New feature: Multiple marking

While watching a game today...Blackburn and Chelsea I got an idea...

...Anelka is pretty fast and his off the ball is top quality. Blackburn aren't an aggressive athletic team, if Anelka was up against Bolton they will close him down with 2-4 players.

In FM you should be able to man mark 1 player with more than 1 man, obviously the skills and the right men are needed but would be great addition and add to the realism.

Opinions please.

You can do it in the ways already described but...

Maybe it could be a set feature of its own where you can tell different players to do different things. Eg: defender 1 goes for header with opp target man whilst selected defender 2 stands off to collect flick on.

Or maybe this happens already. probably it does. i'll be quiet.

I've told my whole back 5 to mark a striker in a game before, and he still scored :(

Thats probably because that would never work in real life lol.

I have previously got my 2 CBs to man mark the striker when opposition plays 1 upfront. But then you need to be wary of any AMs so you would be better off getting your DM to mark Zonal or mark them specifically too.

So this can be done :)

You can do it in the ways already described but...

Maybe it could be a set feature of its own where you can tell different players to do different things. Eg: defender 1 goes for header with opp target man whilst selected defender 2 stands off to collect flick on.

Or maybe this happens already. probably it does. i'll be quiet.

It does, actually. The way I set that up:

Defender 1, usually a midfielder, set on "Man Marking -> individual", Tight Marking, middling mentality.

Defender 2, usually a defender, set on "Man Marking -> individual", not tight marking, defensive mentality.

Defender 1 always challenges for the header, goes for the interception, positions himself between the man and the ball, etc .. while Defender 2 stays goal-side of the attacker, and can collect the flick-on, challenge if he beats the first man, block the shot, etc.

When done at the right time, with the right players, you can pretty much mark somebody out of the game.

The downside is, you're likely to be exposing yourself to somebody else ..

.. but, especially when, in LLM, you run up against an on-loan "superstar", it can be game-changing to take him out of the play.

I've always had bad success having all defenders man mark specific players. I'll usually just end up having my better central defender, or faster in many cases, man mark the dangerman and then double up by having my DM man mark him as well.

Archived