West Ham Too Ambitious?

Yeah I tried West Ham once, saw the requirements and gave up!

Totally ridiculous expectations to be honest, and i don't really see their owners wanting that in reality. If they said to Curbishley we want to be at least 4th in 3 years think he'd have walked away!

It happens throughout the game- I started as a bottom division Swedish club, and even though we have no money they expect to be not just in the top division but established there.

Confidence, another half arsed, poorly conceived new feature that can potentially ruin career games. icon13.gif

Out of curiosity I thought I'd see what the various Premiership boards had to say:-

arsenal: winner 2 years

man u: winner 2 years

chelsea: winner 2 years

liverpool: winner 2 years

villa: title challenger 2 years

man city: title challenger 2 years

newcastle : title challenger 2 years

spurs: title challenger 2 years

west ham: title challenger 3 years

everton: finish just behind top teams in 2 years

No wonder so many managers get the boot.

yep, whenever I get offered a prem job (and now I'm at Villa), the 'challenge for title in 2/3 years' seems to be a recurring theme. Mind you, look at real life, for 'challenge for title' read 'europe' or even 'champions league' (very apt as we're talking about west ham, who magnussen wants in the CL) among many of the estabished prem clubs with rich new owners.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deltablue:

yep, whenever I get offered a prem job (and now I'm at Villa), the 'challenge for title in 2/3 years' seems to be a recurring theme. Mind you, look at real life, for 'challenge for title' read 'europe' or even 'champions league' (very apt as we're talking about west ham, who magnussen wants in the CL) among many of the estabished prem clubs with rich new owners. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm nope, if the target is Europe or Champions League then that is what is asked for.

Theres a huge difference between grabbing one of a number of spots (a couple of which can be managed via cups) and becoming genuine title challengers.

Plus in FM its black and white- which makes it seem all the more harsh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George Graham:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deltablue:

yep, whenever I get offered a prem job (and now I'm at Villa), the 'challenge for title in 2/3 years' seems to be a recurring theme. Mind you, look at real life, for 'challenge for title' read 'europe' or even 'champions league' (very apt as we're talking about west ham, who magnussen wants in the CL) among many of the estabished prem clubs with rich new owners. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Erm nope, if the target is Europe or Champions League then that is what is asked for.

Theres a huge difference between grabbing one of a number of spots (a couple of which can be managed via cups) and becoming genuine title challengers.

Plus in FM its black and white- which makes it seem all the more harsh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't I just know it... icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Just started a new game in the premiership and wanted a bit of a challenge so i went for West Ham but was shocked to discover that in 3 years they want to be competing for the Title </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just create a good tactic and win it in the first season like I did! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> arsenal: winner 2 years

man u: winner 2 years

chelsea: winner 2 years

liverpool: winner 2 years

villa: title challenger 2 years

man city: title challenger 2 years

newcastle : title challenger 2 years

spurs: title challenger 2 years

west ham: title challenger 3 years

everton: finish just behind top teams in 2 years </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely most of them are possbile maybe not West Ham as I don't know how much money you get when playing as them. Man City have a bit of cash and a great team as do Aston Villa and Spurs. I would have thought it would be easy to win league with the big four.

I suppose it's difficult balancing it - as players we tend to get much better results

than an AI manager because of tactical 'abuse', buying good players often because of

previous knowledge/forum knowledge etc.

Saying it is possible to win the league in first or second season as e.g. West Ham reflects this

'bias' towards the human manager -I would imagine an AI manager could never achieve such aims

for the smaller clubs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by milenotis:

This matches how the owners talk in the real world; although I too think it is a bit too ambitious. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last season Eggy said in an interview that the club was aiming to challenge the top four in five years' time.

Pre-season Curbishley said he was targetting 10th place this season.

West Ham's wages are far too high - irl biggest earner is Bellamy reputed to be on ~£45k / wk.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Leeburn:

it is easily possible with west ham. i normaly win the title within 2-3 years.

there is nothing wrong with being ambitious! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think the fact that it's possible is the point. The point is that this level of expectation is unrealistic for a team like West Ham.

In real life they'd be happy to have had a couple of seasons in Europe in 3 years time, they certainly wouldn't be looking to sack Curbishly if he'd had 3 top 7 finishes but not broken into the top 4.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by arsenal_2111:

with players like Solano, Dailly, and Walker, why cant they win the league season 1?

Seriously though, its only competing, that could be 3rd or 4th place </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Daily aint at West Ham anymore. He's at Rangers

Athletic Bilbao want to be title challengers in 4 years in Spain! They can't sign non-basques and have flirted with relegation in the last few years. Thats just silly.

If you have an ambitious chairman who is willing to give you tonnes of cash, then I can see why he would be ambitious.

But even then, to challenge for the premiership in 2 years would require a few of the big four to become much worse. No matter how much they invest, they are not suddenly going to be better than Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea. Curbishley or Eriksson isnt going to be sacked if they dont finish 3rd next season, are they. They will be delighted with 5/6th.

The level of expectation needs tweaking a bit. For example, IRL the boards of the big clubs do not really care about the league cup or FA cup, and allow their managers to rotate in them competitions to ensure they challenge for league or european cup. Some of them treat the league cup as a competition for youngsters only. Why is this not reflected in the game? In FM2008 you have to make the final as a minimum.

I mentioned on another thread that the board should be more organic in its goals, almost with PPMs. For example, boards could ask you to:

1) value long-term financial security

2) long-term establish us in premiership

3) groom youngsters

4) play attacking/good football

5) win a cup, any cup

6) qualify for europe through league

7) regular champions league footie

8) revamp youth set up

9) save us from relegation

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scath:

Doesn't Lucas Neil make a huge amount...? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was initailly alledged that he earned £70k / wk - but that seems to have been a journalist jumping to conclusions.

The basis of that figure seems to have been because the player chose struggling West Ham over Liverpool.

If he was on £70k / wk would he really have insisted on a relegation get out clause?

According to Neill, West Ham are a club he admires traditionally and was impressed by the future ambitions. They made it clear they really wanted to sign him whereas Liverpool apparently didn't make a formal bid during that transfer window.

He also stated that his salary was within the club's wage structure - which was a newly promoted club that had recently sold off all its best players and was then in danger of relegation.

In the last summer, Magnusson vented his frustration at clubs hiking up prices of players and the allegations of super wages at West Ham. When it was rumoured that Darren Bent had been offered £50k / wk, Eggy responded that he was hurt by these reports and stated that there was no player at West Ham earning anywhere near that figure.

In OTF someone has just posted the 50 top earners in Europe:

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8191933985/m/6332026583.

A few replies down this has been converted into £s and weekly wages.

Notice there are no West Ham players in the list - not even Neill - yet there would be 3 or 4 according to FM 08 wages.

A similar article here @ the Daily Mail

Archived