Submitting hosting bids

It would be cool to be able to submit bids for the country you are managing in to host the World Cup or the continental cup for that region. It may sound a little unrealistic but I think it would be fun to be able to do that. You could even suggest that your stadium host the grand final. The game seems to pick hosts at random so I think it would be good if we had a little control over it, and even being able to persuade the voting members to vote for you.

The money spent probably shouldn't come out of your club's bank account though since that would be too unlikely to happen in real life. They could show each round of voting and you could even hold press conferences about it. For me this is definitely the kind of addition this game needs.

What do you think?

Not really a good idea in my opinion. Every nations own football federation submits the bids and it's not really managers business. And hosting a World or Euro Cup isn't like throwing a kids birthday party, you need huge infrastructure and stadiums. Although a better idea would be that you could release a press statement where you could praise your own nations bid.

Puevlo... name one football manager that has ever done this.

none so far, but i sure wouldn't be surprised if Mourinho attempted it :D

on topic, i think it could possibly add to the game. getting the world cup hosted at your country could raise the rep of your league etc for example.. Could be worth looking into imo

Well, aside from the undeniable fact that a mere club manager has absolutely nothing to do with the process of attempting a bid on a major event like Euro or World Championships, money is possibly the major factor why it wouldn't be possible (or reasonable) for a single club to undertake this process. While you'd easily have the spare money in your FM game, it would be incredibly difficult to justify using so much money without a direct benefit to the club (its owners or shareholders).

You must take into account that a World Cup bid will cost the FA and any other national organization in other countries between 20 and 30 million pounds. We're talking solely about the bid itself, this cost does not include any money beyond that point like you'd expect for the planning and construction of future infrastructure and stadium expansions. An undeveloped country will need to spend billions of pounds to get ready for such a huge event and at the very least, a simple club manager will need to bow out at this point.

All of that being said, I would love to see a bit more depth and detail to the bid process if it doesn't take away from other important features and changes. Every nation above a certain reputation should be able to bid for an event. If the infrastructure needed - which in FM-speak most likely only means the stadiums - isn't present, then the nation must be able to afford building it. I wouldn't know how to even start building a worldwide economy system like that, but maybe one should take the first tier clubs' wage budgets into account. After all, the ability to pay large wages to your star players is a direct indication of how much money can be earned by entertaining a country with football.

I thought SI confirmed that certain things being discussed here were actually in the game? I thought I saw it in one of the blog features before the game was released?

I definitely remember reading somewhere that in nations that were holding international tournaments clubs in those countries could have the grounds upgraded as a result.

Archived