even scout by looking them up - not cheating, the feature is in the game, why shouldn't we use it?
  • Using a 3rd party real time editor or scouting program - Agree with you, depends on how you use it. Using it to find players to sign = cheating. I use them but I only use them to see how effective my training schedules have been, e.g. noting down PA of all my youth team at the start of a season then checking them again at the end.
  • Starting from the top [taking over a PL side] - Not cheating, not necessarily unrealistic. If you select a high level of experience it is quite realistic. Roy Keane, no previous managerial experience and took over a top job, same for Paul Ince.
  • Reloading if you lose a game - Definately cheating.
  • Selling players to Man city :p - Not cheating, they are paying overinflated prices in reality. Real managers are exploiting that, why shouldn't we?

Yeah but if someone does that, How is that gonna affect you or any body else? It aint cheating at all. I dont do it because i like to play win or lose but really come on are you really that annoyed if someone does that? Doesn't bother me one way or the other because i am too busy concentrating on my own game and what i am achieving rather than worrying what anyone else is doing or up to.

If they re-run games until they win then come on here and boast, Then it is only gonna make themselves look silly not you or me. Cheating is way too strong a word to use for me, And as i said earlier if this was some sort of competition run by SI according to your results and achievments in the game then i would say thats cheating but it aint, It's a game played for fun. I think some people are forgetting this about the Football Manager game series and also forgetting it aint real life. :thup:

Point taken. I'm not annoyed by it, I hope my post didn't come across that way, but I just think anyone that does it is playing the game in the wrong way.

Point taken. I'm not annoyed by it, I hope my post didn't come across that way, but I just think anyone that does it is playing the game in the wrong way.

Not at all mate and thankyou for taking my post in the way it is meant to be. :thup:

Nothing beats a good ole debate. The forum after all is about people voicing different opinions. :D And your point is taken and maybe "Playing the game in the wrong way" is a better way to describe this rather than "Cheating" as i thin that word is a tad harsh. ;)

I would suggest that, the later it becomes, that this thread be closed as is it is an open invitation for people to argue and fallout etc!

At the end of the day, cheating is a matter of opinion, and if its not your opinion live with it! What anybody else does in their games and as long as it doesn't affect you then what's the problem? Answer, there should be none!

People pay their money and have the right to play any which way they desire! Threads like this, whilst at the moment is discussion, could very easily be turned the other way.

I would suggest that, the later it becomes, that this thread be closed as is it is an open invitation for people to argue and fallout etc!

People have different opinions, doesn't mean that we can't have a good debate on what is considered a legitimate part of the game or not, closing a thread because it MIGHT cause friction is overly strict and defeats the purpose of having a forum.

People have different opinions, doesn't mean that we can't have a good debate on what is considered a legitimate part of the game or not, closing a thread because it MIGHT cause friction is overly strict and defeats the purpose of having a forum.

To a point i agree, I still feel its likely to end up in an argument however, but crack on!

Guest josh9393

• Using Someone Elses Tactic - NOT CHEATING at all, not everyone is a tactical mastermind, so what's the problem with getting a bit of help
  • Signing players from countries you can't even scout by looking them up - don't quite understand this, but if a manager has the knowledge of football without needing to scout, nobody can stop him using that knowledge - NOT CHEATING
  • Using a 3rd party real time editor or scouting program - It is CHEATING but changing little details is fine, just not ability or finance
  • Starting from the top [taking over a PL side] - Absolutley NOT CHEATING
  • Reloading if you lose a game - CHEATING
  • Selling players to Man city :p - NOT CHEATING, what's the problem with exploiting other's fortune

Using Someone Elses Tactic

not cheating but if you want to get more fun out of it and more accomplishment then perfecting your tactics is the best way to do so. ( does this also apply to training schedule?)

Signing players from countries you can't even scout by looking them up

not cheating

Using a 3rd party real time editor or scouting program - cheating i have never used it and am happy to have never done so.

Reloading if you lose a game - the ultimate cheat...although who here can say that in their entire cm/fm career they have never done this once :p

Selling players to Man city -

not cheating :p they going mad trying to buy every player in the world IRL so why not exploit it in the game 2 :p

Using Someone Elses Tactic - I always make my own , which are usually crap , but i wouldnt call it cheating anyway

Signing players from countries you can't even scout by looking them up - Not cheating

Using a 3rd party real time editor or scouting program - Cheating if you changing finacnes and things , but not if your changing something like birthdate

Starting from the top [taking over a PL side] - Wouldnt call it cheating , but i see taking over a top 6 side is pointless

Reloading if you lose a game - The biggest cheat in the game!

Selling players to Man city - Not cheating , its very realistic!

Archived