FM 2012, offline.

Will we be able to play offline once it's activated by Steam? I've never used Steam before is it necessary to have it open whenever playing fm12?

Yes. Once the game is installed follow the instructions here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3160-AGCB-2555 and you need never go online again. Though it would be sensible to download patches when they are released (only via Steam).

If Steam can be used offline (other than having to activate it and make sure the game is up to date) why does Steam have to remain on your PC all the time you want to play the game?

Surely if Steam is offline all the time it would negate the need to have the software at all?

If Steam can be used offline (other than having to activate it and make sure the game is up to date) why does Steam have to remain on your PC all the time you want to play the game?

Surely if Steam is offline all the time it would negate the need to have the software at all?

probably a topic for another thread. but agree, once activated you should be able to uninstall steam, but asdly that does not seem to be the case. you will have to put up with the message "run steam in offline mode" every time you start up your PC

The chance of having a computer and no internet is quite low I would say.

One of the silliest statements I have ever heard and typical of someone living in a city. Many people have a computer without Internet. In the rural areas, there are many in England, a lot of people have no internet because either its prohibitive in terms of price or the service is rubbish, 1-3mb or thereabouts.

Also FM is a worldwide game and abroad there are many more computers without internet access as its even more restrictive, sometimes only one provider and charging 40 - 50 Euros a month.

To assume everyone has the internet is insane and a way of shooting yourself in the foot. I dont have such a problem but I know family and friends who have and your statement is an insult to them and others like them.

As more people get familiar with FM, sales go up and many people go to a cafe to activate but I'd love to know the number of sales in areas with limited internet, bet its gone down.

probably a topic for another thread. but agree, once activated you should be able to uninstall steam, but asdly that does not seem to be the case. you will have to put up with the message "run steam in offline mode" every time you start up your PC

Yeah I'm just wondering why the option to then uninstall the software isn't available?

Because if you always run in offline mode, and you brought the boxed version then what's the point?

Is there more to this offline mode?

One of the silliest statements I have ever heard and typical of someone living in a city. Many people have a computer without Internet. In the rural areas, there are many in England, a lot of people have no internet because either its prohibitive in terms of price or the service is rubbish, 1-3mb or thereabouts.

Also FM is a worldwide game and abroad there are many more computers without internet access as its even more restrictive, sometimes only one provider and charging 40 - 50 Euros a month.

To assume everyone has the internet is insane and a way of shooting yourself in the foot. I dont have such a problem but I know family and friends who have and your statement is an insult to them and others like them.

As more people get familiar with FM, sales go up and many people go to a cafe to activate but I'd love to know the number of sales in areas with limited internet, bet its gone down.

I never said EVERYONE with a computer has internet. I said the number without at least some kind internet would be quite low as a percentage. I can understand that there could be 'many' people without internet, but that number is still small compared to the whole gaming audience.

Yeah I'm just wondering why the option to then uninstall the software isn't available?

Because if you always run in offline mode, and you brought the boxed version then what's the point?

Yeah....Steam are paying to use this and want everyone to have Steam on their desktop incase you want to buy something else. Well done to steam but its crap really.

Yeah....Steam are paying to use this and want everyone to have Steam on their desktop incase you want to buy something else. Well done to steam but its crap really.

Yeah kinda thought that was the reason and the Sega 'cash cow' had come home but it is a bit daft.

well i'd say it to get you interested in steam and to buy games from them. if you uninstall it you wont ever look at steam but maybe one day when your bored you'll have a quick look around and decide to download some cheap games. marketing ploy

I never said EVERYONE with a computer has internet. I said the number without at least some kind internet would be quite low as a percentage. I can understand that there could be 'many' people without internet, but that number is still small compared to the whole gaming audience.

Actually its not "small". A of people play games and dont use online. They dont network or multigame, they just switch on, play and switch off again. How on earth do you think the Sims sold so much or Sim City before it?

An awful lot of people have computers and no internet, they just don't feel the need to discuss it.

well i'd say it to get you interested in steam and to buy games from them. if you uninstall it you wont ever look at steam but maybe one day when your bored you'll have a quick look around and decide to download some cheap games. marketing ploy

Blimey advertising hoardings in the game, Steam forced down ya throat, next FM12 will have in the intro....'your game will load after the next advertisment....we thank our advertisers for giving us money and allowing us to make our customers pay not only for the game but the adverts they don't want either'!!!!

Least with TV you pay for a TV Licence for the BBC and no adverts or get it free with other channels with adverts included.

Maybe FM13 will be free!

Because without the software the game cannot be run, think of steam as your CD drive from older versions, you could install the game, but if your CD drive broke, or you disconnected it you could not play FM. Steam unlocks the game, this must be done every time it is started.

Least with TV you pay for a TV Licence for the BBC and no adverts or get it free with other channels with adverts included.

No you dont, you have to buy a TV license no matter what, even if your TV cannot get reception for BBC channels you still need to pay BBC for the right to watch the TV you have purchased with your own money.

Because without the software the game cannot be run, think of steam as your CD drive from older versions, you could install the game, but if your CD drive broke, or you disconnected it you could not play FM. Steam unlocks the game, this must be done every time it is started.

I understand the game can't run without Steam but my point was why was Steam needed to run the game if it was just an activation issue?

Appears activation is a cloak and dagger approach!

Agree with this.

I'm in Manchester City Centre and it's only due to Sky taking there time anyway, like. But still.. Some people will want the game but have this as an obstacle.

Think I'll pop into work a couple of hours early and get everything set up.

No you dont, you have to buy a TV license no matter what, even if your TV cannot get reception for BBC channels you still need to pay BBC for the right to watch the TV you have purchased with your own money.

Never known a TV without reception for BBC channels but you kinda get my point.

Totally off topic but on this issue, the BBC charge for their programmes abroad. BBCAmerica for instance is a pay channel and they sell Doctor Who to European pay channels. So this money goes to the BBC yet they charge the British viewer for having access to a television. Also take Torchwood, its part funded by the BBC, license fee and yet its shown in the US before its shown over here. And there's no license fee abroad.

The majority of the stuff raised in here so far was originally answered here - http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/275972-Football-Manager-2012-Activation-Steam-FAQ

I have read that but the simple answer given by Sega is:

Q. Why choose Steam?

A. We chose Steam as they offer us the best protection against pre-release date Piracy.

My question is that if this is the sole reason then why can't we activate with Steam and then uninstall it?

Because if you can run in offline mode anyway whats the difference?

Archived