is it cheap to put buy back clauses when you sell your upcoming potential young stars

Not cheap. I always do it when I'm not 100% sure a young player will make it. Sell him for an immediate profit and let the other team worry about his development. Then if he does turn out good, I can just buy him back for a similar price to what I sold him for.

It's really difficult to answer your question because it completely depends on the situation.

There is a certain risk with a buy back clause, because what are you going to do when a player doesn't want to come back and rejects your contract offer? Yes I realize that wont happen very often since it are usually big clubs that sell players with a buy back clause, but still. It is worth some thinking through.

A few things to help you make the most from this feature. After receiving a bid negotiate following these rules.

The future fee you'll be paying should always be as low as possible. So reduce the amount you want for him to a pittance.

Also you want as much as possible in case you decide not to buy him. So a 50% sell-on helps. Most teams baulk at 50%, but because you've also lowered his value down to way below what it's worth, value + 50% still = less than he's worth, so most teams will accept that too.

NOW add your buy back, so it wont get negotiated.

Then add a sensible amount after a international cap. Don't go mental. Couple of mill tops. This can be what screws your chances of it working so greed is bad.

Don't forget to add them indefinitely to the shortlist after they move, so you don't miss a chance to buy them back.

Now you've got a player off the wage bill who might turn out to be brilliant. If he does and you want him, bargaintastic. If he does but doesn't want to return to his old club, then you make a mint on the 50%.

Of course if he doesn't pan out for them, he wouldn't have for you either, so take on the chin and try again with another.

I usually do it if I've got three or four rock-solid first-teamers and some youngsters pushing hard for those places. By the time my guys have got too old, those prior sales are usually tearing it up. And available for 200k :D

Hope this helps.

VB

Archived