Is the game actually cheating in my favour?

Hey folks,

now for something completely different.

More and more I get the impression the game might actually at times cheat in my favour :eek:

Every time it is really close at the last day of the season and if I'm or one of my mates in our network game is fighting for promotion or against relegation, and our own result is bad, the AI opposition team has a shocking defeat, often even in the very last minutes. I have seen this so often now that I wonder whether this is actually programmed to safe us from frustration...

Anybody else having that impression?

btw unfortunately that doesn't seem to apply for Champions League. I was one goal behind Valencia before the last match in the group phase and I played away at Milan and they at Celtic. They won and I lost :( but maybe the game just considered the situation to be too hopeless to cheat :D

Yeah I think that it does happen but not sure that it's the game cheating, if you look back throughout the season if your nearest challengers (which ever end of the table) play before you and lose then sometimes you will get one of those games that you can't seem to win no matter what you try! Superhuman AI goalkeeper anyone?

I've had this as well. If you try and relate it to a realistic situation, which is the whole idea of FM I feel, could it not be explained by the fact there would be great pressure on the other team so this could cause several games to be lost on the bounce... Citing Man Utd and Newcastle as my example

Maybe? For once, I need a win in my last match to progress to champions league last 16. I played the match and the score is tied 1-1 till 90 mins. An injury time of 3 mins, and suddenly my youngster forward who went in at 65 min got the ball at centre of field. The time by now is already 93 mins plus 30 over seconds and the youngster bring the ball past 3 defenders and scored a composed finish! By then the time is 94 mins... and the final whistle goes almost immediately after the goal!

Maybe? For once, I need a win in my last match to progress to champions league last 16. I played the match and the score is tied 1-1 till 90 mins. An injury time of 3 mins, and suddenly my youngster forward who went in at 65 min got the ball at centre of field. The time by now is already 93 mins plus 30 over seconds and the youngster bring the ball past 3 defenders and scored a composed finish! By then the time is 94 mins... and the final whistle goes almost immediately after the goal!

Let me guess, you were Juve or Real :D

I think the effect of pressure in FM is something often overlooked. Teams really can choke or rise to the occasion. The last 10 minutes of my playoff final in FM2007 is probably my bets moment in the game. It was real backs to the wall stuff as my players got nervy, but were clearly prepared to throw themselves in front of every shot and produced some real goal mouth scrambles as the other team got more and more desperate.

There is certainly good reason to think that the same thing may happen over the course of a whole game or even 3 or 4.

Something similar happened to me. Final day of the season, I was 2 points behind Chelsea and they had a superior goal difference. So I needed them to lose and for me to win. We were away to Liverpool, they were home to West Ham. I won 1-0 (goal in the final 10 mins by Tevez in his final match for the club before his retirement) and Chelsea lost to West Ham 3-0.

I was happy, but then thought that I was TOO lucky. Ah well, one more Premiership title to me

its called luck, i have maddeningly awful luck at this moment in time!

Me too...(York, League Two, third season start, me as a favourite to promotion) :(

FA silent over my criticism (wrong penalty decisions)

New key players injured just after buying them

Eccentric GK runs away from net to concede goal at the worst time (and really just only once)

Unwanted penalties with easy tackling

Fantastic combinations and ball technique of League two opponent players

On the other hand (Aston Villa, same time, third season start, 6th place contenders) :)

shocking misses by Liverplop (defending champions as they lost to me 1-0)

last minute 1-0 goal at home to luckily go trough CL group stages on away goals (Levski, 1-2 A, 1-0 H)

no ijnuries of key players

lot of goals in opponents' net in the last 5 minutes

etc...

Yes, this games has a strong luck/unluck factor and I must admit, that this is great motivation tool and fun.

Archived