Can Mental Attributes DROP through tutoring?

I've read quite a few guides on tutoring for FM10 and 11 and they all suggest that Mental Attributes can DROP through tutoring if the tutor has lower values than the tutee, and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this?

I'm asking because I'm looking to have Phil Neville tutor a 18 year old promising right back. Neville has better mental attributes in every category EXCEPT Flair (Neville only has 4 whilst the tutee has 13).

What I want to know is will tutoring with Neville kill the flair of my poor, future star or any of his other attributes?

Also, is there any difference in the results gained from picking one of the two tutoring options you can ask the senior player to do (I think one of them says about "taking under his wing and mentor off the pitch" whilst the other says about "tutoring as I feel you can improve his game"?

The only visible attribute which is affected by tutoring is determination: the others are hidden ones like professionalism which can only be seen by using an editor.

^This^

Although you can get a rough idea what these hidden attributes are from the player's personality description and media handling, coach and scout reports (including any comparisons to squad personality), and training screen. You can also get hints from the different ways players react to various situations. eg team talks, media comments etc.

Influence doesn't change ? I had an 20 Influence tutor an 10 Inf young player and he got to about 13 Inf during this time...

Nope .. Influence can go up on its own ... while I haven't tested tutoring in FM12, I doubt they have changed that mechanic since FM10 & 11, which I did test. I have seen Influence increases, but they seem random. I have even seen a tutor with lower Influence than the Youngster, and the Youngster still gained 1 point of Influence.

I read one place in here that Determination is prioritized in personality reports. So if a player has 14 in all the hidden mental attributes, he will be listed as "Determined" (or perhaps Fairly Determined in this case).

This means that if your player has 13 in Determination and is listed as Fairly Professional, his Professionality is higher than 13 (likely 14 since at 15 I think he becomes Professional instead). IIRC Ambition is listed third in importance, so in this case you can assume that Determination and Professionality are both lower than 14.

Someone else could perhaps find the old personality guide thread?

I read one place in here that Determination is prioritized in personality reports. So if a player has 14 in all the hidden mental attributes, he will be listed as "Determined" (or perhaps Fairly Determined in this case).

This means that if your player has 13 in Determination and is listed as Fairly Professional, his Professionality is higher than 13 (likely 14 since at 15 I think he becomes Professional instead). IIRC Ambition is listed third in importance, so in this case you can assume that Determination and Professionality are both lower than 14.

Someone else could perhaps find the old personality guide thread?

Of course :)

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/213536-Tutoring-results-test

I see. In that case, would a player with a "Determined" personality be better as a Tutor than a "Leader" personality, if the determination of the former is 18 whilst the latter is 16?

It depends: determination is a very important stat, but it's not the 'be all and end all'. It's worth looking at the personality guide here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/16356-FM-Personality-Guide?highlight=Personality+types. too.

As an example I've got two very experienced goalkeepers and one very promising prospect. The older ones are a 'Model Professional' with Determination 16 and 'Determined' with Det. of 18. My plan is to tutor my young keeper (Det 14) first with the Model Professional, then the Determined and probably a second term with the Model Professional. If his determination has risen to 17 or 18 by the end of his stint with the 'Determined' Keeper there is a risk of him losing a point second time round, but I'd sacrifice that for getting his Professionalism as high as possible.

If a tutor has a really good personality type, such a 'resolute' or 'resilient' you're probably well advised to use them to tutor your best prospects even if they won't increase the determination for gains in things like professionalism and handling pressure.

It depends: determination is a very important stat, but it's not the 'be all and end all'. It's worth looking at the personality guide here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/16356-FM-Personality-Guide?highlight=Personality+types. too.

As an example I've got two very experienced goalkeepers and one very promising prospect. The older ones are a 'Model Professional' with Determination 16 and 'Determined' with Det. of 18. My plan is to tutor my young keeper (Det 14) first with the Model Professional, then the Determined and probably a second term with the Model Professional. If his determination has risen to 17 or 18 by the end of his stint with the 'Determined' Keeper there is a risk of him losing a point second time round, but I'd sacrifice that for getting his Professionalism as high as possible.

If a tutor has a really good personality type, such a 'resolute' or 'resilient' you're probably well advised to use them to tutor your best prospects even if they won't increase the determination for gains in things like professionalism and handling pressure.

Just be aware that the stats in the OP of the linked thread are not correct. Near the end of the thread is an updated one, with more accurate stats for each Personality. Also take into account his Media Handling Type, as that indicates hidden stats too.

Archived