The "I Can Play 3D, but prefer 2D" Thread

I don't know what it is about 3D but i can't get used to it. On my laptop it's jerky and on my home computer it's fine but i still prefer to play 2D on both. Even though 3D obviously looks more real, it feels more real on 2D for me. Don't know why, maybe it's the way the players move on 3D. I can imagine the game alot better on 2D. Anyone else feel like this or am i just weird?

I have a top notch PC which runs the 3D match engine easily but at the moment I prefer to watch the new 2D view instead. Not sure why but I think its easier to analyse where your tactics are going wrong by watching it in 2D and not 3D. I think its just after years of playing in 2D its hard to get used to seeing the game we love looking so different than what we are used to.

When I first heard about 3D I wasn't too excited, I really like the 2D

Having played it though, I think it's good, but I wouldn't rule out going back to 2D; I think it's better to see tactics etc.

And there's something special about getting excited about little dots on a screen that people who don't play FM just can't understand.

I have a top notch PC which runs the 3D match engine easily but at the moment I prefer to watch the new 2D view instead. Not sure why but I think its easier to analyse where your tactics are going wrong by watching it in 2D and not 3D. I think its just after years of playing in 2D its hard to get used to seeing the game we love looking so different than what we are used to.

Yeah same with me. Tactics are easier to analyse in 2D and you can see the positioning of your players in 2D better.

Another thing with 2D. If you have if on 2D rather than 2D classic, does anyone else get the players sort of "blending" and when they're shoulder to shoulder the players discs clash?

There are many like this but after I give 3D a few games I really came to enjoy the matches and doubt I will go back, Elevated view is great

Yeah, I like the elevated view in 3D.

I tend to flick into 2D classic from time to time for an overview when tweaking. It helps view movement between the lines more clearly.

3D definitely most enjoyable tho.

I liked the 3d it runs a treat on my computer it's just i will tend not to make any changes, (maybe that's me and i cant be bothered getting into the demo) in 2d classic it just feels a lot better and i will notice when more when players are having a shocker.

I'm using a mixture at the moment. I find when I watch in 3D I just sit back and watch the game, in 2D I feel a bit more in control of things and tend to keep an eye on stats etc. a bit more.

yeh thats how i feel, i don't think i quite feel comfortable yet with all the widgets they always seem to get in the way a bit for me, but i'm sure i'll get used to it.

A weird thing happened the yesterday tho as i was watching the 2d in classic view then i switched to tv view and it was the 3d pitch but it had all the 2d icons on instead of the players, is this meant to be possible or was it just a glitch. If it is possible can someone tell me how to do it again cos it looked quite cool lol.

I prefer the classic style. Its something that fm makes fm. If i want to play/see 3d i'd buy fifa manager or something. It's the whole engine that fm has that makes it the best football manager game in the world. that's what i think of it.

Roy

yeh thats how i feel, i don't think i quite feel comfortable yet with all the widgets they always seem to get in the way a bit for me, but i'm sure i'll get used to it.

A weird thing happened the yesterday tho as i was watching the 2d in classic view then i switched to tv view and it was the 3d pitch but it had all the 2d icons on instead of the players, is this meant to be possible or was it just a glitch. If it is possible can someone tell me how to do it again cos it looked quite cool lol.

I dont know how to do this either, please tell? I am falling in love with 3d though. My only gripe (taking into account all the listed gripes) is that the keeper when diving catches the ball with his knees. All the other gripes seem cosmetic but that one always make me think he has spilt it as he cannot be in full control of the ball using his knees only. Minor gripe though. Have scored a variety of goals including scrappy ones and the 20 yarders with the camera line diectly following the ball into the top corner makes me jump out of my chair. Have found I start shouting at the action as I would with a real match also - which Im sure my girlfriend will soon tire of! LOL

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I believe that some of the 'reality' comes from one's own imagination. I actually think it's easier to imagine a game's being played at the Nou Camp on the 2D engine, than on the 3D and I think the main reason for this is that only the pitch is displayed. My suggestion for the 3D is (until they are are top-notch) to allow us to remove the stadium graphics AND simply replace the 'endless fields' texture around the pitch with black, so the pitch is stand-alone, leaving the user to fill in the rest. I think this would have the same effect as the 2D currently.

HAHa this all the same as when the 2d came out for the first time. Bug-ridden and with users unable to comprehend all the changes and adapt to the new way of playing football manager.

I for one am SO HACKED OFF at SI for ruining the text only feature by

a) not keeping the text big and central

b) losing the depth of the sound FX, like hitting the post, and the ball thud of a freekick before it hits the back of the net.

The imagination is the most powerful gameplay feature of the series, thats why i loved the cm 01/02 and 02/03 versions and always will.

Now, the 3d match engine is good, TV view is pants, theres too much going on with the widgets and its supposed to be simpler, but its not. AT ALL. its time consuming to chop and change widgets and tactics and classic view with 3d extended view is great.

Once I have sussed how the new tactics interface works, I will be happy.

what i dont like about the m3d view is that

1.) when players shoot they look ridiculous. they all seem to shoot with their left foots too!! and the direct freekick shots are pathetic. at least get the ball physics right, its not that difficult is it? up and over the wall with side and topspin..PLEASE!

2.) its tricky to suss whats going on tactically. I have started to listen to the ass man just to know what the hell is going on, whilst i would rather look at it in 2d.. but then why should i look in 2d when i could look in 3d?

Ultimately, the 3d view makes the play look realistic and its nice to see lose little buggers do what u tell them to!

However, to understand the pitch tactically, i still like the 2d view CLASSIC

the new 2d view looks beautiful, but the clashing and fading of the players when they are in makes it aestheticaly challenging to watch.

To conclude, the 3d is good but I hope the manual covers the new tactic overhaul and how to get the best out of it. and TRAINING, please help!! how do i get my players to improve?

Archived