FM09 Demo...is terrible?

Downloaded the demo and I have made some observations:

The 3D match engine - the 10 second pause 'setting up' before every game is going to get incredibly annoying after a while. It is too jerky, the graphics are really bad and all I get is a piece of green in the middle of a sea of grey. It's a pointless gimmick that adds nothing to the game in my opinion. After two games I turned it off.

No matter what I do with my tactics my assistant managers 'feedback' is never happy.

I don't score more than one goal in a game, playing as Villa against some unknown team from eastern Europe in the Intertoto it is ALWAYS 1-0 EVERYTIME!! And then against Leicester in a pre season friendly I cannot beat them at all. I have used my own tactics, preset tactics and I even downloaded some that people say, 'work'.

Every game at least one player is injured for a few months, example - First game in intertoto, Agbonlahor and Barry both injured and out for two months, second game against Leicester - Carew injured and out for 3 months, And just to make sure it wasn't a one off, I have restarted the game three times just to see what happens. Each time the same thing happens, with different players obviously.

Another new feature, the media questioning bit, great at first then I set my assistant manager to do it because yet again another gimmick that grows old quickly.

On this evidence I won't be buying it. :thdn::(

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The 3D match engine - the 10 second pause 'setting up' before every game is going to get incredibly annoying after a while. It is too jerky, the graphics are really bad and all I get is a piece of green in the middle of a sea of grey. It's a pointless gimmick that adds nothing to the game in my opinion. After two games I turned it off.

It isnt jerky here, maybe your pc sux? And if your pc doesnt suck, they are fixing the prob in the patch. So stop moaning about it. Oh yea, you want imba gfx? Go play fifa manager then.

No matter what I do with my tactics my assistant managers 'feedback' is never happy.

Guess your not a tactical genius then?

I don't score more than one goal in a game, playing as Villa against some unknown team from eastern Europe in the Intertoto it is ALWAYS 1-0 EVERYTIME!! And then against Leicester in a pre season friendly I cannot beat them at all. I have used my own tactics, preset tactics and I even downloaded some that people say, 'work'.

Yea, you rly aint a tactical genius.

Every game at least one player is injured for a few months, example - First game in intertoto, Agbonlahor and Barry both injured and out for two months, second game against Leicester - Carew injured and out for 3 months, And just to make sure it wasn't a one off, I have restarted the game three times just to see what happens. Each time the same thing happens, with different players obviously.

ORLY? We didnt know that yet!

Another new feature, the media questioning bit, great at first then I set my assistant manager to do it because yet again another gimmick that grows old quickly.

Everyone wanted more media interaction, and now you are saying it isnt good?

A real team manager has to do this twice or more every match day.

You are a pathetic moaner.

He obviously only registered on Tuesday. I haven´t read all the complaints on all these pages about the yet as of yet, but he raises a few fair points. I agree with the match engine. The setting-up process is very frustrating, not to say annoying, and without taking the other doubts I have about the new ME into consideration, this alone will probably leave me turning the new 3D off alltogether.

I've been a fan for many years right back to the beginning, i have purchased every game and am just over 40 years old compared to a lot of posters.

I have played the demo, not as much as i would like but eneough to form an opinion.

Bringing 3D to the game is great, wasn't sure whwn i frst played it but the more i play the more i like.

I have seen brilliant reflex saves, full length saves, excellent passing play that leads to goals, a goal scored from the halfway line after a poor goalkeeping cleareance, a goal when the ball has rebounded off the bar and hit the keeper and gone in.

Without the 3D you would not get fantastic viewing, yes some of the display is frustating and it crashed reguarly till i played in windowed mode but the excitemnt it brings is worth puting up with a few glitches.

The transfer system can be a pain when you get a revised offer from another team higher than the original demand but i am sure SI will sort that out.

Not sure about the press conferences as the questions are very repetive and the computer then decides what mood you are in but not bad for a first effort.

I will continue to buy the SI games and not woried if it has to be patched a couple of times.

I think in the future it would be better if SI released a demo so the loyal and avid fans could bug test then put the finishing touches and send to be manufactured, but that would be in an ideal world.

Roll on the 14th.

Nice to know I just want to share my experiences and get called a pathetic moaner!! :rolleyes:

10second delay, yes time is money for me as I work full time and have a family so I cannot afford to waste my life over trivial things, I'm not a kid with loads of spare time! surely if it was written better it should only have to do the 'setup' once? And no my PC does not 'sux' as it was put. Dual core 3ghz with 4gb of RAM.

Yes I am not a tactical genius because I like to play games for fun? The game is written for the fanatics not the general public anymore, it started in FM2007 and is getting gradually worse. Keep telling people to go play FIFA Manager and you'll moan when there's no FM anymore because everybody is playing something else!

Everyone wanted more media interaction, and now you are saying it isnt good?

A real team manager has to do this twice or more every match day.

It's a game not real life ;) but you obviously don't recognise the difference.

Can anybody actually give a contructive response rather than a pedantic one? :D

It probably depends on peoples comps, it takes about 1 min for me, which isn't a big deal but is still irritating.

yea

mine is take 1 minute too

imagine this if one match takes 60 seconds then 60 matches take 60 minutes

we have wasted 60 minutes for it...it`s ...........

Nice to know I just want to share my experiences and get called a pathetic moaner!!

There have been a lot pathetic moaners around here lately, so I'm not surprised some people get carried away. It was a bit rude, though. I didn't see anything wrong with your post, except possibly the fact that you mentioned things that have been brought up quite a lot already. But I can overlook that! :p

Nice to know I just want to share my experiences and get called a pathetic moaner!! :rolleyes:

10second delay, yes time is money for me as I work full time and have a family so I cannot afford to waste my life over trivial things, I'm not a kid with loads of spare time! surely if it was written better it should only have to do the 'setup' once? And no my PC does not 'sux' as it was put. Dual core 3ghz with 4gb of RAM.

Yes I am not a tactical genius because I like to play games for fun? The game is written for the fanatics not the general public anymore, it started in FM2007 and is getting gradually worse. Keep telling people to go play FIFA Manager and you'll moan when there's no FM anymore because everybody is playing something else!

It's a game not real life ;) but you obviously don't recognise the difference.

Can anybody actually give a contructive response rather than a pedantic one? :D

I feel your pain. I have a family and a little time to spare.

About the press duty, I just take the first one give my thoughts and plans with the team and then on matchday I send the assistant manager that saves a lot of time.

About the graphics, I also have the jerky studdering graphics with a 2 GHz Dual Core, 2 GB machine which by the way can handle graphically rich games like Call of Duty and Battlefield, but these rather dull graphics, it can't... I am very dissapointed about that. Had to turn 3D off :(

On tactics, hang in there! I have been using the same two tactics now since 07 and with just minor tweaks over the years I have been able to use them with almost any team that I manage. May I suggest you read threads like these two:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=55418

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=57400

rashidi1 really knows what he is talking about and he is very helpful if you give constructive feedback.

Hope this helps you and your valuable family time.

I feel your pain. I have a family and a little time to spare.

About the press duty, I just take the first one give my thoughts and plans with the team and then on matchday I send the assistant manager that saves a lot of time.

About the graphics, I also have the jerky studdering graphics with a 2 GHz Dual Core, 2 GB machine which by the way can handle graphically rich games like Call of Duty and Battlefield, but these rather dull graphics, it can't... I am very dissapointed about that. Had to turn 3D off :(

On tactics, hang in there! I have been using the same two tactics now since 07 and with just minor tweaks over the years I have been able to use them with almost any team that I manage. May I suggest you read threads like these two:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=55418

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=57400

rashidi1 really knows what he is talking about and he is very helpful if you give constructive feedback.

Hope this helps you and your valuable family time.

Many thanks for your helpful reply (I never knew such people existed on these forums!! - That's a sarcastic joke before some kid thinks I'm being offensive), I shall give your tactics a go tonight when I get home.

I apologise to everybody if I have repeated things other people may have said, just didn't want to hijack someone elses thread with my own 'trivial' problems :)

I apologise to everybody if I have repeated things other people may have said, just didn't want to hijack someone elses thread with my own 'trivial' problems :)

Trust me, in the wake of a lot of what's been going on here lately, nothing you said was trivial.

I'm playing with Villa too.

Carew was out, Laursen was out, and Ashley Young was out. Barry got sold to Spurs for 11 million. Luckily i loaned in 4 players for cover and purchased 3 (Razvan Rat, Marcelo and Belletti) so luckily i had cover. Won a few games 3-0 and 2-0 myself.

I bought Marcelo too, is he the new tonton zola moukoko?? lol :D

Double post (sorry)

Why what's been going on? :confused:

Spend a little time looking through a lot of the threads that appeared in the wake of the demo's release and you'll see. Don't get me wrong, plenty of people have had genuine issues to raise. But there's been a lot of excessive hysteria as well.

Yesterday, I made up my mind I won't be buying 09 - at least until it's patched sufficiently to improve things. I've not already made a negative post regarding the demo, so please don't think me a perpetual moaner! LOL I think I've given the demo a fair crack of the whip too.

Things I like are the improved transfer code, home-grown status available from a drop-down in the squad screen, assistant feedback during the game, decimal ratings, motivation and PPMs being selectable without the need of tutoring.

However, for me, these positives are merely eye-candy - with the exception of the transfers.

What puts me off the 09 is the new press conferences (I know you can send the ass man but I've heard he makes an ass of it and upsets team morale - not surprising because we all know he makes an ass of team talks), no game/highlight speed slider, loading times (even after the smallest tactic change) and unfortunately the 3D doesn't run very smoothly for me despite a capable PC.

So these things are more important to me than an improved transfer script. A shame really, as I was looking forward to getting 09.

Hopefully it'll get adequately patched but I'm not going to hang around waiting to find out - I'm off to start an 08 career. I'll just keep an eye on opinion after the patches have been released.

Considering it's the first time people have even had to think about their PC/Graphics capability.

Considering it's the first time out for a whole different authentication system.

Considering this forum in the last two demo releases.

All things considered I'd say the reception has been exceptionally good.

I don't see any glaring problems that we can't expect to be fixed, or in the case of the 3D improved and perfected.

Quite a lot people will have to either get to know more about how their PC works and/or upgrade all or part of it.

You can blame FM for that if you like, fact is it must have been in the offing anyway.

So FM is terrible for many people, not because it's terrible in itself but for technical reasons.

In terms of the modules which make up the game, transfers/media etc. nothing is worse than it was imo and most are far better.

So imho the demo isn't terrible in any way, but getting it to run to your complete satisfaction, or even at all might be.

Don't judge the game too quickly. Every version of FM has been a slow burner.

I hated the 3D for the first couple of games, but once I began to realise how much more it offered me than the 2D i realised how much of a step forward it is. If you are going to play a demo, why switch off a major feature like this after two friendly games? At least give it pre-season plus four or five competitive games. Trust me, you will be converted.

Regarding the assistant manager notes, no tactic will ever be perfect, just as no players perfomance will ever be perfect. The AM will always have something to say, but you don't have to listen to him. If I am doing well, I don't even check his notes, but it's good to know I have a second opinon when I need it.

On the issue of tactics and not scoring a lot, I think that is just down to the learning curve. It will come with time. Pre-season games are no longer an exercise in thrashing the opposition to get morale up. They are there purely to get players match fit and much like real life rarely produce spectacular results.

The number of injuries is an issue, although it can be dealt with by lowering training levels. It will be fixed by the release date, so I wouldn't fret about that.

The press conferences have some repetitive questions, but I find there is nearly always some sort of surprise in there. Fair enough if you are not keen on it, but it is worth giving them a go once in a while - particularly for games where you need to get your players geed up.

Yesterday, I made up my mind I won't be buying 09 - at least until it's patched sufficiently to improve things. I've not already made a negative post regarding the demo, so please don't think me a perpetual moaner! LOL I think I've given the demo a fair crack of the whip too.

Things I like are the improved transfer code, home-grown status available from a drop-down in the squad screen, assistant feedback during the game, decimal ratings, motivation and PPMs being selectable without the need of tutoring.

However, for me, these positives are merely eye-candy - with the exception of the transfers.

What puts me off the 09 is the new press conferences (I know you can send the ass man but I've heard he makes an ass of it and upsets team morale - not surprising because we all know he makes an ass of team talks), no game/highlight speed slider, loading times (even after the smallest tactic change) and unfortunately the 3D doesn't run very smoothly for me despite a capable PC.

So these things are more important to me than an improved transfer script. A shame really, as I was looking forward to getting 09.

Hopefully it'll get adequately patched but I'm not going to hang around waiting to find out - I'm off to start an 08 career. I'll just keep an eye on opinion after the patches have been released.

I think you speak for most gamers with this statement.

Patches are a must. That will be why I will not get the game until christmas AT THE EARLIEST!

SI should just release the game in the first week of christmas so they can have a little extra time to perfect the game.

I also have an idea to keep, novices, casual players and die hards happy.... a difficulty rating system? and tied into that more or less options with tactics, on novice mode, basically choose a formation and then a style of play from the list - no messing with slider bars. On intermediate, a few slider bars and a general option and an expert mode with all the slider bars etc.

Just an idea, I know someone will try and shoot me down in flames for it :(

I

I also have an idea to keep, novices, casual players and die hards happy.... a difficulty rating system? and tied into that more or less options with tactics, on novice mode, basically choose a formation and then a style of play from the list - no messing with slider bars. On intermediate, a few slider bars and a general option and an expert mode with all the slider bars etc.

Just an idea, I know someone will try and shoot me down in flames for it :(

Quite the opposite:D a lot of tactical "experts" are doing exactly what you suggest at the moment.

I expect to see many more choices of default tactics with maybe tool tip explanations of the effect of sliders at some point.

FML is a brilliant testing ground for this and should eventually produce a host of default tactics which can be included in FM.

Quite the opposite:D a lot of tactical "experts" are doing exactly what you suggest at the moment.

I expect to see many more choices of default tactics with maybe tool tip explanations of the effect of sliders at some point.

FML is a brilliant testing ground for this and should eventually produce a host of default tactics which can be included in FM.

I totally agree with this sentiment. We've already had a lot of things brought over from FML to FM, and I don't see that stopping any time soon.

:D great, anything for people like me who hate tactics!! Still see the dreaded words 'slider bar' though... I would love an easy option without them so the casual gamer (me) can enjoy the game without spending half a night messing around with them! :o

:D great, anything for people like me who hate tactics!! Still see the dreaded words 'slider bar' though... I would love an easy option without them so the casual gamer (me) can enjoy the game without spending half a night messing around with them! :o

I understand where you're coming from, but it seems a bit strange wanting to play a game like FM and yet hating tactics! Tactics are a big part of managing a football club. I do understand that people have lives and time issues, but still... you've got to have tactics in the game. I suppose the best SI could do would be, like you said, trying to develop something simple for people whose time is more limited.

Considering it's the first time people have even had to think about their PC/Graphics capability.

Considering it's the first time out for a whole different authentication system.

Considering this forum in the last two demo releases.

All things considered I'd say the reception has been exceptionally good.

I don't see any glaring problems that we can't expect to be fixed, or in the case of the 3D improved and perfected.

Quite a lot people will have to either get to know more about how their PC works and/or upgrade all or part of it.

You can blame FM for that if you like, fact is it must have been in the offing anyway.

So FM is terrible for many people, not because it's terrible in itself but for technical reasons.

In terms of the modules which make up the game, transfers/media etc. nothing is worse than it was imo and most are far better.

So imho the demo isn't terrible in any way, but getting it to run to your complete satisfaction, or even at all might be.

I think this is spot on. After keeping a close eye on the forums it would appear that many issues are technical and not directly the fault of the gameplay. Obviously minor gameplay bugs have occured (e.g. injuries) but I have every faith that these will be rectified with 9.0.1... or 9.0.2...;) My only real issue is the loss of match speed and highlights sliders- combining them to make one slider has been awful. Please sort it SI!

I understand where you're coming from, but it seems a bit strange wanting to play a game like FM and yet hating tactics! Tactics are a big part of managing a football club. I do understand that people have lives and time issues, but still... you've got to have tactics in the game. I suppose the best SI could do would be, like you said, trying to develop something simple for people whose time is more limited.

I like formations and basic tactics! just not a million different options that make the game incredibly hard for new players or people who haven't got the time to spend forever tweaking, casual gamers like me.

I suppose what I'm getting at is not having FM without tactics but rather a dumbed down pick and play version, an 'arcade' version call it what you will, with simple options regarding defence and attack.

For example: choose a formation from the list, in this example 4-4-2, then a style of play from a list, for example defensive counterattacking. Done.

Of course for the purists and die hards this could be 'turned off' or chosen when setting up the game so that they can keep their plethora of slider bars. Which goes back to what I said a few posts ago, A difficulty setting... novice, intermediate and expert when setting up the game would go a long way. :)

I like formations and basic tactics! just not a million different options that make the game incredibly hard for new players or people who haven't got the time to spend forever tweaking, casual gamers like me.

I suppose what I'm getting at is not having FM without tactics but rather a dumbed down pick and play version, an 'arcade' version call it what you will, with simple options regarding defence and attack.

For example: choose a formation from the list, in this example 4-4-2, then a style of play from a list, for example defensive counterattacking. Done.

Of course for the purists and die hards this could be 'turned off' or chosen when setting up the game so that they can keep their plethora of slider bars. Which goes back to what I said a few posts ago, A difficulty setting... novice, intermediate and expert when setting up the game would go a long way. :)

It could get very tricky trying to code the game for two different tiers of difficulty, couldn't it? And also, I have never been one for endless tactical tweaking. I'd hate that. It's not something I've ever done. All I do is decide what formation I prefer and then set about working out how I want to play. After that, I don't make many changes.

Making changes in matches and altering tactics now takes ages

It never used to on the old one

And no, it aint my PC as i've got quad core 4256 MB Ram !!

Also, why at half time, when you restart the match, does it always say "applying tactical changes"

No tactical changes or substitutions have even been made !!

The match engine TV mode is so unresponsive

Also, has anyone noticed that the speed the cursor moves around the screen is much slower than 08?

Making changes in matches and altering tactics now takes ages

It never used to on the old one

And no, it aint my PC as i've got quad core 4256 MB Ram !!

Also, why at half time, when you restart the match, does it always say "applying tactical changes"

No tactical changes or substitutions have even been made !!

The match engine TV mode is so unresponsive

Also, has anyone noticed that the speed the cursor moves around the screen is much slower than 08?

turn it off like i did! ;)

It could get very tricky trying to code the game for two different tiers of difficulty, couldn't it? And also, I have never been one for endless tactical tweaking. I'd hate that. It's not something I've ever done. All I do is decide what formation I prefer and then set about working out how I want to play. After that, I don't make many changes.

Well not necessarily, all it would do on 'easy' would mask the slider bars and replace with an automatic system, that would move the bars for you depending on the style of play you chose? Well that's how I would do it anyway!

At least we're having a grown up discussion unlike some of the txt speaking kids you see ruining forums!!! :thup:

tbh i dont agree, everyone moaned so much it put me off, but once i got over the crash dump error thing first time round i had another go, played a match i won 2-0 with tactics i just used from FM08 and i didnt even do the instructions, nobody got injured and the 3D engine was fine apart from the setting up bit, i really wish people would quit moaning!

i really wish people would quit moaning!

Nothing wrong with constructive criticism ...

Instead of adding useless features, I wish SI would concentrate developing the match engine and training module.

The game can't progress until this happens.

All the hype that the match engine was better .... it's no better than the '08 engine. Why can't they see they training needs updated ?

What a disappointment.

Nothing wrong with constructive criticism ...

Instead of adding useless features, I wish SI would concentrate developing the match engine and training module.

The game can't progress until this happens.

All the hype that the match engine was better .... it's no better than the '08 engine. Why can't they see they training needs updated ?

What a disappointment.

Yet another person with the same sentiments as so many before. Now apart from the extreme fans who see FM through rose tinted glasses, why doesn't anybody from SI see that the game is not 100% right?

FM is perfect apart the match and training side of the game. Which is so disappointing :(

Downloaded the demo and I have made some observations:

On this evidence I won't be buying it. :thdn::(

I have only few minutes to answer you so sorry if some of my answers are similar or double posted. But I want to share my view as it seems that you are Villa fan as me :)

3D match engine - it depends on machine specs quality, it was little jerky for me, but I have turned off the stadium and everything is smooth on high details. Also the speed of setting the match is directly connected to machine specs. Poor machine - long loading and vice-versa.

I like 3D match, it is great to have it. One of the main possitives is that you can clearly see wrong offside decision (I have complained and FA was silent about my criticism) but 3D brings much more realism to the match engine. I can not imagine not using 3D now. 3D is fine.

AssMan feedback - it is good to have it, you can use it if you want, there is no penalty for not using it in ME. I like it, seems helpful to me.

It is possible to score more than 1 goal, my results with Villa were in pre-season from 4:0 to 0:1 and in the league 2:2 and 0:1. May be your players have problems with you as manager if you set your Manager Experiences as Sunday League Footballer (as me :) All of my players are unhappy that I have not enough experiences to move them into the next level. Their morale is low, they are playing not as good as I want and they are scoring less goals. But it is connected to my Manager Experiences set when I created myself as a manager. You just need to convince them, that you are good as a manager.

Injuries - it is known problem - lower training schedules, do right pre-season training etc. or just wait for full release and patch. I do not have so obvious injury problems in demo (except Ashley Young beeing injured for 3 weeks).

Press Conferences - I like it. It adds realism and you can play with players morales through it. It is needed if your squad is playing with poor morale based on that you are unexperienced manager.

Give FM09 chance, it is worth of it. I consider it as best FM.

Up the Villa!

How old are you? 11? you certainly act it.

Im 23 actually, and you want constructive feedback, well here it is then.

The 3D mode is awesome, runs smooth, no problems at all. And if you read the other threads, you could see that some ppl are having problems with it. SI is investigating this atm. And it will probably be fixed in the patch.

About your 10 sec delay, you dont have to play 3D mode if you think 3 to 10 sec is such a long time. If you dont like waiting, just go for the 2D then.

Your assman is never happy? Thats strange, because if you do what he says, and adjust the things like he want it, he shouldnt be moaning about your tactic anymore. But then again, you are the manager, so why listen to the assman?

The injury bug is already known, and will be fixed in the patch. So stop moaning about it.

If you cant win a game, there prolly is something wrong with the tactic you are using. Try to use ur friendlies to improve your tactic.

About the media thing, if you think it gets boring fast, then keep sending ur assman. That also saves your precious time.

Archived