Takeovers & "tapping-up". Would you like this?

I have lost my job following a takeover & it's a bit soul destroying, especially if you are performing ok.

I have never been offered to take the manager's job following a takeover.

I think a nice feature for future versions would be "The tap-up" where, as a very successful manager you get an email saying "Our consortium is trying to take over XXXXX Club and is prepared to invest heavily to succeed there. Would you be interested in the managers job if this happens?"

I feel this would certainly give some realism & excitement to the mix.

You are absolutley right & I quite agree Milner, but is it realistic and does it happen.... often? Also, this is a game and I reckon this would be a fun addition.

As the reply options, you could have from:

"I'd be really keen if you are making good funds available."

to:

"I'm shocked! This is highly illegal & I might have to report you to my Chairman."

I just like the idea.

i was talking to my mate last night and have come up with an idea, We all know that you can talk to the board and ask them various things. But what about the owners,? (Man U, Liv, Blackburn) A new manager at a club i think there should be an option to meet with the owners and ask them questions for example me and my mate have a carear game going he is at Bury and im at Macclesfield and i have Iranian owners and im curious to why there at the club and what there plans are?. Maybe an idea just thought id put it out there?

Ok Milner, I bow to your superior knowledge. Pity though, it would have been fun!

In any case, whilst we're on the subject of "Takovers", it would be nice if occasionally you were named as the potential manager the new owners would like to name, assuming you get an approach whilst out of work.

There is no "tapping up" for managers, you are allowed to speak to employed managers but most clubs tell the other club out of courtesy. However the original club can still refuse to release their manager.

Tapping up players is already in the game, saying you will do everything to sign player x is not allowed.

There is nothing in the rules that says you cannot say to the media you want to sign player x, what you cannot do is contact said player without the consent of his club. There is however an unwritten rule managers usually follow which means they dont go to the press all the time, but there are countless examples of managers saying they want to sign a player. You also have to have consent of the club before speaking to a manager, they are under contract exactly like players are, clubs have to agree to let their managers speak to other clubs.

Yes there is.

"A milder form of "tapping up" involves a manager's letting his admiration for a player at another club become known, perhaps by hinting at his interest while working as a pundit during the broadcast of a game in which the player is taking part,"

Can you point me to the rule that states approaches to managers are not allowed?

It's not illegal unless it's enforced in their contracts (and if you are a permanent employee, I don't think this is necessarily enforceable as it implies that employees have no freedom of movement. I am not a lawyer, of course.).

If you are a contractor, other companies are free to contact you with offers, and you are free to find a new company to work with. Breaking your existing contract, however, will have legal consequences - however, this is possible, just as any contract may be broken.

If you are a permanent employee, you are of course permitted to consider other job offers and/or actively seek out your own.

So it's not the same for the tapping-up of players (in the Premier League, at least, enforced by rules K.3, K.6 and K.8 in the regulations). Is it illegal? I don't think so. You're free to be approached or approach others, whether you are a contractor or permanent employee - it's just that breaking your existing contract or leaving your job may require compensation; and if you are a contractor, your current club may say "no" and tell you to honour your contract.

I'd be very surprised if tapping up ever appeared in the game even in a very discreet, mild form. SI just simply couldn't take the legal risks in implementing this feature. I do agree though that there needs to be more oportunities to interact with the board\owners.

SI just simply couldn't take the legal risks in implementing this feature

Its not illegal to implement it in a game no more than its illegal to implement shooting people in Call of Duty or what have you. It would be a pretty weak feature though, and it wouldnt add flavour to the game

Its not illegal to implement it in a game no more than its illegal to implement shooting people in Call of Duty or what have you. It would be a pretty weak feature though, and it wouldnt add flavour to the game

The difference is FM has real names, if Arry Redknapp taps someone up in the game. The real manager could then sue SI for defamation.

Probably not the best example but you get the idea. It will never happen.

Managers are different because your club has no bearing on any approach unless someone knows an example of where a team wanted you but your club refused.

Tapping up players is not allowed in football. That's why it's not in FM.

Just as bribing referees or match fixing. They exist in the real world, but they're illegal.

Might as well put in assassination of players who perform badly at big tournaments, that happens in real life too.

Better off just sticking to what the rules of the game actually are, and leave the illegal, shady business out of it.

they cant do it in game.. imagine the possible legal ramifications?

alex ferguson has accepted a job offer "off the books" to join everton after their takeover?

queue alex ferguson suing for libel and deflammatory comments etc

Sir Alex Ferguson is under contract with Manchester United... That contract can be broken, although it will probably be taken to court to determine compensation. If you like, Sir Alex is a contractor, working for Manchester United, their "client". Sir Alex will likely have a notice period specified in his contract, as well as stipulations for leaving. If he satisfies those, then there is no reason for him not to move if he wishes to.

Libel requires the statement to be presented as fact - given this is a fictional, virtual game, this is pushing it.

I am not a lawyer of course.

Managers cannot talk to other clubs unless their current club give them permission, i cant believe this is actually a debate.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7295084/Tigers-deny-Pearson-permission

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2049307/Derek-McInnes-line-Bristol-City-job.html

http://www.motherwelltimes.co.uk/sport/local-sport/well_give_scotland_green_light_for_manager_talks_1_279764

Thats three examples of managers either being denined the chance to move club, or their clubs giving permission for them to discuss moves. Football contracts are a lot different to normal working contracts, X42bn6, your as much a lawyer as im a programmer ;)

Managers cannot talk to other clubs unless their current club give them permission, i cant believe this is actually a debate.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7295084/Tigers-deny-Pearson-permission

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2049307/Derek-McInnes-line-Bristol-City-job.html

http://www.motherwelltimes.co.uk/sport/local-sport/well_give_scotland_green_light_for_manager_talks_1_279764

Thats three examples of managers either being denined the chance to move club, or their clubs giving permission for them to discuss moves. Football contracts are a lot different to normal working contracts, X42bn6, your as much a lawyer as im a programmer ;)

A contract can specify anything. Such a contract clause ("can't talk to anyone else without permission" is unlikely to exist in contracts in low-tier leagues, for example, as a lack of stability is a lot less important than the Premier League.

The interested club can still make an offer, as usually being a contractor means you essentially run your own business. Expressing an interest is permitted (nothing is stopping the club from faxing the manager an offer), although further talks are not allowed without permission if the current club doesn't allow it. The only way to stop offers is to prevent the manager talking to anyone in the world, except the club.

Is this "tapping-up"? Well, yes, and it's permitted for managers. The Premier League prevents this for players, but not for managers. Nothing is stopping a club from offering a manager an offer to join, although a contract can (and it appears "will", at least in the upper tiers) prevent negotiation.

Archived