Do boards ever take injuries into consideration?

This season, i'm having the most ridiculously injury ravaged season that i've ever had in all my years of playing FM. I'm talking double figures with two or three pretty much out for the season. I'm having to play a couple of kids in the starting line up, and my bench is full of kids who are just not ready yet. I'm facing a relagation fight because of it (I came close to the play offs with much the same squad last year). I'm not moaning about the injuries in themselves. It happens. That's life. But will the board factor in the fact that my squad has had an incredible amout of injuries this year before considering my future, or do they just purely care about results and league position? Shouldn't there really be an option to speak to the board and say "hey guys look - half my first team are out and i'm having to play kids - cut me some slack"?...

Doubt they will. Never have when ive had a season ruined through injuries. Annoying little problem the game has. Would be good if they could. Love little challenges like an injury crisis. Thats the positive the game can throw at you at least.

I think board should not take injuries into account. It's problem created by head coach. By indirection.

If you have too many injuries, you as a head coach either practice hard trainings or sign injury proned players.

I dont think its that black and white..

Then the board should resign as they decided to sign a head coach who signs injury prone players and practices his players too hard..

I think board should not take injuries into account. It's problem created by head coach. By indirection.

If you have too many injuries, you as a head coach either practice hard trainings or sign injury proned players.

Ill remember that the next time my forward breaks a leg in the middle of a game.

Not all injuries happen to injury prone players.

Ill remember that the next time my forward breaks a leg in the middle of a game.

Shouldn't you be ready for that as experienced head coach? Why do you expect that everything will be fin in the middle of a game?

It's like in real life. Everyone has to prepare himself to 'surprizes'.

I dont think its that black and white..

Then the board should resign as they decided to sign a head coach who signs injury prone players and practices his players too hard..

Not really. The board is not in charge of club results. Whereas head coach is resposible for that. It's what we see in football, bad results always become a reason for sacking a head coach but not board members of course.

The game is simply not that sophisticated for the board to be takin stuff like this into consideration. They will simply act on results; which ultimately are the responsibilty of the manager.

Shouldn't you be ready for that as experienced head coach? Why do you expect that everything will be fin in the middle of a game?

It's like in real life. Everyone has to prepare himself to 'surprizes'.

Im sorry thats total madness! Dont know if were getting lost in translation but your telling me if my striker randomly breaks his leg in the middle of a game in real life it be my fault for not predicting that my star striker would break his leg?

Unless the players you sign are known to have injury problems like Owen, Dyer etc...how on earth can the manager be blammed for a totally freak and random injury. Not about "shouldnt you be ready for that experience" at all. Course your ready for it, because it can happen anytime but no way is that the coaches fault. You do medicals when signing players for a reason. A random injury during a game is not the managers fault as you originally put it. Fact.

Im sorry thats total madness! Dont know if were getting lost in translation but your telling me if my striker randomly breaks his leg in the middle of a game in real life it be my fault for not predicting that my star striker would break his leg?

Unless the players you sign are known to have injury problems like Owen, Dyer etc...how on earth can the manager be blammed for a totally freak and random injury. Not about "shouldnt you be ready for that experience" at all. Course your ready for it, because it can happen anytime but no way is that the coaches fault. You do medicals when signing players for a reason. A random injury during a game is not the managers fault as you originally put it. Fact.

Don't know why you pointing me at "manager's fault". I wasn't saying that player injury is a fault of manager. I was saying an experieced head coach has to be prepared for that. It means he is resposible for the final season results anyway, independently of any injuries. The experienced head coach has to have decent replacements to meet the season expectations.

Completely ridiculous to blame a manager for injuries. I have the same squad as last season bar three loan players, and I was fine for injuries last year. Injuries just sometimes happen. But it should be recognised that when you have games where you literally have double figures unavailable to you (in an already small Bury squad) that that might affect results, and therefore position.

EXACTLY! Glad you can see that.

The whole point of this thread was reference to someone have an insane amount of injuries. Never once in the real world has a manager been blammed for poor results if something of that scale happens.

So basically according to some in this thread in the middle of this season if Man Utd had a major injury crisis and was forced to play say 8-9 youngster with zero experience and nowhere near ready for champions league or premier league it then be the managers fault for not achieving success. Insane lol!

Yes as a coach you have to be prepared for the odd injury, Obviously!! But that isnt what this threads point has been or even slightly related to.

Completely ridiculous to blame a manager for injuries. I have the same squad as last season bar three loan players, and I was fine for injuries last year. Injuries just sometimes happen. But it should be recognised that when you have games where you literally have double figures unavailable to you (in an already small Bury squad) that that might affect results, and therefore position.

I agree that injuries affect results and manager is not guilty in injuries.

But every club manager is responsible for the results, isn't he?

For example, now Arsenal has 7 injured players, though its title competitors has so serious problems. In case of start failure for Arsenal (for instance, position below table middle after 8 fixtures), it would be very unprofessional if Wenger start moaning about injuries. The French has many other players who can deliver good results. Arsene Wenger, as well as other head coaches, has many decent players in the squad. More than eleven. I think he supposes there would be injuries getting prepared for that in advance.

But surely, he should not be blamed for injuries. He should be blamed for bad results.

In the end, non-football example. Your child gets ill. Should you as a father take responsibility and do something to recover him instead of saying 'Oh, I am so unlucky!'? It's life. Injuries are normal part of football, it is one of the reason why football players receive so high wages for that.

Raydenvm is completely right, its your job as manager to build a squad capable of success, not a starting 11. If your squad cannot cope with injuries you have not done a good enough job building it. A manager might be given a small amount of leeway in real life in this situation, but ultimately the results count. Your job as manager is to get results no matter what the circumstances, not based on certain things going right for your club.

My squad are good enough! We've been on the cusp of the play-offs 3 off for the last three seasons. But i'm not able to play my squad if they're injured! I'm Bury - we therefore won't be producing many world class kids...

At one point, I had 11 first team players unavailable to me. Show me anyone that has a Bury team big enough to deal with that. You're being ridiculous. My wage bill is 20-odd thousand. I can't have a massive squad.

You may have missed it, but i'm Bury, not Madrid.

Well my question is this:

Do boards irl ever take injuries into consideration? I don't think the Barca board would care if Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and Puyol are out for two seasons. If Barca don't win a price in both years Villanueva walks out the door for sure.

If I recall correctly Torres wasn't fit in Rafa's last season, whilst he was their top goal scorer the two seasons before that. The board didn't care.

Being Bury or Madrid makes no difference, you sign the players at the level your playing at. If your squad is too small and you cant afford anyone else then your paying your current players too much.

Is that how RL works? No. Smaller teams have smaller squads. Just the way it is. I have two people for every position. I have a normal sized squad for this level. You're clearly not understanding the scale of how many players I had unavailable to me. No squad at any level could absorb that without it having a serious affect on results.

Well my question is this:

Do boards irl ever take injuries into consideration? I don't think the Barca board would care if Messi, Xavi, Iniesta and Puyol are out for two seasons. If Barca don't win a price in both years Villanueva walks out the door for sure.

If I recall correctly Torres wasn't fit in Rafa's last season, whilst he was their top goal scorer the two seasons before that. The board didn't care.

You're talking about two or three players being unavailable. I'm talking about ten or eleven.

@QWERTYTOP

Okay, fair enough.

Let me ask you the following questions: Are your players happy with their training schedule? Have you done pre-season fitness training? If so, for how long? What kind of injuries are you looking at? Bones, muscles? At what fitness level do they start games with? In what minutes do you usually make substitutions? Are your players match ready when you play them?

@QWERTYTOP

Okay, fair enough.

Let me ask you the following questions: Are your players happy with their training schedule? Have you done pre-season fitness training? If so, for how long? What kind of injuries are you looking at? Bones, muscles? At what fitness level do they start games with? In what minutes do you usually make substitutions? Are your players match ready when you play them?

You're missing the point - i'm not moaning about the injuries themselves, i'm asking about board reactions to it.

You're missing the point - i'm not moaning about the injuries themselves, i'm asking about board reactions to it.

You're missing my point. If your players are injured because of improper training, why should the board take injuries into consideration? Besides, I'm only trying to help you to find out why you have so many injured players. Calm down mate. I'm not your enemy. Bashar al-Assad, maybe. But not me ;)

I had to go sit in a dark corner for a while as felt my head was about to explode.

I think the point qwerty is trying to make/point out etc....is its a freak 1 in a million happening. Like most of us he has got multiple players in each place within the team, his training schedule is fine (most likely) like its always been on all his other saves.

Hes just merely pointing out that should a freak happening like that occur would the board take it into account. That is all.

Answer in the game is no. In real life should something as extreme as qwerty has experienced happen then fans and the board would be understanding as long as the team hasnt underperformed or given them any reason to complain so far. Obviously its highly unlikely it would ever happen in real life to the extent you've experienced in the game.

Hopefully thats all that cleared up guys.

i get the same, i have had to limp through a season.

on my recent Bury save, I currently have THREE strikers out with bone fractures...... in September, what can you do?

the game doesn't actually help in that an injured player 8/10 gets injured again within weeks of coming back.

however players seem to consider it, as i had one wanting first team football, got injured, then said he was injured so you couldn't play him, at the end of the period

I had to go sit in a dark corner for a while as felt my head was about to explode.

I think the point qwerty is trying to make/point out etc....is its a freak 1 in a million happening. Like most of us he has got multiple players in each place within the team, his training schedule is fine (most likely) like its always been on all his other saves.

Hes just merely pointing out that should a freak happening like that occur would the board take it into account. That is all.

Answer in the game is no. In real life should something as extreme as qwerty has experienced happen then fans and the board would be understanding as long as the team hasnt underperformed or given them any reason to complain so far. Obviously its highly unlikely it would ever happen in real life to the extent you've experienced in the game.

Hopefully thats all that cleared up guys.

This is my favourite post of all time. :D

i get the same, i have had to limp through a season.

on my recent Bury save, I currently have THREE strikers out with bone fractures...... in September, what can you do?

the game doesn't actually help in that an injured player 8/10 gets injured again within weeks of coming back.

however players seem to consider it, as i had one wanting first team football, got injured, then said he was injured so you couldn't play him, at the end of the period

Two of my four strikers are basically out for the season. Although i'm five seasons in as Bury manager, so my only original striker left is Andy Bishop. He's one of the players out long term (like 4/5 months). At something like 34 now, he's basically finished. I hope I can shift him at the end of the season!

God I remember when my Norwich City were interested in him in real life especially after he scored past us in the FA Cup if I remember rightly. Never happened though for some reason. We were run like a complete joke back then though lol

Archived