Welsh League- Questions

Hello! Im exploring the welsh league and took over Afan Lido , a small team that i would like to take to the top. Im a bit confused with the structure of the league, since after december, the league splits in 2. Top 6 & Bottom 6 play each other 2 or 3 times, is that correct? However the league keeps the points from the beggining of season. What happens if a team from botton 6 gets more points than one in the top half? I guess that is a bit unfair :p

I was wondering also how is the clasification system for european cups in the league? Can a Welsh mate help me with this?

Thanks in advance!

One the split has been done, you can't move from the bottom half into the top half and vice versa.

It's very common for teams finishing 6th to have less points than quite a few of the bottom half clubs.

For example, here is the same thing in Scotland - technically Dundee Utd would have finished 10th in a normal league:

ClydesdaleBankPremierLeagueInformation_LeagueTable.png

I think pre-split points are kept to stop a team resting players once they know that they'll be in the relegation group, if points were reset to 0 they could have created an unfair advantage by resting key players to avoid injuries & suspensions.

whats the logic in 'splitting' the league in the first place?

12 teams in the league so playing each other 4 times = 44 games which is too many.

Playing each other 3 times (33 games) means an unfair advantage for those playing at home twice so splitting the league with those in the same half playing 4 times is a compromise.

Playing each other 3 times (33 games) means an unfair advantage for those playing at home twice so splitting the league with those in the same half playing 4 times is a compromise.

Try telling that to the Northern Irish FA where the NI prem is that format!

The split in Wales is designed to keep the league as open as possible. The team which finishes top of the bottom group (seventh in the league overall) enters the play-off where they can compete for a place in Europe. European football and the prize money that comes along with it, is the golden chalice for Welsh clubs.

12 teams in the league so playing each other 4 times = 44 games which is too many.

that sounds the most reasonable and fair reason. more money through gate receipts would surely only apply to the big games resulting in a wider gap between the top split and the bottom.

Archived