WOW! Most amazing patch I've ever seen in a PC-game!

Where should I start off?

Well, first of all, thank you SI for making this beautiful patch!

Just after 12.1.0 came out, I started a new save game with AS Roma. Wanted a challenge so I had my reputation set to "none", or sunday league footballer. Well, to be honest when I first started the save I was frustrated out of my own mind. All my players seemed to turn off if i expected anything at all from them, and everyone got "seems uninterested" during the game... I thought this might was too realistic based on the fact that the Roma-players irl doesn't give a damn about the training matches. But it was the same when the Europa League qualifier started ,and then again when the league started..how could that be?

I thought wth and logged on to the forums to see if anyone else had this problem when leading Roma, but found that this wasn't a Roma-specific issue, it was something new in the 12.1.1 patch!

OOOOO, i thought to myself. Since I'm too goddamn lazy to play more of those training-matches than i absolutely have to, and the fact that my performances had given me a very marginal win to qualify for the Europa League (0-0 home and 1-1 away against ADO Den Haag) and a surprising and more than lucky 3-1 win home against Catania I figured I'd give it a shot with the current save game. Since the season was already underway, I only did some few adjustments to my already semi-accomplished tactics and got underway with the Milan-game at San Siro...

After being run over the entire match in every aspect of the game (except for possession where i acctualy had 47%) my team managed to get a very pleasing 0-0 result in the bag. I actually had a couple of half chances late on but there was no clinical finishing from neither Totti nor Borriello.

This result combined with the new information I've gotten from the forum really made the game for me. After reading the posts about low-reputation-managers will struggle to get any positive reactions from the players, I've been more cautious with the team-talk. I almost exclusively speak in a calm tone, cause that might give 1, or in extreme cases 2, postive reactions from the players before the game and sometimes up to 4 after the game(+1 or 2 bad reactions). I also found it useful to let the assistant manager handle the team-talk cause he's got a bit higher reputation than I do.

So, what it is that I love so much with this new patch?

1. The realism. Finally you can't just come from absolutely nowhere and think you can boss players that are 10 years older than you and have actually achieved something in the world of football.

2. Tactics seems much more important. Before every game I make a quick analysis of how the last previous games have been for the next opponent. I check for players that have low/high passing-accuracy, many tackles etc.. and make my adjustments according to this. Yes, it takes time but damn it's fun and interesting if you really love the tactical game of football!

3. A bug where the match-engine got stuck in replay-mode seems to have been eliminated : )

Lovely update-patch SI! Please take this with you into FM2013, cause if people think it's too hard, there's always the editor to help them out :D

I like positive feedback. If you look at the forum you see in majority negative feedback, and I think is beacuse the people who are satisfied with this game, or the latest patch, dont have the reason to complain or post on this forum. They are more busy enjoying the game. I would like to see more people who are satisfield with this game post on this forum, as it would be more objective perspective in relation to the game.

Absolutely agreed. I started as Spurs on the new patch and am loving it. So close between me and United for the title after a season of swings and roundabouts. Incredible to see how much detail you can go into on this game now and for once it has an effect!

realism ?

your reputation only goes up significantly only if you win anything.

taking underdogs team to finish mid-table meant squat in FM. also killing a giant isn't doing that much to your reputation. Max Allegri won't be able to sit in Milan's chair by now in FM reputaion world.

RIch_barnes, I find this to be untrue. Totti is my top goalscorer, and he's got 9 pace. Osvaldo is also putting lots of goals, and he's got 14pace. In general Roma is a very slow side (Jose Angel is the fastest player with 16) but I'm still the top scoring team in Serie A. It all comes down to tactics.

singtelsux, do you remember Chris Hughton? That's what he did with Newcastle and that only got him fired, cause HE DIDN'T HAVE A GOOD ENOUGH REPUTATION! Building a rep doesn't happen in a few seasons. It takes time. Now that's realistic.

It is much more difficult to build a tactic around slow players than fast players, since counter-attacks are the most efficient way of scoring goals in football. The reason for that is of course that when you counter an attack, the opposition is unbalanced and lack people in the defense. The efficiency of crossing is also low in FM, so big, strong strikers who aren't creative geniouses like Totti will struggle to have an effect on the match.

I haven't been able to make good-in-the-box-only strikers to work at all in FM (Edit: except Huntelaar, but his finishing skills are extreme), but then again I haven't tried too hard. The tactic I normally use works excellently with any fast striker, but also nicely with creative players - even the slow ones like Totti.

Patch 12.1.0 has made the game playable again. It was far too easy with the morale in teamtalks. Ive never understood the people who want the game to be easy and want to win everything time and again. Whats the point of playing the game if its not difficult and challenging. I have played Championship Manager and now Football Manager since the very first one came out all those years ago. Showing my age now!! :-) . I was begining to think FM12 would be the last one I bought because it was way too easy. In fact its been too easy for the last couple of years. I have friends who also felt the same way about the game. Now.. since the patch 12.1.0 its challenging again. As far as Im concerned the more difficult the better. Im not bothered if I never win anything!! If I do...then the sense of achievement is much greater.

So I just want to say Many Thanks to S.I for making the game enjoyable again. I am loving the game again!

I really have to concur here. I don't like to complain, but I can't get a result for *ahem* on FM12.1.1

I've tried my own tactics, I've tried using other peoples tactics, and nothing works. A game is simply not fun like this.

It seems like a typical SI seeing a problem then overdoing it the other end.

singtelsux, do you remember Chris Hughton? That's what he did with Newcastle and that only got him fired, cause HE DIDN'T HAVE A GOOD ENOUGH REPUTATION! Building a rep doesn't happen in a few seasons. It takes time. Now that's realistic.
One Chris Hughton cannot make a case. I can mention at least 3 for every name like Hughton :) TBH, Hughton did nothing so spectacular in his time other than saving Newcastle from relegation. Big Sam, Claudio Ranieri even McClaren :D got his reputation IRL not by winning much trophies. Next we have Leonardo (to Inter from Milan) Allegri (Cagliari to Milan), Gigi Simoni and many more. I know building rep takes time, but so far I noticed, you can kill giants as many as you like, take the lowest rep team survived just above relegation line as many times as you like, if you don't win silverware in FM, your rep is going nowhere. Bora Milutinovic would've killed himself if he live in FM world.

One Chris Hughton cannot make a case. I can mention at least 3 for every name like Hughton :) TBH, Hughton did nothing so spectacular in his time other than saving Newcastle from relegation. Big Sam, Claudio Ranieri even McClaren :D got his reputation IRL not by winning much trophies. Next we have Leonardo (to Inter from Milan) Allegri (Cagliari to Milan), Gigi Simoni and many more. I know building rep takes time, but so far I noticed, you can kill giants as many as you like, take the lowest rep team survived just above relegation line as many times as you like, if you don't win silverware in FM, your rep is going nowhere. Bora Milutinovic would've killed himself if he live in FM world.

You mention manager who started their managerial career with international footballer as a background. How many managers do you know of that has no top-league football experience in the past? How many of these had you heard of before they won a major title? just asking : )

You mention manager who started their managerial career with international footballer as a background. How many managers do you know of that has no top-league football experience in the past? How many of these had you heard of before they won a major title? just asking : )

The only notably ex-int'l footballer in my above list is Leonardo, and he haven't won't any major cup yet as manager.

Your post make a point, as an ex- sunday league players thing should get rough. :) Please SI, get rid of the STRING "Automatic"

Now, to answer your question of How many managers do I know of that has no top-league football experience in the past had I heard of before they won a major title, on top of my mind only one. Arrigo Sacchi. He made it to Milan by beating Milan Home and Away in Cup tie.

My point is, you may start hard as low rep in FM12, but your rep should build up by beating giants, or dodging relegation, or even make a brave fight against teams stronger than you. Rep should not solely based on winning ratio or silverware won.

Bora Milutinovic is famous for bringing mediocre teams to world cup.

Archived